Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.186 - Major Overhaul of Visuals, Audio and Wheels

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

All of my utility craft have at least one projector with the combat craft having at least 2. So to answer the question yes there were projectors present. Whether the projector is off or on it's done this for quite awhile for me. it didn't use to do this and it only does this with cockpits. Other control chairs and such are uneffected.

2. Caatalyst Apprentice Engineer

What a big update!

I've only managed to get a quick test run but I have to say the new audio and visuals are amazing. It's clear a lot of hard work and effort has gone in by the team and they have done a fantastic job.

With that said I've got to be honest... I'm pretty disappointed with the update. Not because of the lack of content or quality of it, but because lets face it... this isn't the update the player base has clearly been asking for. The game did already look great, if not the best looking voxel crafting game on the market. I've been playing since the launch of planets with hundreds of hours in the game building... building for that sweet golden multiplayer / survival update where I got to take my creations out and interact with others. The keywords from the community as far as I can tell for the future of SE have been survival and multiplayer, yet the devs never talk about it.

This just makes me feel like the developers are completely disconnected from their player base. The vast majority of gaming buddies I have own this game and will in the blink of an eye come back when the actual 'game' content lands. I've seen over and over across both the steam and SE forums the same questions about multiplayer and survival actually get overhauled. If only the dev's could respond and tell us what their plans are then maybe everyone will just back off and leave it. While the trailer was absolutely fantastic to watch, In the end it felt more like it was a laugh in the faces of the multiplayer survival folks. Showing loads of players and massive ships engaged in combat and then at the end only to reveal it was made using a new sandbox tool for single player... nice. On top of us getting this immersion overhaul, they are going to be tweaking and bug fixing it for months before they move onto the next update.

At this point, I for one really want to hear from Keen. I watched as much of the live stream and Joel's after party stream as I could and I felt like it was watching the shady politicians of today avoiding answering the big questions of multiplayer and survival. For Joel to stutter and stumble on his words and finally say "We are aware of the interest" when somebody just asked simply "Will there be anymore work put into the campaign?" is just pretty crappy. Come on guys, just tell us you're working on or if it's just not happening. You teased us introducing a survival mode, you teased us introducing monsters, you teased us introducing tiered tools and assault rifle. I don't believe for one minute that you guys don't have a road map. That's all we want to know. Roadmap to final release will put this all to rest.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Spets Master Engineer

EPIC trailer! Amazing Job Keen.
    I like the update... the new particles, sound, wheels, graphics, sound, armor tweaks, the new control seat, etc

not the bloom and chromatic aberration tho... :?

• Like Like x 2
  4. PLJ Trainee Engineer

Please ... walking is now running, and that jetpack is realy realy overpowered ...

Give the amount of mods my game has, and the rest of the issues I encounter, I will assume those are caused by mods, and start a fresh game to try without them and see what happens then.

Sounds are really really improved .. yay for that!

Visual .. there is way too much light and shining going on ..

Thanks a lot for the update tho!

5. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Lol those aren't caused by mods. Keen increased the sprint speed to 10 m/s (from 7). For reference, Usain Bolt runs around 12 m/s...

Also they made the jetpack deceleration silly strong.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

He does that 12m/s in shorts, not an armoured space suit. The argument could be made that the suit is self articulated though that takes the movement of the engineer and enhances it (think cargo loader from Aliens).

7. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

The fact that this needs an argument to be remotely feasible makes me laugh :woot:

8. Thales M. Junior Engineer

Space suit should be wearable. And with suit player movement should be limited. This feature would make pressurized enviroment and airlocks important element of gameplay.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. PLJ Trainee Engineer

I am aware the walking isnt caused by mods. I was holding back bouncing ball rock behaviour after drilling a bit, and hud windows by mods being distorted. The first, I fear, will be new physics. The second probably my mods being outdated due to the update :p

The jetpack is just insane now .. I should not be able to deorbit in a jetpack and survive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Ye, it is amusing just as me smearing myself up the side of my base the first time I logged in post patch like Wile-e-Coyote :D Has anyone found out Keens reason for the increase in suit thrust or is it a by product of what appears to be increased thrust to all thrusters?

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. chrisb Senior Engineer

I may not have used some of the terms, although understand why players can get really frustrated. But on the whole, you've hit it on the head.

My rant:

I don't need the seat advert, every time I sit down in a seat.

Plus the look of the game has deteriorated, for me. It is now trying its hardest to be a shinny new AAA title, but failing badly. The new textures on blocks are pretty lame, if you build something and paint it, it tends to look good for quite a while. We build in this game and we’re actually building third hand stuff, I’ll correct that, it doesn’t actually look as though its aged, it just looks.. Well.. terrible..

The windows are just getting worse. In a year or so we’ll just not be able to see out of them. Shadows are a mess, as is the PP approach. Although I don’t use PP. But even I can see its worse than the usual terrible game PP.
    I can see that Marek perhaps has had a hand back in the ‘new look’, just from the window perspective.

