Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.183.2 - Beta Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by flexx, Aug 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Squire Trainee Engineer

I think i figured out what is causing the Drop Containers not to "drop" in my game. The day before patch Update 183.1, I saved my game as a container drop, everything was still working fine at this point. On the day of Update 183.1 I logged in and used the container button and collected my skin. This container didn't have a timer anymore although it had one the previous day as I saved. Since then I thought that no containers were dropping since I didn't see any Unknown Signals". But as a matter of a fact they were still dropping without showing signals. Today I was lucky and as I exited my base a container was close by which I opened. Soon afterwards I saw another one drop. I opened this one as well. No long afterwards on my way back to my base the containers start to drop again with signals. I didn't change anything in my safe game settings or the .sbc file. So maybe the pods signals got messed up by opening a container which timer disappeared due to saving and logging out while it was dropping.:D

2. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Nice.

Note to @I23I7 : While we seem to have determined the symptom (stuck timer) and solution (restart the timer) to the bug, it is unknown what *causes* the timer to become stuck.

3. aka13 Trainee Engineer

Helped me as well.

4. Jon Turpin Apprentice Engineer

So I tested the cores tonight, combined with various Nvidia settings and CPUCores settings. Main thing - I went into Nvidia 3D settings and switched power mode from "Auto: Adaptive" to "Prefer Maximum Performance", trying to force the CPUs to 100 for the game. Result, a slight improvement during menus and camera view - sim speed drops about half as much!

I then opened resource monitor and launched SE, and noted that it IS in fact using all 4 cores, including threaded cores.

That said, SE average CPU utilization was 22%............ so wth is it lagging when there's a solid 60+% more power it can use?

While I have a pretty hefty GPU, I think I'm going to switch PhysX calculations from the GPU to CPU and see what that does. More to follow.

@Inflex Something hinky seems to be going on somewhere. Might you have any insight on the issue?

5. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I don't think Space Engineers uses nvidia's proprietary physx tech.... it uses Havok.

6. gordon861 Apprentice Engineer

This worked for me too. THX

7. KissSh0t Master Engineer

@I23I7

Taking a screenshot in Creative Mode still results in this.

[​IMG]

Taking a screenshot on the Character Customizer screen still results in this.

[​IMG]

And... I quick loaded my game with F5 and something I just started building, some parts of it turned invisible...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. I23I7 ME Tester

Hey @KissSh0t

What kind of hardware are you using again? Was it Ryzen or i7 ? Does it happen regurlarly without any specific steps to follow? We tried getting this to reproduce here in the office but were not able to. Looking into it.

9. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Hi... cpu is amd fx 8320 and the video card is RX 470, driver version is 17.8.1... I am using Medium setting for textures, everything else is set to high.

This is my second time seeing it happen, previously it was a full cockpit turning invisible... loading the game again made it go back to normal.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I23I7 ME Tester

So regardless how you start building you ship. Be it in creative or survival. The issue will appear but reloading will correct the behavior?

11. KissSh0t Master Engineer

If memory serves last time with the cockpit, it was in survival mode, and this second time it is in creative.

I'm not sure what triggers it as it hasn't happened a lot, but reloading does seem to make it go back to normal.

12. I23I7 ME Tester

If you could upload a video of that issue that would be swell.

Alright if you notice anything or know more please contact me or @Ondřej Nahálka
    --- Automerge ---
    Thank you for the heads up i already told the team about it

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Jon Turpin Apprentice Engineer

You misunderstand - Nvidia PhysX setting only sets WHERE PhysX calculations are performed (either the GPU or the CPU), not which engine. Basically, I'm wondering if the i7 can outperform the GPU, maybe boost sim speed a bit more.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Antanas Trainee Engineer

I have problem in update 1.183.2 my game always crashes when I land on planet surface. may be there is same manual fix. P.s last played version was 1.181.3 and it worked just fine

15. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Space Engineers does not use Nvidia PhysX at all, so it would make no difference at all.

16. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

If it did we could have "NVIDIA PhysX Flex" to simulate partial liquid vomit and gore like in Killing floor 2.
    >liquid water
    [​IMG]
    it looks nice but really quite a unnecessary feature.......erm...eye candy feature
    suppose it would look pretty slick if you're mining and rock dust and sorts could drop onto your ship and roll off it ofc keeping it graphically only.

17. Jon Turpin Apprentice Engineer

I see what you're saying, now. So the question is: Which side does Havok go to for their calculations? CPU or GPU? Or is it adaptive? I did some research, and noted that a LOT of the physics calculations are done in software - which may be the sticking point for sim speeds, as I certainly don't have the software running on my machine (that I know of, at least). So, for the calculations that ARE run in software - where is the software running, exactly?
    --- Automerge ---
    I have seen this as well, using i7 7700k and GTX 1060, but simply grinding the block below the functional line and rewelding it fixed it for me. Happened a couple times - not on load but after using a ship welder to weld large sections of my space base. After finishing one quarter, and moving to the next section, when finished with next section several blocks became invisible on the first section.

18. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

You cannot run full Havok physics on the GPU in a multiplayer game, because it's not possible to synchronize it, it'd be purely client side.
    Things like grid position, rotation, velocity, collisions, and block deformation all need to be done on the CPU.

Havok, PhysX, and Bullet have GPU side methods to do these things, but would only be applicable to singleplayer, and would not be persistent in the same way most likely.

Certain things can be done GPU side in SE that are only necessary for the client to know, and do not persist. For instance, the particles you see when grinding/welding/using jump drives are all done with GPU-side physics (although these are custom non-Havok based). The game just accounts for when the event happens and relays this to the client so all clients will receive their own rendering of the particles, but you will not see the same particle movement as another player. You will see similar movement if other physics elements affect it the same on both clients, like wind moving the same direction (which would be a calculation that would need to be synced on CPU) or gravity.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Jon Turpin Apprentice Engineer

Thank you for the info! Currently, I am playing on SP. And now I'm back to null on my search for the sim speed culprit :/ But at least I learned something :)

20. KissSh0t Master Engineer

@I23I7

Maybe this is a bug? :woot:

Not my video.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. I23I7 ME Tester

Yeah we actually have something already brewing for this issue but thanks for sharing it :)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.