Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.181.1 Minor Beta Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by flexx, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Bad Humour Apprentice Engineer

I don't know if ppl remember this but I distinctly remember a time ejectors were simply a kind of small connector for small ships, which was incredibly useful for connecting very small things to the small ships since well they were so small.

I don't know if they intentionally or unintentionally removed this function from the small ship ejector but can it please be put back in. I've revisited a couple of old WIP progress builds which used this function which are now in pieces.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    • Late Late x 1
  2. V_quinha Trainee Engineer

I... I... I don't know what to say...

This minor update paired with last week's major one are a bigger deal to me than even planets were. I uninstalled the game somewhere in december because of undefineable game limitations. My reaction following last week's patch:
    - Whow... multicore support... SimSpeed performance skyrocketing? Could it be?
    - Ah, there's the catch. Hidden change: hardcoded block limits. Time to stop following the forums, this is it.
    - Interesting discussion on havoc, but I'm just torturing myself now.

This week:
    - Let's check one last time... Wait what... They fixed it? They actually fixed a gamebreaking issue within a week instead of adding some new feature nobody wants? Could they be getting back on the right track?

Current mood: Carefully optimistic.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Foqueasy Trainee Engineer

Uh oh, another hotfix...

Did this fix the sim speed? Or did it add another feature to make all blocks have a 25% chance to randomly explode for no reason?

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. S7E Trainee Engineer

No issues on my side. The only thing I could complain about, are that landing gears are unlocked each time I load a world.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. gordon861 Apprentice Engineer

I seem to remember Keen making a big thing about the change from DEV and STABLE branches to just a single branch with minor and major patches would improve the quality of the patches when they come and allow them more time to find bugs before they release the patches.

Following this 'plan' we now seem to be getting daily patches to fix whatever they broke last Thursday over the last two weeks.

6. pmuschi Trainee Engineer

As a new player, I'm happy with their development plan and the patch/hotfix priority.

7. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

So what as long as they fix it?

8. Thrak Junior Engineer

Preferable that they didn't break it in the first place, I think is the point....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sumyunguy Trainee Engineer

We have the beta tab on Steam that allows older releases to be selected. One can always pick a more stable, older release and play with that. It really helps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Thrak Junior Engineer

As I did with the troubles initial to the upgrade from 1.179 to 1.180. One cannot, however, roll back and use saves created with a newer version of the game, at least not without hacking saved game files. But the ability to roll back is besides the point: As mentioned earler in this thread, the cure, recently, in the form of hotfixes seems sometimes worse than the disease. Moreover, the obvious need to roll out almost daily hotfixes belies the stated intent of the new Major/Minor patch cycle-- to give the developers much-needed time to test fixes and properly prepare the delivery of new content.

Look, even with the disruptions to the game engendered by problematic hotfixes, Space Engineers is in better shape than even a few months ago. As players of an early-access game (the "Now in Beta" marketing label nonwithstanding), I recognize it is incumbent up us to be patient. However, I think it is incumbent upon the developers to be more effectively communicative about what these daily hotfixes are intended to fix.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. gchristopher Apprentice Engineer

Yep. C'mon Keen, you're doing a full build and release cycle via Steam. (And it's still impressive that you do it so frequently.)

Compared to all the work of analysis, programming, testing, and release ops you're doing for a hotfix, it's worth it to include a few sentences of release notes! I mean, if nothing else, you've got a bunch of commits and internal discussion that led to a hotfix. Whoever's hitting "Deploy" has to know enough about the changes to briefly state what they think they're pushing out to the entire userbase!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

What's preferable is not always possible. The gush of wind from the collective sigh of relief the KSH staff let out when 1.180.1 released made it all the way to Alaska (temperature dropped and it rained for two days :mad:). You could tell they worked really really hard to make the optimizations work, they wanted us to have it, and they were getting fine results from all the machines in the office, which are likely not like your machine or mine. What happened afterwards is nothing compared to what would have happened if nothing had worked. Most if not all the things I have experienced since 1.180.1 are just annoying. As it is I am about to officially surpass the 5000 hour mark (and I still don't know how this game works :p).

What we do here is let them know what happened to us when we loaded it. We don't have to be dicks about it (although sometimes that's kinda fun ;)). When they find out what happens they fix it.

Ask Rexxar.

Seriously. He fixes stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Thrak Junior Engineer

Sure, but what is preferable should be strived for. It's nice to give folks an "A" for effort and good intentions. However, results do matter, too. And pointing that out resectfully and with well-reasoned argument doesn't make those who do "dicks."

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. V_quinha Trainee Engineer

I'm calling this a result:

[​IMG]

15. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

you know ... the SE gaming community dont are only creative ship builder .....................................................
    (would SE not sell as an sandbox survival multiplayer game with planets and many "so called" realistic things ..... then YES ... a good result .................)

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. V_quinha Trainee Engineer

Personal preferences aside here: The game has improved dramatically. The fact that something that wasn't within the realm of possibilities half a year ago now is; that's improvement.

