Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.183.0 - Skins, Parachutes & Player Feedback

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by flexx, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. mikeloeven Senior Engineer

How does the new skin system effect modding ? can you still install and use skin packs from the workshop?

2. Richard Skallabjorn Smith Trainee Engineer

Possible bug, 1.183.017 - container drops... I have been able to capture blueprints of them ( and the contents ) in survival, should this not be so... to prevent additional attempts to get loot?

• Like Like x 1
  3. krypt-lynx Apprentice Engineer

No, it is not true. I have "win" only 3 times during the day.

4. KissSh0t Master Engineer

The veteran skin looks so cool on the assault rifle (。・ω・。)

5. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

the containers are just regular objects once the button has been pressed.and even then, afaik drop tickets are handled by steam so even if the grid is pasted, it shouldn't be guaranteed to grant the same item.(if it does that would be a serious bug)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kristakis Junior Engineer

hmm, my first reaction is :( Almost 3 years of a clean game and now we get the BS psychological trickery of loot boxes. I have always love how SE was good because the gameplay was good and not because some retention mechanic was tricking me into playing. I'll give more feedback via the proper channels but I just wanted to vent while I was still angry.

I'm sure I'm the only one that cares, but there you have it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. krypt-lynx Apprentice Engineer

> tricking me into playing.
    I even have no idea how it can make me want to play. Those boxes are boring. There is no challenge. And they almost always empty. It just does not worth time required for the path.

8. KissSh0t Master Engineer

This is a requested feature.

The idea is to allow players to have different looking characters..... without having to resort to mods, which up until this point players have been doing.

9. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

I'd like character customization that isn't linked to a "gotta catch 'em all" game mechanic.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

It's only a matter of time before we'll have an option to turn them off in the UI. We already have one in the config files. :)

I think they've done a great job on implementing it. When I saw the update video, I was actually expecting to get in-game and find a half-arsed implementation. But that wasn't the case.

I've also mentioned in another thread, I'm all for Keen selling cosmetics IF they use the revenue to fund development of more gameplay features. They have to keep their income flowing somehow, and this is one good way to do it without f****ing the game up and dividing the playerbase with DLC packs. Cosmetics don't lock anyone out of any part of the gameplay, which is good.

EDIT:
    Probably been mentioned already but, If anyone wants to turn the container drops off for whatever reason, change this in your save's SBC file from:
    Code:
    <EnableContainerDrops>true</EnableContainerDrops>
    to
    Code:
    <EnableContainerDrops>false</EnableContainerDrops>
    No doubt they'll add an option in the UI soon, but in the meantime this is the only way to turn it off. Personally, I'm enjoying the containers. :p

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Cetric Junior Engineer

I see most people get along with just a replacement of the face inside the helmet and leaving the suit alone. A completely new engineer character in terms of body shape will become urgent once we get something like a non-spacesuit attire. I still don't get accustomed immersion-wise to the fact our character is always wearing spacesuit, no matter where, even when he is in pressurized, heated. convenient living quarters. I hope this will change some day and we can switch dresses. In real life astronauts will be happy to wear the heavy outfit only when it is really necessary at minus 271 degrees Celsius and no oxygen but hostile environment present. (Also think of a advantage in moving ability once you are in clothes only, could be an argument for those who like to play combat scenarios in SE).
    And then, when a 'normal' dress or uniform will be available for indoors, you can't hide the physical differences between man and woman, so there will be the need for an entirely new figure from head to toe, not sooner. I think that switch of clothes/functional body equipment will be very welcome to the audience, as it opens the path to further variation - think of a wardrobe of dresses from mods, including uniforms as we know them from our favorite TV series *wink Star Trek*.

• Like Like x 2
  12. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

The parachute is nice - no doubt ...
    But only from an "nice videos" or "action gaming" perpective ...
    I have it on my Survival world before not used (the mod) and have it now disabled on my server ...
    The idea is nice , and the gfx ... and the coding very good ...
    But on an survival world it can be abused ...
    In "Reality", parachutes work only in an very limited range of variables ...
    The wight musst for the size of the parachute not to small, not to big
    The drop speed musst in an min/max range ...
    The Air pressure musst in an min/max range (this is the only point that is coded imho)
    And it is not possible to use "as many as i need" parachutes on one "grid" ... as with interaction he get strugled and dont work anymore ..

Actual implementation considered only the Air pressure ...
    It is not important which speed the grid have at drop ..
    If the wight is to high - get 10 more on the grid ....

So ATM i see it as an very cheap thruster replacement with no real background ...
    Other player can have fun with it .... ;)
    --- Automerge ---
    As an constructive idea ...
    In survival, make (maybe optional):
    Only 1 Parachut per grid limit
    Only a limited wight cabable (10to mox ... much more all actual available parachutes bring down safe ..)
    Only usable at an min/max speed ...

