Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.186.2 - Scripting/Modding API for Wheels, Rotors

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Brian Yilmaz Trainee Engineer

Thank you guys, means much to me - and I think I'm not the only one!

As long as the list of bugs gets shorter we're all happy... there doesn't even need to be a version every week, for me that is, if it helps keeping quality a bit higher. Sometimes it looks as you try to push yourself too much to release a version. I don't care if the version comes a few days or even 1-2 weeks later but is a bit more stable...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

oh is that a thing?
    the other day i placed a gyroscope on a small 4x4 rover and the thing...basically resurrected the clang and gained a massive amount of momentum killing me and sending it flying off somewhere....
    --- Automerge ---
    believe me when i say i couldn't be happier about wheels getting the love they needed for so long.

3. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

I musst (and this is rare ..) admit the developers that he are right to set the ore dedector range to "1" as default .....
    Many "not so smart" users build on an DS ore dedectors and forget it, even 5 min after that he have it build and that he is on and dedecting ores - one of the most cpu intense things the server can doo .... so it is realy not an big deal, if the "more smart" user know this and set the ore dedector at the range he like .............................................

regards

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

I miss that guy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

I found the cause- MexPex Warfare Industries weapons mod pack causes vanilla weapons to lose their movement limits ( you don't need to have any of modded weapons placed, simply having the mod active in the world settings is the cause ). So, another SE update, another fantastic mod that is partially borked / causes borked behaviour; the funny thing here being that the modded weapons DO actually retain their movement limits, they just cause vanilla weapons to lose theirs. Oh sweet irony...

I'll shoot mexpex a message and see if he can fix the issue- hopefully we don't have to stop using one of the few good, functional mods left in this game...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Scya Apprentice Engineer

Yes, and @Phand even more.

7. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

Sure keen make questionable decisions .......
    But have you the "actual" updated mexpex weapon pack "Mexpex Warfare Industries V1.0.1" where is maintained from an unknow modder ... then the problem sit in front of the computer on both (user and modder) side ...
    The mod use an scripts in an simply weapon mod where affect vanilla weapon .... (very clever ..................................... i dont know another weapon mod where "need" an script ...)
    And the User trust all mods from "part time modders" ...... the modders are never the bad ..................... (have seen cockpit mods where change the default character animation, and break it after an SE update, no surprise - where think an cockpit mod doing this ?? -- and other insane mods where change game variables who was not menton in the readme or have nothing to do with the mod nature .......)

regards

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. EvilDylan Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]
    This image is taken from the campaign, as evident from the box telling me to complete the campaign mission.
    As you can see, it uses the "bug" you "fixed" to have a small ship built into the ground to resemble a crash.

Furthermore, as Whip pointed out, this was not a bug, but a deliberate change--and having tested it myself just a few minutes ago, it is no longer possible to even paste ships into the ground.
    I would request that this is reverted. As you can see from your own campaign, there are applications for this, and it was never a bug.

• Agree Agree x 11
  9. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

@EvilDylan
    you can still discuse this with keen (imho without sucess .................) or use the mod where change this .....

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  10. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

That was hard to read, but yes, I am using the 'actual' weapon pack V1.0.1. However, it isn't maintained by an unknown modder, it's maintained by known modders working in a group with the original author; the fact remains that there wasn't a problem with the mod / vanilla weapons until the physics update- it's something Keen changed that caused the mod to break essentially, and it isn't known whether the modders can fix it. It's not the end of the world, but an annoyance none the less. Everything else you tried to say is largely irrelevant and not pertaining to the issue at hand- there is a reason so many people have abandoned the game and their mods, Keen dropped the ball and the discussions being had by prominent members of the community have highlighted as much.

