Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.181.6 Minor - Beta improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by flexx, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I just pray that the new wheel system will be able to handle impacts like current ones do.

If wheels become unusable as mech feet top speeds, terrain passability and reliability and adjustabiluty will all crumble.

2. eviltek2099 Apprentice Engineer

Created a new world (Solar system) in singleplayer and played for 15 min. went to mine an astroid with my hand drill... But I passed right through. thats the last staw. I've been waiting for this game to be stable for 3 years. I'm done waiting. DU will be available for me to play in 3 months so I thats where I'll be. I wish you well, I've had fun but mostly disapointment to the lack of focus on game breaking issues. Uninstall complete..... lol, I know. DU is 3 months late.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    • Late Late x 2
  3. Merandix Junior Engineer

They sit more towards the middle... and the suspension offset setting doesn't do much anyway (that seems broken), but that setting was often mis-interpreted as 'ground clearance' anyway. You need to play around with 'strength' which is best interpreted as 'spring strength'. Don't worry the protrusions the wheel is mounted on will hit the ground, they seem to have no-clip.

Friction is best interpreted as 'sideways friction'. The resistance of the wheel of moving sideways on the ground. If you set it too high, the wheels will grip the ground and you'll flip over. Keep it around 20% but fiddle around with it based on vehicle dimensions.
    Use a gyroscope for stability and a bit of 'powersteering'.
    power is best kept low. I put it on my hotbar so I can ask for more power when I need to do rock-climbing.
    Damping is set so that it bounces a little bit, but dampens it out quick enough.
    Strength is so that the vehicle raises off the ground (if it remains sitting on the ground, give the vehicle a wiggle with the gyro, the wheels often forget to apply their settings unless there's movement, be careful with this setting, vehicle may jump very high if set to high and the setting suddenly engages)

Yes, the vehicles DO seem to sit lower, but they're far from unusable. In fact, last time I've used wheels before the last week, I cursed them a lot more than I did today. Today, I actually had fun driving around.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. heartlessdeath Trainee Engineer

For anyone that miss the video.

-snip-

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2017
  5. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

I already know that lot, the catch is that at zero strength and 100% strength the wheel is at the same position even after moving the vehicle forwards and back which used to force it to update. They worked fine before the big patch that introduced the new textures and UI, but busted (for me) afterwards. I'm not fussed though, assuming they actually get them working when they get round to updating wheels.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Your bug was not working, so they fixed it. Now the bug works perfectly :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

Would be nice , if the (even pressent pseudo "optimization" with extrem aggresive LOD behavor - blocks geht massive LOD changes to bad GFX very early, the same with Trees and shrubbery - it is no "magic" to optimize the FPS with more bad GFX and lower detailed moddels ..) LOD change not full destroy the "Space" aspect - from the Earth-Like planet the moon of the mars is now not more visible and the Alien planet is full dissapered - only at Mars position the Alien Planet is visible (but Earth Moon not more ..) - this extrem "Space" LOD behavor is ONLY on DS .... if i start an single player game - all is fine .. if i connect to an DS, the planets/moons disappear extrem fast ... i dont think an small dot make so an big change in FPS .....

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Joel is Dead.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Kezat Trainee Engineer

Main thing I'm waiting on is the major wheel update, I keep thinking "OK this week I can use rovers again" but it never comes and from the posts above it might not even be in the next major update. Could we get a little fix for the suspension to tide us over until the wheel overhaul? Does not need to be perfect just usable.

10. Neochrome Trainee Engineer

DSYNC fix please!! surely its just a case of.. "pinging the socket" and reconnect?

11. Nikarampo Trainee Engineer

The server probably has a smaller view distance configured in the settings. Its not a bug. It's different from server to server, depends on how the owner has it configured.

12. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

We must sacrifice another developer to klang. It has been too long.

We need another dancing developer. Can we haz? The .gif drawer is looking kind of empty.
    --- Automerge ---
    I got scared for a moment. Like he pressed "J" in real life when he was looking for the "K."

13. Herpaderpa Trainee Engineer

can we at least get a cringy quote from xocliw? i don't know if i can go two weeks without one.

14. kristakis Junior Engineer

195 weeks since alpha and 194 videos - I hope someone makes one for this week, it would a shame to lose this streak...

15. I23I7 ME Tester

Hey,

could you perhaps elaborate on the issue with landing gears,merge blocks and connectors? These block are receiving a lot of attention any additional information would be welcomed.

Hey,

its fixed but is still in testing. It will get released once it gets approved by the QA that its ready to go public.

Hey,

Can you provide further detail about this? We know about the placement issue and we are trying to get as many cases of this issue solved . If you could provide a video or screenshots of the issue that would swell.

