Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.185.6 - Beta Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Dec 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Harbinger Ace Trainee Engineer

Still no fix for refineries being unable to refine all these salty forum replies.

• Funny Funny x 12
  2. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

Where I live, we pretty much call this "work". We're all required to do it. We all get to take time away from out families in order to provide services or widgets. Customers expect that I continue to work during that period. That's why I get paid. I get criticized...even during the Holidays...when I don't do my job. Don't get me wrong....It is a nice time of the year for people to say "thank you" for working so hard over the year, but my people still demand their service and widgets....which is why I receive a paycheck.

-Morloc

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Eveybody into *happy new year mode* while still 3 whole days away :D

4. darth_crunchus Apprentice Engineer

No, thank you, Keen Software House team. Keep up the great work! The game keeps getting better and better with each update. Sure some things break when others get fixed, but, unfortunately, that's the nature of software. Don't let these Salty Sams discourage you. I'll bet at least half of them are just kids looking for something to complain about anyway...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. mojomann71 Junior Engineer

@ViperZeroOne I was not being salty. I do like the game. I do think it is nice they pushed an update during the holidays.
    I was just stating facts. Facts are there are still issues that have been around for years that they have been working on. Another fact is that some people will give up and go to other games, which there is currently one that is years younger and already stronger.
    So if you take that as salty so be it.
    I take it as me saying to Keen let's turn this into something even better.

Just because a post doesn't kiss ass or say let there be rainbows and unicorns for everyone, does not make it a salty post. ;)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

hunger thirst not part of SE game design, just use mods, there are 2 good mods out there, by the same creator, a simple and a complex version, SE is about Engineering not about growing food, which ME seems to be now more about growing food to appease the greedy medieval engineer :D

batteries fixed, about time, this has been ruining the more challenging survival games for a very long time, getting free cheaty power from other blocks when their power state drops etc...
    yeah batteries were getting worse then put back to previous, but not that often.

if you are lagging in SP, something wrong with your PC, is the 'savegame' actually set to offline mode?

7. mojomann71 Junior Engineer

Careful @NikolasMarch , you didnt mention rainbows or unicorns, people may think you are salty!! :woot:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Nomad For Life Trainee Engineer

I just got the game yesterday and already an update. That is nice!
    Hoping to enjoy this type of thing on a regular basis.
    Also the forums seem to be laid out nicely where I can find the answers to my many questions easy enough.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Echillion Senior Engineer

Merry Spacemas to one and all :D

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ian McPhail Trainee Engineer

The improvements are great and all, but id love it if it did not take close to an hour to load into a single player world.

11. DopePope Trainee Engineer

wish keen would take most valuable mods on workshop and add them to the vanilla game .. these updates 6 fixes one week now 4 fixes this week ... keen running into a wall every update ... SE needs more content vanilla is not exciting enough random encounters are never on planets ... looks to me keen has ditched this game to make space engineers 2 .. if that's the case i'm not buying anymore keen games... not as many reporting bugs anymore because every second update keen breaks what they just fixed last update "one big circle"
    SpaceEngineers has got there thunder taken away by a younger game .. i know what game planetnomads .. and this one Empyrion - Galactic Survival

looks like keen is looking for programmers http://www.keenswh.com/jobs.html
    4 years and dont have programmers is why this game fails

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  12. MartinX3 Trainee Engineer

Thank you for the update.

But sadly it created a new bug with the batteries.
    I installed this patch on my server and saw, that the batteries doesn't load anymore.
    The checkbox "half automated" got disabled.
    I reactivated this checkbox on my 4 batteries in my base and the server crashed.
    So the batteries aren't usable anymore with the new update. :(

PS:
    Thank you for making an update in your well deserved vacation!

13. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

I had been working on a project for several weeks with a wheeled vehicle with no need to land or take off from a planet for quite some time, until yesterday. Imagine my surprise when I landed a ship and then couldn't take off even though I had three times the required thrust. I could go sideways, forwards and back, but not UP. It's the old ship-eating bug except now instead of outright destroying my ships if I so much as brush one, the planet acts like a spider web. Ironic since the ship in question is shaped like a dragonfly.

Problem is I don't know if this started with 1.185.4 or 1.185.5 since I wasn't doing anything with ships for a while. This post from carbonCore is the first evidence I've seen of someone else having the same problem (I haven't looked at any of the other forums, though).

