Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.184.8 - Beta Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. XcaptinharlockX Trainee Engineer

so no fix for hydrogen thrusters not working on planets then? looks like I'm still stuck on the ground lol

2. UbioZur Trainee Engineer

Still crash while existing to windows!
    Sure minor bug and not game breaking, but really annoying in the long term!

Keep up the good work

• Like Like x 1
  3. BlackFish Trainee Engineer

As much as I hate to be that guy...The hyping of an update is probably the worst thing you guys could do....With the track record thats been happening with these newer"updates" including skins and stuff, really rubbed people the wrong way. And its obvious you guys got the message with the backlash you got on the update videos you've been putting out. So saying something as this update is gonna blow our minds, really makes me doubt at what could possibly be so mind blowing to make me come back and play.

Ive had SE since the beginning like 4yrs ago, waaaay before unlimited worlds were a thing....The biggest thing holding this game back is what do you do...once you've built your base, your ships, your mining stuff.....Like seriously, what do you do then? There is no incentive to explore or do anything. Sure the derelict ships was something....but thats it.

What happened to that AI engineer video you guys had years ago where you had the AI run around on a ship....What happened to that? The hype for having crewed ships seemed to have died and got directed to hype for planets instead.

Sure there are mods that help with the question of what do to do....but I want to know WHAT Keen has to say about it and if they have any plans to remedy this problem.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. odizzido Junior Engineer

Next stop on the hype train, Disappointment City. Be sure to grab all your tissues when exiting the train.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Braethias Apprentice Engineer

Is... is this folders for blueprints?

6. Dataro_X Trainee Engineer

:D Great, thanks!! :tu:

7. Thrak Apprentice Engineer

Nope. It's a drop-down list allowing you to sort by Name, Creation Date, and Update Date.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I want to be teased by the next major update... A screenshot... a pixilated image... jumbled message... something... anything 9___9

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Logi Apprentice Engineer

We are mere mortals, we couldn't comprehend such a mind blowing teasers. And Keen in their infinite wisdom are preventing premature mind blowing by not teasing us, untill we are ready.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. darth_crunchus Apprentice Engineer

Forced Miner I take it as you're a prime example of his point?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

Just no Teasers - I had enough of those things during planets - personally i don't see the next major update being that exciting - it's not in Keens nature to do anything but stir the hype hive and produce medicore results....

AS a side note: If they break Hunting and Survival Mechanics Mod again - I'm totally going to be pissed.
    --- Automerge ---
    You can't expect mod authors to update mods every time an API change happens - some of them no longer even USE SE. It's entirely Keen's fault because they are the ones breaking the mods in the first place; and not just one or two - but usually dozens per update. Ironically Block mods are the least likely to be effected by most API changes as well - since y'know they're mostly aesthetic. The vanilla blocks just don't preform that well in some cases (especially the small hydrogen tanks - totally screwed that up Keen). I just wish keen would stop screwing with "old" API Functions and instead take an "Additive" Stance to new modifications to the API - that would solve a whole lot of problems with mods being made "unusable".

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Pharap Apprentice Engineer

Messing with old scripts is a good thing.

The new API has better features, gets rid of outdated stuff and actually fixes some of the broken things (including one security issue).

Heck, the API overhaul is actually the thing I'm most hyped about, check out the thread if you aren't convinced: https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/modapi-and-pb-api-changes-nov-2017.7398158/

Don't blueprints already have a search box?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ViroMan Senior Engineer

We get a blood spray now?!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Anyone wondering what the major update will be about need only click the link in the OP that Rexxar provided. He explains everything in exquisite detail.

Essentially, they're ripping out a lot of stuff that was slowing down the game. Old code and/or code that didn't get used.They added more efficient code to replace code that got exploited, eliminating the need to exploit, not necessarily the exploit itself.

Script mods may be in trouble, but on the other hand Programmable Blocks are easier to use so maybe you won't need so many script mods?

If nothing else it shows (at least to me) a continued commitment to having the game run as best as it can, which is more important (again, at least to me) than "finishing" the game just to say they're "finished". This all may suck for me for a while since I use so many mods but, I'm used to it :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Thrak Apprentice Engineer

I don't mod, but I have to say, this caught my attention as a good thing:

The most exciting new feature is that Programmable blocks no longer require timers! This feature will get its own guide, but basically you can configure the PB so that it runs its script every 1, 10, or 100 ticks. This allows for some very flexible scripts, and actually improves performance! To be completely honest, I was so excited to implement this, I got the ticket on a Friday morning and worked through the weekend to turn it in that Sunday evening. This is something a lot of people have wanted for a long time and it's finally here!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. skullgrabshinkicker Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pharap Apprentice Engineer

There's a saying in the software industry that there's no such thing as a finished program.
    When TF2 manages to resurrect itself every halloween and christmas, and even Half Life 2 gets the odd update, I'm beginning to think they're right :p

The creator of that mod, Digi, is one of the people who has helped to make this API overhaul possible.

