Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.185.1 - Beta Improvements, Physics & Engineering Contest

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. darth_crunchus Apprentice Engineer

You have to remember, though, not everyone likes or wants the more flashy skyboxes, either. Those are practically a dime a dozen on the Workshop. I, for one, would rather have plain stellar skybox. Something that is simply a starfield. It's more realistic, as like 90% of space is practically devoid of anything, and Keen are going for as realistic an experience as they can with a game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. KissSh0t Master Engineer

One of these days there will be an update that ads things to do in singleplayer with ai characters and things to interact with....... until that happens... I will.. keep playing the game.

*CRYING*

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Not particularly excited to see that skybox making a come back. Even if it has been 'remastered'. Hopefully the current skybox will go up on the workshop so I can keep using it as I personally prefer it to the 'new/old' one.

4. MisterMagoo Trainee Engineer

Define "better".

It's not even a complicated ship. :V
    It seems that the braking force of a rotor turning at <1RPM is just way too much for their physics engine to handle.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Roxette Junior Engineer

It is, however, clearly using old mods which are known to be broken.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. R-TEAM Apprentice Engineer

Ho Ho Ho - this IS false ... (sorry - but the true musst be true ..)
    Old mods with "scripted" parts are likely broken (the older the more likely - as the mod API for scripts have changed partly much, partly none ..) - but not 100% ....
    "Normal" block models are only to tend broken if the modder was unable (many part time modders where ignore warnings and now the warnings are errors) or have bad luck - as the most basics have not changed ... (o.k. - glas values have changed "much" over the time - but then the glas is only not transparent ..)

7. Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

you mean space potato!
    POTATO CONFIRMED

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Pharap Apprentice Engineer

Because he's clumsy?

9. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

That or he has a broken sunglass fetish. @Xocliw we'd like to know more.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

To be fair, the "smeared with poo" thing wasn't his idea. We got the poo because Marek made it a priority at the wrong time. You can thank him for the windows we have now, though ;)

I'll have to say that having a lot of old mods is not conducive to extended gameplay these days. My stuff still works but causes performance issues, but any attempt to adjust settings in order to increase performance makes something explode. Adding new blocks often makes the game crash, and even the backups won't run. It's been a real game of whack-a-mole trying to figure out what thing on my ship is making the game crash this time.

Still, I passed the 6000 hour mark a few days ago, so...

11. Artax Trainee Engineer

Unfortunately, then those fixes would likely be broken when they had to fix physics. Something so deeply core to the game has to come first, so other fixes can be made.

• Like Like x 2
  12. MisterMagoo Trainee Engineer

It works just fine in Creative mode. Besides that, I've heard other people talking about how there are issues with setting rotor limits to 0 degrees for whatever reason.
    I also would have liked to use vanilla drills but SE wouldn't let me.
    [​IMG]
    No idea why either, I've built small ships with more drills than this without a problem.

13. Pharap Apprentice Engineer

Have you checked your world settings at all?
    I'm pretty sure it should just be a matter of upping certain limits.

14. MisterMagoo Trainee Engineer

Ship size and max blocks-per-player were set to maximum values. I highly doubt that ship exceeded 5,000 blocks as bare-bones as it was, and I also highly doubt that I had placed over 100,000 blocks already, as it let me place the modded drills just fine which also required additional armor blocks for support and conveyors for spacing.

To prove my point that this is extremely goofy behavior, here is the exact same ship, with the exact same "broken" mods, with the exact same save settings, on the exact same save, only in Creative mode, and not inside the asteroid (trying it in Survival outside of the asteroid results in the same glitchy behavior as in my previous video).

It works perfectly.

*update*
    For some reason, previously while testing this ship, setting "Shared Tensors" on the drilling arm rotors would cause those rotors to effectively become "stuck", only moving if the ship was also moving.
    But now it doesn't. And setting it to "on" for those rotors prevents this from happening in survival. But it's not required in Creative. Why the discrepancies between Creative physics and Survival physics?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  15. Pharap Apprentice Engineer

I was thinking of the limits to the number of specific block types per grid.

If it's defininitely an issue then file a bug report in the bug report area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. CanOmer Junior Engineer

Where are screenshots stored?

17. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

Wheels seem a bit borked when first placed but after a quick save and reload they work pretty well.
    and i don't know about other engineers but they wheels don't seem to stutter left and right as much...quite a breakthrough! :D
    they still slip and slide with hand braking and handling being pretty poor but still manageable.
    the one form of transport i truly enjoy is getting work done and i couldn't be any more happy. ^^
    it just feels more exciting driving around then hitting a bit of a bump or ramp going into the air and then feeling the minor fear of...will my suspension settings smooth out this landing.

18. Roxette Junior Engineer

o.o seriously? How can you have been playing the game for almost 3 years and have to ask this?

[​IMG]

Normal in-game (F4) screenshots will be in C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Screenshots

Steam in-game (F12) screenshots will be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<your steam ID3 number>\244850\screenshots

You can find all the variants of your steam ID via https://steamidfinder.com

(all assuming standard default keyboard options and installations of the game on windows 7 or later)

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. Pharap Apprentice Engineer

Not everyone has Steam installed on their C drive. (Some people don't even have a C drive.)
    Not everyone has their %APPDATA% in the same place as their user account.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

It's possible if you've never, ever cared where SE puts your screenshots. You can take a screenshot and upload it to Steam and Facebook without a clue as to where it was stored.

That's how.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. MisterMagoo Trainee Engineer

I don't have Steam installed on my C: drive and my screenshots are still stored in %appdata%...

22. Pharap Apprentice Engineer

The location of the Steam folder dictates where Steam screenshots (F12) end up, the Space Engineers screenshots (F4) will end up in AppData regardless.
    Though Steam screenshots can be moved to a different folder too by using the Steam systray icon>Settings>In-Game>Screenshot Folder.

23. capnbeef Trainee Engineer

better multiplayer.:p

• Late Late x 2
  24. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

It's not Marek's Game - Marek Designed it - It's our game now that we have savedata to protect :p

25. Pharap Apprentice Engineer

It's Keen's game, both philosophically and legally - technically we're all just licensees.
    (Marek partially owns it indirectly depending on how much of the company he owns.)

26. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

No. If it was MY game it would be different. Buying a copy of the game does not make me an owner, nor does it give me the right to dictate policy or influence the design. The developer has graciously allowed us an opportunity to participate in the development, however in doing so some people have taken it to mean that they have sole authority over every aspect of development and behave as if their fifteen bucks bought them the company.

If Marek wants the windows obscured there is not a whole lot any of us can do about it. If that decision is made, many of us would stop playing and people considering the game may not buy it. The consequences would be harsh for Marek and KSH. The rest of us would be pissed about as long as it takes to load another game. If Marek prefers the original skybox then that's likely going to be the vanilla skybox. It's his choice and one we as players can circumvent in about three seconds.

It's... highly unlikely that anyone and everyone playing SE will be fully satisfied by what the vanilla game provides or will provide. KSH cannot now or ever know exactly what needs to be in the game, which means it would be DOA upon release if it weren't for mods. Especially since most players seem to prefer using SE to recreate some other franchise. It must be a bit frustrating for Keen to try to do something different, only to have everyone urge you to do things just like the other guys. What I find most commendable about KSH is their commitment to their original vision, thus remaining... original.

On the other hand, I haven't bought a copy of Medieval Engineers yet because I already have all the Elder Scrolls and Lord of the Rings games, thank you. However, if I had access to all six simple machines...[​IMG] Just sayin'.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Late Late x 1
  27. KissSh0t Master Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
  28. Auhrii Apprentice Engineer

I'm going to hazard a guess and say the new wheel physics, wind turbines and stuff are coming in the next major update? (Or several?) Really looking forward to ground vehicles actually being a viable option!

...also, whatever happened to that pistol that was teased ages ago?

29. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

it was a teaser mistake. :p
    there was also a shotgun.
    really HD models and textures the creator must be proud. but they're not for SE.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Auhrii Apprentice Engineer

Makes me kinda sad, I'd like to have my engineer carry around a sidearm (an assault rifle seems a bit much for personal defence). They were really good models, though. Props to the art team! :D

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.