Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Important Update 1.186 - Major Overhaul of Visuals, Audio and Wheels

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

Same here..
    Ever since the first hotfix. Prior, I was able to fly super fast with the orig update. I thought they changed the speed and gooded up as it was lagging me real bad but then I noticed the error warnings you mention. Since the hotfix it has been slow with my existing ship design and those warning messages came up. I think mods were broken and cause a conflict. Wish it would report which... Thought it was the "Shutter" mod but it wasn't. Maybe the forcefield hangar doors? IDK. Too tired to try to isolate since I ended up blowing up the ship trying to in the first place. LOL... Sure, I have a blue print.. same lag (yes, it's the ship). Sorta bummed that even my safe place to play the game (all Hail Clang!), single player-creative mode (probably overall) is apparently compromised, to me, with "my current ship designs. MP is sorta dead and single player is lifeless in so many ways so creative was where I ended up going.. Creating ships that maybe could be used one day.....

2. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Since one of the hotfixes or patches, my graphics and framerate improved a bit. I don't see the whiteout anymore, but if I take a screenshot it is still bright white/negative color when I view the file later.

Tested wheels. A nice improvement. Planet FPS a bit low, I might remove the trees from my game as I have done in the past.

The ability of explosions from warheads, missiles, or explosive components to push things around appears to have been greatly improved. There are some interesting ways that players can use this new feature. During my testing, I placed a few small warheads on the side of a red ship to push most of it into the space station on the other side. Due to how the explosion-combining code works, non-overlapping explosions should propel things more efficiently.

3. Brian Yilmaz Trainee Engineer

My little fighter is getting completely thrown away by rockets atm ... I like that they push things and have some sort of force, but I too think it's way too much. Speaking of a 30 Ton!! fighter that is doing 100m/s... a rocket right to the front of that thing shouldn't cause too much shake as the force of the fighter should be WAY higher than the rockets.
    But I wouldn't complain too much about it yet cause so far it is fun...

Other thing I encountered.. as I built my little fighter and grinded down some parts again, one armor block dropped on the ground of my station. As I stepped on it my character got bumped away like 5 meters. Happens all the time... as if the armor block is actively pushing me away -.-

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mr.SerikuS Trainee Engineer

Next major pleeeaaaaseeeee make multiplayer perfomance optimisation. We want to run our server with friend for all people, but when 5+ and many constructions with people there is so much lags...

And make please utility to clear server from useless elements

• Late Late x 1
  5. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Whenever i use my perspective camera to swift around, my sim speed twitches up and down. Down to 0.5 even.
    A real stuttering experience.

Also, i noticed that the ground, doesn't seem to be (correctly) included within the Global Illumination.
    When slowly jetpacking upwards between an enclosed space with openings on top and bottom (small grid), i see heavy shadow creeping up on the ground towards the horizon... making it completely dark (black) inside while it's full-on daytime.

6. Xelo Trainee Engineer

I think this would be correct, if missiles would not have any explosive charges and would be only a massive thing out of metal or something. But since missiles have an explosive charge, the forces can be much higher then the force of your fighter.

I encountered some similar issues while grinding down something, which wasn't mounted anywhere anymore. I even died because of no appearend reason because of that. But that's ok for me, these are some glitches and some smaller bugs, I can live with.

7. JM23 Trainee Engineer

Please look here how Space[...] looks after update

cant see ore spots, cant dig anything... game is unplayable.

8. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Maybe for a fighter but my current space ship build is 22MKg+ and moves when hit by those same missiles. It is a very minor issue though and IMO not really worth looking at considering this game has limited physics and IMO never really was intended to have realistic physics, just a close enough approximation for immersion. Watching disabled pirate drones spinning away out of control never gets old :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  9. _alphaBeta_ Trainee Engineer

Yes, I had read the same limitations regarding the range which is why I was suggesting that the performance issues be worked with ore detectors. Perhaps it's not necessary to check every single voxel etc. At the end of the day, the lack of dark patches would be fine if the ore detector's range was simply greater and actually picked up everything it was supposed to. I've noticed in the past that it doesn't pick up the small patches of ore left behind by meteor strikes. Normally I'd say that's perhaps excessive, but if we're suffering the performance of checking all voxels currently, this detection should be a perk that comes with it.