I look forward to Space Engineers 2, with a better physics engine, better multiplayer, better optimisation and less frequent changes to the base code that breaks everything...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. EvilDylan Apprentice Engineer

I have not seen or been able to find a mod that undoes this; would you happen to have a link handy?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Late Late x 1
  12. HarbingerDawn Trainee Engineer

Character tilting bug has been really annoying to deal with in 1.186. I'm disappointed that it hasn't been addressed in any of the patches so far, and I hope it gets fixed soon. Would love to see the welder work the way it used to as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TheAlterans Trainee Engineer

I don't want the entire grid. I want a specific colour along the entire grid changed. Say you have Keen's red ship. It's both red and grey, the red turns black, instead of painting it block by block, why not a key selection that changes all the blocks of only that colour?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Royale98 Trainee Engineer

• Derailing / Offtopic, Inappropriate Language (name calling) and Inappropriate Behavior
    So @marek_rosa @Xocliw @Drui @Akhera @Cendos @flexx @fremen @Inflex @Petr.Minarik @rexxar and anyone else who has a role to play in the development/progression of Space Engineers, thank you for letting us play your game through its development and keep up the good work. I know all of us players as with hopefully yourselves are anxious and excited for the completed game. We hope to hear more good news in the future.

decided to put that up top so nobody has to filter through this
    Why do I make these long posts... oh yeah, I'm bored and have nothing better to do and I like to comment... here goes...

First off, what is character tilting? I haven't experienced any "tilt" issues...
    Okay actually if you're referring to how when you weld beneath your feet your character seems to be standing straight up but is reaching the ground magically: SERIOUSLY?! THATS WHAT YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT?! Find a REAL problem. And whats wrong with the welder now, I can grab a welder and weld at the air if I so please, I and many prefer the new free-welding system. i like it

As for you people:
    Your a special kind of stupid and obviously have no idea how to run a development system.
    As someone who did development work in the past I can tell you first-hand:

Some bug reports are complete trash and unusable. Some people have the worst grammar, or english maybe isn't their first language and so its nearly in-understandable because of poor translation. Unfortunately all you can do to those reports is ask for further clarification until you get what the problem they have is.
    Other bug reports give you lots of unusable information, they may write a 10 page essay on what happened but you don't know what caused anything because you got lost in the flow of unnecessary information or they said so little you can't isolate what the issue is.
    Some bug reports are completely invalid, either they have extremely little to no reproducibility, aren't vanilla gameplay (thus could be caused by mods), or straight up whoever made it is dumb and maybe it's not even a bug, they just did something wrong.
    The best bug report is one with pictures/videos, extended explanations of how to reproduce the bug, it actually has high reproducibility, and it is grammatically, or at least conversationally, concise (basically at no point does the reader say: "wtf does that mean" to anything).

Some bugs themselves are caused by the addition or change of other features, and may have to have the section of whatever's broken completely rewritten to be compatible.
    Some bugs, lets take for an example the boots emissivity bug, are very simple to fix but may be broken often, so it breaks, then they fix it cause it's easy and probably takes VERY little time, and if they didn't... SOMEONES GOING TO HAVE A F***ING COW OVER IT. So they might as well.
    Other bugs are hard to even isolate the root of. Once you know something is broken, you have to find out WHY. Why is it broken? Which may mean running through any relevant/correlated code trying to figure out what specifically is causing said bug to happen.
    Don't forget the most important piece of all, the bug has to be fixed. As stated, for some bugs that's easy; for others, you very well may have to just try different methods entirely of how to make something do "x" without "z" breaking it. So some bugs might stick around for months even if it's a game-breaking issue simply because it takes a long time to isolate and fix, meanwhile you still need to push other fixes, additions, and changes according to your internal time quotas which means you can't sit down and just try to plow through the "bigger bug". Then the fix has to go through testing, and if you only partially fixed it, or your fix made the overall broken system worse than before, then you have to try again, and it's a cycle until it's gotten right or stops being a problem.

Essentially, things get fixed when the community makes proper bug reports that the devs can use to easily isolate broken variables, the devs get time to actually fix said broken variable and the development-testing cycle finishes with success. THEN we get the update. And even then it's not perfect, especially in betas, where problems and bugs should be expected.

