Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Important Update 1.186 - Major Overhaul of Visuals, Audio and Wheels

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

You like the updates, good for you. No need to start throwing names around to those that don't agree.

Anyhow, the logic of "if you don't like it leave" is flawed if you want the game to continue. If everyone just got into a circle jerk of "oooh thats good" with every single change the game would have gone to shtaco long ago. Some have been less than constructive with their criticism but there are plenty of posts that are constructive.

• Agree Agree x 8
  2. Silvrav Trainee Engineer

ok let me point it out (and i am comparing it to SE before the update)

[​IMG]

Jagged edges, blurriness of the voxels, no clean crisp outline as it use to be)

[​IMG]
    tree use to be crisp and clear.
    grass and snow use to flow nicely into each other
    Mountain ranges use to be flat
    the steel blocks in the ground - so blurry/smudged you can barely make out which block starts/ends where.

• Like Like x 1
  3. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

Slow your roll there for a minute and take the next available jump drive back to reality off that high horse for a moment. I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't appreciate the good that's come with the update. Believe it or not it is indeed possible to appreciate the good while also calling attention to the bad. I know it's a radical concept but it is indeed true. When everything looks crisp and clean in one update and is running fine, then in the next update goes to extremely blurry and more than doubling in terms of CPU and Ram useage and being reduced to a crawl in some instances, then you better bet people are going to call attention to it. Are you really going to sit there and tell me that the game going from using 30% cpu and 6 gigs of ram to using 50-60% cpu and over 14 gigs of ram is normal? When it appears as though my engineer goes from 20/20 vision to near legally blind from the graphics update making things blurry do you seriously think I'm not going to say something? I've played some games like Tom Clancy's The Division which can be murder on a computer graphically and even it doesn't consistently use as many resources as SE has been eating as of this update and that's saying something.

I can acknowledge the good of the update as I'm greatly enjoying the update to wheels. At the same time I can also point out what needs polish while still appreciating the work that's been done. You demonstrate the faulty logic of thinking that someone who criticizes something is just being a whiner and that to appreciate something one must agree with and like everything they do. I offer constructive criticism because I enjoy the game and actually want it to stick around for awhile. I point out issues like the graphics issues and performance because I believe Keen can do better as I've seen them do better before. You should seriously slow down and read what everyone has said again, slowly. It's not the end of the world with this update, but there's definitely work that needs to be done still.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

the problem is a suit mod, or character/personal inventory mod, they have the old jetpack thruster values, which need to be updated
    --- Automerge ---
    how do you know this wasnt mareks decisions anyway? :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Xelo Trainee Engineer

Thank you very much for your kind comment, but please don't feed this troll. With his weird and unfriendly comment he outet himself as a very young and silly child.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

overall i think this update is good, but some things have been overdone, the bloom has been greatly improved, but needs to be toned down even more, same as the chromatic aberration/blur and the vignette, way too much! I cant imagine many, if any at all would want to play like this, but for cinematics they will be great. Not everyone is going to like the new effects at the 'set' level that is vanilla, and without anyway to properly control these, the players are screwed! To stop the headache inducing chromatic aberration/blurring i either have to use a mod for my single player games, or turn off the whole of post processing for dedicated servers that are not using a mod to remove those unwanted effects, turning off all of post processing makes the sun look like a paper plate when in space, and im told the tracer rounds need post processing to look nice too, if you are not going to give us sliders to adjust these effects, at least give us a checkbox so we can turn the individual effects off.. These new added effects have no business being in a place where a mod is the only way to alter them, to make them more suitable for your own personal tastes, and your eyesight/head etc.

7. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

That the "old" jetpack values not more get enough thrust to lift you up is clearly an bug ....
    If the gravitation was stronger then the new values have not an so much overpowered behavor ...
    And fly side and even side/up get like before .. only stright up dont work ..

regards

8. apfelimkuchen Trainee Engineer

I just wanted to thank you Devs for still updating this awsome game!

• Like Like x 1
  9. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Bloom, chromatic aberration, vignetting, distortion typical of oily streaks on glass, and clumps of dirt on windows, are special effects that may make sense to offer as options, particularly for creating machinima. But, they're simulations of flawed, damaged, or unmaintained equipment, reducing image quality. They simulate objectively bad visuals. For most people, they're uncomfortable and unpleasant for extended viewing. They shouldn't all be locked together, and they shouldn't be enabled by default.

More broadly, this major update shows the strategic shortcoming of keeping your plans tightly under wraps, and releasing a whole suite of changes all at once, instead of piecemeal. Keen could have gotten feedback on its changes over time, focusing on separate changes, getting more focused feedback and adapting plans to that feedback, instead of gambling on the whole suite of changes being accepted at once.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 6
  10. Dan2D3D Moderator

@Konscience

Respect other members opinion please >> Go read the forum rule #8

Feedback on the game >> Not on other members!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Teuf Trainee Engineer

Updated this morning... what did you fix?

12. Dr. Novikov Apprentice Engineer

I am working on the Sun. Although, constant crashes due to memory leaks make me stop every 10 minutes or so.

• Like Like x 1
  13. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

i have on my PC (the time i tested 1.186..) no problems AFTER going from Extrem GFX settings to high (special extreme voxel have filled my 16GB ram .... extrem modell make only low FPS ..)

Regards

14. DontEmailMe Trainee Engineer

Just made an account to say thank you for fixing the "head bob" issue. First person camera movement while walking around doesn't bob up and down making me nauseous. I can finally play the game for more than 10 minutes at a time. 3 year issue finally fixed, hooray.

