Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.185.8 - Beta Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Thrak Apprentice Engineer

Anyone else notice that production blocks, especially refineries, seem extra loud now? Or is it just me?

2. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

They've always been stupidly loud- it would be nice if there was a volume slider for individual blocks in the K menu, or they were just generally not so loud without having to fart around with game audio settings constantly...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Saberwulfy Apprentice Engineer

Totally agree, i use very much rotors in my creations and it's louder than my RL car engine.
    Now i know in 2077 all engineers use fridges for measure time, aka: Timer Block.
    Are in 2077 all engineers deaf? Look mommy, its my new robot chihuahua, *WHIRR* -systems ONLINE- *CREAK* *CA-CHUNK* *CREAK* *CA-CHUNK* *CREAK* *CA-CHUNK* -ar roof-

4. jemccro Trainee Engineer

I agree that they are loud, but doesn't that make them more realistic since they are processing ore in the case of the refineries? Sometimes I lower my visor to mute the sound somewhat even when on the Earth-like planet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

There is only so much 'realism' we need in a game- being deafened when walking near a refinery is one bit of realism I'm sure most people will be willing to sacrifice...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Pretty sure that's not what i meant. Speed limit and speed acceleration are 2 separate things.
    Was talking acceleration only.

7. Dan2D3D Moderator

Hi Guys!

I'm receiving alerts here and after reading I've noticed that some are not respecting the forum rule #8

''
    Respect each others opinion. Don’t try and force your own opinion onto someone or deride what other members believe about the game.​
    ''

I will delete those posts, respect please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. iEatPixels Trainee Engineer

Is it only me... or do we all miss the videos when a new update came out? :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ValynHernalth Trainee Engineer

Sorry for the delayed reply, did not get any kind of email notification for this....

There is not much to it:
    1.) 4 wheels 3x3 a center heavy armor frame that is 2T x1W cockpit, Med Cargo, small reactor, antenna
    2.) Station both lager and small 13T x 1 wide, one rotor, a 1T x 3W, and 1 solar panel. (I have also tried with two rotors for easy sun tracking.)
    3.) This also happens with pistons as well but not as bad.

Overall, any use of a rotor or Wheel will case the object to shutter. I have only been on planet so i do not know how this will affect a ship in space, but if the autonomos shaking and gradual shambling, of the 4x4 transport is any indication it would cause my ships to fly away on their own or explode on rare occasion.

10. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

They only do videos for Major updates- seems like they have slowed right down with the scale of updates and the number of fixes they 'fix' with each update; it used to be that every update was almost equal to a Major release, now it's 3-4 bugs or issues that get fixed ( that 99% of players never encountered anyway, while 4+ year old issues and bugs are still ignored ).

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. macgeifer Apprentice Engineer

As i stated before the acceleration equals 9,81m/s². Objects will behave "normal" until they reach maximum speed. Anything else is a kind of perspective and feeling.

12. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

Yes, but no; I know exactly what he is saying- regardless of what the game/real world physics says about how fast objects should accelerate when they are dropped or cut free, they never actually move that fast. Case in point- a large block is 2.5m so 4 blocks is 10m; I challenge anyone to drop various size objects and record them move from the first block to the last in 1 second- you won't see it happen. Something about the game causes things to accelerate far slower than that initially- could be sim speed or physics related, but none the less, thing simply never fall that quickly- it take much longer for them to accelerate.

Likewise, the rpms that a motor is set to never matches the actual speed it rotates at, even with no mass/load on the rotor head- SpaceDerpineers has it's own very special 'laws of physics'...

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

For me it's just like in real world. I tested it using stopwatch and it was correct. Maybe you have simspeed bellow 1.0?
    Keep in mind that objects in se are huge and there is illusion of slow motion even if objects are moving fast. Like in real world you see really large objects like cruiser ship sailing and you may think that it moves slow but in reality it moves faster than cars in city.
    If you drop small objects in se like components or maybe small grid armor there will be illusion that it fall faster than large grid object in the same conditions.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

Video or it didn't happen :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  15. Herpaderpa Trainee Engineer

why cant this game be real life?

16. Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

... it's just a fantasy ...

17. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Thanks suicideneil, for your backup.
    But testing this "issue" out a second time makes me to conclude that macgeifer and Oskar1101 where on the right side.
    Falling a hundred meters takes me much as much time as it should.

I was fooled by my senses of flesh and blood :baby:

• Like Like x 1
  18. roaminmatt Trainee Engineer

Hello. First time poster. Love the game and these updates. had to make an account to report a performance hit i had to. im just going to quote it.
    keep up the great work!!

