Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.185 - Major Physics Overhaul

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Darian Stephens Trainee Engineer

This is a great update, but I think you guys sorta broke the hangar door sound fix. It's still not as ear-splitting as it used to be, but it's gotten much louder again. If you could possibly make large amounts of hangar doors keep from all playing the moving sound when opening/closing as well, that would be nice.
    Speaking of sound, do you think you could exempt wheels from being affected by 'Speed-Based Ship Sounds'? It's weird when you only hear the tires moving along the ground if you're actively running them; makes cars eerily quiet when coasting.
    However, it also makes sense to hear the rev as you're actively driving it. I dunno, maybe both could go at once, or active could take priority over speed if it's going? Yeah, I don't even think you'd need to fade from one to the other, since the revving down and up of the wheels gives that effect anyway. Neat!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Vereena Trainee Engineer

Hi,
    min/max restrictions are what sets the boundaries for the rotor movement (so the arm does not crash into the canopy), this is fine.
    What I need is the ability to stop at a moment's notice at a random angle.
    One of my trucks have a small crane I use to lift probes (those falling from the sky with cow suits in them), put them on a flatbed and dissect it on the truck far away from the wolves.
    This means I have to rotate the arm at different, random angle each time, setting min/max angles does not cut it.
    But switching rotor off when braking torque is high does! Tested it yesterday.
    Did I mention yet, that I cannot lock the landing gear without my rotors going bonkers?
    No matter how high the braking torque is, I tried all possible combinations. Lock the landing gear, rotors go bonkers, unlock the landing gear, grid explodes.
    And yes, explosions are looking better now -.-

3. Regn Trainee Engineer

Here I am ripping my hear out over .NET Core Identity and you're fixing sim speed, rotors, pistons, and the API. Bravo.

Just, bravo.

[​IMG]

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

One of the changes I find strange is the introduction of a slider bar for range on Ore Detectors and even more perplexing is the default range is 1m. I cannot think of any circumstance where you would want to lower the range of the detector from its maximum (which does not appear to have changed) so why introduce it in the first place and why have it default to 1m instead of the maximum?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  5. Sarekh Senior Engineer

has it only been introduced recently? I could have sworn that there has been a range slider on ore detection before.

But ore detection is sim-speed heavy, I always turn them off if I do not actively look for ore - so the 1m default could be fore sim-speed reasons, not everyone running around witg 12 active sensors on max range because they don't bother to check the settings... also, I guess, energy consumption rate?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Ore detection sim-speed heavy?? That doesn't seem right

7. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Think about it, a scan that updates in real time and covers all voxel material in a relatively large sphere - it at least used to be quite heavy on the machine - I do not recall that they changed something about that. The larger the sphere gets the more sim speed it sucked up - there was a large-scale ore detector mod in the Azimuth pack, about 1.5 km range I think - it brought my game to a crawl each time I used it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Well my computer doesn't show a sign of heavy duty at all when using an ore detector.
    Also, if "detecting" ore is efficiently done, the ore locations would already be set where the ore-detector only has to check when a location enters the volume of detection.
    It's wouldn't be a high demanding algorithm.

9. Thrak Apprentice Engineer

Your mileage may vary. I typically don't get a huge slow-down when using ore detectors, even a modded one, although recently, I've seen hits in performance when the broadcast option in enabled.

10. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Broadcasting would actually only let you see the locations on the HUD (like pressing H-key, but for ore-locations) and activate/deactivate detection sphere.
    That should be the only thing going on.
    I still don't see how that creates a calculationspike, if done that way at all.
    Maybe it's like the same story as with the recent thruster damage algorithm update. That thing was inefficient and clunky.

11. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Ore detection is sim speed heavy (compared to other blocks) because it scans each individual voxel within range however if your sim speed is dropping that much I doubt very much a vanilla ore detector is the cause. Even *if* this were the case it is pointless having the slider set at anything less than the range of the detector on the hand drill and a minimum range of 1m is as much use as tits on Tarzan since you would not be able to get the detector close enough to the ore to detect it without actually being *on* the ore.

12. MisterMagoo Trainee Engineer

Something else that would actually be a very nice addition on top of being able to just outright set a limit with a button press would be the ability to set by how much you want to increase/decrease a value in the G menu.
    For instance, normally when you use the G menu to set up a key to increase/decreas rotor limits, it uses some weird number instead of something like adding 15 degrees with each press (that is, it's difficult to get a rotor to align to 90 degree angles just by using these keys, if not impossible from my experience). On a mining ship I tried to build, it would've been super handy to be able to set this so it changes it by, say, 45 degrees up/down with each press as my design relies on 4 drill arms to be in a set position of 0, 90, 135, 180, 225, etc. before I can retract them, if not be able to set the limit outright as you've suggested..
    For your example, you could set it to add/subtract, say, 1 degree per-movement for the rotors while moving them, and then use perhaps a timer block to set a max/min parameter on all of the rotors to pack up/unpack the crane.

13. KitCat Trainee Engineer

While I appreciate, that it does not explode any more, besides from that, I don't see any improvements on rotors, really. They keep spasming out like crazy, and they're not even ON. If I put on the slightest movement (0.01 rpm) it worsens tenfold. It's practically impossible to work or stand on it, as it will push you away every two seconds or so. We've restarted the server multiple times now, and left it idling for a few minutes to give it a chance to stabilize, but it won't stop. Every time we get near it, it will start again. This is so frustrating, really.

14. Darian Stephens Trainee Engineer

Have you tried using the new 'Share Inertia Tensor' checkbox on your rotors? That stopped all wobble on my solar array.

15. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

I think it's still quite vague how the Share Inertia Tensors work. Are they better all of the time, or just in some cases?

I know the "why and how" was mentioned in the live stream 2 weeks ago but whenever i turn it on, the question rises again about what it's actually doing.

16. KitCat Trainee Engineer

Yes, they're all turned on in the videos. I've tried turning them off as well, but nothing changed.

17. Rahl Trainee Engineer

Any chance to get links on blueprients of invideo welders system ?

• Late Late x 1
  18. Alvaro Trainee Engineer

Pistons, rotors and wheels need to be fixed, its unusable now in most cases on MP.

• Late Late x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.