Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.186 - Major Overhaul of Visuals, Audio and Wheels

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

I'm running 2 EVGA GTX 960s in SLI and it's still giving me grief. believe me dude it's not just older cards that got the short end of the stick this go around. Thankfully Keen can fix it, the only thing that sucks is the waiting.

First I'll tell you what I told the other guy, take the first available jump drive back to reality off that high horse for a moment as it's clear you've not been paying attention to anything anyone has said to this point. Metal shines, but only to a point. Light doesn't normally reflect that bad off of painted metal unless there's a gloss or clear coat type of paint added to it. Even then it still doesn't look like you're staring at the surface of the sun like we have now. In fact go back to my post on page 4 here and look at the screenshots I posted. I'm not running a cheap rig and it's been giving me grief even, and there are folks here who have an even stronger rig than mine that have been effected negatively. Also look at the rocket pods on the fighters I posted. You can't honestly tell me with a straight face that those rocket pods look better now I would hope. Before hand you can actually tell it's a weapon. Now however they look like a painted block of metal with a lego stuck to the end to look like it has barrels. If you like it the way it is then more power to you.

As for light and how stuff works, it also shouldn't look like my character is nearly legally blind unless I'm 2 feet in front of something either. That also still doesn't account for the issues in terms of performance folks have encountered either. You need to step back for a minute and look at the bigger picture. There was alot of good with this update for sure, but alot more that needs to be polished.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

ok :) as awesome as it is to be able to safely race around race lands driving between the trees that wielder flame is pretty Dope.
    same with the angle grinder sparks. just as awesome.
    I'm very impressed i came back just to test wheels and things look prettier and the wheels handle perfectly.
    I'm a little bit confused with those giant rocks that appear while mining....glad they don't collide with the player because chances are they'd instantly kill the player with the speed they seem to rack up just pushing against each other.
    for now "Automatic Ore Pickup" helps collect the actual rocks

3. Dr. Novikov Apprentice Engineer

Warning! Unpopular opinion here. Removing of dark ore spots is probably one of the best things that happened to the game. Here is why:

1. Looking for ore becomes more than just flying from one spot to another with a detector.
    2. Driving rovers with ore detectors makes sense now.
    3. Information on ore locations becomes valuable on multiplayer servers.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Oh yeah, i sort of gathered the ore spots being gone now, but that makes it indeed more interesting. It was too easy up till now.

5. BloodThunder Trainee Engineer

Loving the new update!

I really hope that we see a bugfix tomorrow.

6. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

If this is true (I haven't tried planets since the update), then I agree. Definitely a good change. :)

7. NightReaper Trainee Engineer

Love this update, been waiting for these new wheels for so damned long. Planets finally make sense now that I can build practical land based vehicles, time for miners, cargo trucks and other CAT themed machinery all over the place, so excited :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

its a good feeling. I too have been waiting for wheels since the fancy block update.
    last night i tried to swerve between two trees and crashed into one....handling too good im not used to this! :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gordon861 Apprentice Engineer

All this is fine so long as something else is added to allow people to find ore rather than driving around with a scanner that has 50m range when a lot of the ores are found at around the 50m mark unless you are directly above and close to the ground.

We need some for of triangulation/prospecting tool to locate ore spots, and listening to Xoc's stream when this launched I got the impression that the dark spots were due to be removed but 'not yet', which sort of implies that a balance should be forthcoming later.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Lol he thinks SE obeys all physical laws. How cute :woot:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Pennywise Apprentice Engineer

I would make the ore search an even more complicated process than just flyby with detector while seeing the exact location of deposit.
    And some ore depos must be 1-2 km deep. This is supposed to make you build mines, not just dig down with a shipdrill.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

sounds good, sounds like a challenge a reason to do something.

even though i just imagine making a subterranean flying miner and basically living underground digging around.
    done that with a gravel to ore machine. not a bad living until you accidentally accelerate too fast or forget your facing and accelerate from gravity into a wall. or rotate too fast and lose a chunk.

13. Slywolf117 Trainee Engineer

Vanilla servers, still no fix for performance issue warnings/connection warnings when nothing is wrong, every 2 seconds. Modded servers, forget it. You need to optimize your game still before you keep adding in new crap.

14. Dabombinable Trainee Engineer

I actually screwed up my rover (didn't have the nickel for its battery), so now I'm having to walk around with my hand drill to find it. And surprisingly enough its not that difficult to find ores with the hand drill.

What is your server running on? Because my computer has no problems handling a dedicated server with mods+running the game.
    Rig:
    • i7 4790K (turbo disabled-CPU usage so low that it doesn't even hit 4GHz most of the time)
    • 12GB DDR3 1400MHz
    • GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    • OCZ Vertex 460A
    Graphics settings:
    [​IMG]

Mod list:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1106119237

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  15. Azriel82 Trainee Engineer

Hello,

I'm relatively new to Space Engineers, but I've been enjoying it a lot and I am truly hooked. I think the game has a lot of promise and I can't wait to see a polished finished version of the game.