Still, was this intended for this release or not? With the current state of the ore detectors, I don't see a planetary survival start being overly enjoyable. Yes, the landers have large ore detectors, but with the lack of power sources that early in the game, there isn't much opportunity for scouting.

10. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

The slowdown could be remedied with some simple gameplay changes. I've kind of never liked the simplicity of finding ore. I'm not in favor or random digging...but what if ore detectors were much more methodical but also slower. Sure, scan every voxel in your range, but at a much slower pace. It would mean having to establish ore searching stations with power and defenses instead of just flying around with an ore detector on your ship. Then let's say that you actually need the ore to be found by 2 detectors in order to show up on your HUD (don't know if that's even possible for the game to know which ore is which..probably not), then you'd have to link ore detectors with antenna.... Maybe even a fast detector that scans only "1x" distance from itself and can find ore in 1 day, and then the slower detectors that have much longer range, but take longer to find it.

More infrastructure needed, more planning, more building, more engineering. I'm usually in favor or more of that stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Brian Yilmaz Trainee Engineer

I get your point and I have taken that into consideration, so I still disagree. Maybe I'm wrong, but it FEELS wrong...

That! ;)

12. _alphaBeta_ Trainee Engineer

Fully agree. There's no need to avoid scanning every voxel, but rather just spread out their scan in time. So what if it took a good 30-60 seconds to scan the area? That's just another engineering problem to solve, which I'd agree we need more of. I would certainly be fine with slower, but longer range scans.

How cool would it be if you had a ship or vehicle with several self-contained very slow, but very long range scanning stations that you essentially dropped off and spread around via connectors or merge blocks? They could take their sweet time on the order of minutes real-time to compile their data. Certainly better gameplay than flying around and staring at the tops of dark patches waiting for notification to instantly pop on the screen. And that's when we had dark patches. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Registry_Editor Trainee Engineer

For the love of god, give us a way to turn chromatic abberation off (post-processing on/off is not acceptable).

Christ knows why anybody thought introducing something that degrades the picture quality was a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Fercko Trainee Engineer

I tried the game out again to see what`s up after the many Hot-fixes. Well with PP on it`s still to bright. And a weird thing happens to turrets. They are shooting next to the targeted ship. I have no turret modifying mods just a nano repair mod and the Revears mod.
    Here are some pictures of the problem. They hit the ship but sometimes they do this....
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1293535496
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1293535397
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1293535351

15. Lé Grand Sárrazin Apprentice Engineer

Yes, definitely a problem on my end.. but my ship is ~889MKg+... and it's being thrown around like tissue paper. While before this update it could fight for a 1/2 hour easy.. it now can't even engage in a fight without being thrown away at 3m/s impulses every hit. Don't get me wrong.. i like the impulse, it's neat but it's too much.. unless these are thermonuclear, I don't see how those rinky-dink missiles can impart 2.667GN, or 272 kt of TNT, which would be a Strategic grade thermonuclear device.

I'm just sayin.... it's a tad much... wouldn't you say?

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Pennywise Apprentice Engineer

Well, after first negative impression, i must admit, that update 186 has really great potential. It needs a ton of fixes, but it's huge and beatiful.
    And these explosions and fire are nice. Just replace stupid gray skybox with any skybox from workshop and make darkness darker.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Space Just Got Real has had a couple of patches since the update to fix bits and the author is working on more fixes but it works and does what you want.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1136188499&searchtext=

18. Pennywise Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, i know this mod. That's my favorite one.

19. boromir Apprentice Engineer

I discovered the booming / crashing / scraping sounds with nothing going on visually goes away when you tweak the in-game graphic settings. In particular, I reduced the voxel rendering and increased the model qualities and it drastically reduced frequency. Give it a try, it might work.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Pegas519 Apprentice Engineer

You are using a WHAT??? GT 630? that was a typo right? I think that card out in 2012, 6 years ago, ranks 292nd. Gosh man, really? I wouldn't dare playing with any gear older than 2 years.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  21. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Yes, I got it in 2012. Staying with Windows 7 so far has allowed me to ignore all the bugs and sketchy stuff associated with at first 8 and later 10. Not looking forward to changing that. I need to figure out what to look for in a new PC anyways. Probably not a laptop since I don't need the portability.