(and this goes to anyone complaining after an update)
    Drop your pitiful sense of entitlement and realize that KSH doesn't have to do/give you anything. They can publish one more update and call it the full game. Might be a crap game, but it's their game and their decision. You bought the game KNOWING it was beta (or alpha if you've had it for any real length of time) and that it would have bugs. I've never seen a list or page anywhere that KSH said: the final game will have *list of features* and no bugs. (Tons of games launch "completed" versions with lots of bugs, players are WAY better at finding them than a small dev team is)
    To quote the launch page:
    Space Engineers is a sandbox game about engineering, construction and maintenance of space works. Players build space ships and space stations of various sizes and utilization (civil and military), pilot ships and perform asteroid mining.
    Space Engineers utilizes a realistic volumetric-based physics engine: all objects can be assembled, disassembled, damaged and destroyed.

And that's what it is, and more in fact. Planets? Weren't supposed to be a thing, but... they are. From Marek Rosa's dev blog on the 2016 roadmap: "I never would have imagined two years ago that we’d add planets!"
    From the same post: "Space Engineers is now in the phase where (nearly) all necessary parts have been assembled and we are ready to move to the major polishing and bug-fixing phase. This will probably be the longest and final bug-fixing period before the game is released in its final state."
    This will probably be the longest and final bug-fixing period.
    ~2 years of alpha, only been 14 months into beta and it's supposed to be longer.

SO, if you have a bug, post a bug report. If making a bug report isn't worth your time, then the bug clearly isn't a problem you can't live with for at least a while.
    DON'T go into the update page and make claims that may be false or un-reinforced because you didn't do your research right.
    DONT say: "When is "x" or "y" going to be fixed?!", "Really, still no fix for...?", or "Nice to see *insert whatever you think is unimportant here* is fixed but still not...", or otherwise giving the devs crap for 'not doing their job', 'not caring', or 'not fixing important things' when you probably have no idea what's on their list of priorities or what's actually broken and how it could be fixed.
    "Verbally abusing" the devs will do nothing but make yourself look like a 10 year old whose parents gave him the KitKat instead of the Snickers (even though KitKats are better than Snickers by long shot, just sayin)

on to the rest

Nope... but I have to admit it would be a GODSEND cause I've far too many blueprints that I only plan on using "someday" and ones I need are buried within the mess. Fortunately I don't have to go through my blueprints often...

That's not what they're talking about. What we want is basically like photoshop's paint bucket, you can take all of a section of blocks with "x" specific color and change that whole "selection" to "y" color without changing the entire ship. Not everyone has monochromatic ships (I mean I do, I only JUST decided to start adding custom color details with the new large update cause it actually made colors really colorful, kinda pops now) but just sayin...

Either you're blind or you didn't update: Hit P (or your key for the color menu, I think I changed mine maybe), second section of text from the bottom reads and I quote (parenthesis not in quote): You can copy (the) color of the block you are looking at by pressing SHIFT + P.
    Grammatically it's halfway between english and text-talk but it's there (looking at you with squinted eyes of disappointment KEEN).
    I think hexadecimal would be better than the current color setup, like wtf even is value, real color options would be nice (okay I know what value is but...)
    Stop complaining about welders, they're amazing, there's this nice little part of the HUD that shows you what components are in the block and if you're actually welding or not.
    See my large comment above about your first sentence, I'm sure you can figure out which one pertains to it.

As of at least the update today (2/16/18) this is fixed, turrets only drop down to what seems like ~10 degrees below the horizon. Which is actually really annoying, they should go to like... 45 degrees below at least cause sometimes you need to shoot a little downwards :baby:

If by "visual downgrade" you mean the all-too-well-known-to-be-cancerous post-processing, there's a settings in the options to turn it off, I don't see how that prevents you from making a wheeled craft... it's not unplayably cancerous, unless your rocking a GeForce 260 or something...

