Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Important Update 1.185 - Major Physics Overhaul

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kurazarrh Apprentice Engineer

I am disgusted.

... Disgusted at how excited I am for this update!

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. Eikester Apprentice Engineer

so in reality it is just a general bugfixing update as expected, nothing new added to the game to make it worth the hype

• Disagree Disagree x 18
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Cetric Junior Engineer

I welcome this in particular. Why not let the big antennas reach into the thousands-range? Simulate deep space distances by delays in signal transfers, in relation to the distance. So laser antenna would be for short distance and immediate communication and radio signals for big distance and delayed communication.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Carrion Senior Engineer

Ahem. my clangless creations now have more clang than even i know what to do with them. granted i have worked out the issue but it took a while .

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Maybe my script can be of help @ http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=601403341
    It will generate the positions at which to place your in-between-satellites (no matter what distance or satellite-range)

6. Timotei~ Apprentice Engineer

But It's not just a general bugfix. It's the public execution of our almighty lord Clang! The removal of a huge constraint on the development of this game. This open a lot of opportunities for new physic based features like hinges, new types of rotors, maybe even rails and whatnot.:D I'm excited!

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Even Tony Stark himself is in utter awe.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
  8. kingkrieg Apprentice Engineer

Just now after some time playing i can confirm my one major gripe is gone:

No more ship-eating planets!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. TidusKlein Apprentice Engineer

Hmm if i remember right you guys said that this could not be done, and that this was a limitation of the havok engine that will never be fixed.....so ya know if this can be “fixed” why can’t we have are compound blocks? :p

If we have the technology to slay CLANG! Then what is to stop us from having all the things?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ondřej Nahálka QA Lead Staff

Hey,

as we removed the safety-lock from the game, before-locked piston chains might behave little worse now. Use the new "Shared tensor" option for piston to "compensate" for removed safety-lock. You can leave it enable even if you extend or retract them as opposed to safety-lock.

For more info about the new "Shared tensor" thing, please take a look on Marek's blog post here, section "Shared inertia tensor": http://blog.marekrosa.org/2017/11/physics.html

If you have any blueprint that worked fine before and does not work now, just send it to us: ondrej.nahalka@keenswh.com

Thank you!

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. neo2510 Trainee Engineer

i stopped using rotors and pistons in most my builds long time ago, the only ones that were working were the ones where i could use the safety lock feature, thank you for removing it, not only i didn't notice any improvement (just tested my builds) but now also you rendered unusable the ones that had a piston on it... everything keeps rotating in the air even when the pistons are using the minimum force or when they are not even turned on.

I know u put a lot of effort on your updates and we thank you for that, but i really don't share the opinion of the person in charge to decide the content that's gonna be added, marek or whoever decided to hype this update didn't do a good work at all...

EDIT: Ok, i just tested whate Ondrel Nahalka said and he is right, thank you for the info, i didn't notice that check box and it indeed fixed my main ship, but i still have builds that didn't get fixed, they use 2 different modded pistons and they do have the tensor option wich i checked, but still they spin like crazy in planet gravity, didn't test in space coz they are wheeled vehicles.

Anyways my complain is still there, this is a major bugfix, but not a huge update and it doesn't add anything new, this game desperately needs new mechanics.

I want to state again that i thank you Keen for your work, but you should listen the community, the feedback website has great ideas that are voted by a lot of people, and so far u didn't add a single one.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Lé Grand Sárrazin Apprentice Engineer

Fyi, I crashed when I logged off to main menu, didn't get a crash log though, just this generic stuff:

Code:
    Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
      Application Name:	SpaceEngineers.exe
      Application Version:	1.0.0.0
      Application Timestamp:	5a0ef083
      Fault Module Name:	KERNELBASE.dll
      Fault Module Version:	6.1.7601.23915
      Fault Module Timestamp:	59b94f2a
      Exception Code:	c0020001
      Exception Offset:	000000000001a06d
      OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
      Locale ID:	1033
      Additional Information 1:	30f6
      Additional Information 2:	30f6789077fe9ac36219c400623d5f7a
      Additional Information 3:	5a30
      Additional Information 4:	5a306ae210f7afbb8e41dcc67c2d2720
    PS, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere here that safety-lock had been removed.. hmm.. interesting..
    Hope it hasn't broken anything..

13. UbioZur Trainee Engineer

Yes! :)

Thanks for the update!

14. Carrion Senior Engineer

thanks for that. a big part of the wibbly wobbly stick of death there was actually down to the dampening thrusters that were used to overcome drill shake. not exactly sure how it causes such an extreme reaction. i will do some more testing over the weekend to see if its an across the board issue and send you the plans for the things that are not behaving.

also with the new F1 menu the update speed is so great (or i am abusing the game so much) that i cant keep track of all of the actual issues it is calling up let alone localise them to determine exactly what is the issue (i am guessing that it is down to the tight fitting moving parts i like so much

15. gevarre Trainee Engineer

Yay! Even more polish to make it shine extra bright, but STILL UNPLAYABLE MULTIPLAYER because they can't seem to understand that this is an mmo and needs to be treated as such with dedicated servers and zones to break down the data transfers instead of expecting one guy's little home server to send all the info from everywhere to everyone all the time.

