Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.182.0 - Major Optimizations, Reduced Loading Times & More!

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by flexx, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. link8dragon Trainee Engineer

Oups, make me think of the script I use...
    "Phils_Ship_Diagnostics" someone else think it could be the problem...? ^^'
    @Darkheyr : could you try adding this script on your station, make a new save of the world (not regular save, a new "save under" with new name, I don't want to break your world because of a test, even if SE has backup save now) and load the new world with the script... I will try on my side and see if it come from there

2. aetherbeetz Trainee Engineer

Well as @Binsath just mentioned, ALL blocks, large and small grid, are eggs now and it doesn't take anyone's blueprints to figure that out.
    Also again, Cannot place fixed gatling gun in survival, both on- and offline.
    And @link8dragon I've tested the adv. rotors, both SG w/ LG head and LG w/ SG head, and my conclusion is... clang. Sometimes they vanish, sometimes they don't. I highly doubt an LCD script running has anything to do with it. I really never have any hope of fixes when it comes to rotors or pistons. The Clang rule is Supreme. A feature, not a bug. Sorry I can't help.
    I suggest archiving the design for your future children to try and fix. Honestly I've had 40,000+ block ships become useless because of these things. Ultimately my fault for trying to engineer with those dangerous blocks.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. link8dragon Trainee Engineer

LOL, I think archiving for my future chidren is exactly what I'm gonna do ^^ thx for the laugh, I really not expecting an answer like that ;) think you have the best answer I can expect from Keen

4. Neza Trainee Engineer

I can confirm the problems with small rotor heads on a large Rotor:
    In my case said rotors were safety locked before the update.
    After unlocking them in the current version, the rotor housing constantly takes damage (indicated by emitting these organge "sparks").
    Once the rotor housing has taken too much damage, it vanishes.
    The small rotor heads were still there and intact in all cases I observed.
    Large heads on the same rotors are working fine for me.

Best regards,
    Neza

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. link8dragon Trainee Engineer

@Neza ok thx for reporting this, mine are safety locked too (forget to precise) ^^ I haven't see these "orange sparks" you talk about (after loading, I have to come back to my ship and they have already vanished) but I think it's the same issue
    I have spawn an old blueprint of my space elevator in a new world (just to verify if it don't come from the script) the small grid after adv rotor is exactly the same as the version I have on my buggy world (for people who want to know) and it doesn't vanished this time...???
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1085243242
    I have the script install on it too, so I confirm that it doesn't come from the script (just have to dig through moon and earth again, yeah ^^) but I noticed something new
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1085243209
    :woot: conveyor tube is invisible, still here but invisible, and yes, it's the same elevator (and just before the adv rotor :eek:,coincidence?)... I think SE don't want to see my awesome build being published one day, for the first time I made something who really work nicely in previous version without issue and simple to handle... sorry guys, I think SE doesn't like me or my ship :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Maldark Trainee Engineer

Petr just uploaded a hotfix for the paper block issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Hyomoto Apprentice Engineer

Indeed it seems so, I was able to land my ship normally without it disappearing. That was a game breaking issue for me! Thank you for fixing it this week!

8. ViroMan Senior Engineer

68mb for a single fix? Don't get me wrong... I am happy if it fixes that but, I am thinking there is more then just fixing paper items to this update then just that.

• Late Late x 1
  9. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

Hoping they included a CTD fix for my new game start :/ - Patch before last broke it; and last update didn't "fix" it.
    --- Automerge ---
    Um No fix stilll :(.
    --- Automerge ---
    I would like to be able to play it for MY Generation - screw the kids, I don't have any.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I found in the past if a world starts acting strange or becomes broken creating a new world and pasting the creations from the previous world into the new world fixes the issue....

11. Neochrome Trainee Engineer

patch .18?? already?

12. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I may have found some issues? Drop a rod of heavy armor... and watch it dig into the ground... ok thats fine... it should. Look at the ground... 20% chance it will dig a hole into blank space on one of the surfaces of the cave walls. You can see into the planet and fly into the planet through it.

