Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.180.4 Minor - Beta improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by flexx, May 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. halipatsui Senior Engineer

It becomes more logical if you think about real life and mareks toughts about tech progressiln before.
    It might be that reactors end up being a lot harder to build hence making hydrogen motor viable.
    Seperating water and hydrogen has its disadvantages irl too but hydrogen motors are way closer than cars powered by nuclear reactors size of a shoebox.

I think the key for using motors will be rebalancing efficiency and accessibility of batteries and reactors and amount of uranium in the enviroment.

2. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

lets bring in dirty fuels...coal! :D
    lets burn some good ol fashioned dinosaur bones...pollute the hell out of the environment turning a lovely green grassland into a black wasteland.
    i can already hear people saying that'd impact sim speed too much. >:3

as long as this engine has a satisfying engine roar noise i'm going to be very happy.
    get a little bit of this going on
    [​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---

I'd doubt the windmill is like a rotor and windmill 2 piece block when they could just make one. with an animation.

like the modded windmill block.
    I'd high doubt it could have an effect on sim speed.
    same as the engine.
    again its most likely an animated block otherwise we're going to have....piston...based.....engines...that explode violently...when you turn too sharply.. 0_0
    or cause your vehicle to unpredictably move off cause due to physics

its bound to be just an animated block with a solid hitbox.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Legas Trainee Engineer

What? Why would I waste energy and ice to create Hydrogen, then proceed to transfer the H2 to a vehicle to burn into water to produce the same (or less, considering efficiency) energy?

I could instead use the energy to be used in hydrolysis to just store into a battery to power the vehicle. Seems far easier and more efficient.

See the steps:

Energy + Ice -> Hydrolysis -> Hydrogen -> Storage Tank -> Engine -> Wheels

Energy -> Battery -> Wheels

Thus it's utter nonsensical to even consider burning H2 that came from hydrolysis to produce electricity...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Silentfighter89 Trainee Engineer

Well you kind of right but I consider the Fuel cell(I don't wanna see a motor thats 1900 Tek) as small grid only. So convert Ice to hydrogen with wind and solar and use it on your small grid vehicles as fuel. But for that to make sense there has to be some more changes. Easier way to transfer fuel from grid to grid (I would see the existing bottles as an good Option.) and as halipatsiu said small reactors have to be way harder to build. As well as small grid batteries..maybe.

5. halipatsui Senior Engineer

What i meant is that in real life nuclear reactors are a lot more unwieldy than hydrogen motors. So kern might be attrmpting to make them into a high tier block that cant be made right ftom the start.

And hydrolysis produced fuel is not nonsense since it is used irl too :D
    Just another way to store energy. In this case it probably is inferior, but cheaper alternative to batteries and reactors.
    --- Automerge ---
    I would line to see small reactors as some high tech widget that would be mainly needed for most advanced and smallest drones etc.
    They outshine everything else now.

6. VigotheDudepathian Trainee Engineer

I love the engi e ifea because ot is another option to overcome problems of power generation. Engineering as a whole really is just finding new ways of doing things. GOOD engineering os finding the cheapest most efficient way to do something, but all methods are valid.
    I want a dirt cheap motor that takes next to nothing to run as honestly I see a MAJOR rebalance in part costs making it much more difficult to amass an array of 200 solar panels or endless U. Also I want land vehicles to be a viable strategy (especially early game) as now they are a novelty. Like you land in a drop pod and a wheeled vehicle should be your only locomotion for a good while. I hate the idea of starting and just flying off into space on ions, it takes out most of the actual game. The struggle should be the game, scraping together mats to cobble together a ricket to get to space.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Essentials Trainee Engineer

You're not trying hard enough then.

Every vehicle I've built either from scratch, or from blueprints, has had the wheels fall off after a few minutes of average/moderate use which almost always results in a crashing/burning sensation.

8. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I agree on that flying should be made a lot harder or more expensive.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

i'd like that as well.
    maybe one day they'll stop jerking around left and right uncontrollably needing a gyroscope locked in override to control one and the handbrake to be more useful. :/

i remember they were bretty :DDD gud before the fancy block update...ignoring that bug that caused them to slip partially though voxel and it would be treated as a high speed impact.. :/

at that time they handed well on low friction didn't spazz around at high speeds and the handbrake was actually a handbreak.
    every turn with those old wheels was like drifting. :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

I'm a newb, but, I really don't see the point of a hydrogen fuel cell in this game, when it's effectively a battery.

11. odizzido Junior Engineer

If you've ever flown around a planet without using uranium it is quite expensive. It can take a long time to charge your batteries even with fairly large solar arrays. If uranium were made to be more difficult to use and/or find that would solve that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

I meant, hydrogen fuel cells are effectively batteries, as in a medium for storing energy, on the assumption that you're obtaining the hydrogen by separating it from water, etc.
    But, if you're obtaining hydrogen by some cheaper means, it might make some sense. Most of the volume of gas giants is hydrogen gas, for instance. The science fiction role-playing game Traveller had starships gather fuel by "skimming" gas giants for hydrogen, for instance. So, if they also added gas giants, and some low energy mechanism for harvesting hydrogen from gas giants, this might make sense.

13. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Turrets are actual multi-part blocks with movement synchronized in multiplayer. Animated blocks, like the atmo thrusters, just spin because it looks cool, there's no data associated with it.

Multiplayer? The only way I've managed to get wheels off in single player is slamming them into things. (Except for that period when they did fall off all the time)

14. Thalmus Trainee Engineer

Super excited about the different methods of generating power. Imagine building or exploring a wind farm on the side of a mountain, a solar powered base in the sandy desert, or a hydrogen power plant next to a "lake". I just need to get better at making pickup trucks look like actual trucks instead of a spaceship with some wheels slapped on.

Keep up the good work and planets will be fun to explore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I also seen a mod that creates uses the planets heat...the geothermal energy to make usable power.
    if they keep this awesome trend up there'll be factions dedicated to the different types of power generation.

I enjoy a single solar panel on a small rover with 4 wheels and a battery generates enough to keep chugging along happily

16. Legas Trainee Engineer

Pray, tell me how in the world will you generate power out of ice?
    Your answer could easily solve all humankind energy problems, you could even win a nobel out of it.

17. Enderlook Trainee Engineer

Hydrogen engines!!! Are there hydrogen engines?, no? Well, fossiles engines would be great also, but I think that developers wouldn't do that.
    You should also add Hydrogen Generators:
    H2 + O2 ---> Energy + Ice
    Hydrogen Generator aren't for produce energy really (energy and matter law conservation), instead, their could use H2 like and energy vector.
    H2 tanks have better energy density than batteries per m^3. Also, filling a tank with H2 is faster thank charging a battery (it hasn't 80% efficiency also).
    In your station you use electrolyzers (oxygen generators) to split H2 and O2 from Ice using energy, then you transfer H2 and O2 to the ships tanks. With O2 you fill the ship atmosphere and space suit and with H2 you fuel your thrusters (or hydrogen engines), and with both (H2 + O2) you produce energy for the rest of systems, H20 residual is transfer to the Station's oxygen generator and the cycle repeats.

18. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

I could see a hydrogen powerplant making more sense in a planetary survival situation, if they make the hydrogen powerplant much easier to build than small reactors AND they make uranium very scarce on planets. It would be a way to ease into basic vehicles, so you can do some more hardcore hunting for longer term reactor fuel. And, if the "mpg" of the hydrogen powerplant is high, it will make it that much more attractive. I'm thinking high fuel efficiency but relatively low power output might make for a useful component.

19. Essentials Trainee Engineer

of course... Single player is kinda pointless isn't it?

20. Harrekin Master Engineer

Is it just me or are rotors super-janky on DS after the last update?

Even safety locked I have one throwing a 1,000,000kg ship around.

Only have it so I can put a small ship hydrogen tank in a large grid ship so it never actually rotates.

21. Devon_v Senior Engineer

It changes the issue. There's nothing wrong with wheels, there's stuff wrong with the synching of certian objects in the net code. Particularly when lag starts losing packets or delivering them in the wrong order.

22. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

Actually, at this point in history, it might end up being a tad ironic if ice were discovered to solve our energy problems. Like discovering that Dodo bird eggs could cure cancer...

23. VigotheDudepathian Trainee Engineer

Honestly all of this is moot if they cant get things to stop blowing up or flying off or whatever, as that is always what makes people, me included, stop playing the game.
    --- Automerge ---
    Of course I have, and the idea of a heavily armored battle wagon flying around is a little silly. Heavy stuff should only be viable in space aside from wheeled vehicles or dear clang if they can get tracks working. Honestly need aluminum so there can be "aircraft" armor and wings ect.
    --- Automerge ---
    Of course I have, and the idea of a heavily armored battle wagon flying around is a little silly. Heavy stuff should only be viable in space aside from wheeled vehicles or dear clang if they can get tracks working. Honestly need aluminum so there can be "aircraft" armor and wings ect.

24. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

Why? We are on the verge of another ice age. For the last 1.5 million years there has been an ice age cycle of 100,000 years with ice ages lasting between 80,000 to 90,000 years and warm periods (which we are in now) lasting 10,000 to 20,000 years. We are currently about 12,000 years into the current warm period so we are due for another ice age anytime between NOW and the next 8,000 years. We will not have a shortage of ice.

25. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Previous cycles did not have human intervention. All bets are off now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

Ice ages have nothing to do with the green house affect, they are caused by the well understood cyclical changes in the earth's orbit at a period of about 100,000 years.

27. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Maybe it's just me but every single year just seems to be getting hotter...

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Roxette Senior Engineer

You think? The late models of the B-17 had thirteen 0.5" machine guns mounted all over it :D

29. odizzido Junior Engineer

it's not just you. There is scientific consensus that it's happening.

30. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

And that's not a patch on the AC-47 'Spooky' gunship developed in the 60s with a selection of miniguns and it's modern cousin the AC130. That thing puts massive firepower down on a relatively small target.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.