Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 02.017 - Peasant commands, woodcutter

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, May 19, 2015.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

Summary
    We are introducing a new command system for peasants. You can now assign different roles to the friendly AI bots (servants) and convert them to specialized peasants (woodcutter, miner, porter). Then you can mark the areas where you want them to take action. This way you can better manage how you gather your resources. For example you can spawn a number of servant bots that will follow you around, go to the location where you want and assign to some of them to mine a specific area. Then assign the rest to collect the mined stones and gather them to a designated spot.

Warning: the maximum number of bots has been divided between controllable bots per player (peasants) and uncontrollable bots per map (animals, barbarians). But be advised that over 20 bots in one map can cause performance issues for now. This feature is still work-in-progress, so more options will be added and performance will be much better in the future.

Features
    - peasants' command system
    - servant peasant (follows player around, waiting for commands)
    - woodcutter peasant (cuts trees)
    - projectile thrower removed from survival mode
    - peasant names

Fixes
    - only admins can edit gameplay options in the survival mode
    - tweaked collisions and mountpoints on some blocks
    - fixed particle effects of mining and impacts not showing on client
    - fixed invisible collision model in place of the parts that got stored in the container
    - fixed SE game values showing in the ME join screen
    - fixed clipping through large rounded stone block
    - fixed crash during load at addBreakableBody
    - fixed memory leak during turning structural integrity view on/off
    - fixed admin actions on the dedicated server (banning, etc.)

EDIT 05/20/2015:
    Update 02.017.012

- fixed crash in rope component during world load
    - fixed crash with porters while picking up stones
    - fixed trees breaking after impact from projectile
    - fixed crafting trees crashing the game

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
  2. MiChAeLoKGB

3. Martinineter

Pretty nice update

4. Lrj52

Looks good :D

5. ajacstern

Nice, Stuff like this will really help with singleplayer. I really like that part at the end when the tree falls on him :) LOL. My friend did that too me once, except with a castle and not a tree.

6. warmachine2k

Awesome update and that poor peasant at the end
    they need to yell "TIMBER!!!!"
    :woot:

7. SenorZorros

I have the feeling keen likes the facepalm emotion...

• Like Like x 1
  8. tharkus

Very nice stuff !

9. CanOmer

I get CTD when I was joining a server. Then I get CTD again when I was creating new game.

10. pokeybit@googlemail.com

Tuesday! My new favourite day!

11. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

Please create a bur report in the bug section + add your logs. We will try to hotfix it tomorrow!
    Thanks a lot for your help!

• Like Like x 1
  12. MechanizedIT

Are you pulling our leg Keen?
    [​IMG]

13. Deewad

peasant who got hit by the tree at the end made me laugh, nice update!

14. MechanizedIT

CHOP THE TREE DARBY!!!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mr_Bean

Great update! One question though, has projectile throwing just been disabled for non-admins?

16. Pluffiz

I think we need an option to set if the peasant is going to collect stone or tree.. They seem to collect more wood then stone.. For me they just focus on tree. :/

17. CyberVic

Not really sure how I feel about these continued focus around AI / Peasants in ME.

18. CyberVic

I dunno, maybe there was just some KSH ME AI cool-aid which was passed around and I missed it while focused on SE. I mean... I don't think it's a bad thing. I like the idea of "villagers" being in a procedural generated medieval world. I even like the idea of commanding them if you maybe... built a village and the peasants "moved in" naturally / procedural. Then you could hire them somehow to do work for you. Maybe this is the direction Keen is taking with this. I have no idea. That could be cool, but just being able to spawn bots to do work for you seems... anti-survival.

19. REDSHEILD

I expect peasants to need to be hired or recruited somehow. At the moment they're at tech demo level though, so it makes sense that they're spawned. Heck, we don't even need resources for building yet.

20. cedi

Maybe we're going to need an insane amount of material to build even a small cottage...

Also, I think the ME people are working on the AI because the SE people are currently working on planets, which just might be the implementation or at least the groundwork for "infinite" worlds in ME. Also, I remember to have read a comment where a Dev said that they needed around a week's worth of 3D artist time to update a single block to DX11. If you add that to the announcement that the DX11 path is only weeks away I'd say that the artist can't spare the time to create ME block models.

Btw. nice patch. I think a decent AI is very important to make ME survival interesting and to give it a feel of being alive in single player.

21. AFallenApple

Awesome update :) Although minor, I'm very happy to see fixes to the admin controls!

22. jb_aero

"Accidents" may happen. That's what the peasants are calling it, but I'm not sure I trust that woodsman. :)
    Shifty-eyed bugger, I bet e'ed off 'is own mudder for a few coins. Mind ye head around that one.