"which you probably could place in there by yourself to save us some time..." don't aggravate them anymore -_-
    "it can't be overlooked" are you suggesting other bug posts are overlooked? Cause that's how you piss people the f*** off and ruin KSH's reputation as a game dev.

I'll be honest, I'm too lazy to change settings and go to a planet to test the sounds right now. BUT as far as rock-spewing goes... the drills do create "ghost rocks" that fairly quickly (3-10sec-ish) despawn when using the right click function to drill. Unsure if intentional, though I believe it has been like that, been a LONG time since I've even used a hand drill.

Do you understand what a beta is? Space Engineers is in beta, that means the games core framework is done, it's a playable game. But it is not finished, there is much to add and fix. Since the game isn't even complete and to my knowledge there is no completion date set (I'm sure internally they have a goal) it will be a LONG ASS time for SE2. Maybe next time they won't release the game until it is in fact completely finished, then nobody will be able to enjoy it while they keep working.
    Perhaps what you meant to say was: "Thank you, KSH, for making this game available through it's development".

And with that it's been ~4 hours, pat on the back if you actually read all this.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

16. Dan2D3D Moderator

Hi guys!

Please go read the forum rules before posting, all can share negative or positive feedback > let the Devs deal with this.

#8 =
    Respect each others opinion. Don’t try and force your own opinion onto someone or deride what other members believe about the game.​

Take advantage of the Report button or simply ignore the offensive post(s), thread, or review.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Good advice. You should take it.

This is the thread where we discuss the update. Discuss and rant are two different things. There are threads where rants are more OK. Some people believe annoying the developers achieves the best results. I've never seen that happen. At best that sort of thing gives developers the attitude that perhaps the masses would prefer that production cease so that they could find some other developer to annoy. I may be wrong about this so I would welcome a list of games that were annoyed into greatness. I'd like to compare that list to a list of games people actually play.

----------------------------------------------------

The last two major updates have caused some issues for me. Playing SE has not been a pleasant experience at times. Updates in general usually cause me problems, and Major updates usually cause me Major problems. Things work differently or not at all. Unexpected results from previously routine actions abound. Just when I think I've got something figured out I suddenly find myself starting from scratch. Annoying? Well, just call me the Captain of the Olympic Table Flipping Team.

Here's the thing. I've been working on the same set of ships since 2014. Here's my third oldest ship, Chilkoot Trail, in the summer of 2014:
    [​IMG]
    and here's the same ship as of this month:
    [​IMG]
    An astute observer will notice most of the blocks in both ships are mods. This is simply because Keen does not offer a great deal of block variety.

In any event, the second picture is the third complete from scratch rebuild of Chilkoot Trail, all of which were caused by Major updates. Chilkoot Trail is not a complicated ship. It's just big. However, this:
    [​IMG]
    evolved into this:
    [​IMG]
    After being rebuilt about four times.

Thing is, every rebuild results in a better build. They work better, and they look better. They become more capable, which usually means they get more added to them, which means more things that can go wrong, and every update makes things go wrong. Happens every single time.

So, when an update means the session I was playing just fine yesterday now CTDs when loaded, or the build I painstakingly assembled simply explodes because it has modded parts, or the coolest features of my builds disappear because the mod got yanked, or a "fix" from Keen drastically changes the behavior of my builds because I took the time to refine settings that are now no longer accessible, you could say I get a bit... miffed.

But...​

I remind myself that I'm playing a game still under construction. This is the fact that the Loud choose to ignore. Despite having accepted that condition when they purchased the game, they proceed act as if the game was completed long ago and these bugs and things mean they didn't get their money's worth and that's because the developer is, at best, inept and, at worst, only after our money. Anyone that does not believe their conjecture, rumors, baseless allegations or highly emotional outbursts is just stupid.

