Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.180.5 Minor - Beta Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by flexx, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. .Luca Trainee Engineer

Sweet! :) updating my server now.

2. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Dear Keen: I know you guys don't like the invisible windows. You want there to be some way to tell they are there.

Do like pretty much everyone has been doing since Doom 3: put a light (light mind you!) refraction shader on them and fix up the reflections so they aren't so grainy. That's how you tell that glass is there in real life.

If you need reference images, play Hellion. Xcoliw's got a copy, he can show you glass done right. XCOM 2 has an example of real-time screen space reflections applied to a block and tile based game which would be nice to see as well some day.

Like the original new block textures, the current windows would be fine if they progressively got dirtier during play as a result of contact with evironments or objects. If a ship semi-realistically weathered, it would actually be pretty cool, but everything defaulting to filthy isn't.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Agnar Apprentice Engineer

As long as you could do maintenence on the windows and clean them up again, and "repaint" armour to remove scratches and smudging I'd be cool with this

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

And as long as you could automate this, I'd be OK with that. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Yeah, that would be the idea. The first round block textures would be awesome if blocks crossfaded to them as they took damage, then went back to normal as they were repaired.

6. Apsyc Apprentice Engineer

Reason

7. Lé Grand Sárrazin Apprentice Engineer

Well.. that was depressing....

I was hoping after 6 months they had finally gotten around to fixing Lods on advanced door mods...... NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY!?!?!?!? Why, oh why, has this Still not been addressed or remedied in all of this time... I mean I get it... it's not game-breaking. My doors just all look closed or spun around >2-3m.

This hasn't been addressed at all, yet someone's found the time to: "Fix" Clear Glass??? Yea... because we ALLLLLLL wanted ghetto-ass windows..... yea... okay....

At least I'm now able to play the game again after a month off dealing with a turret crash, after last weeks update!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

"fixed"

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. ATMLVE Apprentice Engineer

Anyone know the location of Keen's office? I'd sure like to "fix" their crystal clear windows.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Xanthyn Trainee Engineer

Keen. PLEASE. STOP MESSING WITH GLASS. This is what near unanimous player feedback looks like. Just roll back the changes. We want our space aged sci-fi glass to actually be clear, so that we can make high visibility cockpits and play from first person view (and for many other reasons). Please listen to your player base. Please un-fix glass. We want it to be clear.

I'm astonished that you keep messing with this, knowing full well you will get player backlash.

• Agree Agree x 13
  11. odizzido Junior Engineer

I wouldn't mind having some glass being clear on one side and completely reflective on the other. Letting people see inside your ship can be bad. I also wouldn't mind have some glass designed to take damage and also allowing solar panels to function behind them. They're extremely vulnerable and I wouldn't mind having a way to protect them without pistons which explode or blast doors which are really heavy and slow to respond.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Quite a large update for a "minor" update, a little over 200mb.

13. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

why not just add the dirty glass keen wants and the clear glass the fans want?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  14. kai769 Trainee Engineer

Damn the bottles are annoying now, please change hydrogen back to dark.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 7
  15. Amateria Selena Trainee Engineer

Cool ! Now... could you unfix it please ? (・ωー)~☆

While I understand that an asteroid mining spacecraft would get covered in dust, I do not think just every window of any spacecraft would get that dirty. Interplanetary and even interstellar spacecraft would suffer damage from micro meteroids and debris but to get really dirty you would have to fly through dust clouds, which is something you would want to avoid unless you're flying a slow spacecraft.

It can't even be a matter of age, an old spacecraft which never flew through dust could remain totally clean.
    Did you ever take a look at the ISS cupola ?
    It was added to ISS in 2010 and it's still crystal clear to this day (though they did replace a window pane in april 2017).

Here is a picture dating from 2010 :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracy...a/File:Tracy_Caldwell_Dyson_in_Cupola_ISS.jpg

And here is a picture from December 13th 2016 :
    https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/wp-content/uploads/sites/240/2017/01/blog_iss050e017019.jpg

After so many years, these windows are still perfectly clean.
    As stated by NASA there : https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/04/crew-replace-cupola-window-iss/
    ''Although the windows on the Cupola have suffered from their fair share of impacts from MicroMeteoroid and Orbital Debris (MMOD) strikes, none of the small impacts have caused any serious damage to the module.''

