Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.179.0 Major - New HUD and UI

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Can confirm, Camera still drunk.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

They had crappy, low resolution, and static "scan lines" in the background of every image. It was awful. Scan lines should generally only be used in animated imagery.
    I actually like the "Windows 10" (it's generally referred to as "Flat") aesthetic and makes the game feel more modern, as it should...the team has put an immense amount of work modernizing the engine :)
    Flat UI design also allows them to scale to resolutions much better...

I understand where you're coming from though, and at the stylistic level I think the new UI needs more color tweaking and color contrast.

Yeah...it really is getting out of hand, the amount of merge mistakes...definitely agree there. Icons will be fixed today though.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. retroz Trainee Engineer

The loop option for the assembler is gone? Is this on purpose if so how to do we cook bulk items?

4. anybodysguess Apprentice Engineer

Did they add search for blocks in the assembler?

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Arcturus Senior Engineer

New HUD is kind of nice. I wish in the control panel view (inventory, controls, GPS, etc.) there was more distinction between clickable (i.e. buttons) and non-clickable UI elements. I knew what things were because I played using the previous UI - a noob might have a more challenging experience.

6. azr Trainee Engineer

Hi,
    The UI is great, found one issue with compatibility with other blocks: When you use flight seat or control station (is that what the seat with big screen is called?) the utter BLINDING LIGHT-ness of those displays causes the HUD to be unreadable or even invisible ( specialty the lower bar).
    i'd propose fixing it with the Flight seat and Control Station blocks - those displays really shouldn't burn your eyes out.

the one other proposal is to add some visual aspect of having a helmet visor on (there's a mod what adds a helmet visor effect) - I'd love to see something like a light curvature to the HUD or .. something suggesting that the HUD is actually projected on to the visor. (just a visual tweak)

keep up the good work!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. viper312005 Trainee Engineer

Other bugs that are back are the desync issues. Ship desync is back, one of my small ships disappeared and i saw it in another location. Knowing it shouldn't be there, I re-logged and then its back where it should be. I haven't seen this bug since January. I haven't tested the disappearing roid/planets desync. Anyone know if that is back? I would assume so but only played for an hr last night and never left render distance of my roid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. guran Trainee Engineer

I love the new HUD, great job!

9. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

any chance the standard rifle can't kill the Sabiroids?
    I joined a server and was shooting one blood was coming from it but it wasn't registering a hit......tried my tools...not effect...built an interior turret.....didn't target them at all.
    controlled the turret to shoot them.....registered a hit....but the smoke coming from the turret blinded its camera.....
    tried to take off......ship seemed clamped to the ground even though the landing gears were turned off because i hate auto-landing gears.
    at that point the respawn ship was in bits......not worth playing atm if Sabiroids can't be harmed...
    --- Automerge ---
    All bugs still present =C[/QUOTE]

New bugs this week

-tiny rocks you can't collect clip with the player and can accelerate the engineering unpredictably...sometimes killing,wounding or flinging him a distance away.
    -ore rocks that spawn from mining...........slide...........alot.
    -Sabiroids didn't seem to take damage from the standard rifle and tools...might of been the server i was on though....hoping it was the server i was on.
    --- Automerge ---
    All bugs still present =C[/QUOTE]

New bugs this week

-tiny rocks you can't collect clip with the player and can accelerate the engineering unpredictably...sometimes killing,wounding or flinging him a distance away.
    -ore rocks that spawn from mining...........slide...........alot.
    -Sabiroids don't seem to take damage from

true its harder to read the ui on lesser resolutions.
    800x600 i enjoy because im used to that resolution but the ui floods over the edges sometimes.....text is smaller....oh well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DeathOnAStick Trainee Engineer

I like the new hud so far, does takes some getting used to. looking forward to some mods for it that change design and colors

anyone else lose their save? single player survival - world file is corrupt =[

11. Salkcin Trainee Engineer

The new HUD is solid, however i would like the ' divider in grid weight for tons. i also think the wieght text would be better of with a uniform font to further make it esier read the text as the number changes.

i would also like to add my voice to customizable HUD instead of moddable.

12. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

Personally, I'd be pretty happy if the HUD while in a cockpit looked like...well...a HUD.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-up_display

I'm sure that will trigger someone as vexing too cluttered, but it would certainly make me feel like I was in a cockpit.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. heartlessdeath Trainee Engineer

New UI looks great but my game took a HUGE performance hit. I get just around 30FPS+- even on a new world and no mods. (60fps if I look up at the sky)

14. Haddam Trainee Engineer

Me and my friend after over a year brake decided to try SPACE ENGENEERS again!!
    After 12 hours of game play i can say: "******** this game" :eek:ops:
    Looks like they spend all year on making new models, interface, now this fancy UI and etc. But they still forgot to fix main bugs :):):).
    1. Ships still fly away in planets
    2. Dedicated server and client still coding two different teams (still don't know who is server and who is client, because dedicated server acts like a client). But now more then 6 players can play, respect.
    3. Made a ship with moving rotor and saved a game. Don't what to comment what I so after loading...:woot:
    4. Invisible walls, sometimes Jedi force pooling one way or other (this one is awesome but you forgot lite sabers).
    5. New scenario mission - nice thank you. But how long programmers spend on it? I am sure enough. Better they fixed game bugs.

it's a quote to end on - don't blame programmers who making this game, blame project manager who pointing wrong direction.

15. Zane Smith Trainee Engineer

It's nice that you've finally given us a velocity vector indicator. This was already solved by mods, but thanks.

