Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.180.0 Major - Server Browser, Updated Character Animations

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Apr 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I've been holding it in since 2014, i'm positive i'm hitting some kind of world record soon.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. PLPM Junior Engineer

I see, I haven´t been in tune with the streams so I´ve missed that upcoming survival revamp tease. Then I´m rightly mistaken if it is so, I apologize about my harshness.
    Oh and as far as I know, we didn´t have any block be it complete or in a construction stage resembling a dining room or toilets.

I do use the cryo pod as a shower room and a 90 degree placed passage block as a bed, sometimes a half cover as a bench... just for lulzies.

3. jemccro Trainee Engineer

Not everybody follows development of the game or other people's creations as closely as I do. In today's update video it makes it seem like they are just adding windmills, but it is likely a part of the survival revamp. The dining room and toilets were accomplished using small-grid blocks. I don't recall if the entire creation was small-grid, they may have used one of the methods of combining the two grid sizes to get more detail.

4. Kibafool Trainee Engineer

Made an account just to post about this. This is actually the opposite in game. My server and game is crashing when ever repairing a turret to functional. I took a look at the discussion on this patch note release on steam and it is happening to people there as well.

5. Harrekin Master Engineer

Meh.

*cough* Medieval is way more fun *cough*

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

You know, for a very long time LEGO blocks were just blocks. Nowadays some people might say they've gone overboard but, you can still just use basic blocks and make some incredible things.

SE differs from LEGO in that some of the blocks actually perform functions. I take that back. LEGO literally has programmable blocks. My point is there's no such thing as "too much stuff" in SE. I've been saying for years that SE needs more interior detail stuff, and @Commander Rotal is a bit miffed that I use mods to get around that problem, and as @jemccro points out, all ships made from vanilla blocks will look the same (eventually). The kind of variety needed to stop that shouldn't come from Keen. The game needs a toilet from Keen, but I'd still probably use a mod. Trying to figure out what blocks are essential and which ones aren't will take a long time to figure out. In the meantime more fundamental things such as network stability and optimization of CPU/GPU/memory require most of their attention. Even things like how the character holds a tool is important and has to be factored into everything else that happens in the game. Things that seem trivial usually are not. Without access to the source it's hard to tell.

SE has no identity crisis. It's a sandbox game set in or around 2077. Everyone is an engineer and mining is what we do. No one is obliged to follow that path. If you want a story just make one up. I did.

What seems first and foremost in my mind is that anyone should be able to build an Amanda Tapping or Chilkoot Trail or two on their reasonably-priced (for gaming) PC and have fun with their friends. The server experience should be ten times that.

then there's that whole connecting servers thing...

SE is in a "bad spot" every other startup game would like to be in.
    You know, where not even the sky is the limit ;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Thrak Apprentice Engineer

Not to take away from these bug fixes, but HUD mods are now causing crashed to desktop and "World File corrupted" errors. This includes the Keen HUD Colors mod.

Other mods and some vanilla blocks (like turret construction) have been badly borked, too, as documented on the Bug Reports sub-forum. I will be grinding my way into my ship tonight, as several cool door mods now do not allow players to pass through when opened.

Again, not to take away from the advances made to this game in recent weeks... I am still having a lot of fun with this game! But... the promise of more testing before major updates has... yet... to be realized.

8. jemccro Trainee Engineer

At least we can sit down :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

My god, what are you doing with the external cockpit camera? It's back to not usable.

10. Arcturus Senior Engineer

I suspect the HandItems.sbc, which was updated today for the new tool 3rd person animations, is the cause here.

Also some of the easy start scenario files got updated. I looked at the changes, and see a player astronaut named "Skinface" and a message "Prepare to Leave the Escape Pod" in a "quest log". Weird.

11. PLPM Junior Engineer

Using mods is great and all, in fact I just recently started to tweak my Medieval Engineers experience myself. But SE has barely progressed in the "building" part of the game ever since pistons and rotors where first introduced, the hangar door block was a great addition to the repertoire of blocks but that was a long time ago, optimizations have come and gone, always. the last REAL, HUGE change in how one builds ships was the Oxygen-Planet update... Ever since then, nothing quite like it, ships are pretty much the same ever since.