So...
    Why is my interplanetary exploration frigate stuck with dirty windows ?
    Why is my stationary space station stuck with dirty windows ?
    Why is my surface outpost stuck with dirty windows either, it's not like the crew could not easily wash them ?

Meanwhile, my small grid mining spacecraft's cockpit is very clean... ⁀⊙﹏☉⁀

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Kezat Trainee Engineer

ARRRG here we go again with the windows, perhaps we can clean them next patch? I hope we don't have to wait another couple of months like last time.

Other then the window issues (again) i'm liking this minor and major patch system, can still look forward to patch Tuesday and keen can have time to work on the bigger stuff for the major patches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Thrak Junior Engineer

I for one am glad for fixes, so thank you Keen. However...

1) Clean glass is the will of you user base. It's a beautiful game and we want to see it. Please roll this back!

2) Speaking of welders... you've broken the advanced tools again with this update. Please fix this. And please take steps to make sure you're not replicating bad code in future updates.

3) And finally, while I love the new icons overall, once again, as others have mentioned, the oxygen and hydrogen bottle icons are too similar. They no longer function as "icons" because, an icon should be a unique symbol which communicates unique meaning. These do not.

Love,

Thrak

• Agree Agree x 14
  18. odizzido Junior Engineer

I like the new icons for motors and such. They oxy/hydro tanks are too similar though. We need to be able to see which is which more easily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. WhiteWorlB Trainee Engineer

Whaow just whaow.
    Can you PLEASE just leave the glass clean and release a dirty glass DLC after the game Releases?
    It seems to be a very hard design decision and should not be rushed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Arcturus Senior Engineer

They have an open house coming up later this month (this link was on the KSH website): https://www.eventbrite.com/e/week-of-innovation-2017-open-house-day-keen-goodai-tickets-33848337288
    The Nile House building has lots of nice clear windows! Don't forget to bring your cornstarch and grease to the party!
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Spets Master Engineer

they are using mods for sure
    also, is that a rotor?

• Funny Funny x 4
  22. WhiteWorlB Trainee Engineer

Thats a nice hydrogen thruster under the roof!

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. Plongo Trainee Engineer

No teaser!!?! I love being teased though! ! :( Super keen to get those wheel fixes asap!

24. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Just gonna bring a dog. A big one, that drools a lot.

• Funny Funny x 3
  25. Mr_w Trainee Engineer

i know this is late, but 2 updates back we had the amd thing... after extensive testing..
    i want to report that it did nothing to fix my amd issues other then crossfire.. it actualy works now
    however lcd and shadows are still fuckedup. and the corossfire working i credit to the driver update suporting r9295
    the basic story.. you didnt fix shit amd wise.. try again,.. crossfire wise.. ok it works. but it whasnt you.

stability wise the driver update did wonders.. (even be4 the update) but LOD and LCD are still fucked up.
    you didnt fix the amd issues!!!!
    stability is ALOT better with the recent drivers.. wierdness not less then be4 that patch..

Cmon keen give AMD graphics some luve instead of hoaxes to chase,

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  26. RyuKyu567 Trainee Engineer

Yay! The other component icons are back.... now I have to get use to them again lol is all good though, these were a little nicer anyway :D

Side note, what happened to the Elite tools?... seems like they got slower 0.o

27. CrazyEd Trainee Engineer

Just a thought but has anyone here driven offroad in real life ? Not much of straight line travel there, so I personally don't find the wandering behavior too troubling in itself.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  28. DeathOnAStick Trainee Engineer

is it just me or are the welding speeds changed...?

• Like Like x 1
  29. CrazyEd Trainee Engineer

That window dirt though ! It looks like someone threw a dandruff infested heavy metal musician at each and every piece of glass. Why ??????????????
    Please revert back to clean windows and / or give us the option to clean that junk off

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

And to think I was on the verge of thinking that Keen had turned a new leaf...:/ (Glass Panicked Citizens - Please Unite to Dirty Keen's RL Windows and then TAKE PHOTOS)

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.