18. MrJinx Apprentice Engineer

Don't blueprint already have a search box?[/QUOTE]

Yes, And since there was a Very clear what blueprints menu they altered. *There is x2 blueprints menus*...
    1, The F10 Menu for ship and Creation Blueprints. *has search and Now sorting*
    2, The assembler that has some crap buttons for sorting that isn't helpful with any extra parts that can be made.. "also called
    **BLUEPRINTS**.

So... From that, Until i went into game 15mins ago. and checked on this... "New Feature" ...
    I would hope that since keen is not making videos... Features like this could have a "Screenshot" to show clearly the New Features.. so comments like mine could not be taken out of context.

**to be clear**... My comment was about the Production Menu sorting within assemblers and Its Blueprints Search...
    A Feature with over 5k vote ups.. that has been marked *considered* like EVERY single thing posted almost.

Thanks..
    *Dark aka Mr Jinx*

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

[​IMG]
    Nope. :p thankfully the only modding i've ever done was soundblocks...and they have yet to be ..well mod broken.
    in fact a few updates back they made it so the audio doesn't need to be converted to a ...erm....skyrim..uses it....erm.....convert from .wav? xwm! that was it i had to use a skyrim sound converter that turned a .wav into a .xwm but some awesome dudes at keen removed that step so even just a .wav can be used. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Ondřej Nahálka QA Lead Staff

Hey,

please update the game (hotfix 1.184.801)

I hope this will help.

21. druppi Apprentice Engineer

22. UbioZur Trainee Engineer

Yes it did :)
    Just tried and didn't had that crash anymore :) Good job

• Like Like x 1
  23. Pharap Apprentice Engineer

Really? Well that makes things easier!
    *nukes sound conversion scripts*

24. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

no no no don't delete them just yet i heard it i haven't tested it yet!
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Azirahael Apprentice Engineer

Well, it's no change to people who play the game, other than some mods breaking.

But it is a big change to people who make mods.
    Making it easier to make them, and hopefully stop them breaking as often.

26. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Thing about SE is that when I bought it three and a half years ago it looked to me (and many others) like a finished game. A few touch-ups and, there! Done! I bet they thought they were about done, too. That was 2015.

There are two problems with SE getting to "finished": fans that want more, and programmers that think they can get more out of the code. Actually, there's a third problem: Modders getting the game to do stuff Keen said couldn't be done. Plus, they're still working on the art, figuring out what blocks they still need to provide, getting Space Engineers to be as liberal as Medieval Engineers by getting women work in space as miners and engineers...

Since I only paid six dollars for the game and it continues to improve, I'm not entirely certain that I really care when they finish it. If the next MU means mods will be more stable then I'm ok with a 2020 release date.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  27. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I thought the same when I bought it. I thought it just needed a few MAJOR bugs fixed and it was pretty much "done" from a ver 1.0 stance. Anything after that was gravy and probably mod work. Then keen just kept adding more things...

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. FoolishOwl Apprentice Engineer

Amusingly enough, Marek Rosa said Space Engineers was just about finished back in 2014, before they added planets.

29. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

You can't expect mod authors to update mods every time an API change happens - some of them no longer even USE SE. It's entirely Keen's fault because they are the ones breaking the mods in the first place; and not just one or two - but usually dozens per update. Ironically Block mods are the least likely to be effected by most API changes as well - since y'know they're mostly aesthetic. The vanilla blocks just don't preform that well in some cases (especially the small hydrogen tanks - totally screwed that up Keen). I just wish keen would stop screwing with "old" API Functions and instead take an "Additive" Stance to new modifications to the API - that would s
    IF I had a penny for every time someone said "Hopefully this will stop mods from breaking so often" - I've have millions of dollars. Breaking Mods to institute new systems just doesn't work that way The Only /REAL/ way to stop breaking mods is to stop fiddling with existing functions and events.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

huh that's weird. I played survival yesterday and I don't have that problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.