I´m sorry but being a start-up game doesn´t mean the game is in a bad spot.
    Minecraft, the ultimate middle finger to most people and their conceptions of how games were to be.
    Hell, I´d probably still be playing it if it had dynamic moving blocks as SE does, Minecraft was incredibly well done, it changed A LOT until its release and it kept its vision while improving it. SE is not minecraft, but it was in a hell of much better spot two years ago.

The most pure sandbox I know is Garry´s mod. SE is a VERY different kind of sandbox... for better or worse, I don´t care for a story, I only want to be able to do something with what I´ve build other than publishing it on the workshop or crashing it into something. Hell, I´m actually thinking that SE is not a real sandbox, it´s just a glorified LEGO in space... and I had actually already arrived to this conclusion... Wow, I had forgotten about that.

Anyways... at least in gmod you can get a bathtub, attach wheels to it, make it noclip through walls and absolutely give 0 ounces about any original intention of the source material at all... No wonder it´s the golden standar.

SE has a world, a big one. It has procedural generation, planets, meteors, asteroids, factions, oxygen, AI, Cargo Ships... I don´t want that on the background, or to be just pretty stuff for screenshots in the end; All those big features deserve to be solid and engaging in their own way, not just building stuff.

SE has come a long way since crashing and building was the only way to have fun, I, ABSOLUTELY, DO NOT, want that to be the only way to have fun when it´s released, too much work has gone into it for me to see only 10% of it be used, Unaccepetable... However, I do not own the game and I´ve got no right to say what´s right or wrong... But when the game is so damn CLOSE to not just being LEGO in space, it drives me crazy; to absolutely be the next minecraft with some tweaks, to absolutely be the next game that sets the stone... The expansive world is there, the assets are there, the EXTREME building freedom, is. there.

I want to recommend SE again as I did years ago to my friends, to blow them away with what you can do in SE and nowhere else... And I can´t do that, I simply can´t.
    --- Automerge ---
    Yeah, weird...

I´d much rather have the astronaut called "Meatbag" though...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

heyyyyy little rocks made from hand mining no longer brutally kill me! :D
    im very greatful for that.

....but :3
    unconstructed medical centre...the engineer can walk though.......potentially killing him when i tries to build the thing that suppose to save him.
    also landed nicely locked landing gears got out of the chair and instantly died.
    dem spiders are also learning how to jump out of orbit.
    ..........the drill and rifle are held away from the engineer's hands......i was able unable to equip the tier 1 drill at the start but respawning fixed that...strange... :/

don't get me wrong im uber glad those little rocks don't kill me they made hand mining almost impossible and thus part of survival.
    and with the tease of wheels and windmills im pretty happy.

I've a bug report video in the works it'll be up soon enough.
    mostly just visual things...fingers moving through tools while jetpacking around...engineers wrist stretching....the spiders latching onto the enigneer making me think the spiders are to walk on walls or something..

also a few rocks spawned in the air on the alien planet....any attempt to land on them..plant a flag and build on them resulted in a awful awful framerate...i fear i've seen this elsewhere. :(

13. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

You have nothing to apologize for. It's not your fault @Xocliw puts vital context for the fucking teasers in his technically private streams. That's how people jump to conclusions about weather when the goddamn windchimes are probably just going to detect atmosphere and natural gravity (because i imagine they don't want them used on starships).

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I bet you bought your shover from samw place my student dorm did

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. DrakoZ Trainee Engineer

Only I had problems with LODs ?
    But only if i include mods.
    The game automatically replaces the original models with those that were registered in the LOD independent of the distance.

I certainly understood how to solve the problem, but I do not want to increase the size of the mod because of this ....

