Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.184.0 Major - Half Armor Blocks, UI & MP Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by flexx, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. D3Seeker Trainee Engineer

^^ As much as I do still enjoy the game, I have to be blunt. The half block seems to have been added as a last second add-in to make this 'major update' ~feel~ like they actually added something to it. Which I honestly think they would have been better off leaving out because lets be honest.... we all know this game could use some back-end "optimization" (I use the quote because the term has multiple meanings here) And that does seem to be what this major update was all about, getting it running better. They could have avoided the flack by just leaving the half blocks to a later update where they could have focused on making it work.

2. xiojade Trainee Engineer

I absolutely agree with you, but the Half Block was a highly requested armour addition and has been for a while, with the added fact that it's one of the first blocks to be worked on and included from the new feedback forum. I think it was one of those things that was very easy to do with minimal interference with other things that could get pushed out upon the request of a lot of players. I honestly don't think that halving an armour block, texture and hitbox would have had any realistic impact on the amount of work they're doing trying to optimize things.

As for the Half Block for small grids, I kind of agree. It would definitely not be useless by any means. If the half block is useless to a small grid, why then do we have the 2nd half of the 2x1 slope, which is essentially half a half block? Why did you not just give us a bigger 2x1x1 block? People obviously want it, so why not provide it? It seems silly to have armour blocks available for one grid but not the other. A half block for small grids would be a wonderful addition for aesthetics.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Devon_v Senior Engineer

I think it's because the two grids don't move in ME, so they don't need to actually be synched or technically attatched to each other as far as Havok is concerned. Look at pistons and rotors to see how SE handles it.

Actually integers alone are fine, it's the good old INT, which has only 32 bits, that can't count passed 2.1 billion. :)

4. FoolishOwl Apprentice Engineer

I can't imagine how you'd even have the time to download and test that many mods, let alone test for conflicts between them.

5. joonabbi Trainee Engineer

Next up memory issue?? ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Ondřej Nahálka QA Lead Staff

Issue with Mods downloading is fixed in latest update (hotfix 1.184.006). :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. RazzaSumma Trainee Engineer

With this new update, F12 doesn't bring up Developer's Screen. Did the key for it change again? I can't find the option for bringing up the developer's menu in the controls setting.

8. rexxar Senior Engineer

F12 menu was removed. It's a developer menu and wasn't meant for players to use.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  9. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

And it works! :carlton::tu::carlton:

10. RazzaSumma Trainee Engineer

Ah, okay. I was using it in conjunction with creative mode building on or around planets to get the sun rotate in place where I wanted it to. Thanks for replying.

11. [LP] OMG Shadow® Trainee Engineer

Nooo, it was so useful! Please think over it again. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who'd be absolutely happy to get it back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. John Green Trainee Engineer

This patch is not your best work. Crashes often. How to rollback ?

13. [FMP]Kaname Trainee Engineer

Despite not meant to be used by the players, it is (or was) a good tool to track down what construction is slowing sim speed down or to find a good compromise between graphics and speed. I know at least on certain w4sted that will not be happy about this...

Also, the hotfix broke another thing for me. Grinding down a certain rotor on a small grid throws the game into constant loop of about 1 second including sound, freezing the controls. I have to kill SE in the task manager. It even occours when I grind down the connecting light armor block one or two blocks next to the rotor. The rotor is not safety locked, grid powered or unpowered does not change a thing. My best guess is that it has to do with physical moving that rotor, but the freeze also occours while griding on the block, not only after removing a block next to it...

Guess you added the real clangmachine to the game at last...
    Edit: Going to shoot it. If that does not work, I'll put it in a showcase somewhere in my base until this bug get's fixed, so for the next 2 years or so...
    Edit2: Shooting the rotor freezes the game, too. Now it's the rotor plus 3 light armor blocks on the side. That thing also always tips over with the rotor facing down. Very odd...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. joonabbi Trainee Engineer

It might not be just the rotor, as I've been having these freezes whenever a block gets grinded or damaged. For example if I happen to crash an atmospheric flying ship, or rover in earth the game crashes and says the memory has run out. I have 16 gb RAM, so I doubt it runs out.

Maybe you could try with a different scenario, like mine, perhaps and see what happens? I didn't have any rotors nor pistons on my ships when I've crashed them.

15. Admiral_peck Trainee Engineer

these crashes don't happen until I've been playing for at least a hour, but after a while instead of white puffs it will be ugly black pixelated puffs, kinda like the low-res explosions found in the first Nintendo ds transformer games
    --- Automerge ---
    how can you even make sense of a block list filled with blocks from even over 100 mods? also using so many mods is just asking for clang, not to mention the issue that if even one mod breaks from an update, as it will probably take you forever to figure out which one it is. also how many duplicates do you have? because i'm pretty sure there's only about 1000 working mods on the workshop, and if one of them is parachutes you should probably remove it since they're vanilla now, one less mod to worry about
    --- Automerge ---
    that kinda just happened to me, and it was with a large atmo drill ship but it didn't crash immediately, instead it just bounced like SAGE's virus did when he hit mars in the mars landing video, and i tried turning on my drills juts to see if i could get something, but instead of drilling, it just threw out like a bazillion detached trees, and i sat there for a minute just saying um repeatedly, then i figured out i didn't have enough directional thrust to get back up, so i committed suicide to respawn at my asteroid base station thing, and then while adjusting my welding ship to make sure it would have enough upwards thrust, the grinding clouds killed my GPU and it actually gave me the GPU message for the first time ever instead of just infinitely not responding but not quite crashing meaning i don't get a crash report because i have to alt-F4 to get it to close.

