Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 1.186 - Major Overhaul of Visuals, Audio and Wheels

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. quarior14 Trainee Engineer

Nice update but I have some problem.
    Modded planet for me (I just tested with my mods) doesn’t show clouds (even with vanilla clouds) but with vanilla planets is OK.
    Voxels emit don’t edit like my Stars mod or some lava texture.
    Anyone have this problem ?

Also, planned a guide with the new record system ?

2. Thrak Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, PostProcessing doesn't affect shine, only the bloom, chromatic effect, "helmet" smear, and stuff like that.

3. PLJ Trainee Engineer

Also, wolves are kinda not dangerous any longer:

The only way for it to be dangerous is when I walk right up .. as it doesnt move itself. Shuuting it made it fall through the terrain.

Turning post porcessing off doesnt really improve the shine, as noted above

More shine from space .. the dark side is oddly lit

Not sure how this is immersive

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  4. rdsden Trainee Engineer

After last update the game lags and twitches, the game is not playable! How return all back?
    My comp configuration:
    Windows10, intel core i5 4460 3,2GHz and no videocard

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Balmung Senior Engineer

Looked some minutes into the game and must also say: the Bloom is a bit too intense. Didn't look that extreme in the live stream, so it could be a bug.

But I also would love it if there is a slider, so you can setup the Blook how you like it. I like Bloom, but not that intense. ;)

Have forgotten to make a Screenshot, that would help to show Keen that Bloom problem.

6. FoolishOwl Apprentice Engineer

I just finally got a chance to start up SE, and I have to say: the complaints so far are, by and large, understatements. I was expecting a bit of blurriness on the edges of things, a bit too much bloom. I wasn't expecting *everything* to look blurry. It doesn't look like I'm in space; it looks like I'm underwater, in water thick with algae and sediment. In SE space, there's a visual effect as if I'm looking at everything through glass that's filmed with oil. You thought you improved the doors? Opening a door between two fully-pressurized areas means I'm blinded by an apparent gale for a few seconds.

I've tried disabling post-processing, as most people recommend. That cuts down on some of the blurriness a bit, but by and large, SE still looks terrible, much worse than before the update.

This isn't realistic. It isn't immersive. It isn't cinematic. And I literally felt pain from eyestrain immediately. It actually hurts to look at Space Engineers now.

Ask anyone what they notice about video of real space exploration, and they'll point out how impressively *sharp* the images are, how distinctive is the effect of the absence of atmospheric distortion. For that matter, people visiting wilderness areas, going mountain climbing, and so forth, will often comment on how *clear* the air is. And, look at what some of the most popular mods are, skyboxes and visual adjustments to make the optics sharper and clearer.

Keen, you somehow managed to do the *exact opposite* of realism, the *exact opposite* of what people have told you they want. You released the new skybox quite some time ago, and everyone hated it; even in the update announcement, you felt it necessary to point out that people could download alternative skyboxes.

I've criticized a lot of things about Space Engineers, but I've tried to come around and find things to praise now and then. But this update? It's unforgivable. Your internal development process is profoundly broken; my best guess is that most of the team is afraid to challenge any idea that comes down, good or bad.

This is literally the worst update I've ever seen to any game.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

I've not played it enough to really comment, save for two things:

Ambient light is still too bright (I am on the moon at night and for a moment I mistook the new skybox for the daytime sky!)

Eye adaptation still does not work.

I look forward to the mechanics changes, presuming they are as advertised.

But from what I've seen so far, there was a lot of visual work done that didn't result in much at all, from my few minutes of booting the game this morning it seemed mostly the same but distant objects seemed distinctly blurry. And by distant I'm talking within throwing distance of a reasonably heavy object such as a dumbbell.

I remember when DX11 first came out, it looked pretty good. I remember fondly when planets and shadows were dark. And I liked the model overhaul.

But I have, and am seeing, many complaints that have been present for years. Why is the game so damn bright? Good looking lights don't matter a damn if there's no reason to use them, and there is not one realistic situation where they are useful, only when the eye adaptation fails are you forced to use them.

I love this game. But I have no idea where it is going now, and I feel like good parts of the dev team don't either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ThisIsADogHello Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Deliberate, this Feels Update discards reality for better feels. See this quote from the blog post:
    I don't recall any community complaints about the character movement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. welkar926 Apprentice Engineer

I gave this update a go yesterday, and I have to say, while the new sounds and the particle effects for the thrusters were nice additions to the game, I found out, like many other players, that the bloom and post-processing effects made things too bright and shiny. Even in the dark, my space engineer's red suit was highly visible.

To be honest, some ships of mine that looked nice before this update now look too sharp and out of place. For example, the new armor textures stand out too much and black paint that looked nice several updates ago now looks too dark:

BEFORE, 2016 (Update 1.117)

[​IMG]

AFTER, 2018 (Update 1.186)

[​IMG]

Like others have said, it would be nice if we could get detailed sliders to turn down the effects to more manageable levels.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. PLJ Trainee Engineer

I do .. they started yesterday :/

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. FoolishOwl Apprentice Engineer

I realized, looking a bit more at SE in its current state, that it reminded me of some short segments of action sequences from the reimagined Battlestar Galactica, from 2004, a style that's been used in other science fiction in visual media since then. That's probably what's meant by "cinematic".