22. Royale98 Trainee Engineer

I'd like to point out to anyone and everyone who is complaining about the shine and "cartoony" look of the game now:

You're literally stupid. Metal shines... Get anything metal, move it around in the light, you'll notice that when you look at the right angle, it shines. If it's not directly reflecting a light source, it's just illuminated. That's what the game does now. Light actually reflects off metal blocks the way that it should. If you think the game looks cartoony, you need to step tf outside and see how the world looks.

And I'm not talking about the post-processing, I don't think a single person is happy with the PP, that is bad. But the shine, is good. If anything, Keen could add an optional "matte finish" in the color selector that paints said block with a non-reflective matte finish.
    And before you try to say I'm wrong, go look at real spacecraft, they shine when the sun is reflecting off the surface.

Also, KEEN... how is the moon lit up at night with no light sources, but the inside of my spaceship is pitch black even if I step one foot into it. O_O aperture logic=none

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  23. Spets Master Engineer

the jump feature for wheels is fun for sure, but I think there should be an option in the cockpit to turn it off, you know, just to avoid accidents

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Royale98 Trainee Engineer

Idk what MKg is supposed to be, unless you mean Mg (megagram), or million Kg in which case your ship is ~889,000,000 kg (889Gg), and I'm presuming you meant that. (nice ship, much big, I love)
    Now according to spaceengineerswiki.com which with ~15minutes of research is the only source I can find on this, weapons don't actually use impulse in SE. They just add a new force to whatever it hits. Reportedly, the rocket launcher has a 400N force.

So a single rocket of a 400N force should accelerate your ship at 400N/889,000,000kg=4.5x10^-7 m/s^2, or 0.45 micrometers/s^2, basically you wouldn't even see a pixel change even if you ran the game in like 16K. (granted it's unknown here how long that force is applied).

You say you're being hit off at 3m/s everytime a rocket hits you. I'll assume it takes ~1.0 seconds for your ship to be moved, giving an overall acceleration of 3m/s^2, and a force of 2.667GN. That is not equal to 272 kilotons of TNT. Tons of TNT and Newtons do not measure the same thing. Tons of TNT is work/energy/force*distance, newtons are just force.
    The question remaining is how far does it push you? 272kt of tnt is >1.138PJ (1.138 quadrillion joules or Newton-meters). With that we can calculate the distance you should have moved. W=Fd, so d=W/F--> 1,138,048,000,000,000Nm/2,667,000,000N=426714.661m=~427km. And I guarantee you do not fly 427km every time a missile hits. They are not thermonuclear warheads. Not even close.

Just to test this, I shot one of my own ships which has a mass of just over 291Gg (290,000,000kg) and it moved about 0m. Sooo... either you're VERY confused on your ship weight, have the wrong speed at which you're being hit, or you're HEAVILY dramatizing this. Or you're game is broken af, which with all the clang issues that have existed, i'd place my dollar on that being the culprit of your funked up physics.

To everyone else, please use proper units. It's hard to tell what you're saying if you don't say it properly. If you think something is off about the physics, do the calculations carefully yourself, or hey PM me, I literally enjoy calculating physics.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Pegas519 Apprentice Engineer

The fish eye effect is getting on my nerves. It looks like another effort in lowering graphic requirement due to too many complains about optimization, because people are playing games with fancy toasters and laptops.
    Meanwhile, People like me who paid good money to get a nice video card are not getting our fare share of value for our bucks. I didn't pay 1000 on my video card to play a blurry game at 300FPS, I paid to play it in near cinematic at 60PFS. Just saying.
    --- Automerge ---
    Be careful who you call stupid. And make sure in your next statement you don't make a fool of yourself. Yes metal shines, but metal with paint shouldn't . These are not cars with mirroring paint, because you can't see your reflection on your ship don't you? So if you can't see your own reflection, that means the paint is matted. That said, light shouldn't reflect like it does. The intent is nice, it needs tweaking. I would use a better choice of words if I were you.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  26. Arcturus Senior Engineer

I peeked at the code and the impulse used is proportional to the radius of the explosion and nonlinearly related to distance to target (from explosion center) and mass of target. Assuming point blank explosions and the 4 m explosion radius of the rockets, the range of velocities it produces should be no less than 0.8 m/s and no more than 8 m/s, for very large and very small masses respectively. A 30 m radius combined warhead blast would result in 6 m/s to 60 m/s. It looks like the nonlinear bits were adjusted to get the right cinematic feels with the default weapons, so I recommend not trying to rationalize this to real physics.