That being said, I feel the need to say that I don't like the new visuals and graphics of the most recent update, 1.86.
    The lighting is very strong, everything is either insanely bright or completely dark.
    Even with post-processing off the lighting is weird, the spotlights especially are bizarre, they're now solid cones that are opaque to everything except windows, so that you can see a cockpits windows suspended in a cone of toxic fog, but not the cockpit, or anything else.
    The change to the texture is upsetting, it has all these very disruptive back and white lines all over the metal armor which makes it look like ugly scrape metal; if this was your intention, well done, but I find it very ugly. I like the original texture much more.
    The color palette changed and so did the color of all my ships, some of them many shades darker; a light tan ship became an very dark black.
    The shine to the metal is also very strong, I agree that metal should shine some, but not that much. IRL, cars are made of metal, but they don't blind you when you look at them.
    Also, the earth-planet now looks like a lumpy dirt clog floating in a soapy bubble, instead of like a majestic giant suspended in the void

I'm aware that all of my complaints so far are aesthetic ones and are therefore very subjective and everybody has different standards of beauty and opinions of what things should look like, and I respect that. I'm saying these things not to offend but out of my love for this game.

But, damn, it look ugly now!

I liked the way it look before in 1.85, I thought it was beautiful already, the last thing I wanted was a huge aesthetic change. Did anyone else ask for this?

Sincerely,

A Gamer

P.S. My moon base was built on an ice lake inside a crater. The new update turned all that beautiful ice into ugly grey rock. WTF Keen?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. gordon861 Apprentice Engineer

OK I found a new 'feature' jump and skid across the floor -

• Late Late x 2
  17. ViroMan Senior Engineer

If your doing that in low to no gravity... that is actually pretty old. I found that out like 6-8 updates ago. It is even possible to shoot off of the platform at 20ms if the gravity gen is in the right place to fall off to zero at the very edge of the block... Well back then it did... I don't know if it still will but, if your able to pull of that bug in the way I am thinking you are then there is a good chance I think the other one works too.

18. Spets Master Engineer

last time I checked real life stuff, metal things that you apply paint on it, does not shine like here in SE... unless you use special metallic paint
    edit: I agree, for more options like Matte paint, glossiness and stuff

19. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

ImpresiveI update! Now game will handle most of wheel handling. Most of scripts ive been using to keep rover on track are obsoleted or useless. But anyway, great update, I'll check it out when I'll have time.

20. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

hopefully the next update takes care of some of the giant resource usage spikes that have taken place as result of this update. gotten to the point its virtually unplayable due to the resource usage increases alone.

21. gordon861 Apprentice Engineer

It's on the Earthlike planet so 1G.

22. CanOmer Junior Engineer

• Like Like x 5
  23. boromir Apprentice Engineer

Awesome update, Keen. Just want to throw this out there, I'm not having an issue with the palette change, texture, and brightness. It looks like metal panels now where before they all looked plastic. I used to refer to the outer hull as blocks but now I'm finding I'm calling them panels. Even when my helmet lights are shining on the armor 2 feet away it's not that bad - certainly not blinding. The dark grey I was using turned almost black but that's ok. At least they don't give off their own glow anymore: dark spaces are actually dark - love that. The metallic shine is.... shiny. I don't see a problem with it. Really like the reflection effect in the windows.

The only problem I'm having is my 13,000+ block ship build is pushing me away from it, sometimes even teleporting me away from it 10-100m away when I'm trying to build the hull. I'm on Earth Easy station. Sometimes when I build a long array of blocks on the ship other blocks nearby give off a big brown cloud of gas and there's a hissing sound. But most of the time it's difficult to get close in jetpack mode without it pushing me away from it. I'm also jumping around with the jetpack on without using the navigational controls.

More specifically, the longer I build in a single session, the more it pushes me away from it. This wasn't happening in 1.185. After adding about 20 panels, it starts pushing me away.

DS, no mods

24. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I wish that we could see the visor raise and lower from first person perspective, not only third person.. just like, see the glass move up and down.. if that makes sense?

When will we be able to reload player held weapons :woot:

Also, I feel like the player held weapons do too much deformation damage to large armor blocks, it would be better if it did not deform large armor blocks so much.

25. CanOmer Junior Engineer

Elite Automatic Rifle can totally destroy small light armor block with one bullet and small heavy armor block and blast door block with two bullets.

26. Masked Death Apprentice Engineer

Is the music from the update video available anywhere? It reminds me of Two Steps From Hell, sounds amazing.

27. Asylumdown Trainee Engineer

Unless something changed and I don’t know about it, Space Engineers doesn’t support SLI connections. I’ve got two 1080’s and when I tried running SE with the SLI enabled I got all sorts of horrible, game breaking visual issues. The most annoying was this awful strobing where there should have been particle effects that made me feel like I was going to have a seizure. Problems went away entirely when I disabled the SLI.

That was at least 6 months ago so maybe something has changed, but I haven’t seen anything in the patch notes to that effect

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. darth_crunchus Apprentice Engineer

Hey, I'm rockin' a Radeon R9 270X (2GB), and the game plays pretty well. Don't count old cards out just yet lol

29. Super_Happy_Alien Apprentice Engineer

Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon R7 200 Series 2Gb here and run okish on Med setting

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Cetric Junior Engineer

Opposite is true. My simspeed increased with this update. Or you may have not yet compatible mods which are slowing you down.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.