Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.186.5 - Beta Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Petr Beranek Developer Staff

@Tenzo As I can't see the pictures (unreachable), I cannot reference to specific images, but I just wanted to ask one thing. What falloff did you have set for those interior lights? Even though it will make lighting unrealistic a lot, you can increase falloff to max, to make it more illuminating. With lower falloff you will need much more powerful lights.

2. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

@Petr Beranek Gah.... All the images broke. :(

It took a long time uploading all of them. I don't suppose you can recommend a better image hosting site? Hmm.

Well, I'll re-post the two most informative ones in regards to fall-off.

This is comparing the default lights (not fiddled with) compared with the flashlight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I tried setting them with maximum intensity and falloff, and that does bump up the ambience, but I find it makes the alpha of the light a bit too bright. Though the default alpha is also a bit too bright for me, so I guess it's a good suggestion.

I have lights on grey blocks that don't do anything. They look just like the ones on the dark colored blocks. See here...

[​IMG]

Thanks for the suggestion... Sorry about the broken links. I think I set an expiration date on them to 31 days, but I think the site just broke them. I had a more recent one posted (2 days) and when I checked back it showed up as an X.

Weird.... it's a shame really, the layout of the site is quite decent compared with other more advertising-heavy ones... :(

I hope these new links stay up for a bit longer than a few days... *crosses fingers*

Oh, and before I forget... About the "alpha", it's the outline of the light. You can see it has a longer display range than the actual length of the 3D blocks here:

[​IMG]

That is a light that I have on top of the ship (the same lighting position as in the previous image). And in this picture I am flying up the side of the ship and the alpha of the light just stays in my field of view (you can see it through the blocks).

A better view of the angle, before the light alpha renders through the blocks:

[​IMG]

3. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I wish SE just had higher graphics settings for lighting so light doesn't pass through objects... and that those interior lights cast shadows... Not all of us have potatoes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

I'm not sure about the interior lights casting shadows is more about our computers than it is about the actual engine of the game. The engine itself might not be able to display them properly due to its nature as a voxel based engine.

It's like traffic. Volume of cars versus speed of cars. You will get slowdown no matter how fast the cars are if you have a high volume of cars. (And that speaks to the engine of the game not being able to process that additional load/volume of computation. It is not a conventional engine for displaying 3D environments. It's not designed for that.)

Can you do a port of Skyrim for Flash Player? Even if you have a NASA computer, it would still run like a slide show, because Flash Player is not able to handle that. :)

5. pologoalie8908 Trainee Engineer

Apparently the dummy bolder for secondary drill are not fixed. This was after a fresh reinstall and validate game files. graphics on a 290X are up to date.

This is a single "attack" with right click while crouched on a fresh earth start

Note the noticeable size difference between the old style debris and this new terrible debris that is the same size as the left click mining action. I cannot pick up those rocks in this picture

• Late Late x 1
  6. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

yeah i was so tired of that so i just started using this mod to reduce the effort on my part. :p
    basically your drill gets an invisible silent vacuum attachment and while you drill it'll collect any ore you could collect.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=657749341

7. Saberwulfy Apprentice Engineer

Waiting for survival update for polish the game after to end

8. boromir Apprentice Engineer

In DS all the debris is retrievable using the 'F' key. Are there different sizes of debris in single player? Last time I drilled (last week) there was only one size of debris. What is secondary drilling?

9. MightyOdin Trainee Engineer

I would Like to Pose a question, I love this game and I am concerned for it's development. Is the slowdown in updates going to keep getting worse or is there a large update that may be being focused on coming up? I hope that the game's performance continues to increase and hopefully you haven't given up on this game with a community that clearly loves it.

10. pologoalie8908 Trainee Engineer

Secondary drilling is clicking with the right mouse to make a larger hole without material "dropping" to be able to collected. it has given off debris in the past but not as large as the picture i posted. I could primary drill(with left click) and the same size boulders will appear and i can collect them.
    --- Automerge ---
    That would be great for primary(left click drilling) but does not fix the issue of my screen getting flooded with huge boulders that i cant pick up due to the secondary action of the drill(right click) does not produce collectable rocks

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. boromir Apprentice Engineer

Have a look at Marek's recent blog posts.