Thank you.

Hey guys,

For the wheels issue i have checked again for the height offset issue where it does not respond to any changes. Apart from that @Merandix gave a good description of what each of the wheel function does. I do not have any new information on the new wheels implementation.

is there anything else anyone wants to communicate to the team?

I23I7

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  16. Roxette Senior Engineer

Yes. Unplug for the weekend, have a good break, remember it's only a game to us, and keep looking out for more socially productive and worthwhile employment, because gamers are so fickle. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. I23I7 ME Tester

Thank you :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

seeing the ever so rare piston bug fix. That makes me happy, I'm sure they're far from perfect, but slowly but surely, pistons are starting to work. Rotors are working decently, if a bit freaky in survival multiplayer. I don't dare combine pistons and rotors though.

Wheels confused about, they were working fine for me. Then that update happened everyone's confused about them, I'm confused about them.

My guess is there is going to moving grid and sub grid rework soon. That's all guess-work though.

19. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

ähh ... it is my server - so i know the view distance( it IS set at Max - 50km..) .. end even "If" it would be to small, this would ONLY apply to grids ... not to Planets - and the max view distance to define is 50km .... (anyway senseless in terms of planets ..)
    So two full different storys ....
    The fast disappear of the planets (120km like planets disappear after ~5000km - a distance where the planet is still very good visible .. smaller "moons" earlyer ..) iss anything related to the extrem LOD behavor in last time ... special is only the difference from single to DS>Client Play ..

Regards

20. EstebanLB Trainee Engineer

Where is the video?

21. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I hope someone does this with that clip.

22. Bumber Senior Engineer

23. VigotheDudepathian Trainee Engineer

Man all the qq over wheels. A lot of the long standing recurring bugs are related to the core code and we probably won't see a fix until major optimizations come thru as there is no point fixing something that's just going to break again. Have faith in keen. Coming from the idea of being a sp game to a huge 64 player game to whatever coolness se seems to be becoming now I think they are doing as good a job as anyone could.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I think the worst problem with wheels is that no one uses them. Thrusters are just easier so why do all that work? Wheels will probably not perform as you would expect when you install them. They need to be tuned to the chassis that you just made. The one Keen had no idea you were making so they couldn't pre-load the suspension with the "proper" settings. No, unlike a thruster that you can just slap on and go, wheel suspensions require a bit more time and effort. I built my first wheeled vehicle well over two years ago and I still use that same vehicle and variants of it.

I saw the teaser. It looked as if they were trying a steering system that allows the wheels on the inside of a curve to turn sharper and make a lower-radius curve, just as the steering wheels on your car do. This would make for more stable turns. It was discussed elsewhere in these forums at length and I fully expected at least a mod if not a change in code from SE. To date neither has happened, which suggests it's more difficult to pull off than some might think. I personally don't believe it would matter since the main reason people flip their vehicles is because they're going too fast. Other games won't let your vehicle flip so you can just go flat out. Realistic physics behavior is a feature of SE and it would be a shame if Keen cheated on vehicles just because some people don't want their stuff to obey Newton's laws.

Most if not all of the other issues with wheel suspensions, including random explosions, have a lot to do with the machine the game is running on. It's rare in SP and difficult to reproduce consistently in MP. That makes these issues hard to pin down, much less fix.
    I'm just wondering what, if anything, can stop planets from eating my ships? All it takes is one touch and I have to restart the game or lose my work. Does anyone know why that happens?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. Roxette Senior Engineer

FTFY ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Gotta admit, most of the time the stuff that happens makes me laugh.

Still, when I see someone flip a vehicle it's usually clear the physics engine is working perfectly ;)

27. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

So, there is not going to be any major suspension wheels change, at least not soon. Thanks for answer, this is very important for me cause I rather to keep my builds on ground... Although it would be nice to be able to adjust suspension height offset again. Despite of most of the people opinion wheels are quite useful if someone know how to use them, I find it kinda fun to force wheels work properly.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  28. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Next time you have to do an update with no video could you make a video update explaining there will be no video update?
    That'd be great.
    CHEERS!
    :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  29. Bumber Senior Engineer

It takes a lot of atmospheric thrusters or hydrogen to fight gravity for heavier vehicles. Remaining in contact with the ground is more efficient. I prefer a hybrid of the two, with a few thrusters for stability and speed.

Still explodes on rough terrain, though. Wish I could get more clearance.

30. Spanners Trainee Engineer

Out of interest we're getting this a LOT on our server at the moment - but didn't previously. Do you use TIM or anything that moves inventory around via script (this would be a difference for us as the previous game was simpler)?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.