23. SunburstMoon

AS few as 20? That's still a long shot away from my 20fps 99 bots deathmatches in UT99 on my 15 years old (and counting) computer ... :D

Seriously though, I really like the progress on the AI so far, but I'm starving for a more fleshed out survival mode. I mean, right now why bother with mass "automated" resource gathering while it's not even required to build? IMO resource management is a very important part in this type of game for a real challenge: building a structurally sound castle is one thing, but mining away a mountain and hauling the stones half-way across the world in order to build it feels all the more rewarding.

I know we're going to get there eventually, I just wish "eventually" would be now!

Keep up the good work Keen! Sorry for being impatient ... (how come the multiplayer crowd didn't have to be so patient? Now I'm jealous!)

24. pardusian141

that facepalm...

25. BiZZ Keryear

Holy F****,
    (don't misunderstand ... I like what you have done for this update)
    are those NPCs dumb as s**t.
    They constantly get stuck .... and I lost count how many I lost in tree cutting accidents. I have probably more graves out there than logs ...
    IMHO the NPCs behave to much like a player figure ... NPCs are AI... and AI is stupid by definition. The only way to make it work ... is to cheat. To either make special rules for NPCs or give them special "powers" ... like knowledge they possible can't have (like seeing through walls, or knowing which path is blocked for them even before starting walking towards it) ... or both.

There are some other problems I have came across: (just as a little report)
    • Got an incident where the Bonfire model got flipped upside down ... maked it unable to place (within grid ... maybe on ceiling ... without grid [j] it looked ... well ... unnatural)
      • Please make it that all models can flipped in all directions ... that also increases the use of some other models as well.
    • Got an incident where the bridge of the "two houses" scenario got lose ... while deleting it I got two railing parts which are now ... while still on the same grid ... and acted like still connected .. had no physical connection anymore ... I tried to make a screenshot ... but game deleted it before I decided to do so.
    • Using multiple torches and or fires are too loud. I can hear them from miles away ... and there are still deafening.*
    • They also getting too bright when used.*
    • Light (sunlight and torches/fires) shines through solids ... like the massive 2.5x2.5x2.5m stone blocks.
    • Precise aiming (... and sometimes even aiming at all) with tools is impossible. You never hit what you intent to ... if you hit something at all.
    *= The Problem (of both issues) might lie in the point that the game uses a linear model ... so two torches are twice as bright and twice as loud as one torch ... but humans (brains /senses) use a logarithmic scale ... so ten torches should be twice as loud and bright as one as one torch. ... of course that only applies when they all are in the very same place ... because of the logarithmic thing a torch at the doubled distance (as a other torch we compare it to) should be appear 1/10th as bright and loud.
    Please keep this in mind and it should solve a lot of problems /issues. (e.g. the 7days2die developer fiddling with artificial light sources like forever ... and always run in the problem that a single one is either too dark or multiples ones are much too bright)

26. BiZZ Keryear

Update ... just watched the update video to the end ... yeah I got impatient in middle and wanted to try it for myself... and the way the AI behaves in this video is not the way it behaves in my game.
    While I can't tell if the AI that is cutting a specific tree is stepping back (got bored to see them got stuck and or crushed too many times) all others aren't (results in many many death ... well I used 5 woodcutters at a time).
    Also they loose interest in a tree once it falls and start (or at least try to ... had one that was digging a massive hole with his axe while trying to chop down a tree ... and yes it was a woodcutter not a miner) to chop down the next tree. Once the all are chopped down they started to cut them in pieces (and for some reasons some into round logs)

27. ajacstern

Okay so you don't like the AI? It IS A WORK IN PROGRESS.(excuse the caps) In the end they said that and that they AI is not currently perfect, they will improve upon it but the best games took time, this one will too. Except in this one it involves the community instead of just the developers and the publishers.

28. George.Mamakos

EDIT 05/20/2015:
    Update 02.017.012

- fixed crash in rope component during world load
    - fixed crash with porters while picking up stones
    - fixed trees breaking after impact from projectile
    - fixed crafting trees crashing the game

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  29. space.dust

The Command System is still not working for dedicated servers.
    Miner - just walks to flag and waits
    Woodcutter - Goes to tree and does the porter animation like he's trying to pick up /up root the tree.
    Porter - Just meanders about the flag doing nothing.

When playing on a non-dedicated server I was able to get it working properly.
    There is a Mod called "Better Pickaxe" that from what I've been able to tell breaks the miners and I had to remove it to get them mining at their flag.
    Another Mod called "Arch Expansion Pack" Seems to have broke and the textures are all black now since the update.

30. BiZZ Keryear

And I told them that they IMHO are going in the wrong direction... Sorry, I was literally screaming this to you (in my mind) but didn't used caps at all.

In my second post I just reported that I did observe a total different behavior than shown in the update video.

Everything here is a work in progress... that is why it actually needs user feedback.