Base turrets on the easy start don't fire at things until 100m or so from enemy. Each time enemy passes back over... the lock on range increases until it finally reaches standard range.

• Like Like x 1
  13. link8dragon Trainee Engineer

For the blank space into hole, it happen to me too, think it's due to end of pixel in planet map, go back (until your dig ship is not anymore in blank space, if you can ^^) save (normal save, sometimes shit happen in quick save) and load your world (you can load your last save without quit your game with F5) and it will fix this for around 1km, and do the exact same thing when it will do it again ('cause it happen every km ^^)
    Sometimes (not exact science) going far from of your hole and go back fix the issue, but you have to go really far (like more than 50km, and it doesn't work everytime, but if you have things to do on other planet or far space, give it a try, but if not, take 1st choice and load, spare more time)

For Base turrets, don't notice that, work fine on old world but I haven't try a new world with drone so... look how they are set, maybe something go wrong with range (or maybe it miss a 0 to the range :woot: like weird issue on loading who took you a 0 to the 800m max range or 600m vanilla range if you haven't change the range... but I really don't think it's that... sorry)

14. Darian Stephens Trainee Engineer

Well, it was nice while it lasted; the hotfix appears to have broken that. Again. It is a very small thing, but it's very noticeable, annoying, and disappointing.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dereknor Trainee Engineer

"Fixed issue where depressurising and pressurising the room would generate oxygen (offset should be around 0,01 percent now)"

Thank you for fixing the oxygen :) Its not really fixed, but at least you cant exploit it anymore to create infinite air.

16. I23I7 ME Tester

Hello guys,

Currently starting to gather information i¨ll edit this comment as i report issues.

@Binsath Hey there was a hotfix concerning that problem and it was fixed. I tried it out myself it should be working fine now.

@link8dragon For the rotor problem i bumped it up. Just to make sure we are talking about the same problem for me the issue is with adv. rotor having a small adv. rotor head attached. It causes issues and make the block spin and damages other blocks.

@aetherbeetz Thank you for the gatling block issue in Survival i reported for fixing.

@Darian Stephens Hey which particles are dissapearing for you? I tried damaged blocks,thrusters,tools and ship tool particles even wheels and footsteps on voxels. As for the spinning were you able to get it to happen again on demand?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Ondřej Nahálka QA Lead Staff

Hey guys :)

new hotfix 1.182.18 is live

- Fixed "paper blocks"
    - Fixed wild door collision on fast moving ship
    - Fixed render crash

• Like Like x 1
  18. Darian Stephens Trainee Engineer

Wow, that was a weird thing with the forums; I wasn't able to edit my comment nor post a new one.
    I just wanted to say that the particles have been inconsistent. For some reason, even though they were again disappearing the moment the tool stopped, they started working properly without me even reloading the world. It might have had to do with me dying, since that also fixed me being unable to pull out a drill, but the particles had started disappearing after playing for a while. I haven't had them malfunction again since, though, so it may have been a fluke.
    There does seem to be a weird cloud of grinder particles that remain stationary, but... no, that's just weird.

On the note of more serious things, I was trying to salvage the wreckage of a ship I shot down (And also destroyed my fighter) so I could fly it back to base, but the thing just started... spinning after a while. It would spin on the ground for a time, then stop. It would start doing flips, then stop. The spin-bouts would usually last something like ten minutes, and it was incredibly hard to move when near it, but when standing on it my movement was fine.
    I don't know if it was due to a mod or anything, but it's not the first time I've experienced something like that. The first was around the time planets were first released, where one of my vehicles began floating off into the distance, carrying anything that got caught in its radius along with it. That may have been unrelated, though.

19. krypt-lynx Apprentice Engineer

Well... Pistons does not explodes anymore. Instead, sliding doors does.
    If grid was locked on voxel surface and you merging/unmerging something
    --- Automerge ---
    Affected ship (linking it in SEVENTH time. May be you need to and it in your usual test cases?): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1083796922
    Video:

20. Kidnoff Trainee Engineer

I don't know if it's a bug, but since this update when I double click on my metal plate I miss one... I mean, I can hold 124 metal plate and the game give me 123... So each time I take stuff like that I need to double click one more time to get the last item I can get.

21. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

I've tested latest version for at least 12 hours, SP only, so it is about time for some feedback. Let start with bad things brought with it.

Rotors seems to be unstable, weaker if it comes to external force put onto them. Before it was fine, I could create big, heavy thruster set onto rotor displaced 5 cm above main grid without worrying anything go bad. I have to mention that this atmospheric thruster set turns to left, right, back and forward depending which key I am holding with speed of 10 turns per minute. Thruster set is placed on huge 6KT wheeled base and before it has been working like charm. With recent update it started to fall off whenever force was to strong. Of course changing armor blocks covering this set of atmospheric thrusters onto light one and increasing displacement for about 15cm solved problem, but it seems I'll have to be more careful with additional propulsion grids placed on rotors.

Now, pistons. Whenever I build something that rolls and is complicated enough or simply I predict problems with lost wheels I try to put couple pistons next to them working as service jack. Whenever I have to change tire I press a button, wheel jack slowly extends and rolling beast is high enough to walk under hull, change wheel, fix something, change etc. Really convenient feature. What have changed. Before update I could rise almost anything, even heavy units, now it seems that blocks placed onto piston heads (usually wheel 1x1 or some heavy block) and piston head itself is not holding pressure weight of grid, it becomes crushed into pieces. Problem occurs even with PhysFix mod, which increase velocity of no-damage durability. Wheel jack is simply useless for large grid heavier units and I have no idea how to replace wheel really quick if it's gone. Only block that holds huge mass is suspension wheel, rest can't resist mass. It's not convenient to use wheels as jacks foot, especially that usually there is no space for yet another suspension wheel. I've tried to put rotor onto jacks piston head than changed rotor head into small one, added couple blocks and small grid 3x3 suspension wheel... Funny thing is that single 3x3 suspension wheel set to strength 100 can hold 3KT with no problems when 2 tons heavy armor block simply can't. Real pain in the ass, plus it really worked before.

LCD. Sometimes my LCD shows thing it was supposed to plus something from other screen on other machine. It's funny to see two informations from two different units on one screen at the same time. This is really rare, and probably it's because of working scripts with 60 script refresh per second. Usually AutomaticLCD is mixing with ShipDiagnostic script, anyone noticed anything like it?

World block limit. Usually I play solo and I take all responsibility for size of grids I create, so usually I set worlds with no block limits and its fine but... Sometimes world block limit sets itself back to default values. I don't know what cause that in one minute I can paste nearly everything in other game prompts message 'grid exceeds world limitations'. Than I have to save, exit, go into advanced world settings and set back no limit value. Anyway it's kinda odd, cause my biggest vehicle is built with only 7000 blocks, so it should fit default limitation at least 10 times. Yea, I've read about VRage physical shapes limitation but it's not the case for so relatively small vehicle. I rather to build well thought inventions than simply big and bulky, I enjoy when things work like they should supposed to, so I add lot of control/failsafe mechanisms through all possible ways, it takes weeks to make decent 1000 blocks vehicle to run good enough so big is not for me. I haven't got powerful enough machine nor couple years to build anything that reaches limitations... Still, game prompts me this message and change block limit values which are 50k per grid and 100k per player.

Missing head. Sometimes in 3rd person view while sitting on passenger seat and steering vehicle through remote control my astronaut lose head. Body is still there and everything works fine but... Driver without head? It's quite disturbing sight.

That's would be it, I haven't tested flying things yet. I rather to build wheeled vehicles but I don't think there's something wrong with them. Usually flying machines are simpler, usually there are not to many moving parts, subgrids, cause all of them ruin interia dampeners and center of mass, that is a real shame and main reason I rather to stick to the ground. Now positive feedback.