16. xiojade Trainee Engineer

Indeed the mod issue has been resolved, thanks guys :) As always you're awesome~

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  17. Jon Turpin Apprentice Engineer

Can you guys please look into the issue with the remote control canceling thrust override - even when you uncheck the box for "Control Thrusters"? Seems the remote is a troubled child of late.

Thanks you :)

18. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

@GrindyGears
    I found piston&rotors all other as "useless" ..
    But i (and my friends) play SE in survival and multiplayer ...ONLY ...
    Here it is hard to use an block where lead to 99% (if you use it in complex mechanical ways) to explosions and waste of resources/Time ...

The rest i can only agree :)

19. Arturo Cofresi Trainee Engineer

I get the freeze when removing remote control blocks... LAME!!!

Edit 1: Deleted the block to which the RC was attached to... frozen again, this is on a ground wheeled rover... going to do some more extensive test and move this to a bug report...

20. Xanthyn Trainee Engineer

If I'm not mistaken, the F12 developer menu was the only way to manually rotate the in-game sun (even in creative mode), which is essential for getting proper lighting in videos and screenshots. There's a screenshot contest going in which proper lighting is one of Marek's criteria. This seems like a bad time to take that away.

• Agree Agree x 5
  21. Optoclaw Trainee Engineer

Another issue I seem to have run into is that, strangely enough, my game loaded up faster in the previous game version before the latest update then it does now. Yes it still took upwards of 30 min to load since it had to load almost 600 mods but now it takes almost double the time. I sat here for almost 30 minutes just waiting for the thing to finish loading the mods THEN go to the proper loading screen where it took a similar amount of time before finally loading the world completely. The way I know this is because the YouTube videos I watch are usually 20-30 minutes long themselves. I watched three of these before the game finally finished loading. The last version I could only watch one of these videos before the game loaded completely

22. nukeguard Trainee Engineer

So from what the blog is saying, we have to use the old fake asteroid skybox?

• Funny Funny x 2
  23. Roxette Senior Engineer

"But that old fake asteroid skybox was so much fun" - Marek Rosa - Trolling noobs to the game since 2013 :>

24. Devon_v Senior Engineer

I was at 279 at one point. Not all mods are big or major. Some just replace one texture, or revert one block to an old model, or add a single visual varient block and are both quick to download and have no real effect on the game.

Edit: Or you collect Doctor Octoganapus' s planets like Pokémon.
    It's a little odd that the old skybox is pictured, because the text, which seems more aimed at Keen's artists, talks about not doing things like that. It does call out a "bright" skybox however so that shadowed foreground elements have contrast.

Basically the rules of the contest are everything I've modded SE not to be: bright and colorful. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  25. matth Trainee Engineer

I've seen a lot of bug reports saying if I remove this type or grind that the game crashes. From looking at my log and the logs posted on bug reports, it seems this could be related to the "can't remove block groups bug". I think that the game crashes with out of memory error when (edited) some blocks that is part of a block group is removed, ground down, or destroyed.

Also please bring back the developer menu :)

xception occured: System.OutOfMemoryException: Array dimensions exceeded supported range.
    at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.set_Capacity(Int32 value)
    at System.Collections.Generic.ListExtensions.AddArray[T](List`1 list, T[] itemsToAdd, Int32 itemCount)
    at Sandbox.Game.Entities.MyCubeGrid.AddGroup(MyBlockGroup group)

then

at Sandbox.Game.Entities.MyCubeGrid.ModifyGroup(MyBlockGroup group)
    at Sandbox.Game.Entities.Cube.MyCubeGridSystems.TerminalSystem_GroupRemoved(MyBlockGroup group)
    at Sandbox.Game.GameSystems.MyGridTerminalSystem.RemoveGroup(MyBlockGroup gridGroup, Boolean fireEvent)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  26. nukeguard Trainee Engineer

But I liked F12 menu, was really helpful.

• Agree Agree x 6
  27. Lurch84 Trainee Engineer

Did the volume/mass of large steel tubes get a big increase? I'm sure I had a bunch of other components in with them in a full cargo but not anymore... Not bothered about that but has anyone else noticed it aswell or any other adjustments?

28. AViegarien Trainee Engineer

Since making the F12 menu a profiler only option is there another way to check LODs on your models? If not, can we add something like that into the F11 menu? Right now I just have to run the profiler version since the dev menu is the only way I know how to force check LODs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Roxette Senior Engineer

30. [FMP]Kaname Trainee Engineer

Yes, large steel tube volume increased massively to 160 liters now which I think is absolutely overboard.
    If you play with normal inventory, you can only carry two at a time. Good luck building a refinery with that...

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.