They changed the way wheel suspensions work. Things that a player could have compensated for in settings (or by just not driving like an insane maniac) are now done for them (thus encouraging maniacal driving). I'm not happy at all with the change, but I understand why it happened. People asked for it and now they have it and they may now never understand how much better it was before. Since I know I'm in the minority the changes will stick, but if it means staff will move on to other things I can live with it. I'll just say that whoever originally made the wheel suspension and gave us such extraordinary access to the settings was a genius, especially considering wheel suspensions existed before gravity and planets. Perhaps a Modder will return fully configurable wheel suspensions to SE.

A lot of good, old mods are dropping like flies. Mods that I have used and depended upon for years. It's frustrating. At the same time, new mods appear which create new possibilities. I can tell that my approach to a lot of things will have to change, and some things may no longer be possible. It does upset me, but it's not unexpected.

If you are playing Space Engineers and you don't expect anything to change, or if you expect long-standing issues will suddenly disappear (especially considering many of the issues are due to meeting less-than-realistic demands from the players i.e. planets and multiplayer, neither of which was in the original and much simpler plan) you should continue to rant here in the Change Log because that's all you've got.
    It won't change anything, it won't motivate Keen's staff, and nothing will happen that wouldn't have happened anyway. You will, however, believe in your own head that you are making a difference.

Meanwhile, rational people will understand that making a game like Space Engineers doing things that have never been done before using untested methods and taking large heavy risks that could easily go catastrophically wrong resulting in a financial disaster players will never share but will be quick to deride, means that sometimes things don't go the way anyone likes, but as long as no one gives up there's hope.

It's one thing to sit in a nice comfortable chair and call Keen's staff a bunch of assholes for not fixing obvious problems. I would just like to invite those people that insist the solutions are easy to provide a link the the game they produced. I mean, if you know everything you are surely an employee (if not the boss) of a respectable video game developer, and for some strange reason Keen prefers to listen to it's own staff rather than your sage advice. An oversight I assure you because Marek is not aware of your brilliance. Perhaps if you put all that rant energy into a well-written resume and offer some real help they might see the error of their ways. It is a fact that KSH is always willing to hire talented individuals. But, why cloud the issue with facts ;)

Oh yeah, all that work I'm going to have to do to get all my builds back up to snuff again? I'm looking forward to it :carlton:. I'm kinda weird that way, I guess. No point in getting too upset cause there will be another Update next Thursday.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  18. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

Stardriver, you do realise that you just did the exact thing you were told not to right? You aren't a dev, you don't get to tell people they can't share their opinions, or where & how or for what reasons.

19. TheAlterans Trainee Engineer

T
    Thank you Whiplash. I looked into a bunch of stuff and this seemed to be the best option and just what I needed. It also helped me find hidden colours so I could fix them and get the ships uniform and clean. Took some fiddling to get the right colours back because of the update, and sometimes they seem off but thats due to the game and something in the lighting, colours or backround from the update is weird, but this works great.

20. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

Good news everyone- after contacting the guy looking after the MexPex weapons mod he has fixed the issue apparently. There are still other, older issues that can't be fixed as of yet but we live in hope...

21. stfalx Trainee Engineer

Were half armor blocks removed ? The flat half a block and the half a block slope ? They used to be in the first single rotation armor block. What happened ?

22. MjasNick Trainee Engineer

For any objects 1g = 9.8 m/ss
    For character 1g = 16 m/ss

How do i change the character`s gravity factor to normal 9.8m/ss ?

• Informative Informative x 2
  23. gordon861 Apprentice Engineer

If thats true it'll explain why the jetpacks run out of power so quick recently and why you die from low level drops.

24. HarbingerDawn Trainee Engineer

For me, and many other players, there has recently been a problem where, when turning off the jetpack and falling to the ground, your character will not turn all the way upright, but instead be tilting, like you're suddenly walking with only one shoe on. The program used to align your character vertical relative to gravity, but now it's often off by 1° or so. If you're not having this issue, then lucky you.

If you didn't know what I was talking about, then why did you start attacking me based on a (false) assumption? That's both unkind and nonsensical. Shame on you.

