Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.186 - Major Overhaul of Visuals, Audio and Wheels

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

Simspeed is up for me as well, but so is CPU, Ram, and GPU usage. Ram usage went from 6 gigs to over 14 which is more than double. CPU went from around 20% to 55%+ in some instances, and nearly maxes out my GPU if I try to so much as move. Only mod I've used was the Energy Shields mod. The mod was disabled when the update came out and even then there was no effect on these numbers. Even games like Tom Clancy's The Division don't use that many resources on my rig, and that's at max graphics. SE is eating those resources with nothing above medium. Only change has been this update.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thales M. Junior Engineer

Yes, performance impact is quite big, I opened a feedback thread for it: https://forums.keenswh.com/threads/major-update-1-186-performance-impact.7399791/

3. bloodline8308 Trainee Engineer

any change in this happening to you?

4. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

I'm late to this particular party since the patch today but the problem with removing the dark spots is that there is no real alternative at the moment to detect ore beside drive/fly around randomly and hope the ore is within 50m and if it is one of the subsurface ice patches on Mars-like you are looking for you are shafted because they do not show on the detector.

Removing the patches would be great for the reasons you list but there has to be an improvement to ore detection (not just increasing the range) to go with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kgober Trainee Engineer

I've been thinking about the new welding torch behavior (torch stays lit even if block has reached 100% or you have run out of components) and while I understand that it may be working as intended, I think after playing a few days that intending this behavior was a mistake.

The reason I think it's a mistake is because it takes the player's attention away from the visuals, and makes them look at the progress window in the corner of their screen instead. I've been building a base in an asteroid for a few weeks now, and frequently I find myself needing to weld large numbers of blocks (building landing platforms, etc.). It does not matter how pretty the new welder visuals are because I never see them. When welding, my attention is focused entirely on the progress window, and when I see it reach 100% I tap the W key until it goes down to 0%, then I pause while it counts up to 100%, rinse and repeat... Every few blocks I have to pause and make sure I'm still positioned properly (not going off-course due to not watching where I'm going).

All the work that went into the new visual effects for welding were for nothing because I no longer have any reason to look at the visuals, because the visuals do not give me information I need -- notably "Is the block I'm welding done yet?". To make things worse, at the same time the new visuals were added, the old audio cues that welding was done were removed. So I cannot even listen for that distinctive 'clang' sound to indicate that a block is done.

If you are going to keep the new behavior then you need to add new visual and audio cues so you know (a) if the block you are welding is done and (b) if progress is halted because you have run out of a component (like Steel Plates). Otherwise player attention will be diverted away from the crosshairs and onto the progress window instead.

Also related to welding, the new jetpack speed makes welding harder because you have to be positioned at exactly the right distance -- not too far and not too close. And it is ten times worse when building in Survival mode from a projected blueprint, because the distance you need to be to add a block (far) is generally different than the distance you need to weld it (near), and the distance between acceptable mininum and maximum add-block distance is very small and easy to overshoot with the new very-strong jetpack. Building a small ship from a blueprint is very much a chore of precise positioning now and I was sorely tempted to just ditch the blueprint entirely and build from scratch.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Dr. Novikov Apprentice Engineer

Is it really THAT difficult to do some test drilling for subsurface ice? I am probably too old, but back in my days people used to solve problems, not look for magical dark spots.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. kgober Trainee Engineer

When I was new to the game and didn't know about ore detectors I actually did this, I would just blindly dig a tunnel and see if I hit anything (I never did). I later came to regret this practice greatly, as it left holes around my base that were very bad news for wheeled vehicles.

I would actually be fine with the idea of test drilling if there were a way to refill the holes that ended up going nowhere. I'd love to be able to fill a hole I no longer want with gravel. Or better yet, concrete, even if that means needing ice as well as gravel.