This sharp increase of very salty posts from apparently new posters reminds me of the year leading up to the release of Emprion or whatever it's called. So many posts from the same few people (NOT the same people making the salty posts in this thread) suggesting that Space Engineers was doomed unless they picked up the pace made me think those people were in the employ of the other developer. In any case, that other game was released and SE is still here and still better.

It is true that there are other games currently in development that have the potential to draw attention away from Space Engineers. I would even go as far as to say that ANY game in development has the potential to draw attention away from Space Engineers. If I said "gamers are fickle" it would be like saying "the sun is hot". Loyalty is not in the average gamer's vocabulary. The only thing that gives any game longevity is quality, as in all the things that are supposed to happen in the game do so predictably. When you walk through a door you don't suddenly find yourself part of the door. The "thing" you have to do to make something happen always works if you do it right. Games that run well are the one's that last, and that's why SE is not considered a finished game yet. The easy approach at this point would be to apply "band-aid" solutions that appear to work and call the game "finished" and charge full price hoping no one will notice. It's either that or actually fix the problems. One can be done in a couple weeks and the other may take a couple years. Video game development is not the kind of race where the first one to put a product on store shelves "wins". People will buy those other games if they come out first, and then drop them like a rock if SE turns out better.

Also, there are two games I'm looking at, Star Citizen and Hellion, that are offering a lot of things I wish SE had. I suspect I will eventually own both of them, but I will still play SE because it offers things neither of the others do. For me in particular, the challenge of working with existing technology and not relying on made-up pseudo science for "gameplay purposes" makes SE compelling. Before you say it, I am on what may be a one-person campaign to have gravity generators and jump drives removed from the standard game. Those things won't exist in 2077, if ever. I concede that the game kinda sorta "needs" them because the game can't mimic centrifugal force and planets are far apart, but I think there are better solutions than made up inexplicable sciencey doodads. I am heartened by Keen's pledge to limit the improbable to those two devices. On the other hand, since modding is "allowed" I can play SE my way, you can play SE your way, and neither of us has to like or even care how the other plays, so if you want to play SE as if it's 3077 instead of 2077 you can just go ahead and do that and I can't call it "wrong". Gotta admit that's kinda cool.

Yes, if some other game comes out first many, many SE players will flock to it. Gamers like "new". But what gamers like the most is "it works" and "it doesn't crash" and "I'm having fun". A lot of "new" games don't meet the other criteria. SE's problem is that it started as a single-player game (and in my opinion it never had any real future as such) and at some point getting multi-player to work reliably could become more trouble than it's worth. However, as long as Keen thinks they can pull it off, I'm with them. Frustrating issues aside, I'm still having fun.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Hester74 Trainee Engineer

I have the same problem with pistons blowing up. I believe it has to do with loading a new section of space. I posted a bug report. (Link Below)
    https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/1...new-section-of-space.7399120/#post-1287082135

Hester74

• Like Like x 1
  15. Buzzed Bear Apprentice Engineer

WOW!!!!! Look at that! Another NON UPDATE update.
    This is called an update?

Maybe spend more time on the software that PEOPLE ARE PAYING FOR - not some pie in the sky bullshit fantasy about an AI that works like a brain... Or maybe the AI has been put in charge of "updates"?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. Cetric Junior Engineer

I also had impression that looks like a coordinated strike, such a number of people with fresh profiles doing rant for starters. However, sales went up recently and so we have to prepare for a related impact of newbies with few hours in-game who are lacking the deeper interest you and me and some others here have developed in years with the game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