Suspension wheel block works again! And is really great! I can't remember when was the last time wheels worked so great. Still, wheels could have implemented Ackerman steering within em, but it's not so important since there is script for that. So they work nice and this is a huge plus for dev team. Last week I was complaining about them, just to see they work again this week. Huge thanks!

Performance. Game runs way better than ever before! My average frame rate increased about 15% on empty planet and almost doubled in filled world case scenario! That's not everything, simulation speed improved as well, usually keeps steady at 1.0/1.05. When I place really complicated, heavy (7KT), multi-grid (about 32 moving subgrids), multi scripted (7 heavy scripts running every tick) vehicle it drops slighly to 0.85 and rarely drops lower! And that is a great improvement! Oh and I really love new CPU/GPU load meter next to simspeed and fps-meter.

In general I really enjoy recent update. I know there are many new and old bugs which came with it but it's inevitable with changes at this scale, people sometimes forget about that. They see almost same game, no new blocks, features, they don't see progress made inside, out of their sight. It's like replacing car part with bad performance output, sure everyone would rather to see new shinny rims or kitschy lambda doors but it's engine, suspension, breaks that makes car great. Sometimes changing worse part for better one is not everything, and requires many adjustments to make it work smooth and reliable. Try to put 3 liter engine into 1.4 liter car. It's doable but your suspension will not hold it, your brakes will not be good enough. You have to be patient and change rest of the parts to fit new one and our weekly minor updates are about that. For all of those who don't understand it... Report bugs, participate in adjustments, grow up and stop whining like little baby :-D.

Edit: I've just read there is hot fix update! Great, it seems one of my problems will be gone. I'll check it out when I'll finish work for today. Really good job team!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  22. Hyomoto Apprentice Engineer

Is... Is that true? It would be awesome if doors no long kill, since basically paper blocks and lethal doors are the only two big issues I've experienced.

23. krypt-lynx Apprentice Engineer

- "paper blocks" really fixed
    - In offline they do damage if you stay right into doorway while door closing. Also, they are exploding sometimes now.
    - I never experienced render crash, so, I don't know.

24. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

weeeelll....

The small grid gatling thing is a pain. I just managed to explode my ship trying to lock landing gear on a planet .... but apart from that...no evidence of paper blocks

25. meow-zero Trainee Engineer

Is anyone else having major freezing after loading into a world and when quitting to menu?

26. Ondřej Nahálka QA Lead Staff

We apologize for any problems caused by major update.
    We are working on issues you mentioned. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  27. kingkrieg Apprentice Engineer

Its great to see such dedicated developers, and i dont mean to be a troll or so, but i sincerely thought that this update would include the new teased and long wanted blocks of the parachute/air turbine/hydrogen engine into the game, would there be an ETA for such?

Lastly, and im sure not everybody would agree, but, food mechanics would be wonderful to have for some (with the option to disable such in the menu)

Best regards!

28. Malware Master Engineer

They don't give out ETAs. But the word "months" have been uttered. Better to assume it is and be pleasantly surprised if it's released earlier, yes? It's done when it's done ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Yes I would rather have a working parachute then one that acts as a thruster plummeting me to the ground faster due to a piston like clang glitch.

30. link8dragon Trainee Engineer

@I23I7 first thing, sorry for NOT being really nice in last comments, that wasn't cool from me, sorry, mea culpa
    In another time, I have successfully reproduced the issue on a new start, it happened after 3 or 4 "save and load" with my space elevator deconnect from the rail (station) and adv rotor safety lock, so yes I have see what happened and yes it's looks like to be that, the rotor has spin (try to, but haven't enough space) until it break (making a rain of orange sparks as Neza say before) and I really don't know why it has worked for 1st and 2nd load (already safety lock and deconnect) and at 3rd or 4th load (don't remember exactly, but it's for sure 3 or 4), adv rotor go wild or crazy, I have really did nothing to produce that and reload the 3rd or 4th save did that issue always ^^' really really weird...
    And for finishing, thanks for answering me and reporting the issue, I began to feel really alone in that huge space, hearing the voice of Tester (or God for SE player) gave me the faith again ;)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.