Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.186.3 - Beta Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Bistro187 Trainee Engineer

I love coming to the forums to see the praise and complaints for some reason :munch:

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

So... someone changed gyro speed inputs from radians per second to RPM. This kind of change would be very important to mention in the patch notes.

Edit:
    For clarification, the change was for the terminal properties ( ie:SetValueFloat("Pitch", 1f); ). Frustrating as the interface method sets it differently.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. sadpickle Trainee Engineer

Thanks for fixing the hand welder, Keen. It's not perfect but it's much better.

Now maybe you can fix the small ship welder. It's radius is still way too small.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Cave Dweller Trainee Engineer

So by various bug fixes, does that also include fixing the game crashing while mining or grinding down blocks?

5. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Depends on whether you mean SP or MP.
    Also, just because the game crashes when you do that does not necessarily mean mining and grinding are the cause. I've been noticing that disk usage is really a thing when running SE and SSDs are probably more appropriate for meeting the demand. I wouldn't be surprised if the machines they use to test have SSDs. I do not.

It seems for me many crashes are somehow related to the conveyor system. Game crashes when I add or delete something to the conveyor system such as a junction, container or even a piston or advanced rotor, and sometimes it crashes when something uses the conveyor system (like using a ship drill). It's as if SE doesn't want to recalculate routes or whatever. It's an old problem.

Adding/removing blocks or voxels in general seem to cause crashes for me.

There's way too many reasons for SE to crash to attribute it to just one thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Zac Lee Trainee Engineer

I still have this bug where all the textures look like oily wet garbage. Can I get an estimate to when this bug will be fixed?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Elfi Wolfe Apprentice Engineer

No info that API for terminal actions changed.

/watches satellites fall out of orbit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Royale98 Trainee Engineer

As someone who uses an SSD, I'd say they don't really help a ton with SE. Granted I haven't ever used a HDD for SE, and there's almost always benefits to having a SSD vs. a HDD, but from what I've noticed, using my Samsung 950 Pro m.2, SE doesn't really use the drive hard enough that a (decent) HDD wouldn't do fine. Being a m.2 SSD, it may have certain benefits like reduced latency and the cache is certainly better, but overall usage during gameplay is very minor. The only real benefits are for game/world loading where the drive bounces around up to ~800MB/s, but that's only a few spikes. Even saving the world is a minor task relatively.

Again I haven't ever used a HDD for SE, so I can't really compare, but this is my observation and educated guess on the side of SSDs. Certainly would NOT recommend buying a SSD for the sole purpose of SE, unless you really abhor longer loading times, but for most of my game and world loading the drive isn't even doing anything, maybe shooting 1MB here or there. And if someone's wondering, it does not help with block placement, conveyors especially give the game a long (relatively) stutter.

9. apfelimkuchen Trainee Engineer

Ohhh man thank you Keen
    "fixed player position being desynced when moving around wheels in multiplayer" that was so annoying! Thanks for the fast fix :) u r great!

10. Luziferius Trainee Engineer

Seems like fully loaded jump drives don't jump. You get a message of loading status while pressing Toolbar key, but no jump when charged and no message.

11. Roxette Senior Engineer

Sadly, this is not a bug, it's an executive decision as to how the game's creator desires the textures to appear, like the windows being smeared with poo and scratches with mold growing round the edges, and the cinematic lighting effects.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Do actually "ALL" the textures look like "oily wet garbage"?
    And if so, how come? Because here they look pretty darn good.
    Maybe you can screenshot an example and show it to us.

To be completely honest: I don't see any brown coloring on any type of glass inside the game... Oh wait a minute... no it's fine. It was just a reflection of the Earth.
    But seriously, those are signs of wear and tear of the glas at exactly the places of the windows you would expect to see them.
    Also, if you would sit inside a cockpit (or from inside-out in any case) you would see that the light from outside makes those wear-and-tear parts dark. Which is also as you would expect.

It all fits. I like it actually.
    Makes it help to create a bit more immersive story-like.
    Wouldn't care much for perfectly virtual computerized pieces of glass.
    This game isn't called Tron Legacy.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. IsEstredundant Trainee Engineer

Next list of bug fixes;

visor dirt has become dirtier
    rotors have even larger hit boxes
    glass can only be built on stations in space
    Modders have to try even harder to fix our game
    the Workshop has been taken down due to people building ships not our style
    The only colours available to make it more realistic is Red, White and Blue
    Thrusters have been nerfed
    Gyros can now blow up planets when their base block has been destroyed.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Welcome to the forum... oh that is your first message?
    Wow

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. Royale98 Trainee Engineer

I also like the new changes they've done (partly). I think too many people are caught up with the "traditional" look that SE has pretty much always had. Now that things look more according to life (excluding some obvious flaws) some of us are like: yay, better graphics...
    Meanwhile people who got attached to the old style are... Idk what word I'm looking for but they don't like the changes, and normally I wouldn't like changes either, I'm not a "change-adapting" type of guy (in this case I just really like realistic graphics). And I think some people are taking that dislike and mashing it into the obvious problems (like the crazy PP, or the new sun) and making it kind of a bigger deal than it is.

And this is only an educated guess, but I think it's fair to assume that a graphical/visual overhaul was bound to happen eventually. Personally I've been waiting for it, and I'm surprised it didn't just kill performance cause honestly I expected it would have. Now, SE has always looked "good", but "good" isn't really acceptable for a modern game anymore unless it's indie or going for a specific style. And I'd argue that a space game, especially one with open worlds and free moving ships, objects, and characters in it, where the whole premise of the game is to build things for aesthetics, function, both, or whatever reasoning; that game is probably going to go for a pretty "high class" visual set, not Witcher 3 style (cause that game was basically all about video game beauty and is simply hard to run with all of said beauty turned on :woot:; if SE looked like that, I think 99% of the player base would outright struggle with performance or have to turn everything way down, SE is already fairly demanding at least CPU wise), but certainly better than SE has been.