12. Petr Beranek Developer Staff

I still don't get it... Why everyone thinks the game is being abandoned? This is not first mention about "abandoning" and I still don't get it where people comes to that idea. Just because we stopped minor updates, so we can focus on major updates, it does not mean that we are not working on something. There is still the same team, working still as hard as before. Now everyone can focus only on major so it can be much more polished. Yes, you don't get update as often as you used to. But some changes just can't be split into small weakly updates and it takes some time to implement+test them.

PS To all who thinks game is being abandoned. You should stop watching Meow Captain's conspiracy theories. :D
    There are no differences in development other than removal of minor updates. It is not like we come to work on mondays, see there will be no release that week, say "See you next week" and go enjoy 7 free days. There is just so many work needed to do. If there were minor updates, this major would either take much more time, minors would be just bugfixes or major would contain way less things.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Malware Master Engineer

First a disclaimer: I have full understanding of why you stopped the minor updates. I applaud this choice, and I am of the opinion that you guys should have done this a long time ago.

But try to see this from Random Gamer's point of view. You guys have updated the game every single week for years, you've only been late a handful of times or so, and only postponed an update once. That I can remember, anyway. Then suddenly, again from their point of view, the updates just stop. Marek's blog posts doesn't matter here, the streams doesn't matter - not everybody follows those.

Of course they're gonna start worrying :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Petr Beranek Developer Staff

Well, if you take it from this angle, then even what I say here does not matter :D
    I can't imagine more official information than information on Marek's blog. Only maybe streams where Marek or other developers directly say anything. :D But if that does not matter, what else can be done to transmit the message, without people misinterpreting it or taking it as "they are saying that they are not abandoning SE, that is suspicious, they are definitely abandoning SE!!!".
    Why are we even discussing here, cause in the end, it does not matter at all too, as not everyone follows forum... And even if they do, it might not matter to them, that we are talking here about it... There is no reason to discuss SE on forum, or play it... or playing anything else... or even live, as we all will die in the end...

Wow, such nihilism... much meaningless... Seems I am hungry, should get some lunch :D

On the more serious side: What would you suggest to do, to unworry people? :) (Nope, saying that there should have been no minors at all is not valid answer as it would require time travelling. :D )

15. Malware Master Engineer

@Petr Beranek I have no answers, nor do I even think you guys are really doing anything wrong with this. This is one of those things you can't win. It's just The Way It Is. It happens to everyone who has larger periods between updates... even people like us who just do business software. There will always be people like that. You guys are simply an easier target because of the massive change from weekly to undefined.

I think people just want to see some kind of life sign.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. boromir Apprentice Engineer

Indeed, this is a communication issue but if people won't listen (even to good news) there is nothing you can say. To those that might listen, I would suggest adding a statement to the end of the next major update announcement, something like, 'See you at the next major update'.

It also helps a lot if KSH continues trolling their forums, responding to gamer posts and such. Responsiveness is a strong indicator of how active a development team is on their product. Thanks for being here, @Petr Beranek ! :tu:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Malware Master Engineer

Actually I think this forum matters more than the blogs and streams. (possibly also the Steam forums but I stay far away from those so I wouldn't know) Pretty confident people are more likely to see here than those.

Otherwise I was going to make the same statement about being here as boromir there but I got beat to it :D.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

There are numerous games that I own/enjoy/follow that are in early access and that have never had weekly updates, but do a great job of keeping their followers updated on progress anyway. And that progress is often either very general and vague (KSP was often like that, but would usually sneak in a nugget/picture of interest), or very detailed (Eden Star and 7 Days to Die).

I agree that the sudden drop from weekly info (delivered via actual game updates) to ???? is part of what left everyone a little shell-shocked and wondering. Now, if anyone has the wherewithal to try and find some answers, they'll probably look at the Steam Page for Space Engineers first (that's where I go when i want to see if a potential purchase is still getting regular updates). Looking at that you can see that there was very recently new news (Ansel contest), and a few weeks before that there was an interview about the future of SE. Last update news was March 8th.