Since the bug I reported months ago about explosive component stacks is not fixed, igniting a single stack of 50000 explosive components (only 100,000 L) produces a 500 m radius explosion that theoretically pushes everything but stations and voxels away at 100 m/s, if it didn't freeze/crash the game. 5000 components (50 m radius) is less spectacular but still fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. mc_bonez Trainee Engineer

A little shorter, nicer and neatlier arranged:

PRO's:
    - The sound, everything is better about it!
    - Wheels are totally doing what they're supposed to do.
    - Glass
    - Explosions
    - All Particles, great stuff
    - Various 3D Models
    - Rifle Precision
    - Turrets stopped shooting bodies!
    - Loading time decreased

CON's:

- The illumination and blurring, it looks cringy and I don't like it. I turn on the flashlight and the tool I'm currently holding reflects the light so hard it hurts! You changed so much with the lightening, eye-adaption and PP at once, I can't even tell exactly what bothers me, but it's too unrealistic now.
    -> Is there a way to change the way you see in first-person, depending on whether your helmet is closed or open? That would be nice.
    - Game freezes more often. I mean it doesn't run laggy or slower, It runs fine for half a minute and then freezes for 5-10 seconds, while particles and grass keep moving.
    - Movement and Jetpack feels too fast for me now.
    - While drilling, boulders are bouncing around way too much. They're too big and there's too many of them. Caused a game crash once.
    - Dark Ore spots disappeared... Makes Ore-Detector Ships and Rovers more interesting, but is also way too hard if you start from scratch on a planet.
    - Spiders don't attack me. The burry and unburry and that's all they do.

28. Lé Grand Sárrazin Apprentice Engineer

1. I think you're thinking about this too hard, SE doesn't follow all the rules of physics, it's just an approximation.
    2. I was only using the simplest explanation I could, and the fastest math I could find on Google.. it's really not that important..
    3. No, I can do simple observations, such as my ship is 889Mkg, or 889Gg as you so say, cause everyone uses Gigagrams in their parlance. And whether I used modded or vanilla rockets, yes I tested both, shocker, I averaged a 3m/s impulse if hit head-on. More-so if modded. If hit at an angle, it imparts sharp angular momentum and I spin Very hard in that direction, even with a dozen modded UltraGyros. After a few dozen salvos, even with full dampeners I am accelerated to 100m/s, unable to stop..
    3. I will concede my math was way off, used N, instead of Nm, my bad. 2667000000N*3m=8001000000Nm=Total energy in 1.91t/tnt. Much smaller than the somehow 272kt I had surely, but in space explosives don't work the same as in atmo. Most of force of the blast will be lost in space. Evidently, chemical explosives don't work very well in space, due to the fact that their damage is owed to the compression of air before the shockwave, which is not present in space. Nuclear weapons are the most effectual type of explosive in space, but also impart little actual force as a % of total yield, again due to a lack of atmosphere/resistance. The greatest portion of damage from a nuclear weapon would be ablative, and internal stress from contact shocks. Therefore, even a very powerful nuclear device may only accelerate an 889Mkg object 3m/s. Calculating yield, and effect is very complex, especially in space, owing to the many possible variables involved. But, really.. it's just a game.. it's not that big a deal really... My only point is, as is, missile impulse is RIDICULOUS.
    4. For someone new, calling someone who's been playing SE for three years 'confused' about their ship's weight is pretentious at the very least.
    5. Or just keep coming off like a complete dick. You're doing very well for yourself so far, pal!

Cheers!!

29. Cetric Junior Engineer

Depends on the strength of the respective video card. I have a Nvidia 690, which apparently counts as same generation (from 2012) as the 630, but is worlds apart, with its two cores, in fact two 680's put on one panel. And doing well in games of 2017.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

You are correct about the incorrect use of the units but we will use the right ones when Keen does and stops showing ship mass as 30,000,000 kg. It is also difficult to be confused about ship mass when it is listed in the Info tab and the right hand side of the UI.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.