Hey ....
    i musst say - the battery bug "fix" (if it realy work, and this "mostly" permanent... ) is an long awaiting bug-fix for survival play .... so this alone is nice ...
    Nice statement from Stardriver907 ...
    I can say ...
    I and an part of the actual SE group from me startet with Empyrion (not SE) on block build games .... (dislike minecraft for various reasons ..)
    We love empyrion back on the days where SE have only asteroid fighting .. nothing i and my friends have interest - we like real survival ...
    Sure - even Emp was at this time not the "dream" - but have planets .... even small .... ;)
    But then come Planets in SE ... and what should i say - THIS was the size we looking for .... musst not bigger ...
    Was couple of problems in this times .. grids shaking on planets ... invisible holes on planets ... but overall it was a nice time with STABLE sim speed, even with 8 man on server ..
    Then it comes the "major" updates ....
    Netcode rewrote to run server sinde .. IMHO the biggest mistake - after this time, simsped was NEVER so god as before -- no problem IF it have fixed the bugs ... but all still here - and more ..
    Then the multithreaded grid loading if it come in range - musst be, if i look at the lags/freeze nowdays and before the "multithreaded loading", maked from part time coders ...
    And now the next "big thing" - the physic renew - or simply, remove the "lock" ability and make connection on rotors/pistons nearly imortal - with all the problems so "unlimited" power constructs have in the past ..... nice ...
    We have now "again" an big break on gaming .. as wheels work more bad - not that i have expected he would work better after the physics update, keen say no word over wheels, but have think he work equal to before, and not much more bad .................. and an very essential mod for the server is not more running on DS (Drag Mod) and so we play other games ...
    Sure - every weekle update I look at the actual state again - but i realy dont think we have an big "forgiven" count anymore ... if it not work in the near future ...........
    (btw. Emp have loost his goog gameplay too - here the coders much more talentet, way less bugs - extreme .. but the game designers make one bad decision after another - one good idea follow 3 bad ideas, halfway ready and bad implemented ........ sad .. the one thing i "like" on keen -follow his own path and not hear much on the community- is on Emp not here, the game direction and game machanic change like an flag in the wind ... follow the most "loud" group on the forum ..)

Regards

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. carbonCore Trainee Engineer

I was looking through bug reports and posts on these update threads, and nobody else seemed to be having the same issue. Good to hear it isn't just me. Maybe consider adding your save to Hester's bug report thread? I hope Keen fixes this before the whole multiplayer thing.

I agree completely. These issues aside, the physics update was phenomenal for making the game run well. Plenty of ships that would either explode or outright crash the game now work for me, which makes me a happyCore.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Nomad For Life Trainee Engineer

I am new and I find it offensive that someone above thinks that a new players opinion does not matter that much.
    Really? Elitist much?
    Like I said I am very new to the game, so far it does seem good.
    I had not realized that the game has been "early access" pushing 5 years.
    I am no developer, but I am an avid gamer, so 5 years at "early access" seems a bit extreme to me. Not a complaint, just an observation, so I don't want to ruffle any "fan boys" feathers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Thanks to all the devs for this update and the whole year.
    I think the game is in a class by itself and many people don't realize how much work it costs to create all this, and sending you lemons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. mojomann71 Junior Engineer

It should not take an hour to load into the game, unless maybe if you had tons of mods loaded, even then I am not sure if it would take an hour.

22. atcrulesyou Trainee Engineer

I don't think he was trying to be "elitist" or bashing on new players. New players who come to the forums to shitpost are a different story. My advice for a new person to this game would be to go through every update log. Watch all of the Xocliw update videos in the order they were released. Do some due diligence to find out where this game has been, and where it's going. See the myriad problems they've fixed, and the "few" that have been created in the meantime. See that they are still working on those problems. As stated elsewhere, there are other studios that would've slapped a bandaid and 1.0 sticker on this thing and released it to get on to the next project.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Doesn't help calling us "fan boys", although some of us wear that moniker quite proudly.

I don't understand why so many people see more than three years of development without an actual release as some sort of failing, especially considering they started from scratch and they made their own game engine. They're not making a cell phone app here. This is the "real deal" employing untested and unproven technology. They're not doing what everyone else has done and it's just not reasonable to expect the process to be the same as everyone else's. In addition, they have Miner Wars in their history with no desire to repeat the results. Most other games take shortcuts or make considerable compromises to achieve what actually happens in SE. That's the "different" thing people sense when they say SE is like some other games, but different. It's just not a good idea to come into Keen's Change Log forum and try to make them feel bad about "taking too long." I suspect any conversation at Keen about the speed of production usually ends up with a cautionary memo to slow down in order to avoid mistakes slipping by unnoticed. With video game production you either get fast or you get good but rarely both. Some of us want fast, most of us want good.

Trust me, it can. Doesn't mean "tons" of mods, just the right ones.

I have a "core group" of about 200 mods that get loaded into every new world I start, then it goes up from there. There was a time when the core group was about 100 mods and those worlds generally took 45 minutes to load. My current worlds take about 12 minutes to load even though there are twice as many mods. What goes on between after the game downloads the mods and when it actually starts is a complete mystery. All you can do is sit and wonder while those little wheels spin. I'm pretty sure, though, that it's not necessarily the sheer number of mods loading.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Nomad For Life Trainee Engineer

@Stardriver907 , please do not twist my words. That is why I used the term "Fan Boys", because they feel the need to read into something that does not set well with them. My post never put the developers down. Read my post word for word, and take it as it reads. I even emphasized so far it seems good and Not a complaint, just an observation, but you felt the need to "speak for me" or add some type of hidden meaning. No where in my post did I say this was simple as a cell phone app or anything you went on about. If you wonder why things get salty on the forums, well it is because of reasons like this and people reading what they want to read. Sometimes you have to take a post at it's face value.