This game is not an AAA title, it was going to be better than that, so why try to mimic something that it clearly isn’t.
    It was a really good looking sandbox game, that had great ideas. But it was, and still is in many places, ‘still’ broken.

For me, the game has taken a very wrong turn.

These two last ‘Major’ updates have been game killers. They have fixed some stuff, broken more and should not be referred to as ‘Major Update’ the correct words are ‘fixed’ things, plus broken some others…….. And perhaps, 'had a go at graphics'.. (didn’t work)

Then the ‘new look’ should get an explanation, all of its own. Why have the game trying to look like, well… whatever its trying to look like. (not good, whatever it is)

I can see amateur dev/modders all over this game, pushed along by other amateur modders/devs, probably on the testing side, if there is any testing of this stuff.

Look Marek, they can’t do the difficult stuff, so they just keep clawing over the graphics, which end up in a bad way too. Its happened to a number of games that employ from the player-base, rather than pay full money for experienced ‘game’ devs, not website makers.

Just for the sake of the players, well at least some/many of us.. Employ a game dev that has at least studied, or something, and can repair the bits that remain broken and then bring in someone who knows something about graphics, the original looked much better.
    Dump the shadows, your just failing miserably at them, its like having shadows on shadows. I know that makes no sense, but nor does the look of the game now.

Perhaps have, an 'object wear' type thing implemented, whereas it takes time for the game to look this bad..

Sorry, but it had to be said, just look at the game.

Perhaps buy better monitors there at the studios, crt is obsolete now..

Also, stop this leaning towards Nvidia, I’m using one of their cards now. But at the beginning (remember the good old years), I did use a very good ati card. The game looked good back then. I now have a little/lot more expensive card, not better, just more expensive, that now makes the game look terrible — at a price….

Your just alienating lots of players that get this Nvidia rubbish shoved down their throats, as though its something great… It isn’t..
    I’ve used all of the various types over the years, they all have good and bad points. But at the end, whatever card it is, needs to be fed good material to produce good graphics.
    It doesn’t really make sense to encourage players to take hugely high res pics, of a bad looking game..

I loved this game soo much, still do, but its running really thin.

Rant over.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  12. Zac Lee Trainee Engineer

Everything looks wet. You know your lighting system is sub par, why add more shiny stuff to make it even more apparent? I hope enough talented mod authors stick around long enough to add matte paint to the textures cause this is not a good art direction for the current lighting system. At the very least have texture options.

...and while I appreciate seeing more when sitting in the flight seat, why not just remove that pointless screen? it serves no purpose other than to be in the way of the HUD I want to make. (More like wanted to make because everything jitters around no matter how locked the rotors are.)

13. Ziaeon Trainee Engineer

Honestly some of ya'll should be ashamed of yourself.

Granted, as someone who has been playing the game since its inception, there are things that the devs have never provided us or fixed. Certainly not for lack of trying though, and I've a thousand hours into this game and I still get excited when patches like this come out. Some of you are straight up cringe-worthy, a lot of "not the fixes I wanted" posts. I'm happy the devs still puts effort into this game, I've gotten more for my money out of this game than most games. Entitlement is palpable here.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. bloodline8308 Trainee Engineer

since the new update i cant get past the loading screen no matter what im trying to load. mods or not.

15. PLJ Trainee Engineer

...when I come to the forum to voice my opinion, that means I have taken time out to actually look up my account, and come here. I usually do not. I love the game, but right now I'm in race-car jetpack and wondering why my rocks are bouncing harder then in break-out multi-ball.

I also just hate looking at the game atm due to everything being a shiny mess. They deserve to know that, dont you think ? What do you want me to tell them? Keep up the good work ? Would love to, but they just broke my immersion .. please do not keep that up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I hereby dub the new epoch of SE.... "The Shining."

Seriously, all of that artificial eye-glare just washes out any color or details. It doesn't make the game look better. It looks much, much worse. I have dark grey and black next to each other. Everything just looks black now. The armor looks really bad. Everything just looks horrible. I'm not sure who decided on the looks but that judgment is completely flawed. I seriously hope this wasn't one person's decree the same as spotty, blotchy glass.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Nikarampo Trainee Engineer

This is what I said at the last major update, where people kept bitching about wheels not being fixed. Turns out, I was right. Stop bitching about everything, guys. Things will get fixed eventually, just not at the priority YOU want. Things will get fixed efficiently. For example, singleplayer has to be 100% complete for a complete overhaul on multiplayer, otherwise you're just pathcing things temporarily and wasting workload on something that will get broken at the next update. Just be patient. The game has not been released yet for a reason.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  18. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

How do you expect Keen to know what to fix if all they see here on the forums are White Knights shouting "Ignore the bitchers, carry on as you are". They will, or at least should, be aware that many players think they have gone too far with the post processing effects to the point that one of the top modders has already took the time to make a mod to reduce them.

They will get round to fixing bugs indeed but if no-one says anything about new bugs they will think everything is fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  19. Ziaeon Trainee Engineer

Absolutely, you are correct. However, I'm referring to the people who are being extremely snide about their comments as if the world has ended with this patch or the devs have gone and run off with their money.

