Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.183.0 - Skins, Parachutes & Player Feedback

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by flexx, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Roxette Senior Engineer

I've seen this twice since yesterday, but each time I found that exiting and restarting the game allowed it to connect...

2. globot Trainee Engineer

I have tried a few time to restart game, I even reinstall it but it does not seems to work... this problem appear for every people trying to connect to the server. Not only me.

3. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Probably doesn't come as a huge surprise but i feel the decision to restrict the suit drops to Survival is a terrible one. Feels incredibly backwards; Creative is supposed to have everything at your disposal, whereas you have to work for stuff in Survival. All Suit Parts available to your account's status (i don't have a problem with exclusive skins, i'd just rather not restrict content if it was my decision) should be available in Creative wheras they should need collecting in Survival.
    My relative distaste for Survival is only a minor aspect of this oppinion (though it certainly is one) but i also don't quite see the point of it (other than aritficially prolonging playtime, which, let's be honest, shouldn't be a concern in this playerbase). While it doesn't FORCE you into Survival it certainly takes a fun (and in Multiplayer, important) feature and restricts it to one mode, which turns into busywork if you don't like that mode. Or simply don't prefer it.
    And it's not like it'd be hard to cheese the system; i could whip up a mini Death Star, turn the world into Survival and go to town; collecting them seems like no effort at all, just time consumption (see above) if you do it right. Because in a Sandbox, you streightup can't tune stuff like drop rates as you would in an MMO. As such, acquiring the desired suit parts seems like nothing but... time gating, with a little luck inbetween. I do not like this design and i hope it will change fundamentally.

(I have not read any posts beforehand, so forgive me if that topic has come up, died, got necro'd and died again, but: i don't take issue with set parts being sellable on Steam. As long as all regular parts are available ingame, even in a way that i find horribly wrong, i see nothing negative with people trading and/or selling them. If someone's paying 70 bucks for a pink rifle that runs under "doesn't affect me, but i do wonder why people have that kind of disposable income in this economy" in my book.)

Edit: Oh, and as for the feature itself... i mean, it's useful for Multiplayer? I think. Some of them certainly look good, especially the Medieval Engineers-one. It's just... not exactly the kind of Character Customization i would have focussed on first.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. Roxette Senior Engineer

I see we've also regressed to the situation of having no patch notes for any of the extra unscheduled updates :/ it was nice when they were on the in-game news...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

While i generally would be fine with simply slapping Medieval FemGineer's head into Treebeard's non-removeable helmet (basically removing most of the head from having to be animated) and calling it a day i will play Devil's Advocate here and point out that Treebeard's suit is rather formfitting compared to modern day space suits. A modern day astronaut really doesn't look any different with the visor down no matter who's inside; they all look like the Michelin-mascot. Treebeard's suit, on the other hand, does show us his broad shoulders and barrelly chest. That suit is certainly futuristic if you take a closer look at it. I suspect, aside from not being interested in representation and / or character customization (the latter argument having gone bye-bye after this patch at the latest), they'd want to do it RIGHT (like some of the more realistic female Engineers on the Workshop*), or not do it at all. And from what i see and hear (Good Guy @Xocliw aside) it's rather "not at all", because that's work and it's Beta and they have to work on Lense Flares, and we need to implement the fifeen millionth way to generate power, and there's the Realm to think of....

Note: none of the above is an excuse to not have this done already. The Female Astronaut Model was officially late the day Good Guy @Deepflame gave us the head model which has always been the big excuse for not creating one. Which... has been a while ago.

* like this one: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=342201705&searchtext=Female which has always been my absolute favorite Female Character mod, or any of @Sektan's awesome models.

Edit: i just realized i unintentionally copied the Michellin-comparison. It's just so damn handy though...

