Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.181.0 Major - Big Optimizations, Multithreaded Physics & More!

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by flexx, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

Cool better sim Speed ! :D Nice Keen keep it up!

On a side note the New default HUD coloring is confusing and not really helpful anymore. Please change it.
    Also what's up with Antennas and Laser Antennas? are they broken or do they no longer show connections in their options?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  2. Particulator Trainee Engineer

New optimizations, new fixes, new cockpit reflections...
    Still unstable, still broken, looks crappy.

Thanks for the good work, Dedicated server still worth sh*t.
    Same old, same old.

Small ships sinking through ice, game freezes frequently upon reentering atmosphere are just a few of the bugs we keep having.

I bought both games, Medieval and Space engineers and these will be the last games i'll ever buy from Keen.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
  3. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Why not just a game settings so the player can change the color of the hud? we can already change the opacity..

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Xanthyn Trainee Engineer

I have yet to do much testing but it looks like there's some decent progress being made.

5. K Man Trainee Engineer

Running dedicated server on W10 64B.
    Using speed mod and parachute mod.
    -Level 1 Drill was invisible
    -Some asteroids are invisible, at high and low speeds ...kaboom

6. JimTheSoundman Trainee Engineer

I tend to take these "optimization" updates with a grain of salt, as they usually don't live up to their name. However this one does.

I have an old desktop. I can run a server on it, but when I have tried to play the game, even on lowest settings, I'm lucky to get 6FPS.

Now, after this update, it's comfortably running at 25FPS.

I'm quite amazed, to say the least.

Good job Keen, for once, you finally lived up to the hype.

• Like Like x 5
  7. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

Well there has been a definite improvement in large scale items.

Stationary -
    [​IMG]

And moving -
    [​IMG]

I'd say they're doing pretty good with the start of the optimizations. Now they just need to fix the load times(Still over an hour for this one).

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Michael Foshee Trainee Engineer

oooooooh baby, I hope I can bust out some space stations now

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I can concur that the multi-thread physics really makes a HUGE difference. My world consisted of two 13,000 block large ships weighing in at 45,000,000kg each (identical) and laden with hundreds of thrusters each. The world had one 120km planet (Alien). I'm running an i7-3820 @ 3.6 gHz. 4 physical cores and 8 threads (hyper-threading active).

Sim speed was consistently 1.00 until I got within about 100 meters of the planet's surface while flying one of the ships. It then dropped to about 0.87. Once I pulled up to about 2000 meters I was back to 1.00. Last week, just one of these ships standing still dropped sim speed to around 0.80. The only lag was when getting into visual range of the flora on the planet (trees). There was a pause as they were loading in. It was a few seconds actually. All in all it's a marked improvement.

There are some new bugs. The flames from ions do not go out when the thruster is turned off. But the thruster is off on the terminal menu and functionally off (no thrust).

I have not tested this on a dedicated server. But to anyone who says it's "shit" on a dedicated server, are you playing on a rented game server or a true Windows physical windows box? On rented commercial game servers you are getting a fraction of a core to play on. So multi-threading will NOT come into play. The game will play "like shit" on one-core or one virtual-core.

You'll have to buy/build your on box and host it on your own internet connection I suspect. But what do you expect for $15 a month?

I know there are a handful of people with some huge multi-core Xeon processors out there. Anyone take a stab at setting up a server on one of those beasts? The processor speed is usually slower, but the core count is a lot higher. What is the balance like and what is it like for very crowded worlds?

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Naut Apprentice Engineer

Im happy that they work on optimization.

Im having a bit of a problem though, because im on the crossroads of buying a new gpu. My old card is an GTX470, which is old, but it runs pretty much every game i play without issues. SE on the other hand runs only ~30 fps with pretty much all options to low. I even have to lower the resolution, which looks just awful and reminds me of problems i had with games in the 90ties....

I heard that the main issue SE has with older GPU's is the available RAM on those cards. The GTX470 has 1,3 GB Ram, which SHOULD be enough. Question is if SE will ever get optimized in that regard, or if i just give in and buy something like a 1070gtx.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. KissSh0t Master Engineer

You will want a video card with 4GB of vram minimum... the 1070 is a good choice, even a 1060 would be good.

I myself have a 4GB RX 470 and the game runs quite good.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. leewells2000 Apprentice Engineer

Not well at all. I have a 24 core (4 cpus x 6 cores) 48 thread 3.4Ghz Xeon, and while the cpu remains at about 5% used with 4x Interstellar Rift Servers, 5x Ark Servers, 3x Conan Servers, 2x 7D2D servers and just 1 SE server, sim speeds drop to .5 or lower with just one somewhat large ship, and MUCH lower (.2 or so) if someone is automating inventory via scripts.

So to answer your question, I don't think it scales or can scale at all because something else seems to be choking the threads. But this server is running ECC RAM (144GB of it), which might cause some issues if the SE process produces any checksum errors.