"Performance issues like the conveyor system checking every port of every block ?

More conveyor block options like; 3-way: airtight straight, corner, 3-way ... The 6-way is getting over used due to lack of options which that in it's self is hitting on performance."

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. darth_crunchus Apprentice Engineer

Uh, forum admins, I got a notification saying that my post was in violation of forum rule #8...I don't even remember having commented on this update post until now. Please refresh my memory, or let me know what "I" said that warranted a post removal?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

I believe you made a reply to Meteo on page 1- a 'not very nice' reply that was quite insulting and rude, so some kind individual may have decided to report your rude comment, hence it being deleted and you receiving a notification from the mods.

I guess that's what happened anyway... ;)
    --- Automerge ---
    Strange, maybe it is simspeed related, or I'm also just tripping balls again...

21. darth_crunchus Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for the explanation, though I honestly still don't remember that. Judging by the fact that I disagreed with the comment, I may have said something to the effect of them having just been looking for something to gripe about, but I'm not entirely sure. That's actually kind of scary...not knowing what I said, I mean.

22. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Since every PC is unique, not all bugs are encountered by all players. Bugs are not fixed in order of demand, as all bugs are equal. When they figure out how to fix a bug without consistently breaking something else, they release the fix. There are a number of fixes for long-term problems that don't consistently work well, or they may cause problems for future development. Having already tried the "well just band-aid it and we'll really fix it later" route, it appears at least to me that they have moved on to the "let's release actual fixes" approach. There is no evidence that the lack of a fix means the problem is being ignored. That argument only works if you ignore everything else being done.

Physics is very hard to model. Way too many factors involved. They use networked super computers to predict the weather, and they still can't get it right. The calculations needed to make Space Engineers entirely realistic would vaporize the average i5/i7 CPU in any mad sick gaming machine. Instead, we get physics engines like Havok that approximate at a level your desktop can handle. Havok is not the only physics engine out there, but it's among the best and was chosen for the game Keen was making at the time. The game has since evolved into something different and Havok might not be the best choice now, but you essentially have to dance with the girl what brung you.

In any event, I have yet to experience any video game that gets it perfect unless the game limits you to actions that won't test the limits of the physics engine in use. The fact that SE lets you go right up to the limits is the reason all the warts are showing. I imagine the average SE player would rather put up with the warts than have their actions limited.

Very special laws, indeed ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

Bugs in the game code are bugs in the game code- we aren't talking about incompatibility with hardware or software- we are talking about bad coding or erroneous code creating derpy results; I shouldn't need to mention Spiders, wolves, lighting & turrets, should I?

LOL. See: above response- things that never worked properly since day 1, or things that did work fine but have been broken by updates or changes and not corrected- or made worse.

LOL. I think a more accurate statement would be along the lines of "when they release a fix without doing even the slightest bit of testing, then act surprised at the thousand bug reports about all the things the last 'fix' broke'".

Maybe- more likely that the team actively working on SE is so small right now for some reason that it appears they are focusing on better fixes, but in reality they are cherry-picking smaller issues as they don't have the man-power for broader fixes; compare the number of fixes and changes from 12 months ago, to the last few months.

That argument works perfectly, actually; I need only once again mention turrets, lighting, wolves and spiders. Seeing as all these things worked fine more or less, it shouldn't be too hard to track down when they were broken, and the steps needed to fix them. As it is, we get told that things that were broken ( wolves and spiders ) are suddenly 'experimental', and we should turn them off until they get around to fixing them, instead of making the fix a priority as it's the only thing that makes survival on planets worth playing essentially. Heck, modded AI/PVE additions work fine but the vanilla equivalent is broken for months and months- tell me more about how it isn't being ignored. As for everything else being done- like what? A bunch of random minor issues and two moderate issues ( text box cursor issue & the alt-tab issues ), while more urgent things are indeed ignored.

just because we put up with it, doesn't mean we are happy to; the level of frustration demonstrated by so many can only be sustained for so long before there no players left; we've lost so many modders and content creators due to things constantly braking or being changed with no warning or acknowledgement ( thrusters anyone? )- the level of contempt displayed by the developers might have something to do with that...

24. gordon861 Apprentice Engineer

Look no further than Farrel's Update Videos :

25. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

Farrel is fantastic, love his updates as breaks during W4sted's streams.

26. Dokole Epta Trainee Engineer

Even in multiplayer?
    Sad problem.
    If the game had no problems with simspeed, it would be out of competition.

27. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Go away troll.
    Yeah, i can already tell :)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.