Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 02.014 - Large roof tiles, Battlements, Platforms

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

Summary:
    In this week’s update, we've added more roof tiles and big radius battlements/platforms into the game.

Multiplayer is coming soon! Our team is working on some final details together with various other important features, so expect to hear more during the upcoming weeks... Stay tuned!

Features:
    - advanced battlement, platforms (big radius)
    - new roof piece

New blocks:
    - RoofTileLargeRound
    - StonePlatformRoundLarge
    - StoneBattlementRoundLargeCenter

Fixes:
    - fixed cannot step onto wooden floor from spiral stairs
    - fixed particle effects LODs missing (major source of a slowdown)
    - fixed few crashes here and there

EDIT 04/29/2015: Update 02.014.003

- fixed fire particle effects missing
    - fixed crashes with deer collisions and when deer uses tools

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 12
  2. Wolf

Nice. Time to play this game again.

3. HunterX

Multiplayer is coming soon!:D

4. tharkus

well, again my guessing about more survival content was wrong heh! but this update is welcome as all.
    (even if its small :p )
    good work KSH!

5. Arona_Daal

MULTIPLAYER! YAY! AND more roof tiles! Someone on this team I feel has a roof fetish hehe every week seems like we have new roof tiles! Not complaining, just stating! :)

6. Wintersend

Yes! Although it might be good to separate out the roof tiles a bit more. Lots of scrolling is needed atm.

7. Ash87

Booooooooo

No, don't work on MP... work on Survival, and get MP working in SE, before you apply it to ME!

This didn't work out, Last time. Don't launch MP too early like with SE.

8. PhoenixTheSage

I disagree. This just means they've been working on incorporating it much earlier than Space Engineers. The main problem with SE that set them back was that it wasn't planned from the start so no they are still having to fix the issues there. Doing MP early with ME will ensure better integration, especially for survival and dedicated servers.

9. Alfalfa

Architectural hard-on at full strength.

10. Lord Haydawg

Is it just me, or are these "new building blocks" updates getting boring and repetitive?

11. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

We did it! We finally did it! We bore people with weekly updates! :D
    But seriously - we are working on big features (as shown in the video), that's why last 2 updates seem to be "boring" :) With Space Engineers we stopped updating the game for 2 weeks before multiplayer (the only time we stopped updating actually), we wanted to give you at least something this time :)

• Like Like x 4
  12. Conradian Moderator

@Drui I wouldn't apologise for @Lord Haydawg's view. The game needs blocks. They're kinda fundamental to a block-building game. I'm not gonna complain about that. But can't wait for multiplayer, my castle is ready.

13. AlphaWolf777

I'm really happy about new blocks. Honestly what I really want in this game is more blocks, more texture variations for each block, (more types of material than just stone, like bricks, stone bricks, stone blocks, tiled stone bricks, different colors and patterns of cobblestone etc. and different designs/patterns for the wood wall blocks, like a version with many wood beams like Tudor style and other classical half-timber styles from real medieval European castles, a version with an x shape of wood, a version without the middle wood piece etc.), more decoration pieces like furniture, scenery etc., glass windows, screen windows, doors, more handy tools for editing the map (tree/foliage placement/removal tools), water, and maybe more and/or bigger maps and/or a map generator, even a basic one. Also, maps with streams, rivers, ponds, lakes, and ocean/coastline.

I would be really happy with all that stuff; so for me, block updates/building updates are the MOST exciting updates for me!!! Because I just love to build stuff! :pbjt:

14. Sapphiro

I mostly use single player mode, so I hope you will keep to release these little update with new blocks (I love and need it). Don't forget it when multiplayer will be released! :)

15. Bumber

@Drui
    So will ME be using the new networking library, or is it using the current (Steam networking) stuff like SE until whenever that shift occurs?

16. Sythius

They have more than one devloping team, they have people working on SE and ME at the same time. Even if survival is not ready Multiplayer Creative mode i still going to be very fun.

I don't know myself but i will expect that they have already implemented the new Network Manager into ME and probably changing SE to be the same.

As always another great update! The game is making real progress.

17. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

EDIT 04/29/2015: Update 02.014.003
    - fixed fire particle effects missing
    - fixed crashes with deer collisions and when deer uses tools

• Like Like x 1
  18. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

It will use the current SE multiplayer library (we wanted to push multiplayer to you as soon as possible)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Schnitzel

Keen software house is the EPIPHANY of perfection.