13. Imglidinhere Trainee Engineer

The GTX 470 is from 2010 by this point man. It's over 7 years old. I remember buying that card on launch day for $320 brand new. It's OLD by today's standards. For SE specifically, you want at least a 2GB GPU. I run a 4GB 960M and it handles the game on medium without too many issues. 1.28GB just is NOT enough for modern day DX11 games. Back when that card was released there weren't really ANY games that used DX11. They usually had a DX11 toggle thing that layered that API over an existing DX9 layer or something, but there weren't any actual DX11 games back then, aside from the Metro series, which was... meh at best.

Agreed. any 4GB card today will probably be fine really. Like, a 1050 Ti would probably be a great pick if you're already using Nvidia's stuff. The RX 470 is another great pick too, faster than the Ti model and only a smidgen more expensive. =D

My laptop loves this update. Medium settings never ran so smoothly before. :D

14. Naut Apprentice Engineer

I know its old :(
    But it still works with everything else....

I just hate the thought of buying a new gpu ONLY for SE.

But thanks for reassuring me that SE will never run good on it. I can make up my mind now.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Pharap Apprentice Engineer

Not particularly helpful. File a bug report.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. I23I7 ME Tester

* Flips the window around to the other side * This window really needs a "THIS WAY" sign for people like you.

Alright boys and girls gather around uncle Red has got some good news.

So we know about turrets being unable to target anything in a cone above them. We are also looking into the AM block not working in artificial gravity.

As for any piston,rotor or clanginess send me PMs with a blueprint or a B R I E F description.

For the glass there is a clear side and a darken side. You might have to flip them around.

As for any other issues contact me as well.

Have a nice weekend otherwise.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I wish that ship controls and character controls were separate... I changed look around key to right mouse button so it is easier to look around while flying, but then realized it messes with character controls as well and now I'm back to square one :<

Please Keen, separate ship and player controls, I would like to be able to change settings for ship without affecting character controls.

Also, why when looking around does the signal names show full? is there a way to turn that off? when I look around the screen is spammed with a lot of signal names.

• Agree Agree x 7
  18. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

First, love the optimizations as several of my larger structures are rendering and running more smoothly, now onto the bad. I've been able to reproduce a few of the bugs that folks have been talking about. I also prepared a video for the devs to demonstrate these bugs. I was able to reproduce the turrets bug people were talking about. I've seen a few folks talking about turrets ceasing fire against enemy grids even if they still have functional blocks, however what I'm noticing is they're not even firing at all unless you manually fire them. I've also been able to reproduce the hydrogen depletion bug in Creative mode. So far I haven't really noticed it effecting electrical based thrusters yet, but it could very well be I didn't fly the fighter I tested with long enough to notice. I tested a few different things for you guys in the video. I hope it's of some use to guys over at Keen to narrow down a fix. video is unlisted on youtube at the moment as I typically don't make bug report videos for any games I play public.

also I apologize if the video is a bit skippy as I used a different recorder than I normally do for this video.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tau Trainee Engineer

Yepee Kai ayy.
    I'ma get back into playing this.

20. Saberwulfy Apprentice Engineer

Nice update, but how to turn on the demist in cockpit windows?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. JimTheSoundman Trainee Engineer

But how long was the load time BEFORE this update? That's the real question. You're never gonna get instantaneous load when you have a 20 million block structure. Is that what you were hoping for?

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. DrakoZ Trainee Engineer

In general I will add from myself.
    Glass, though it looks really better, but, the reflection is not correct, and sometimes it just infuriates. Plus, why make a Muddy glass?
    I do not know what about physics, but when loading saves, the technique is often bounces, and lose the wheels.

23. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

I'm not sure if the cockpit-glass always looked this way, but from the inside you can now see the shadow artifacts from the Sun creep around.
    Glass from the actual glass-blocks look really fine.

24. The Chuggernaut Trainee Engineer

So does this mean I get to see the exciting conclusion of B5?

• Funny Funny x 2
  25. Diemar Trainee Engineer

Gravity Drives broken. Only works for a second or so on each on/off

Time to go play kerbal space program.... again....
    --- Automerge ---
    I have a LOT of code using WorldMatrix. What exactly have you discovered?

26. link8dragon Trainee Engineer

You forget to speak about "Hydrogen Tank" not staying at 50% in creative world ^^
    Or is it really intended O_o
    and thanks for a really "clear window fix", they never look so amazing... as far as I remember ;)

27. Devon_v Senior Engineer

It may not look like much on the surface, but the multithreaded physics alone were a monstrous undertaking. Little in the update was not a major effort.

Massive changes to how the game calculates things. They suspected they didn't catch everything, but they caught what they could, and we'll find the rest.

I've got the 8GB model which is identical save a slightly faster memory clock if anyone wants to compare Tapping performance. For the money it's a very good card.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Window woes (incidentally, some of this was occurring prior to this update but somehow seems more intense now)

Yaaaay!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. Shabazza Junior Engineer

XocliW is the coolest community manager ever.
    Ah, and the update is great too. :D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  30. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Here's a look from the inside.
    Frame rate is Twitch/OBS problem. Game frame rate is much better. Also, I'm using 4K skybox. I don't know if this is noticeable with vanilla skybox.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.