The catch is, those were *short sequences*, of no more than a few seconds at a time. And they were expressive of the style of that version of Battlestar Galactica: they were supposed to be clips from poor-quality gun cameras, from in-universe obsolescent craft, with sudden jumps in focus that corresponded to sudden detection of threats emerging from the fog of war. It's a style that conveys tension, uncertainty, and vulnerability.

And that's a visual style completely unsuitable for extended viewing. In Space Engineers, we're engaged in focused activity -- mining, building -- for hours at a stretch. We can't be looking at blurry, uncomfortable imagery for that long.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. Jexsam Trainee Engineer

I only just got into this game a little under two months ago. It pretty much immediately sucked me in then - the fact that it let me play it as a mixture of carefree Minecraft-like building but still required harder considerations such as mass, thrust, combat, etc, struck for me a perfect balance, letting me mess around to my heart's content without being completely in God Mode. I spent hours upon hours, far more than I probably should have, just making cool stuff and seeing how it held up against enemy NPCs, exploring the world and the moon and planning a Mars mission...

...Then this update hit. The sky went form a glorious, beautiful, vibrant nebulae-splashed spectacle to a bowl of lukewarm pea soup. Armor went from acceptably okay to outright terrible, looking like high-gloss latex rather than armor plating. Colors are all kinds of screwed up. Everything around the edges of the screen is blurry. There's this fisheye effect I only just started to notice that is intensely distracting. It's enough to make me not want to play anymore, even though the base game is the same. Visuals may not be the end-all be-all of a game, but there's a difference between antiquated graphics and just plain bad ones - and for the most part, this game is now full of the latter. Which seems like a strange choice since the graphics weren't bad at all before.

Not to say it's all bad - missile shootouts look astounding now. But everything around that is almost painful and absolutely draining of any desire to continue messing around, so I can't say how I feel about the wheel changes because I simply haven't wanted to try them.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

The fisheye effect has been in the game more or less forever, but was really only noticeable at the extremes of vision and at high velocities.

15. rifmouk Trainee Engineer

Thanks for this update, all of works.
    But like a lot persons, i think postprocessing is to heavy (please a slider) and if you turn off it, the sun had a strange aspect (white circle with sharp edges).

Be carefull, if you had difficulty to load your world with planet(s), on my game, voxels are tune of extrem (keen says is a new tune but don't use it when playing)

Bye

16. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

I'm late... and everything that i think has been said.

But of all:
    Yes, there is vignetting effects.
    Yes, there is such a thing as chromatic abberation.
    There is also a thing as "Why implement?" and "Too much"

The wheels, blocks, particles (except the one of the jump-drives that hasn't been touched), damage-flames, HDR-potential (*ugh* if correctly configured *ugh*) are super rad.

17. mojomann71 Junior Engineer

@chrisb I applaud your rant sir! Excellent points, well said.
    (No sarcasm, I truly do like your rant. I 100% agree with you.)

18. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  19. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Can't wait to see Farrells take on this one :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. ITheTerrible Trainee Engineer

Hey devs! I wanted to stop by to say that I love the new update. The first sounds I noticed were the connectors disconnecting and the echos in caves, and those sound damn amazing! Also did you change the gravity on Mars? I could have sworn it was .8 before... The only critisim I have is that the LED screens on control seats and the ones on all systems (hydrogen tanks, batteries, etc) seem very bright. It would be kinda nice to have the ability to turn those down. Thank you for your persistant effort in developing this awesome game and have a great day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  21. FoolishOwl Apprentice Engineer

After poking around in settings, I found my graphics general setting had been set to "custom", and most of the individual settings were set to the minimums. It looks a bit better with the general setting at "high", but I still don't like the style.

At least, I'd like it if they had a "cinematic" option, so that the distortion and blurring could be disabled, without disabling all the new graphic features.

22. Spets Master Engineer

what is in the today's hotfix please? the world want to know!

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. musculecar Trainee Engineer

24. Jarcek Trainee Engineer

Just came here to see that as well.

EDIT: 77mb is quite a lot.

EDIT2 - It is stucked at unpacking on Steam - anyone with same trouble?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  25. Krougal Senior Engineer

So the color picker, at least it is normal HSL settings now so in theory it should be possible to match colors to a colorchart. I say in theory because with the lighting being so bad I can't really tell (even with Whip's mod) and 5 minutes of the game is about all I can stand these days.

For people who have no idea what I'm talking about, in the rest of the free world saturation and lightness go from 0% to 100% (not -100 to +100 which is what we used to have) so this is an improvement. Of course because Keen can't fix 1 thing without breaking something else, ctrl-click doesn't work on the sliders.

26. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Something is up with the eye adaptation. I'll see if I can tweak it to look better.

27. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

I don't think anyone seriously believes the devs have just gone and run off with the money from the game. If someone does think that then they are entitled to said belief. As for the "snide" comments I've not seen anything out of the ordinary at first glance that couldn't be chalked up to friendly ball busting. As for you edited in statement, it's clear you've not taken a stroll through your graphics options to see what all you can actually do in game nor have you paid attention to how many options are actually tied to that postprocessing box. Turning that box off can definitely help and definitely did help me in terms of eliminating the blurryness quite a bit, but even then it was still somewhat there. All other issues I named in my previous post, such as messed up lighting, a few sound issues, shineyness of objects, and performance issues were all still present. I encourage you to read over my first post again as I actually give my specs to this computer I'm posting from as this isn't a cheap rig I'm using, and there are others out there who have rigs even stronger than mine. I've played titles like Tom Clancy's The Division, which has been known to be a resource hog, and a few similar games. Even on the highest possible settings and me trying to aggro the entire npc army in the game, The Division does not use as many resources as I've seen SE use constantly as of this update.

It's definitely not the end of the world with this update as there was alot of good to come from it, but also alot more was shown that needed to be done. Myself and others are bringing issues to their attention so that they can be fixed and make the game better as a whole, and not to take cheap shots at Keen. If I didn't think they had the ability to produce something great with SE I would've jumped ship a long time ago.

As I pointed out in this post already, disabling postprocessing helps for some of the issues, but does NOT address all of them, not even in the slightest. While I agree sometimes folks can be a bit overly dramatic, there are legitimate complaints and issues that have been raised by others aside from just myself. As for multiplayer fixes, if 95% of your customers are asking for something and even perspective new customers are asking for that same something, you would be foolish not to do it at some point as that's just leaving money on the table. While there are some changes still I would love to see them make with multiplayer and that I would love to have right now, I would rather them take the time to do it right and not have to worry about 40 hot fixes to fix a rushed patch. As for your comments on early access it's clear you don't understand entirely how it works. With early access I am paying to be able to play the game now before it officially releases. I'm well aware things can change and there will be changes, bugs and issues that crop up. In addition to getting to play the game early I can offer feedback to help them fix those bugs and issues. When I buy an early access game I'm also buying said game with the understanding that I'm going to get a complete working product when it releases. There's no reason the game can't fulfill the desires of the devs and players at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  28. UncleCletus Trainee Engineer

I got a small update today, normally I come here for the small hotfixes but don't see them yet, am I early?

29. Brian Yilmaz Trainee Engineer

My cents:
    - performance got increased quite a bit in my station, but as soon as I leave it and fly a few hundred meters over terrain it lags the sh** out of me and the game comes to a complete stop for several seconds -.-
    - textures are too dark or too bright now, when blocks are lighted they look like painted, when not directly lit they are way too dark
    - "streaming" icon is still in place and going on my nerves
    - maximum lights are not an option, so my station lights are flickering with movement because not all lights are getting rendered ...
    - postprocessing looks good but is impractical, why don't you let us choose which post processings we want and which we don't? I like the bloom but I hate the staining on the helmet - MOSTLY when I open it so there shouldn't be any stain!
    - disable ambient occlusion and it looks completely out of place
    - reduce shadow quality and it looks completely out of place
    - colors in general don't look as natural on earthlike planet as they did before
    - "ore spots" seem to not be visible anymore ( not necessarily a bad thing )

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. musculecar Trainee Engineer

Ok KEEN, you fixed this sun and other blurs problem. Game look much better. But i wanna to sayd about little porblems.
    1) Hydrogen backback is soo short-timed. All players on my server ask me for mode on better backpack capacity. But we survival server, and i dont wanna make op backpacks.
    2) Character die to many times. He just touch the wall and boom! Death...
    3) Jumpdrives and reactors losed their glowing green. (((
    4) Letters on LCD doesn't glow. before/after
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....115/D2C35AB0DCDFE70FF68B80B03EF54C8D6EC224E1/
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....555/3E7BDF84854FC59A2FEE82573C3AD5160BFB5076/
    5) Why projectors so smoky? I understand we are in the night club, where many people smoking. But my base on mountain with clear air and shiny day. As you know, this effect from the projectors arises when there is a suspension of fine particles in the air, and light reflected from the particles causes this effect. Its impossible in mountains with clear air.
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....929/C9314FD87B480B802B5F5772EA4D0C12F16C9C18/
    6) At shiny day, spotlight causes this problem (all is dark)
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....779/7894C068C164BF4F2444699F7B392AAD92CE5611/
    7) Give me a rag to wipe off my helmet! Why it so dirty? And why i press J and it still dirty? Character havnt glases.
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....249/1D6CA85D004A1E9AC2AC4C72C3BB0E531FC516C0/
    8) And about sun. Its much better, but too yellow. Ask any ophthalmologist, which colour see people with good yes? He answer - white. And look at sun at noon. I dont ask make sun white. Just make it less yellow/orange...
    http://median.az/uploads/posts/2015-03/1425898721_pogoda.jpg
    9) Ion thrusters now work in atmospehere and can lift my huge ship.
    10) After todays fix, large hydrogen lose animation (but may be my problem)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.