Why doesn't Keen maintain a server just to show it can be done? Well, because it can't...

But yeah, any update is a good update.

• Disagree Disagree x 13
  16. [FMP]Kaname Trainee Engineer

Okay Keen, well done on the large bugfix and overhaul. Now I wait uncomplaining until my 30 mods are updated to fit the new API. Then I'll check if my airplane still keeps sinking through the base grid if I grind anything near the plane. If you got rid of this, I would be quite pleased.

It is nice to see things progressing. Yet half of those mods I use is just to make sure I have a decent Single Player experience (It's the modular encounters collection) so on the long run, it would be nice if we get any information about things teased half a year ago. Are wind generators and H² engines still a thing or did they got dropped? There are still a lot of people who love the game for the survival part. The mining, the designing. The loss if you misjudge that breaking thrust. So Keen, please don't forget about us Survival players and far more important: Do not abandon your content creators. Removing the access to the developers menu made it way more harder for creators like w4stedspace or Captain_Shack to show their creations in the right spot, make more high quality content or even continue on things like Group Survival.
    And to be honest, you at Keen do owe them quite a thing with all the things they did in and for Space Engineers.

To finish it, thanks for the hard work on that update.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Buzzed Bear Apprentice Engineer

Ok... so, when do people who are not actual engineers get to see a layman's explanation of the changes and how to apply them. The shared tensor is cool... what's that other clickable option... safety release or detach... set in m...
    Also have a warning about my grid having too many blocks... and all my pistons seem to have issues... have no idea what any of this new stuff means or does. Maybe time to work on a more detailed manual - checked out the wiki pages for SE... very not up to date. This game is getting more and more complicated to do simple things.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Cassius Faux Apprentice Engineer

Okay so this has massive potential. Now to test my things, spontaneous explosions? Clangtastic flight? Lets find out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Lé Grand Sárrazin Apprentice Engineer

Honestly I'm not a fan of the safety lock being removed ENTIRELY!! AT the very least the safety lock override toggle option should have been left in if possible.
    It was very very useful to make a joint you knew wasn't going to spin on you, because rotor braking force is joke.. override guaranteed it!!
    I think just removing it wholecloth was a mistake imo.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Helaton Apprentice Engineer

If this is all working correctly as the patch notes says, this is probably the biggest update since planets!

21. Lé Grand Sárrazin Apprentice Engineer

Also, same issue as Buzzed Bear.. I get a constant warning about too many blocks in the world causing lag... I have 1 single ship in an empty world that has 70,000 blocks..
    Is 70,000 blocks really too many to have on one ship?? Cause I'm only at 1/4 of the shape limit, so I didn't think it was THAT bad!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. SunGod Trainee Engineer

This update is giving me a huge clue.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  23. kingkrieg Apprentice Engineer

Your problem lies with the modded pistons, they havent updated the block to fit the new API

they gave weeks of warning of the changes, you should tell the mod maker(s) to change the API to fix your ship.

70k is freaking massive

also, you can disable these warnings, via shift+f1

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Lynnux Junior Engineer

Top ! Finally the key elements of SE will be improved to working state. Yesterday I had a wing of a swing wing plane breaking because of the "maximum speed limitations". Let's see what's happening now.

And I don't care if it's called major update or bugfix since this is very essential ! Beta finally arrived ?

• Like Like x 1
  25. Nacon Junior Engineer

Wow... nicely done!

26. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

U-huh... Sooo.... about that Safety Lock removal...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. jandraelune Apprentice Engineer

I got something with Rotor that needs a ' Safety Lock ' replacement. More then just setting minimum/maximum rotation angle to Zero which could still cause Clang. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1203489805

But at least now it's an option instead of not an option as before, improvement.

----------

On a different note, Gyroscopes behave differently when a Rotor is in the mix. Max speed is higher, acceleration is slower, and there is a drift. EDIT: Ok ' Shared Tensor ' fix's this behavior...even though there is just a single Rotor. Guess that need's to be a default ' On ' feature.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  28. Nacon Junior Engineer

Oh... my god. Not only the physic performance was smooth... the long stick of pistons actually broke like a spaghetti in two pieces. Don't you know what that is? A true mathematics phenomenon!

This is no joke! A seriously fantastic physic system!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  29. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

Lord Klang is dead! Long live Lord Klang!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  30. Killaim Trainee Engineer

Clang is dead.... ... oor?..

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.