25. briank Trainee Engineer

if it was that easy someone would have done that years ago. its not that simple.
    also the game is the sort that kind of needs its own dedicated engine, and building a brand new engine for a complicated phisics based game like this is very, VERY hard for a, for all intents and purposes, pretty much just a slightly bigger indie dev.

26. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

First of all I would like to welcome you here. It's always nice to see a new face and hear a fresh point of view. You don't know me so I can understand, somewhat, your response to my opinion. Let me just say that I believe in the discussion forum method of exchanging ideas and I think it works particularly well here because the community is generally more interested in discussing than arguing, which is rare for video game forums. Thing about posting in a great forum, though, is that you should expect a response to your posts when you make them, and you should be prepared to explain why your original point is still valid.

My job, before I retired, involved a lot of negotiating. I received a lot of training, and then I had twenty years of real-world experience. What I have learned during all that time is if you are having a discussion that involves name-calling, you cease having a discussion. No matter how great your point is, you blow any chance of prevailing when you de-humanize your "opponent" by giving them a derisive label. My response to you had nothing to do with your opinion of Keen Software House. You used the terms "elitist" and "fan boys" to describe many of the people that frequent this forum. People that frequent this forum know that I tend to respond to such posts. My direct response to you was that you consider refraining from calling those of us that hold Space Engineers in high regard as "fan boys". It's just rude.

The remainder of my response was directed towards the general tone of dismay, from you and others, regarding Keen's apparent lack of progress. You said 5 years of "early access" seemed a bit "extreme". Not arguing with that. Just offering an explanation. Many of us here have been having this "discussion" since the game became available. There were people that thought this game was "ready" back in 2013. I was one of them. I have since come to learn that not only is the game not ready now, it probably won't be "ready" for... quite some time. Point being that Keen has been under attack for not "finishing the game" since the day it was released. Then someone, somewhere created this three-year benchmark for Triple A game development and they would have us believe that anything beyond that means the developers are incompetent and very likely up to no good. I devoted a paragraph to those folks because it needed to be said. The first sentence of the response was for you. Unfortunately there is no practical way to separate the two.

I bear you no ill will and I encourage you to continue to express your opinions as you see fit. We all don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of things regarding this game and its development. Healthy debate here in these forums has definitely improved the overall product, and it's the biggest reason the game isn't finished yet. They're listening. They don't talk much, but they're listening. All that name-calling stuff is noise. They filter it out, along with your message.

Anyone else reading this, I'm talking to you, too. Not trying to be your Dad or anything. Just sayin.

27. invisiblealex Trainee Engineer

Guys, developeres! The previous patch broke one of the ability of rotors. If you use advanced rotor such of part of transportation system (ship what can constract something with welders) you will not get any of components in welder. You cannot use welder at all! Please fix it. Before the patch it worked(((((

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Nomad For Life Trainee Engineer

@Stardriver907 , there you go again proving my point further. You took four paragraphs trying to turn what I said into something you read into. Again my original point was all in support. From my brief time on the forums reading before I posted anything, I could tell there were many, what are called "fan boys" so me putting that was not an insult. Then throwing in real world experience...like that has anything to do with what my original point of again being in support of a game. If you are going to read anything into my original post then this should what you should come away with: a way of asking not to be bashed for being a "noob", and that I am really liking the game.

Me saying that I had no idea was "early access" for 5 years is really no different than someone saying "Wow I didn't know coal took hundreds of years to make a diamond." That doesn't mean I am bashing coal and think it should produce one sooner.

Now you can read into this post if you like, but I will save you the trouble. The meaning of this post is I am sorry I ever posted anything to begin with, and you are the reason for it.
    Have a great one. Thanks for running someone off the forums.

Keep up the great work Keen!

• Informative Informative x 1
  29. mojomann71 Junior Engineer

You should put this in the bug reports section. It could possibly be overlooked here. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Cetric Junior Engineer

With 110 or so, it doesn't, here.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.