Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.186 - Major Overhaul of Visuals, Audio and Wheels

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 2, 2018.

1. FoolishOwl Apprentice Engineer

Wait, why would there be blurriness at all? That's one of the things about space: no atmospheric distortion.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. CanOmer Junior Engineer

2x1x1 armor blocks don't have proper texture since they were added to the game I remember. Also they have not edges, not now, not before.
    First set of armor blocks don't have these two problems.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. K Man Trainee Engineer

Do you have your space helmet on?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Gatekepp3r Trainee Engineer

Yeah, the video update is just mind-blowing, good job on that, Keen!

That being said, for me the game looks worse than it used to be. Everything is so shiny it's painful to look at anything at all! Voxels, armour, control seats' monitors, you name it. LCDs, though, are dark and dull, it's almost impossible to read anything.

The game also is blurry af now. So blurry I can't read what's on an LCD that's placed right in front of a small ship cockpit. Too many effects. Speaking of which, shame you can't disable certain effects you don't like (vignette, for example, hate it), as the only way is to disable all the effects including fantastic particles (especially grinder sparks, man, this thing is LIT). And without them everything is just too sharp and instead of sparks and sunrays you get ms-paint-pencil noodles. The skybox is bad, just bad. But still, I've always found vanilla skyboxes ugly, so no big deal for me, nothing a modded skybox can't fix.

But the most disappointing thing is colours. They completely destroyed my base and ships for me. What used to be sort of burgundy is now black, what used to be grey is now black, what used to be dusty blue is now black and what used to be green is now also black. You can distinguish the colours only if you look very closely with a flashlight.

As for the lighting, well, it's the same crappy adaptive thing or whatever it's called that was before, but now it's been improved. Caves and dark areas are still lit when you hide there from the sun, but only for a much shorter amount of time. Interior lights are still blinking, even more aggressively for me. They are also darker and less intense, but this is happening all the time when a lighting fix or overhaul comes out, so again no big deal, just a pain in the ass to tweak everything to look more or less decent.

The audio overhaul, on the contrary, is awesome! I like new sounds, they really feel immersive, especially the walking sounds and thruster sounds (although I found them a little bit too loud at first). But the HUD lady didn't appear for me (I tried to get 'Inventory full' but no luck).

Haven't tested wheels yet, I use them very rarely, so I don't really know.

So, in general, the visual part of the update is very disappointing. Looks good in the trailer, but in the game it's horrible and really painful to look at. Add do that flashing interior lights and you've got yourself a pokemon porygon episode kind of pain. No, seriously, I guess it can even cause epileptic seizure.
    The audio part is brilliant, though, real "triple-A shit".

P.S. Sorry for a long post, seems like I really got hyped about the update.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. CanOmer Junior Engineer

How is performance better? How do you test it? CPU usage is now increased considerably and CPU is always the bottleneck of Space Engineers. That's not good.

6. CanOmer Junior Engineer

7. Sergeant sarge staff Trainee Engineer

im getting a problem were on a world created before the update my jet pack worked fine now i cant go up unless at a 45 degree angle

8. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Did you hire JJ Abrams for the graphical effects? I had to turn off post processing to get rid of some of the awful effects, bloom I can adjust with the in-game slider. The skybox...did whoever made that skybox ever look at the Space Got Real skybox? In space the sun looks like something from 1984 Elite with extra spikey bits.

i am hoping they fix Space Got Real soon and I can go back to that and forget this new skybox again.

That said:

Wheel Changes: Excellent, I threw a buggy together and it worked perfectly until I rolled it but that was my driving way too fast while turning a 5000kg vehicle on standard suspension settings with no gyros. I have no doubt taking my time to properly balance it and adjust the suspension will make it work.
    Debris/Particle/Explosion effects: Excellent
    New Colour Palette: Good, the "defaults" button is far enough away now that I cant hit it by accident and reset all my custom colours.
    New Jetpack speeds: I manage to shove my engineers kneecaps up his backside by hitting C too quickly from about 5m. I can't see why there was a need to increase the acceleration but whatever, I will soon get used to it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Pharap Apprentice Engineer

I haven't got time to try out all the new stuff at the minute, but my first impression is that I'm not a fan of the bloom - it hurts my eyes.
    Combined with all the other post processing stuff it makes the game look like it's set underwater rather than in space.
    It might look nice and cinematic for stills or scripted videos, but it's not very nice for actually playing in.

10. Thrak Apprentice Engineer

Exactly. As others have observed, it would be best to be able to control all of the PostProcessing functions individually. It's particularly an issue with the Space Just Got Real mod:

Unfortunately, Space Just Got Real now crushes LCD text to the point it is almost unreadable at less than 100% font size.

All told, it seems like a solid update, and I am content to do some repainting (my favorite orange color is now a dark bloodfruit, for example). No doubt mod makers will be busy adjusting for all of this. As an aside, I think the Glowing Nebula skybox mod (or it's lighter variant) may be my new go-to for the time being. Not a fan of Keen's new, over-cooked peas vanilla version.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=368322953&searchtext=skybox+glowing

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Krougal Senior Engineer

Here I thought the game wasn't going to get much better, but it probably couldn't get worse.
    Annnnd they proved me wrong once again.
    Please fire the artists. Every last one of them.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  12. SpaceFox Trainee Engineer

I haven't posted in this forum for a long while but i can't sit quiet for this.

I am disappointed on the visual updates. Its like the camera lens is greased up and all blocks have a layer of grease on them too. Please add more graphical settings so I can turn my game back to the way it was before and because these visuals is breaking my inspiration to create and motivation to play while it look like this.