15. Thrak Junior Engineer

The first post of this thread has been updated with the latest hotfix info. It addresses some mining issues, among other things, and includes a quote about the Space Just Got Real mod.

The devs have forced a default reset to medium graphic settings... I'll take this as a "needs of the many out-weight the needs of the few" decision.

Kudos to Keen for continuing to clearly communicate what's being pushed in hotfixes.

16. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

I appreciate the fact that Keen takes popular mods into account.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. PLJ Trainee Engineer

Well .. I'll be damned ... let me be the first in this topic to congratulate Keen on fixing the stuff that needed fixing on the visual end. I am pretty impressed now!
    So much so that I even forgot to look at the skybox :eek:

Edit: I see the idea is this improvement was caused by reverting to medium settings, it wasnt .. I was on medium all along and was experiencing horrible graphics and graphic glitches .. it looks freaking amazing now. I am really really really impressed ..

This look absolutely gorgeous!

18. Dr. Novikov Apprentice Engineer

Okay, I have updated Eyes Just Got Clear. Reduced blur. Reduced vignettes. Defeated the evil alien aberration.

• Like Like x 4
  19. _alphaBeta_ Trainee Engineer

Where do we stand with the dark patches on planets? Is this intentional or not? As was said, this is probably a step in the right direction so long as the performance issues with ore detectors is addressed so their range can be increased. I thought it was too low to begin with while we had the dark patches. Would seem rather fun to create a wheeled vehicle in the early game to scout around (power may be too sparse to fly constantly). Is no one playing survival?

While it should go without saying, especially with an early access game, I'm surprised the devs don't remind everyone to remove mods before reporting bugs etc. Other games have a clear workflow, even among the community, where the majority of players will either wait for mods to be updated or disable them completely if they want to begin playing right away. Talking about and opening bug reports for an issue that is really just caused by an (now) outdated mod is counterproductive to everyone's interests.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

I like all of these major updates for many reasons...
    1. It shows Keens continued dedication to making the game better
    2. The game improved
    3. It's one more major update out of the way before they improve the GAMEPLAY.
    Keep em coming! There's only so many more you can do before gameplay mechanics are all that's left.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Great Update. I love the new wheel physics, but also the new explosions. Damn they're awesome now!

However, I still hope we're getting a survival overhaul and more gameplay/content at some point in the not-so-distant future.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  22. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

The problem with increasing the range on ore detectors, particularly on planets is that at longer ranges they absolutely murder sim speed. I use a mod that gives tiered ore detectors in x2, x3 and x4 ranges for small and large grids. If I use anything further than the x2 I kill my game. When I researched it I read that each voxel in range is searched to see if it contains ore. The longer the range, the more voxels, the more work the game has to do to complete the process.

A wheeled vehicle with a x2 seem(ed) to work ok but then again I knew roughly where the ore spots were.

Also, subsurface ice veins do not show on the ore scanner. I used to find those by driving over the ore spots and if no ore appeared on the scanner it was ice. Could cause a bit of trouble for Mars survival playthroughs.

23. Cetric Junior Engineer

So now it seems the community is united, for once, to dance in circles and praise Keen Software Church for the latest edition of their space bible, after some, ehm... theological discussion about some mindblowing novelties. :)
    Any infidels left? Crucify them! :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  24. PLJ Trainee Engineer

The only real annoyance left is this:

Would it be hard to let that adjust along with scene brightness like every smartphone today also does ?

...and this:

While they somehow work great from inside the cockpit now, they still are not all that helpfull when outside.

Number 3 and 4 are the jetpack and the skybox. The first being overpowered, the second looking like a leaf-fire with loads of smoke.

But by now, I am prepared to agree this is a major update, and I am really stunned at how good it looks. Some little things here and there remain with stuff shining that shouldnt (rock) but all the fugly artifacts are gone. Some shadow jittering remains as well .. but totally acceptable ... really .. f-ing amazing work after a weekend and a live session .. really .. just wow.

/mental note to self .. next time I jump on here, be a lot more polite :|

25. Brian Yilmaz Trainee Engineer

With the update I have CONSTANT warnings of "Too many individual objects interactig with each other".
    Didn't have that before but now... every few seconds the game lags and shows the warning -.-

26. PLJ Trainee Engineer

Realisticly, I would be dead standing here ...(with how these rocks bounce around)

27. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

I have a fix for spotlights, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1290848705.

It removes the spotlights' cone of light, and removes "space dust" which is the strange particles you see when moving fast in space.

Edit: I think Dr. Novikov is working on the screen bloom, don't quote me on that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  28. PLJ Trainee Engineer

:tu::tu::pbjt::carlton:

29. Dr. Novikov Apprentice Engineer

Uploaded a hotfix for Space Just Got Real, but I will do more patches soon, to restore its former glory.

• Like Like x 8
  30. gamer12301 Trainee Engineer

The i5 4460 has an iGPU (which kind of sucks for modern games).[/QUOTE]

It must be absolutely PUNY. . . No wonder your game won't run @rdsden TBH I have trouble believing you could play it at all. . . That being said if it did run before just make sure that inside your display settings you've got the correct Video Adaptor Setting. There should only be one, but I've seen weird issues with both SE and ME somehow find a -1 or -2 Adaptor of the same name; where one runs the game like absolute P!$$ and the other does just fine. No idea why or how there are two settings sometimes but I've seen it.

Also reduce and check your graphic settings as they may have changed since updating the game.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.