Edit: Regarding Mars, I have never actually landed there (I am playing on the Solar System map and started on Earth's surface) but I have gotten as far as building a base in an asteroid near Mars, which I plan to use as a launching point for surface expeditions. The asteroid I chose for my base is positioned over one of the ice caps, which I am assuming will make it easy to find ice when I eventually go to the surface. Landing on an ice cap seems a lot easier than test-drilling looking for ice. Work smarter, not harder!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  8. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

do YOU want to walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m, walk 5m drill down 5m... got the point? If I want to play digging simulator 2018 I will crank up Life is Feudal :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  9. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

I'd be happy with an ore detector that just gave a hotter/colder indication, without telling me the specific ore and its GPs coordinates.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

That would be a perfect way of doing it.

11. sadpickle Trainee Engineer

I find the new welding system excessively annoying. It is without a doubt game-altering if not game-breaking for me. I have spent several hours using it and I can say it is totally inferior to the old style. I play survival with 10x inventory, so I do a lot of hand welding as do many players; please realize I say none of this lightly.

Before, when welding a block, it was easy to tell by looking at the block and the way left-clicking the welder on it would interact, to determine if the block was fully assembled/repaired, or if you were missing component(s). It felt good to weld, and I honestly didn't care about stuff like my tool clipping into the block. It played well.

Now, when I am welding things, I spend more than half of my time staring at a stupid list of components, while navigating the environment from the corner of my eye. I'm spending LESS time looking at the (frankly quite ugly now) environment, less time looking at the block and welder, and more time staring at this list, waiting for a component shortage while welding using my peripherals. Why am I doing this? Because context has been lost from welding a block. I can sit there with my (probably erroneous in a vacuum) welding flame and unless I refer to the list of components, I have no way of telling from block and tool interaction if the block is done, or if I need components.

That's a lot of words to say that this new system is awful. Awful. If Marek Rosa and the SE team really want to make the game "feel good to play" then they need to re-instate context sensitive tool behavior to welding. Welding does not "feel so satisfying". It is now an enormous bore and a cause of eye strain. I really cannot overstate how bad it is right now. These fancy new welding visuals are pointless if I'm not looking at the welder!

That being said, broadly speaking, while the quality of the physics do feel improved, the new visuals and changes to welding are so overwhelmingly bad and a serious downgrade from what we had before, that I cannot say much good about this update. I was excited to play with the shiny new label on the box, but now I've put in some time and I don't feel rewarded. This game needs to be fun to play. Realism is not important to gameplay. Real life concepts need to be aggressively simplified to make them fun in a game context.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dr. Novikov Apprentice Engineer

OMG people playing easy mode with 10X inventory are outraged the game is not even easier?
    --- Automerge ---
    Nah, I just want everything to be dumbed down and die like Planetside 2 or Robocraft.

13. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Actually play on a modded game with x10 personal inventory but vehicles have x1 and a modded small grid dropship so only have a cockpit, battery (no reactor), oxygen generator, 10k ice and the starting tools. The dropship comes down by parachute so I don't start with engines either. I started that way as an experiment to see if you can survive and build up reliant on the in-game pods that drop and found it way more fun than starting in the vanilla lander with everything you need.

Removing ore spots without improving the functionality of the ore detector does NOT add difficulty to the game, it adds tedium.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Dr. Novikov Apprentice Engineer

Games like this one are about management and removing "tedium" by planning and execution. Not by having magical spots that show you where ore is. Everything can be called "tedium". Mining? "Tedium"! Hauling? "Tedium"! Refining? "Tedium". Production? "Tedium". Need to reload weapons? "Tedium". Need to find damaged parts and repair? "Tedium". Need to produce oxygen and refill? "Tedium". It's "tedium" what makes great survival games. It makes players take into consideration the amount of time and effort invested into building and maintaining vehicles and bases.

IRL ore locations are valuable information. You know why? Because it takes time and effort to find them. Without magical ore spots ore locations can be valuable in Space Engineers too. Oh wait, we can't have good things in the game, because in 2018 some people call them "tedium".

15. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

IRL ore locations can be determined by geological signs on the surface, a particular ore will most likely be found in a particular area based on surface geology. Find plantlife in a desert there is going to be subsurface water. Until SE can have the level of detail required to accurately simulate those conditions those real life surface indicators are represented by the "magic" dark spots and "magic" devices such as ore detectors.

16. Thales M. Junior Engineer

Eye adaptation in 3rd person: Good

[​IMG]

Eye adaptation in 1st person: Dark
    [​IMG]

Eye adaptation in 1st person with lights on: Very Dark
    [​IMG]

So, what can be done about this?

17. darth_crunchus Apprentice Engineer

While I do agree with that to some point, I think like with some other features, if they do implement this, it should be as an option, not a default; there are metal detectors that can tell you exactly what you're scanning (admittedly, not from 150m, but the concept is somewhat sound). <edit> The could use some kind of ground penetrating radar with density analysis, though.</edit> But, I guess the fact remains that not everyone wants to be surprised (or disappointed) by what they find. And besides, having the rangefinder function is still useful when prospecting asteroids. Not that y'all's thing is a bad idea, of course; it would definitely add more challenge to the game, which is never a bad thing.

18. Code Panda Trainee Engineer

I have to ask, who created the ship crashing down in the trailer? Nice job with the update btw! :)

19. -Daedalus Trainee Engineer

Apologies if it was asked already - had a look through, but it's a long thread - but can anyone link or name the blue ship and station in the trailer?

20. UrbanLegend Apprentice Engineer

I have a really big space ship and before the update running around inside it felt laggy. Now it does not. Not scientific, I know.

21. Silvrav Trainee Engineer

ok so we started a fresh game on our server and hats off to Keen...wheels working nicely and sim speeds seems to have increased ...

Now....when will the other things get fixed...the constant TP issues, falling through he grind and the bounciness when you have pistons and rotors in MP?

22. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

its also a bit silly how big the explosion is if you place a 1 steel plate armor block then shoot it. pretty cool big a bit oversized. :p
    likewise to the pods i enjoy shooting to pieces after i strip it of the useful parts and change at a skin.
    ....i keep getting leopard pattern..pretty snazzy i like the gold detailing.
    [​IMG]

23. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

If I knew it was possible to do, and didn't have such a backlog of fun games to play, I might dust off my modding experience and try to do it. But...meh. Back to Subnautica, 7 Days to Die, Factorio, Autonauts....

24. EstebanLB Trainee Engineer

And still no velocity vector indicator when flying a ship o flying on space with jectpack

• Late Late x 1
  25. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

Of course there is... They even made 2 indicators... First on hud gravity horison, there is cross that indicates your movement vector. Second only in space there are particles for reference point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. PH0ENIX Trainee Engineer

This is kind of small and no one really cared about it but I enjoyed. On Easy Start, did they take away the physics of the SPAT mining thing that is close to the base? In creative I used to take out the bottom and the entire thing would fall down a hill, wont let me do that now. This a fix?

27. sadpickle Trainee Engineer

You may enjoy pointless busywork and bean-counting your inventory. I don't, I'm here to play a game.

"Engineer a solution" is not a valid response. Building a small ship by hand is quite common, encouraged even by the low component cost of small blocks, and the Ship Welder has been nerfed into uselessness anyway.

28. Dabombinable Trainee Engineer

The game is acting like unsupported stations is permanently enabled. You have to set the grid from station to ship now.

Well there is always the option to use mods or tweak settings through the .ini. And engineering a solution is a valid response when Keen isn't designing the game to hold your hand the way some other sandbox games do. People don't stick around if a game isn't challenging (note: not hard, challenging). And smallship welders are still extremely useful. You simply just have to use a few brain cells to plan ahead so that you don't end up missing some crucial blocks while your welding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Flippybear Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  30. Peter ferrow Trainee Engineer

Fix welders unnerf them for the love of all that is clang, because trying to weld blocks/components inside projections is impossible. ESPECIALLY on small grid projections.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.