This is making me sad to look at. its like a dystopian, colorless planet with no life on.
    [​IMG]
    Vibrant and beautiful blue orb that you can be proud to have in the background of your screenshots
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. masterzh Trainee Engineer

from blogpost:
    While i understand that "postprocessing" is still a "visual" change why the f* are you marketing this as huge overhaul like you switched engine or improved it by more then few minor fixes? 95% of "visual overhaul" on your list are either post processing effects, changed textures or fixed minor features. I am very happy about them but PLEASE DONT CALL IT VISUAL OVERHAUL.

What exactly is this:
    ???

For anyone interested why the trailer look better then whats in-game i suggest to visit the blog-page or read below...
    [​IMG]
    from http://blog.marekrosa.org/2018/02/overhaul-visuals-audio-wheels.html

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Thrak Apprentice Engineer

To be fair, some of the changes look good. I'd give the artists a pass. However, someone should write a stern letter to Marek's optometrist.

As a general public service announcement, you can turn off much of the new dazzle by going to Options > Graphics and unchecking "Enable PostProcessing."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Sarekh Junior Engineer

oh come on, good sir. fire the artists, seriously? There's a whole group of people working on this game you paid for once. There will be tweaks to this update. There will be changes. As if any one single update had not been improved at later stages somehow. As if there was not a creative director sitting somewhere above the artists. As if you would go to their faces (after how many hours of Space Engineers?) and tell them: "Me don't like the stuff you made under orders, you should lose your livelihood." - you may not like that update. That does not entitle you to forget that there are humans on the receiving end of your online commenting.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pharap Apprentice Engineer

I've had the tab sitting open for a while and forgot to update it before posting my thoughts.
    I can see now I'm not the only one (and I'm thankful I'm not).

Normally I'm defending Keen (and I probably will be when I have chance to test the wheels) but even modless the post-processing is, frankly, a mess.

17. darth_crunchus Apprentice Engineer

As usual, people making mountains out of molehills...

18. CanOmer Junior Engineer

Spotlight's light ray should be transparent. I can't see behind of it.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. Krougal Senior Engineer

I couldn't tell, because everything is so blurry and the lighting is so bad. The game at least looked pretty decent prior (and with a few mods).
    All I did was fire up space easy start, no mods. There may be improvements on planet (which it seems the devs haven't left a planet to check anything since they were added to the game), but in space it is beyond terrible. It's been pretty widely speculated for some time that Marek is legally blind.

20. Anubis 2 Trainee Engineer

Keen i'm here to announce that the splendid graphics update pleases me, as for the wheels issues i'm not bothered in the least as i like to fly.

21. Audiacious Trainee Engineer

Were there any fixes to rotors and pistons in MP? I didnt see any unfortunately.

22. Skyhawk6991 Trainee Engineer

Its great they fixed the wheels and all but, had go back a patch so I could play the game. The combination for blurriness and chrome type reflection on objects just gives me a headache in seconds. Keen if you add blurriness you need an option to disable it. All games I play i have to disable motion blur to not get sick from it. Also, I liked how armor looked before the patch, this not so much. I would have to say this patch caused more problems than fixed. I wont give space engineers a bad review on steam like most people will over this. Just letting Keen know I dont like the change. :?

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. ToastiMan Trainee Engineer

So I made an Account just for this.

This Update is horrible.

First of all, what is wrong with that Skybox? How did anyone ever think that that's good looking? No. Just No.
    What's with that grey space-smog? Why does everything have the taint of distasteful-vegetable-smoothy?
    And I even tried to download that mod where you would have the skybox before 1.186 and surprise, it fucks your whole game up. Being on Earth roasts your Eyes.

Like others said before, those shiny metallic armor blocks look awful. It looks like the space-smog turned into a space-rainstorm and now everything is soggy. Same for the new textures. Bad design choices.

Those darker spots on Earth which would indicate to you, that ore might be below them are gone. Don't know if that's supposed to be. Makes it horrible to find resources.

Performance is garbage, before that update i had around 100-120fps and now i'm below 60.

I really hope someone looks at those things. I already tried to downgrade my game and keep on playing but the game wont me load my safegame with about 100+ hours anymore, so yeah, i think i might be forced to stop playing.. Which is what makes me mad the most.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Anubis 2 Trainee Engineer

yeah the blur is a bit overwhelming but smoke and particle effects are amazing I do like the new block looks it pleases me.

25. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Go into your graphic options and you can turn Post Processing Effects off. That removes a load of the new effects. It would be nice to be able to turn them off individually but at least we can turn them off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Give that man a cigar. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Lynnux Junior Engineer

"Later" took already place, the interfaces for damping and steering speeds have already been removed => scripts broken.
    The strength is reset to 10%. This may be a little bit low for some objects already in a world...
    Otherwise the wheels are better now, especially grip in turns. Flipping in curves is possible but doesn't happen fast => can be prevented.

Would be nice to be able to switch the blur in the corners off. This sometimes looks inappropriate. And the sunlight with the lens flare is sometimes reflecting too bright when watching objects from certain angles causing a slight fog.

29. chrisb Senior Engineer

PP = Blurry.. Always has.

Some players like PP, some don't, I never use it in games, it just takes away the sharpness of anything.
    Like an old early 70's romantic song video, walking through a field of flowers with the young couple hand in hand in a blurry washed out scene that reminds me of a drunken night out, sorry, I mean the morning after, of course.

30. Jikanta Apprentice Engineer

Maybe it's cause I'm not a picky person but I REALLY like this update. The damage particles are fantastic and even though extreme quality for voxels and models are not intended for real-time gameplay, that's my favorite setting