Then it would be not an action toy, but an serious survival emergency tool ....

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. K Man Trainee Engineer

Skins via drop-pods is a neat hunting mini-game of sorts where I get to test out a few ships in a "production" (survival) environment.
    --- Automerge ---
    The parachutes on drop pods are opening far too late for my 10x speed mod - they're basically turning into meteors on higher speeds. I need to use the speed mod to get my economy ship into space, 100m/s is just not fast enough.

HOLY MOLY $8 skin?!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. halipatsui Senior Engineer

1: take blueprint from one of these
    2: create it in pvp server
    3:place a warhead inside
    4:profit

15. Slywolf117 Trainee Engineer

About time you add the parachute, that should have been vanilla years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BloodThunder Trainee Engineer

Just wanted to chime in on the new loot system...

And honestly, I rather like it. Between that and SPAT encounters, it gives the player something to do with their ships, which often would just sit in a hangar doing nothing.

Of course, you can always copy/pasta ships in and get rewards, but it's not like it's really hard to get to them, anyway. So, really, I don't see much of a difference, especially since there seems to be a limit on how much one can receive in a given time period. If I had to give it criticism, I'd say it's TOO EASY to get these loot crates. Maybe if one of these satellites were booby trapped, or maybe it could be guarded by a SPAT. Or, even beyond that, maybe the loot crate could be part of some space trader's cargo and he would require X number of components for the rare loot. Either way, it's nice to have an objective other than survive.

I took out custom suits on my DS a while back because of mod size limitations, and I'm honestly really happy that now we have more variation in suits other than color in vanilla.

Either way, great job keen! I'm really enjoying this new update.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Devon_v Senior Engineer

SPRT. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. jemccro Apprentice Engineer

Does this get undone when Keen issues a hotfix or the week's update?

19. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

So far it's been fine after hotfixes.

20. jemccro Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for replying and so quickly. I was holding off on this update, but I may download it and make this change. I use a speed mod and do not want craters left all over the place.

21. Fengist Trainee Engineer

Very nice update. I run around in circles for 5 minutes trying to weld one damned block. I try to grind one block and I end up grinding every block around it. But NOW.... I can waste all that time while looking like a 70 year old hooker with my leopard skin shit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

Anyone else having the problem were the new boxes aren't disappearing correctly on a DS? I had to manually go through the server and delete about a dozen of them.

23. KissSh0t Master Engineer

What is this? I have never seen it before and didn't get close to it before it disappeared..... I only noticed it because I pressed Alt to look around :/

[​IMG]

24. Arcturus Senior Engineer

The Pilgrims Curiosity is a Cargo Ship, much like the mining/civilian/military ones. It is large and has more modern blocks than the older ships (hangar doors, oxygen farms, etc.).
    EDIT: It was added many versions ago, I forget which one.

25. MrJinx Apprentice Engineer

as someone else said you Need a new account, If you had a shop account its the same Providing you know your login info. if not.. you have to resign up as i did, due to the shop accounts having issuses resetting passwords.. (DONT ASK)

26. DaemosDaen Trainee Engineer

Has anyone else had issues getting skins from the "Drop Pods" I'm playing a completely vanilla world, even started it on Thursday, I opened about 7 of them on Thursday and got 3 skins pieces (2 leopard chests, 1 badger helm, I've opened about 50 more between Thursday/Friday and have received nothing but "try again".

Can't say I mind being able to run my starter base off the materials/Uranium these things give me, but it's been 2 days since I've seen any skins.

Any idea what's going on with my game/character/account?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  27. Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

From what I've read is that after your first 2-3 there is a hidden item cooldown period of about 48 hours. So honestly just grind the pods for parts.

This hypothesis, is supported by yours and my experience. I've opened like 12-15 yesterday and received nothing. I have 2 items from crates total.

28. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I opened about 20 this afternoon but didn't get anything.... yesterday I got Cow Print shoes.. lol

--- Automerge ---

@I23I7

I'm noticing instances of landing gear becoming unlocked while still showing green..

*edit*

I am in the little ship in the middle sitting on the big ship, it was locked to the big ship with 3 landing legs, I pressed unlock in that ship and the other small ship "now on the floor" it was locked to the side of the big ship, it unlocked when I unlocked the ship I am in, which doesn't make sense.

Landing Legs are not working as intended, This is annoying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Devon_v Senior Engineer

I believe the devs said the part drops are governed by the Steam marketplace, so yes they have cooldowns/max per X time like the trading cards, and presumably you have to be in online mode (though not multiplayer).

30. Echillion Senior Engineer

O'Really they've screwed the remote control block up in both SP and MP try controlling your drones or autopiloting a ship with the RC blocks brains scrambled? I find it interesting that screwing up the RC block for players has partially fixed it for the Argentavis which before the 183 patch was acting like a brain dead cargo ship.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.