Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 02.023: Inventory system

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

Summary
    Inventory system was added in this update. Players now have the ability to store items from the containers inside the player's inventory and see the full content of the storage containers. Additionally, we have added more construction models for blocks used in survival building, including the first batch of roof tiles. Also, players can't build on top of unfinished models anymore. Stay tuned for more survival features in future updates!

Features
    - inventory system ("I" button)
    - more construction models for blocks (survival building)
    - added confirmation screen before exiting the lobby in castle siege

Fixes
    - fixed player can't build on unfinished construction models anymore
    - fixed problematic placing blueprints close to each other
    - fixed better detection of timbers and large stones
    - fixed texture on generated object GeneratedWoodSideCornerIn_Mir

• Like Like x 3
  2. PsicoPato

Awesome! =)

3. xzosimusx

Excellent!

4. Thedevistator

Did anyone else notice tazoo was showing off the inventory system?

5. Stori3D Past Productions

Every week the world gets bigger & more interesting. Thanks!

6. deltaflyer4747

Nice, just two things - how can i pick up something directly into inventory? and I key is missing from F1 help menu

7. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

Tazoo is one of the developers now ;)

8. MichaelC

im actually a little disappointed. I like the fact that you didn't have an inventory. You had to think about what you were building and how to get it there. Now you have an inventory bigger than the largest chest.

9. Thedevistator

I thought that was the case considering he said he'd be working for keen a couple months ago in a video.

10. kejn Tester Developer

Hello deltaflyer4747,

You can't pick anything from the ground direclty to the inventory yet. We are working on it right now and it will be added soon. Thanks for the tip with F1 menu.

11. deltaflyer4747

Ah, thx & neni zac :)

12. kejn Tester Developer

michaelphoenix22,

it will be balanced later, don't worry. This is just first iteration :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. deltaflyer4747

btw not quite true, i just picked up some shrooms directly into the inventory.

14. Codebender

Quick question, will the ability to transfer items between chest be possible to make a transfer system using that? Say I have a stone path all the way to my mining spot, and connected to a large platform with a chest on it, am I able to transfer items between the home base and the mining camp?

15. xzosimusx

Unless they implement a way to have the porters do it, I would say this is where you build a cart and transfer everything that way. No magic teleporting items in medieval times.

• Like Like x 1
  16. PsicoPato

I do hope that large itens like woden logs and large stones can't be carried in the inventory.

17. Martinineter

Very nice progression!

18. Masked Death

Maybe make the inventory size moddable like the ship speed in Space Engineers. One will want an inventory where you can carry only one tool and some food, another person will want an inventory in which you can store the whole world, so making it moddable will be the best solution.

19. Deewad

very nice guys, chests and barrels now available in survival will help a lot, and roofs! inventory will make it easier, just really missing the torch stand!

20. xzosimusx

@Lukas @Drui No fix yet for the tool accuracy problems? Looks like it is still an issue after this patch.

21. KingdomBragg

22. SirMento

Nice update!

BTW, sometimes when dropping inventory items from containers they just disappear.

23. xzosimusx

Please make an official bug report over in the Bug Reports Forum so that the devs can see it.

24. tharkus

Wow! nice!

25. NeoKuro

This is awesome. Tuesdays are like a weekly christmas for me now haha

But I have a question (its probably been asked and answered before so for that I@m sorry).

But I've noticed that Timer is well...insanely strong, I mean I know its brilliant at reinforcing structures (supporting them) but I've had a 200ton battlement remain standing because of a 1x1x10 tower of timber haha. Was wondering if Timber will eventually be 'fixed' so its not...well...a tad overpowered (I know it breaks easy, but because it doesn't collapse, from a game perspective, it'd be better to build towers and such our of timber at the moment, just because the entire base would have to be destroyed before the a tower comes falling down (and you losing your advantage etc) whereas with stone, it takes like 1-2 full power 10x mass shots to break a wall, and you don't have to destroy the entire base (in fact more of than not I only have to break 50%-75% of the base before it collapses)...or rather when you're building a nice new palace, and the lower stone supports start to cave, but you are 5 floors (100m) above them so you aren't aware, the only thing keeping it up is a bit of timber here and there, but as you build up your tower/spire in the centre, where there is no timber, suddenly it all caves in.

I don't think its a major thing, but when its fixed...I'll be incredibly happy cuz then I can destroy my things with even more beauty :3

Also, again I'm sure it has been asked so I apologise but I'm lazy ^.^ I'm guessing at some point in the distant future we will have ranged weapons (bow and arrows ;) )

26. Morphik

LOL I just dropped 128 Wood scrap into the world. That was interesting. Only 64 scraps can fit into the large chest and I had taken the contents of two into the player inventory, I hope we get the ability to divide stacks soon.

27. Morphik

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  28. Sanfard

Nice update. A precursor to ranged weapons, perhaps?

29. JuStX2

My Only question is why didn't you just steal this code from SE a long time ago?

30. waterlimon

Given that the logic for dragging items, item grids, and general UI elements (g menu) were already in, and the structure of the SE and ME codebase is probably slightly different, and the layout of the inventory systems is different, and 90% of the SE inventory UI would need to have been removed, and GUIs replaced with ME versions, honestly the only thing they could have reused would probably have been the few lines of code that declare the names of a bunch of objects/functions inside which the actual code would need to have been rewritten.

I dont know why they decided to still go with the monolithic viewblocker claustrophobic design with buttons that are big enough to work on a fist operated touchscreen -.-

It really doesnt have to be that big. Sure, now they have plenty of room to throw in another 10 submenus like in SE, but that both doesnt seem likely for ME and is somewhat indicative of poor design anyways.

What they should be using is small, independent, transparent windows that dont block the entire view (perhaps draggable or resizeable even). Tighter packing, smaller font, more compact controls, less click to navigate.

If it was an actual design decision then that decision needs to go in favor of more enjoyable gameplay.