Edit: Also, as for those complaining about post-processing, there's literally one checkbox in the graphics setting that disables it all. Yet there are people here that sound like the game is literally unplayable because of the shiny. Turn it off! Ffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Thrak Apprentice Engineer

And the smear is also seen in 3rd person, in addition to when the visor is up. If the whole point of this update is to heighten immersion, this is contrary to that goal. Hope this gets corrected.

EDIT: Grammar fail....

• Agree Agree x 5
  21. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

People need to vent. They need to voice their opinions. If they feel let down by the changes... perhaps you should ask yourself WHY? You see people "bitching." I see people who are passionate about the potential of the game and have real misgivings and disappointment about a decision Keen has made. There was a lot of hype around this release. It's not being received well.

By comparison, I'm in an industry where I have a whole lot more experience and TALENT than the people reviewing my work. They have trouble simply articulating their ideas and opinions. Their comments are sometimes pretty crass and even very unflattering. You put on your big-boy pants and figure out why they had such a visceral reaction and rework your work even if you thought it was the best thing you've done all year. I'd rather people be honest and chuck an occasional stone than to sit around politely and be disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Malware Master Engineer

@Dwarf-Lord Pangolin I assume by your disagreement that you like the fact that the effect remains even with the visor open? :p

23. woostyboy Trainee Engineer

The wheels are awesome, breaking and steering, much less sliding about. Thanks. Lighting sadly for me is very over exposed. Night looks like day, day is just white. Can't determine sky from land.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. ReaperZ Trainee Engineer

Hmm, I'm split so far. The sounds are cool, but I have to be honest and say that the new textures on armor block look a bit cartoony, and don't mesh well with each other at times; creating strange "tears" in the texture where nothing fits. Either way, please bring back the more blinding spotlight flares! I really loved having bright lights, looked awesome during the night. Not the light itself but just the flare when looking directly at the spotlight. Loving the new welding flame, it's just going to be harder to detect what needs fixing, but that's a price I am willing to pay.

Also, may I suggest taking a look at the mod by "Digi" named "Aerodynamics - wing blocks for planet atmosphere"? They are a very obvious addition as parachutes were and I think they'd fit in nicely within the base game. Which engineer wouldn't like having wings to fly energy-efficiently over vast stretches of land? Unfortunately they no longer work, so it would be nice with official support as well!

Another thing we definitely need officially are small ship blocks. Windows, catwalks, vents, you name it. It would be good to have these officially supported as well. Windows are not only great for custom cockpits, but also great add-on armor for protecting cockpits, weapons or anything really. Naturally we also need more options for turrets and guns, such as cannons and maybe lasers. Especially turrets are lacking I feel, they're so large and ugly. There are mods to help with this as well. More conveyor slots for gatlings as well, all sides and the back.

25. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

These black spots on armor need to go. They look really bad on larger ships.

• Agree Agree x 6
  26. RB101 Trainee Engineer

numpad 5 causes control issues when used, which renders the game unplayable for me. gg keen... gg...

27. EvanBaxter52 Trainee Engineer

Whole color scheme of my ships is now... I don't have words to describe that. What's was gray, became black. Very black. What was white, became gray. All colors like dark red, dark green, etc., became black. When you use your headlight in the darkness- you can feel the pain in your eyes. I.. *sigh* i don't know, guys. It's not the bad update at all. But i, personally, can't call it "good".

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. PLJ Trainee Engineer

Visor up .. yet I seem to be wearing glasses or something ..

There must be some sort of fire there .. oh wait .. it's just insane shininess of a bush ....

Removing my mods did make things better in regards to speed being an issue, except that the jetpack is still way overpowered. I kinda like how outside looks, and there deffinately is a lot improved, it just looks like somebody had to much fairy dust and desperately needed a place to put it.

I read about a mod reducing the shine .. on to the workshop it is, as this is unacceptable (in the dark, in a hole, close to the rock):

Also, the bouncing rocks, they are just visual stuff and I really hate them a lot. In below pic you see a few faint rocks .. they act as if they are biljart balls before vanishing .. please .. dont.

I have the game at medium .. any advice on setting on my end to make this enjoyable again ?

29. Nikarampo Trainee Engineer

Not liking something and voicing your opinion are perfectly fine. I was mostly referring to people that saw this update and went. "oh god, keen, no one asked for this, you fucked everything up, just fix multiplayer already". Like, no, most of these things can be turned off via a single damn button on the menu, and no, keen won't fix multiplayer just because people ask for it. They will fix it when they believe their code is in a good spot to receive the change. If you paid money for a game that was released, and you were promised stuff that works, then yeah, its ok to be angry about them fixing graphics when multiplayer is still broken. But while it's in early access, its entirely up to the devs what they do with their game. Things are subject to change. Player feedback is great, but its THEIR game, their vision, and first and foremost it should fulfill their fantasies. Isn't that why being an indie studio is great?

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  30. Zac Lee Trainee Engineer

I've turned post processing off for the shining update. Can you spot the difference?

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.