In the past, the game gave you clear feedback when a block was finished welding by cutting off the welder. Not strictly realistic, but it was very useful as far as gameplay went. Given how they've recently arbitrarily increased acceleration due to gravity for the player, increased run speeds to very high levels, etc., all for the sake of gameplay, clearly the focus is on gameplay as opposed to realism. And that's ok. But they went the opposite direction when they changed welding behavior; now it just keeps welding after you reach 100% on a block, giving no visible or audible feedback that the block is finished. It's more realistic now, but at a significant detriment to gameplay. It just doesn't make any sense. It worked great before, so why was it changed? Most of the feedback I've seen on this subject has been bewildered disapproval, so I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Arcturus Senior Engineer

It is hardcoded.

Also:
    (for certain definitions of "real gravity on Earth" and "actually correct").
    Original SE, and old versions up to a point had this funny modifier that also increased gravity on characters:
    Code:
    const float CHARACTER_GRAVITY_MULTIPLIER = 2.0f;

IIRC it was removed with planets to allow nice jumping in low gravity (i.e. on the moon).

Feels Update made characters fall faster than reality because it "feels better" and the AHJ/PTB liked it that way.

Many FPS/non-space games do this as well since the character jumps higher than a real person, but has similar "air time" to a real person, so the gravity has to be increased. Might be good for those shooter games, but seems terrible in a space-based physics game. Why does our character also have to run faster than olympic athletes?

• Agree Agree x 6
  26. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

This puzzled me as well. My observation is that most players stay in run mode. Now walking is as fast as running, running is insane, and then you have a jet pack if that's not fast enough. Seriously, what's the rush?

When I play I walk my character and if I need to go faster I just fire up the jet pack. Now I get the impression that my backpack is filled with cocaine and the background music needs to be "Yakety Sax".

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. tuxOr Trainee Engineer

Nice list of changes. Here is mine -
    * Standard colour white no longer standard colour
    * Smeared butter on the screen with the new effects, removed that, still butter but less so.
    * Changed resolution to an unsupported aspect, thank you, that was a nice surprise.
    * Broke the welders so that they have to be rammed into blocks to work, thanks - Got it, no more large survival builds.

Yeah, getting frustrating now. Trying to finish a year long project in survival mode but with each major update, well, I have to repair and fix. The colour change though, that's the whole damned ship. 34k+ blocks so far. Thank you.

Remind me why you had to go a FFFF up the graphics in such a way that it almost breaks the game?

(Yeah I stopped posting a long time ago but you really pissed me off with this patch so just venting. I mean, posting here or reporting bugs feels like sudo su mv ./ /dev/null anyway.)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  28. TheAlterans Trainee Engineer

Do check in the previous comments. I have the same problem, 30+ships to repaint. But Whiplash's little program helps. It just takes some playing around to get it right. But it might only work on blueprints, I haven't tried models already in game.

I have 3 ships that are almost a KM long, one which is almost 1.5KM long and under construction. Without Whip's program, it would take me a good 30 minutes just to get the basic colour, and I havent even started detailing the ship. It's a massive project that's been ongoing for a good 2 months now, I definitely won't sit there repainting all the details, especially when I have 30 ships, probably 10 of them would be considered "titan" or "capital ship" by your average player.

29. Petr Beranek Developer Staff

Yeah, that is because their mod probably contains old (and complete) CubeBlocks.sbc which still contains block limits (-180;180) degrees for all turrets, which I have changed to correct limits. That basically makes all block "modded" as they are overwritten by definition in mods. The thing is (as it is always), before you start complaining about something, try it first in vanilla w/o mods. We cannot keep all mods updated...It is basically impossible when they are allowed to completely rewrite our changes (in cases like this).
    --- Automerge ---
    Nope, that's not what I said and I am not suggesting anything. What I said was that it removes the possibility of overlooking. But even though there is the possibility, it does not mean it is happening.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  30. I23I7 ME Tester Staff

Guys give Zhilla a break :D he has been given many tips and blacklists from me :p

• Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.