I encourage Keen to not let several weeks go by without having some new post on the Steam page, almost regardless what it is about. I think what most people (whether current players or prospective buyers) are looking for is just a heart beat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Saberwulfy Apprentice Engineer

Just remember, your game is always your child but we are his boy/girlfriends. So we get nervous when he does not call.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Nickolay Trainee Engineer

Good afternoon. And when is the next update expected? this year or next)

• Like Like x 1
  21. Cetric Junior Engineer

In one word: we see currently, how influence propaganda such as the one of a certain "Meow Captain" works, spreading doubts and rumors while claiming SE is getting abandoned. It's shaking the fanbase and keeping away new buyers as they are afraid of bidding on a dead horse. Actually KEEN should think of measures how to counter such publications.
    Still sniffing some alien interest involved...
    Is this guy a forum member here?

22. Sich Trainee Engineer

Yep, but, some bugs are really annoying (like auto pilot speed on planet) and are not fixed...
    Apparently this should be fixed in the next update, but we don't know when...
    The last update was 2 months ago... We don't have any news the next one...

With the small weekly updates we could have some hope that some minor bugs will be fixed fast.
    Now we have some bugs from the last major update that are here for some times now and we don't have any news on when we can see those issues fixed...

And sorry, but for someone who play only survival, a lot with drones and around planet... This issue is really annoying...
    When your drone have to travel few km, use hydrogen.... You have to put tons of tank because he is flying very slowly...

I'm not here to make some KSH bashing... I like SE, it's just that to stay for now 2 months (at least) for a lot of bugs and having no info at all about the next patch round is frustrating...

But yeah, survival is not a priority, the only thing that is important is that some youtubers can make beautiful video in creative to adverstise the game...

23. Nickolay Trainee Engineer

I do not want to offend anyone and do not sabotage the riot, I just want to know when the next update is waiting to play this wonderful game and not lag.

24. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Use Xocli!
    He's an awesome community manager and seems sad he no longer has anything to do. He was doing his choreographed hand movements on stream a few weeks ago, and it was so funny how much thought he had put into them. But then I felt sad because he no longer seemed to have a anything to do for the game.

Use Xocli to put out videos about the game, even if it's showcasing workshop content or mods, or his recent destruction derby league - while you guys work on the actual updates. That way people get that the game Is actively maintained and get their weekly dosage of Space Engineers news, even if it's not an update.

You need someone out there to actively engage with the community, it doesn't always need to be about the updates.

Xocli is your answer. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Royale98 Trainee Engineer

I know the update style is pretty random now, but honestly give A time frame of when we can expect something new. I'm not saying KSH needs to put out a message that "this update will release on this date", but the general time frame of when the next coming update is expected.
    For example:
    "Update 1.187 is currently expected to release in July, 2018.*"
    or
    "Update 1.187 is expected to release this summer*."
    *subject to change (for what I think are obvious reasons)

This way we can all stop wondering (at least until near to that time frame) when an update may come out, and for those who may be unable to play (be it actually unable to play or the "oh my god, bad HDR, much bright, eyes hurt, can't play" naggers), they know when to check back :I
    Because right now the answer to: When might the next update come out? is well...
    Step 1, slam your face into your numpad until you have 8 digits, using reason align the digits into some format of a date (i.e. MM/DD/YYYY or DD/MM/YYYY etc) and bet $5 you don't need on it because who the f*** knows :D

But seriously, just having a general frame of time in which we could expect activity would help a lot IMO.

I'll be honest, when the announcement to remove the weekly updates came out I was and am cool with that, weekly is too hard of a goal. But I expected something by this point in time, now I have 0 clue.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. Petr Beranek Developer Staff

Well... it seems that "in future" won't satisfy you much, so lets say (but I am not promising you anything! :D )... we aim to release next Major in less than 5 years (from now) :D ;)
    Hope it was as much general as you wanted it to be :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

28. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

We understand that you are banned from making any kind of statement that could be misinterpreted as helpful. But you did ASK how the worrying could be stopped. @Royale98 has the answer. You might pass it on to your High Lord, if he's still interested in the SE community.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. boromir Apprentice Engineer

If they're bringing the bulk of the testing in-house and plan to release the official product rather than do much more updates, then giving an update schedule [to the early access community] is probably far less important than a forecasted and media-announced release date and even that is probably not as important than working to get the job actually done.

However, whether or not to make a public media-announced release date could be very debatable. Keen's urgency for such an announcement is likely less than the community would like.

30. Malware Master Engineer

To make a public media-announced release date they'd have to know when that date is. This was the entire point of stopping the weekly updates; to not have a deadline.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.