• Like Like x 1
  20. tharkus

i was thinking the devs was going to add more survival content first, to play with in Multiplayer.
    but well :p

21. Sythius

Ah ok no problem. I am happy to wait for when it's ready, but I understand why people want to play it right now because it's going to be amazing :)

Don't know how much Survival content will come out with Multiplayer but I wouldn't mind having prevent block destuction and killing at first, just in case.
    When SE multiplayer came out, other players would spawn on you, destroy your base and then shoot you so you kept getting knocked back lol

22. lightbender255

The deer use tools? I'm slightly afraid of the deer now.

• Like Like x 4
  23. Arona_Daal

Keen does their best to provide these updates every week because the community expects them. If the entire team is trying to integrate MP, which is probably a multi-week process, what else are they going to give us? So blocks are the easier solution and something for us to enjoy until the next week. I do not know if they use 1 week sprints, or Agile methods (seems like it because there are weekly updates), but they do their best to plan content for us every week!

Also, stop talking about things that need to be fixed in SE here. They are separate teams, and the focus here is to implement ME. I am 100% sure they learned a lot from SE and what to do better with integration and making features for ME.

By the way, the tone of this comment is happy :) Not trying to rustle peoples jimmies!

24. Ash87

Yes they have mutliple teams, but the MP issues that we already have with SE will just be imported over to ME. Drui pretty much confirmed that above. The issue Isn't seperate teams, it's that the flawed system from one game is being imported to this game.

I'm all about some MP... but we know the system doesn't work as well as it could, so why is it getting pushed so early? It just seems self defeating to me.

Well no, doing MP Early, will mean the same problems there are with SE... will now be problems with ME.

Look guys, you are more than welcome to disagree with me, but this is what is going to happen: KSH will implement MP. It wont run as well as people want it to, people will come up here and complain incessantly about it. It's just more crap than KSH and the forum should have to be dealing with, when they could just Put it off until at the earliest Survival is complete, or ideally when the new MP system is implemented in SE (Because again, 2 teams, but we have features cross over, so if it's a finished feature in one game, it should be a finished feature in both games pretty quickly).

• Like Like x 1
  25. PhoenixTheSage

What makes you think it will have the same issues as SE has had? Of course there will be issues, but this is a completely new implementation. Core changes...not slapstick patches. I think it's best that we weed out the problems en masse than leave it to Keen's small QA which would take a lot longer, and I'm sure that's what they want to hence the early release. They don't care if people complain, there will always be people that complain without understanding.

26. Ash87

You have been around a whole 14 days before I have, so I'm pretty confident when I say: lets be honest here... there is no other issue that has created more caustic, nasty, ridiculous nonsense, than the MP state of SE, for SE. Yes, people will complain about anything, and that is fine... but the issues with MP are legit issues, they are long standing issues, and this is so much a painfully obvious point that KSH will get railed on, it's baffling to me why it isn't being avoided for an easier path.

Why do I think it'll have the same issues SE has? Because SE has the problems, it's the same basic system, and it's on the same engine. Why would you think it -wouldn't- have the same problems?

The issue isn't an issue with SE and coding therein, that could be solved or done differently by a different team, it's the basic core system... That is why it's being replaced.

27. Thedevistator

I hate to break it to your guys but this first intergration will not be using the new multiplayer that's still about another month away. On the other hand since we don't have space ships sim speed should be higher and there should be less physics issues. I do however not know how the catch blocks will react.

28. Bumber

Called it:
    ME currently lacks some of the things that gives SE problems. No pistons, landing gears, high-speed grid objects, etc.

29. Ash87

True and false. We don't have magnetic properties and such, but we DO have rope mechanics and handcranks. Those are what I'm really worried about. Basically it looks to me, that we'll end up with nice buildings, and no mechanical parts at all. I mean that isn't even considering what will happen with Projectiles in this system, there is room there for fast moving projectiles to just phase through things, that is why the speed limit in SE is in place right now, what happens if I can make a catapult that fires through walls?

And this is ASSUMING that the structural integrity systems wont just randomly decide to crap themselves from time to time. I mean that happened in SE at the beginning, you had to build and disassemble things in order, elsewise everything would just explode. What happens, if that happens here?

30. Arona_Daal

Oops, my ignorance got to me. I do not know what I was thinking, it is the same engine, using the same MP code. Unless they are sneaking in some new MP setup, you are right, it will have the exact same issues.

Though outside the issues, I prefer to play around with the buggy MP than to run solo. I mean, playing with yourself is only fun for so long.