Anyways, hopefully by the next major update they'll adjust the sun and add advanced post-processing options. (Those are at least the major two excluding the skybox, but... go to the workshop and pick one of the far-too-many.)

The Workshop has definitely not been taken down... idk where you got that from.
    And... AMERICA, F*** YEAH! Comin' again to save the mot*******ing day, yeah... I had to :)

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

It’s pretty weird that even the rocks look metallic. It’s very difficult, especially when I’m prospecting inside an asteroid’s anal orifice, to tell stone from something of similar color such as silver or platinum ore. It’s just my opinion, mind you, but rock (stone) should look flat, not glossy, like most stones actually look.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

That's exactly what i've been saying for some times now.
    A car for example, is normally 1 object that you steer by pretty simple means.
    The tires are animated to make them see spinning etc, in order to be able to make everything look as beautiful as possible because sales, hype and "realism".
    But in SE there is a orchestra of physics involved, along with whole other categories of orchestra's of systems. Made by "Triple A Sh!t".
    People just don't seem to get that.
    But then ALSO being able to create the current graphics with smooth fps is kinda wild.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Zac Lee Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. Royale98 Trainee Engineer

Looks good to me. That's just the new look. Not everyone likes it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  20. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Yeah i think i see what you mean.
    But immediately i think about what Elon Musk had to say about 2018-017A (space-cruisin' Tesla Roadster aka Star Man) in space: "You can tell it's real because it looks so fake, honestly."
    Try to copy/paste your ship on a planet for example.. see what happens.
    And you could also use some extra coloring.
    Maybe an accent color or 2... i dunno.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  21. Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

You know aside from the external first two pictures. The new textures actually look metallic. A side by side comparison makes what we were building with look like plastic LEGOs. The metal actually looks like it's made of metal. It reminds me of Dead Space.

Oddly, enough I like the grungy, grimy look; I mean who is seriously gonna spend HOURS washing your glass and your refinery? I'd be like meh good enough.

Space is Dirty man space is dirty.

Kudos to you Sir good imgur post!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Zac Lee Trainee Engineer

My main problem is that there's light source reflections everywhere, behind numerous levels of geometry and its driving me up the wall. The garbage lighting was always there but with the matte paint and only a very scant few chrome surfaces- the lighting looked way more ambient and soft. Things fit with each other easily and you can light everything with just a couple seconds of playing with your light source radius. Now the bad lighting system is on full display here and it's intensely distracting. Every point light is reflected on every surface no matter how low the intensity. You guys talking about visual realism when this games lighting system is still 18 years old.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

He is not wrong though.

• Agree Agree x 5
  24. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

I always wondered about conveyors. When I use a lot of them, my system stutters badly. But what choice is there if you want an integrated ship and/or station?

25. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

I just don't see what you mean with the "light source reflections" and "numerous levels of geometry". And if those by itself drive up the wall then, i would call that a bit of an overreaction.
    But then again, if it's bothering you that much, you wouldn't mind making your own mod-pack of blocks to work around the problem. Or create area-based lights instead of point-based lights. That would diminish your fps by factor of 10 perhaps so.. good luck?
    All i see is that i really do agree with Timuroslav, in that your comparison series shows just how drastically better the new graphics are. Metal really looks like metal now.

Yeah right, i was actually waiting for this.
    Suicideneil's got a new buddy ^^

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  26. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, metal looks shiny like, well, metal. But so does paint (I guess it’s all gloss paint) and stone. I can accept the paint, but stone!?!

• Agree Agree x 4
  27. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

It's almost as though I'm not alone in my opinion; perhaps, just maybe, I had a point.

Regarding the 'oily looking textures'- painted surfaces ( anything not chrome-looking or bare metal essentially ) should not be reflecting light the way they do now- matt paint is a thing after all, and it's how & why painted objects looked far less slimy before the visual update. Basically, the update covered every single object in the game, regardless of being obviously painted or not, matt finish or shiny- to any sane person this was a mistake, or at best an oversight that should have only affected certain blocks to give that more realistic shine to metallic surfaces, and leave painted surfaces less reflective.

I know exactly what Zac Lee means and I can see it too- pretending that you can't see it in order to yet again defend a half-baked feature implementation is not going to help the devs improve the game- it's basically the same as an inept leader surrounding themselves with shallow 'yes men' who agree with his every decision, regardless of how bad they are or not.

Pro tip though: don't make snide remarks just because people don't dance to the same tune as you do...

• Agree Agree x 5
  28. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Oh wait a minute, we ARE talking PASS the fact that metal only shows it's typical metallic glossiness from certain angles right?
    And that it CAN indeed look matte, if light does not hit it from the negative angle that you're seeing it from?

Just want to clear that out of the way.

Because if so, yeah that's also happening in real life. Don't what else to make of it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  29. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

If by certain angles you mean every angle, then sure- trouble is, not everything is made of shiny, polished metal- heck, given how dirty everything in SE looks, it shouldn't look reflective at all. Even in very low light levels the glare from objects is still far too bright since every object and voxel material is coated in a gloss clear coat- things only look matt in total darkness essentially, though the screen shots provided by Zac even show high levels of reflectiveness with no direct lighting...

30. Zac Lee Trainee Engineer

The red circles highlight my issue- because of how shiney things are, these surfaces are now reflecting light sources at too high of levels. These reflections were always there but were diluted and softened so much, they looked like ambient lighting and subsequently much better than current visuals. To speak nothing the comical levels of saturation and contrast. This looks like somebody's first attempt and a skyrim ENB mod.

it astonishes me that you don't think this looks horrendous.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.