• Like Like x 2
  6. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Follow-up patch just hit Steam. Hopefully we get a changelog. :)

7. LetalDark Trainee Engineer

I have the same error.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Eikester Apprentice Engineer

i slapped the ME female head onto the SE astronaut but always had problems with changing the proportions so i did not touch it for a long time

[​IMG]
    i even have different colored hair versions lol maybe its time to try again, i dont think keen will ever do this no matter how many votes it gets on their "feedback" site
    Edit: much the same as decorative blocks or compound blocks, everyone wants them (and they know it even without that feedback site) but keen never did and never will instead they do skins in a very lazy way, this system could be so much better done like actual skins (models, not just retextures), parts that have a purpose like heavy/light backpack, boots that effect walkspeed etc.

9. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Given their track record (Glass notwithstanding... really, what IS it with Glass....) i'd contest that... if they hadn't slapped the BETA tag onto a middle-stage Alpha and started polishing it. If there was more time i'd actually have some faith here, but... mark my words. Release Christmas 2017.

10. Roxette Senior Engineer

I wouldn't hold your breath for that, but I think it was primarily to fix the issue with the dedicated server failing to start under certain hypervisor systems

11. haibusa2005 Trainee Engineer

I think that's the third 28-something MB patch coming after yesterdays update

12. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Welcome back, Commander
    They (Keen) did indeed complain about how much work it was developing the female character for Medieval. It's not Treebeard with a pretty face. It's a different model, or at least that's my understanding. Still don't understand why now that that model has been done it can't go into SE. It could be laziness, or it could be that they have something better planned. I'm holding out for Skyrim level character customization.

I watched @rexxar 's stream last night and I am now convinced that most of my sim speed issues lately are due to mods not taking advantage of multi-threading. Many of the mods I use are old and quite a few have been abandoned. Keeping mods current is a chore most Modders find difficult, with no end in sight. I enjoyed my brief experience with 1.0 sim speed and hope it will return some day.

The live stream was a perfect example of things being harder than they look. We all need to see more streams like that so that we don't readily buy the posts you see here where someone says, "All Keen needs to do is this and/or that and problem solved." Everything is easier when it's not your job.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

Switch the branch in Steam, until such a time you are able to download the update. 1.182 is now available, and shouldn't require any updating. You can continue to play just fine, until you can update at your leisure.

No, the Veteran is a "weathered" version of the default skin. If you do not select anything in the character editor (uncheck), you will get the default skin. The same skin the game has had for years.

This has been a sore spot for me for years. When Keen added the Github, one of the first PRs I submitted was to change that key to require ctrl/shift/alt to be pressed. It was rejected.
    I have continually reminded Keen about this key over the last 2-3 years. I have been continually dismissed, telling me to change my keybindings, or some other excuse.

I have not given up, and continue to mention this whenever I have the opportunity. Keen is wrong here, they should not interfere with a default Steam keybind.

Deepflame (praise him) has already changed this in ME. I'm still waiting for SE to follow suit.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Devon_v Senior Engineer

They talked about having to do a whole new skeleton rig for the femgineer, and give her custom versions of all the animations as a result of that in ME. Obviously Deepflame's team considered it a worthwhile priority, but it's been beyond back burner for SE... I've played around with the various modded female engineers, all of which use the "male" skeleton, and with the bulky suit it looks okay. I really do think letting us just swap heads and leave the body alone for now would be a reasonable compromise. Extend the new skin system to it so we can change at least hair and skin tone and it would be miles beyond what we've got now.

15. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

For cargo ships and encounter ships (I haven't looked at cargo pods), there's a minimum time between spawns and a maximum time. So if you consider your cargo ship appearance to be Time = 0 then there's EarliestSpawn (which can be modded) and then MaximumSpawn. Once a ship spawns, the system is reset.

Hopefully, they include some data in an .sbc file that will give us access to control cargo pods.

I would guess that parachutes sometimes do not open because of issues with the automatic deployment setting. If it's triggered on altitude-above-surface, the cargo pod may not be in the atmosphere when it's triggered to deploy (like when spawning over high terrain like mountains). This would also cause issues if you're using rather small planets as well. There is also a "sea-level" variable that could be accessed, that would help, but would also suffer if planets are relatively small.