16. Cetric Junior Engineer

I can confirm this from my session last night. Was hovering in front of one of Shu's wonderful doors in circle design with sliding wings and could not get through, despite having it opened.
    So does this mean all door modders have to update their work to match Keen or does Keen have to review their handling of them modded doors? [For having accidentially implemented a bug]

17. wooley2000 Trainee Engineer

Hello I'm posting this here after the update yesterday LCD screens are causing the lights to go from bright to dark and back to bright repeatedly. Also something is wrong with doors when i remove a door and build another in its place I cant pass through it. I agree with the other post above we need the dev branch back until the game is finished, and also the developers need to run dedicated servers of their own so they can see how many problems threre are with lots of people playing at the same time. Pls fix soon my server is now dead and I cant play the game like this. Thxs

18. Fengist Trainee Engineer

Nice patch. I can now hide the space ball but in exchange I get this? Seriously???

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Jananton Trainee Engineer

Looks like an interesting update and fixes list. I wonder if it's wind farms or maybe something else that's shown in the end. ;)

Keep up the good work guys. :tu:

Greets and Happy Easter,

Jan

20. Harrekin Master Engineer

Would/could someone explain to me how this is a "Major" update?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

after about 20 minutes of playing
    -the drill and rifle aren't being held by the engineer their seriously misaligned.
    -had to respawn to acutally equip the mk1 hand drill
    -you can walk through the unconstructed medical centres
    -and the spiders can fling themselves miles into the air...and cling onto the player.

but im grateful the little rocks made from mining no longer have an effect on the player....a very well needed change to make hand mining not as suicidal as before

https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/01-180-0-some-quick-bugs-recorded-on-video.7394222/

22. Konscience Trainee Engineer

The server research overhaul is a big change in all the database structure of "how server are categorized" and also a big change to the algorithms for requesting the actual servers list.
    You could think it has no direct impact on the game itself (in terms of game-play and in game experience) but MP players will tell you otherwise.
    Major does not mean "X game changing feature has been added", it just mean, a big chunk has been changed and will absolutelymay introduce bugs so a new batch of smaller release will polish and fixes theses bugs.

23. Oskarowski Trainee Engineer

:D invisable blocks preventing from passing through doors and elevators. Detected after less then 5 min. Another great major update :tu::tu::tu: as usual (don't mind the sarcastic or ironic words)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. halipatsui Senior Engineer

You should be able to reroll back to last major update

25. TheeScrub Apprentice Engineer

So exploding landing gears seems to be back. Yeh!
    Landed on my ship and locked the gear. Ship started to shake, so i unlocked the gears and ship stopped shaking. Locked them again and boom, ship is gone and half the landing bay is gone. Are we back to Alpha now?

26. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

99 little bugs in the code.
    Take one down, patch it around,
    127 little bug in the code...

i also did the usual things that causes that ships floating upwards magically bug but it didn't happen. :p
    maybe i got lucky and didn't make the offending code appear...who knows.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  27. Cassius Faux Apprentice Engineer

As much as I hate to say it. I don't think the game properly left alpha.

Nice amount of fixes though. Just hope they keep rolling out more and more, and that wheels will be at least brought to relatively functional status.

• Agree Agree x 4
  28. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

the thing that makes me sad was wheels used to function awesomely.
    like they were awesome for driving recklessly across planets
    then they started to sink into the ground and the engine treated it as a high speed impact
    fancy block update came along and make it almost impossiable to drive without a gyroscope and the handbrake was pretty worthless in terms of reasonable stopping distance.

but oh well the fact a teaser is showing with the wheels makes me happy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. gordon861 Apprentice Engineer

Hotfix incoming?

Any chance of notes ...

30. odizzido Junior Engineer

I hope it's the camera....checking it now.

edit-------
    yeah camera seems to be working again

• Agree Agree x 1
  31. 666Savior Apprentice Engineer

it looks like they are more and more leaning into adding aerodynamics into the game. First with the parachutes, now with the windmills. Fingers crossed. I dont even care if its a simplistic version i'd still want it.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.