Those improvements do not only affect people like me, Rotal, and a few other nuts, they are game-wide. The unrealistic things we build just stretch the game to the breaking point so the weak spots become obvious. If you want to know how something works; watch it come apart. (Xocliw, I want royalties if you use this next week)

Edit: That ship runs at 1 simspeed now. It used to be 0.2 on a good day.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  17. Captain Dawnbreaker Trainee Engineer

Hey do you think you guys would mind telling us what your fixing and what's going? Also please don't do another week with one random timed update a day your making the lives of servers owners that much more of a pain. If you at least told us what is going on to warrant this that would go a long way too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. anomalousreading Trainee Engineer

I too would like to know what was just changed. There are lots of issues.. so I'd like to be able to rule things out.

19. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

So, I loaded up Chilkoot Trail and first thing I saw was this:
    [​IMG]
    Ignore the .22 sim speed cause for me that's way better than the .0002 I used to get, but wtf?

Well, on closer examination:
    [​IMG]
    For some reason these (vanilla) spotlights which are on default settings have turned into lightsabers. Just those and not any of the other vanilla spotlights anywhere else on the ship.

Gremlins?

20. Helaton Apprentice Engineer

How old are the spotlights? Because one of the spotlight settings (think light diffusion - quadratic etc lighting with setting of 1,2,3) is no longer on spotlights. I used to use spotlights to target connectors etc to know when I was above them, now I've had to switch to projectors to line it up.

21. Thrak Junior Engineer

I got to admit, bug or not... pretty darn beautiful.

22. Roxette Senior Engineer

So, maybe multiple daily updates via Steam is slow and inefficient, maybe just have users load the program at run-time directly from some sort of cloud service instead ? >.>

Also somebody needs to remember to remove the 'new' tag from last weeks update post, as people are posting to the wrong thread. Why is that not a routine part of posting the update?

23. S7E Trainee Engineer

How is that slow and inefficient? I come online, see an update and download it. Easy for the user. And Steam is some kind of cloud service.

Care to elaborate?

24. Roxette Senior Engineer

25. Thrak Junior Engineer

Clever. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Back on topic: It's not the delivery method of or even the frequency of hotfixes... it's a demonstrably justified concern that 1) they break as much as they fix and 2) we don't know what they are supposed to fix, so there's no way we can serve our unofficial role as beta testers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Roxette Senior Engineer

Absolutely... but also such frequent updates are a major annoyance for anyone running a multiplayer server, as well as for the responsible technicians at server hosting companies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. gordon861 Apprentice Engineer

Come on Keen, at least let us know what you are trying to fix with these daily patches.

I cannot believe it is not available internally that the Intern couldn't be tasked to cut'n'paste update the first page of this thread with.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. Mr_w Trainee Engineer

fine its a beta/alpha but be realy frelling nice to have a list what these hotfixes do..

would go a whole end in making us understand why your doing stuff.

couse where still guessing most of the time what a bug or intended game feature is!
    ive been true a couple of havock physics games. and they have one thing in common. they all random. in some cases you can even gain energy, however the more mass it has the more controle it wil have. and the more lag/delay/size you have the more it will spazout, mass will fix things to some degree
    this is just a weird weakness of havok.

theres usualy a workaround.. but when thing go **load** **INSTAND DEATH** **laggggg** ... OMG WHERE IS MY SHIP!
    it gets frustrating and reading what that hotfix did goes a whole end.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

I don't really know what exactly is going on at keen, and frankly I don't want to know.

I believe Xoc mentioned on his stream last night that there was this [specific bug] (which i can't recall what exactly it was) that the devs were trying to pin down, so they were trying different things to try and squash it, given they have a limited spread of hardware for testing they pushed it to us to see if it fixed it or not.
    I don't personally agree with this way of doing it, but if the ends justify the means, I'm happy with it.

It's also entirely possible that the patch notes for these particular hotfixes might not really mean anything to the average user. would a patch note saying something along the lines of:

"-Fixed [some array] in [some code] for improved stability of [seemingly unrelated snippet]" given that they are focusing on whats going on under the hood with the game engine, it's very likely that these patches aren't really something we can meaningfully test, rater they are just building on the code base for future optimizations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Betty Gates Trainee Engineer

I deleted my original post because s7e disagreed with it. I thought it had no bearing on this thread, but I'm not the only one that thinks a hotfix update/changelog would be nice. My original post said lock the thread but that was only one way to resolve the issue. Keep us informed! Are we beta testers or early access? I've had the game 3 weeks and put 476 hours into it, and yes lost a lot of sleep. But, I love it does 181.1.106 break the game so my no cheat survival mode go down the drain? I'm sorry but each update that goes to steam gets downloaded period. And again sorry but using 181.1 whatever in beta doesn't work either cause that version is broke too. I've tried disabling updates. Setting so it only updates on load. Tried loading it from the shortcut and even set it to read-only. Steam is getting as bad as Microsoft, which in case you didn't notice they are calling there operating system a service now and demand you update so they can charge you later lol. No but seriously, I can't make heads nor tails of this. Note I love updates just would like to know what they are. I'm sure many of you have been here for a lot longer and are used to this, but honestly. I've spent many years as a beta tester and this is not setup for that(Wanna list ask me). Give us an update for every update/hotfix period! If you disagree with this. You have your nose somewhere it should not be :) Really huh what maybe some more beer help everybody remember what the oh sorry you don't know what the they who where letting us you maybe somebody see if it's fixed???? But it's specific. Oh and no you don't need to know that said array in some code for etc. Thanks but i'd like to decide for myself if said code makes a difference. Final thing if your playing this game you have a higher intelligence than most. Do you expect less from the developers or just more of the you wouldn't understand?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.