Somewhere, there's a variable for controlling atmospheric thruster output. That would be better to key off of. If you're outside of the atmosphere, the variable multiplies the atmospheric thruster force by 0. As you enter the atmosphere, this creeps up from 0 to 1.0.

Lastly, if it were me, I would just deploy the cargo pods with the parachutes open. If the parachutes work like the previous mod, they'll deploy as soon as their is enough atmosphere to trigger them. The downside is that the pod is going to take its time to land on the surface. The parachute mod would cut into sim speed if you had 2 or more grids swinging down towards the planet. I'm not sure if that applies to the vanilla version.

I've yet to have time to play around with it. I was busy roaming a 16 drive RAID 70TB of data last night and there were a couple pucker moments. :)

16. Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

"It don't matter if it's Arturian!"

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Lé Grand Sárrazin Apprentice Engineer

You see though, they kinda explicitly highlighted, "full profiler." Which, to me anyway, implied that a "partial" profiler had been added... hence:

Just sayin, make up yer mind Keen, is it a new feature, or is it still wip??

18. Potter Apprentice Engineer

I really hope not. Now you've got me nervous.

19. DrNiggle Trainee Engineer

This, all day long.

20. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

Not realy a bug report ...
    But with this update, it is not more possible to make Thruster that work with an different gas as Hydrogene ..
    Try to start the game with an mod where create an third gas, where can power thrusters, crash every time the game(save with this blocks set) or refuse to set the blocks with this gas ...

21. krypt-lynx Apprentice Engineer

Guys, stop releasing ninjafixes. @I23I7, @flexx, or whoever I need to highlight?
    That was changed in 1.183.06 and 1.183.017?

I'm hunting ingame programming related issue right now, but there is patches with no description. That I need to do about it?

22. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

They have a habit of not publishing hotfix notes, but I'd rather have no notes than a game that can't connect to any servers, or other really big regression.
    Fixing the game is #1 priority, hotfix notes are lower.

Despite how many people have brought this to their attention, I don't think it will change any time soon.

23. krypt-lynx Apprentice Engineer

We already have really big regression: ingame scripts crashing randomly with "too complex exception"

24. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Yeah I have to agree. Your game is sold through Steam. Steam is not a player choice, it is the only availible platform. Steam already claimed that key. It's off limits.

25. KingDank Trainee Engineer

Veteran is not default. You have to equip Veteran items, which are slightly different than default. You acquired Veteran items by default by purchasing the game in early access.

26. Pegas519 Apprentice Engineer

Krienas, why are you biting my head off?
    1- I wasn't complaining, I was merely asking what was this for, I cannot see any updates notes that justified 2GB download.
    2- What the heck is my computer specs have anything to do with it? You're acting like you're jealous. It is only hardware that will be obsolete in a few years, just like anything else. I actually log bugs all the time, it helps to have it there so I don't have to type it all the time. It was not meant to brag (I think that's how you perceived it)
    3- How do I actually buy the internet? Download speed is what you meant (i think)

There is no problem in downloading 2GB. I download 50GB in a few minutes all the time. What ids your point? Stupid if you ask me to always see the bad side of things first. I hate human nature. Got to elevate above this crap man.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  27. deepplane Trainee Engineer

I've had space engineers for a while, was in alpha when I got it. don't quite understand the requirements to get the veteran skin.

If someone could please let me know what the requirements are for unlocking the pieces, that would be appreciated.

28. Thrak Junior Engineer

I am getting an awful lot of "You're out of luck" messages on container drops in space. Do you need to do more than press the button?

• Agree Agree x 3
  29. Roxette Senior Engineer

I suspect the situation is that an individual player can only win goodies from them at a restricted rate, yet they spawn constantly... just normal Keen things :D

30. Thrak Junior Engineer

Yeah, thinking that too.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.