Unfortunately, you've taken away the gravity vector indicator. You may not think you did because we have a horizon now, but it's actually much more difficult to determine the direction of gravity by interpolating between two sides of the horizon than it is to actually have it painted on the hud for you. The horizon is actually useless information anyway, because I could have just tapped my jetpack on and then off to align my character to the horizon.

It's strange to me that anyone makes space games that don't include basic informational and navigational features. You don't need those on land because you are literally surrounded by interesting reference points. But in space you have few reference points, so when you take away useful informational and navigational features, you actually make the game a lot less interesting. What your hud needs is more, not less. You should not only be able to get your own velocity vector but also your acceleration vector and the velocities and accelerations of any object you want more information about. Your hud should paint where you have to shoot to lead a ship and what direction you have to accelerate to intercept it. It should tell you your estimated time to collide with an object and when you have to decelerate to avoid crashing into it. These features could all be added in a way that doesn't clutter up your new artsy hud.

In general, huds are most useful when they actually tell you information, so anytime you deliberately take away information from the hud, you are making it less useful to the people who actually use that sort of information. You've made it more artistically interesting, which is a factor that gets completely overshadowed when someone is frustrated that they're flying blindly through space, crashing into stuff, or missing their destination.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Konscience Trainee Engineer

I think it may be an issue on your side, I, on the opposite, am having a huge gain in FPS since the last stable version : /

17. Bings Trainee Engineer

I really like the new HUD layout and the screen space it frees up. I would like a colour editor in the menu though, the dark grey is drab. I much preferred the old blue colours.

The HUD seems to be missing (or I can't find) the indicator that told you how many landing gears on your ship were able to connect. That's a useful thing.

18. Xanthyn Trainee Engineer

I noticed after the update that after using the view function to look through a camera, the camera will spontaneously revert back to cockpit view.
    I like the new HUD but it doesn't address the fact that managing inventory is an absolute nightmare. Please give us better tools for managing inventory!
    Lastly, I have been spending a lot of time working on immersive cockpits, and I have to say that the giant blue screen on the flight seat kills my buzz pretty hard. On the control station it matters a bit less since you snap to third person anyways, but the flight seat screen hogs up a ton of valuable visual real estate when you are trying to cram lots of LCD information into your field of view without losing your field of view into space for the purpose of piloting - this is especially true when trying to land in gravity and you are trying to look down and seeing nothing but an unhelpful blue rectangle. At the very least, let that rectangle be an LCD that we can display information on, or better yet, nix it entirely.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Cause: The target leading code for missile turrets, which predicts where to shoot so the missiles intercept a moving target, was not updated after missile velocity was reduced in a previous update. This code also contains a hardcoded function keyed to the previous missile default velocity.

20. Yeoman Trainee Engineer

This had been fixed a few weeks back. They reintroduced it this patch.

21. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

That new HUD looks sick. Hats off to the devs for their fine work. All of my YES with the new hydrogen fuel indicator. Been hoping for something like that for ages now and they cranked it out pretty much exactly how I thought it would look in my head. The hype is real for me on that one. Will be a godsend when testing out new ships. The bottle indicator is a very useful thing as well. Looks like I'll be putting in some overtime at the shipyards in the very near future.

22. Korfio Trainee Engineer

More hotfixes, no changelog. Keen must be ashamed of the fixes to tell us what they are. Probably cause they're all old fixes ported back to the new version. All aboard the merry go round

23. starmindfr Apprentice Engineer

maybe few minor changes not needed full list , like one hud feature re enabled

24. Registry_Editor Trainee Engineer

Very, very, very much agree with this. Particularly:

The ship inventory screen so desperately needs to be sorted out. For anything above a small build inventory management is a nightmare.

Also, could we please have the ability to rename inventory blocks directly in the inventory screen (not control panel)? Please?

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. Rhilianis Trainee Engineer

btw, you guys really, really, really need to keep doing the info for the hotfix updates that come out the day after the update does. I always come back to the forum the next day (after the hotfix) to see what it contained. More times than not, there is no info about it.. This is really annoying...

• Agree Agree x 10
  26. Registry_Editor Trainee Engineer

Fully agree with this. We need to know what was fixed in a changelog, even for small 2nd/3rd/4th etc. day patches.

Also, I fully agree that we need the units back on the HUD. Or at least the option to turn them on if you don't want it on by default.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. eviltek2099 Apprentice Engineer

Totally, how long could it possibly take to post a message here on what was Hot-Patched!

28. gmlviper Trainee Engineer

After so much time, the bug with the ship taking off without engines when unlocking gears in a gravity well still exist. Comon guys.... I thought you fixed that along time ago, especially since you move to beta stage. Stop adding things until you perfect what you have, its the only way to attract new people to this game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Korfio Trainee Engineer

Well, theoretically they could paste their version control commit messages, since they already share their code. Right?
    --- Automerge ---
    Keen needs to *convince* us they're doing sufficient bug fixing. Their track record is getting worse every week. So, the 2 minutes it takes to edit a post in a forum would have enormous added value to them, even if it's a tiny thing fixed. Also, why doesn't someone from keen actually address our requests to show changelogs in this thread? If there's a legitimate reason, I'll understand. Just ignoring us is not exactly the best way to treat this community.

It's great how they jump to hotfix things but isn't the amount of hotfixing an indication that SOMETHING is wrong in their development pipeline?

• Agree Agree x 5
  30. DanTX Trainee Engineer

I love the new UI but *PLEASE* revisit 360 controller support. I've spent much more time kibbitzing with Xpadder than I have playing the game. Sure, *some* of the original 360 buttons still work, but it's not really playable as is. Thanks

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.