Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Important Update 1.187 - Major Overhaul of Multiplayer

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. hellokeith Apprentice Engineer

2. Sipowicz Trainee Engineer

Anyone else unable to update? Installed a fresh copy and getting world cannot be loaded error. World worked fine up until this latest patch

3. Archon_SD Trainee Engineer

I cannot update my dedi server at the moment. (1187089 on the client, 1187088 on the dedi server) My client updated fine. Hoping time/patience is my friend here. I don't know for sure, but my hunch is client and server are different steam ID's, and maybe the dedi server isn't updated yet in steam? I am trying to figure out if there's a way to specify a different version (downgrade) on the client, so I can continue playing until the server can be updated.

4. Dabombinable Trainee Engineer

I managed to update the dedicated server just now. I did the update through steam, then copied the files from the steam dedi install to the version downloaded via SteamCMD. The server is updated and I can once again play SE on the rig running the DS.

5. echoAwoo Trainee Engineer

Can we get the sun rotation field data validated back above 1440 minutes?

Prior to the multiplayer update, I ran a server with a ~20,000 minute (2 weeks) solar rotation timer. This made nights 1 week long, and days 1 week long. Can we please get this option again?

6. Petr Beranek Developer Staff

Sun rotation period was always maxed at 24 hours (I think it was 24, but you can check slider in advanced menu for right limits). If DS manager allowed times greater than limits, it was bug.

7. Roxette Senior Engineer

There are still many issues with things being broken until a server is restarted, it would be very helpful if the official servers advertised their routine restart times, just as most well-managed privately run servers have done for years.

8. Petr Beranek Developer Staff

More helpful would be to tell us what is being broken in what way, so it can be fixed. :D Aside from that I can ask if there is any schedule.
    --- Automerge ---
    Well, It seems server restarts every 6 hours. But is after 6 hours of running. It can restart at any time due to crash, extreme drop of simspeed (watchdog will kill and restart server) in which cases the timer gets reset -> it gets offset for each server when something happens to them.

9. Dabombinable Trainee Engineer

Well great....server clients now randomly loose the ability to:
    • die
    • place blocks (exiting the game then rejoining has them show up)
    • enter or exit cryo pod/cockpit/seats
    • ability to select tools
    • resapwn
    And each time it appears that the client has lost connection with the server....even though there is definitely no networking issues at all (connected directly via ethernet), and the only way to solve the problem is to exit the server and rejoin. BTW the in game stats stop showing anything server related (eg. upload and download rates, ping etc) during the soft disconnect.

10. echoAwoo Trainee Engineer

In any case, I'd greatly appreciate the ability to extend this timer beyond 24 hours, at the very least on Dedicated Servers.

11. Petr Beranek Developer Staff

This and the rest you described really sounds like connection problem. Disappearing stats did hapen to me before, usually when there was massive sim speed drop. Like when game went to 0.01 and so on.

So this has happened on our official DS? What was your ping/simspeed?

In any case those things you mentioned like dying, entering seats, tool selection and respawn, those can happen only on server and then client is told it had happened. So if there is any problem in communication, it is understandable it won't work.

What about other people who are at the server at that time? are they experiencing it too? can they for example kill you? Another thing is when you reconnect, how long does it work then? Will it happen immediately? Or is there delay (like, it starts with problems always 22 minutes after connection)? Does it happen on all servers or only one specific? Does it happen only to you or other people too?
    --- Automerge ---
    Then this is probably the link you have been looking for. :)

12. Calaban Junior Engineer

Regarding pasting an unbuilt grid blueprint in survival:

I was really excited when I discovered this. I was hoping it was possible to place the entire thing all at 1% IF I had enough of the placement components in my backpack.

Is this a planned future blueprinting option?

13. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

Welcome back! I was worried there's not going to be another update. Luckily my conserns ware only conserns. Great update, although I can't check up MP right now. Anyway, nobody gave credit for new suspension wheel behavior and wheel override sliders! C'mon this is huge! You can control 'em via PB! This means autopilot for wheelers, speed locking, custom rotor/piston based suspension sets and many other things. I was asking for this feature for many years and now I finally got it! I'll build best pure wheeled rock crawler ever! Thank you KSH for this functionality, you've made my Day. :-D

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. NanoPirate Trainee Engineer

vrage remote client isnt working ... it is trying to connect to localhost instead of the IP i gave it

15. Thales M. Senior Engineer

Using ship grinders and welders causes major server sim speed drop. (My small ship has only 2 grinders.) I can't use my ship because other players in the server were badly affected by the major server sim speed drop. I opened a bug topic in support forum but no one seems to look at it.

16. Roxette Senior Engineer

For reasons best known to Keen It silently defaults to that behaviour if it is unable to establish a connection to the address given. Verify that the address is correct and that the server is listening, including verifying that any intervening border routers are correctly configured to allow the traffic. If appropriate, ask the hosting service to verify their network is configured for it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. NanoPirate Trainee Engineer

thanks for your quick help!

18. MrJinx Apprentice Engineer

*Protip with SE and kids, - Sit Child on lap, and proceed to let push buttons, within a year will be telling ya what to do*..
    My son was playing Just cause 2 with me at 4 months, (by playing i mean... he found the granade button and would press at all the wrong times lol *(his 6 now and has over 1000 hours in SE )*

19. Dabombinable Trainee Engineer

It was on my own server (i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz, 24GB RAM, the DS on my boot SSD) with the simspeed being 1.02 and the ping going from its usual 40-90ms all the way up to 300-500 when it started going bad (connection doesn't appear to be lost and I can still interact with ship systems), and I later found out that for some reason the server would switch to sending traffic through my router (over wifi) and over the internet instead then back to the server, of keeping it on the server (since I play SE on it at the same time) and therefore causing the "connection" problem.
    Clients on other computers have no problems however, even those connecting over the router&wifi instead of directly over Ethernet. The problem does seem to be extremely intermittent (sometimes I can play on the DS for hours without issues) and impossible to deliberately replicate.

As for other people on the server-when the connection issue starts I appear to be stuck in 1 place to everyone else, and everyone else appears stuck in place to me. We can all build as normal, and see any interactions with constructs and the environment (including piloting ships). The server does seem to register anyone getting hit despite apparent locations, and we can still die with our corpse suddenly showing up where we got killed/died.

Edit: Just to clarify, the internet connection when the DS decides to change from same-computer LAN to the router is only ADSL2 and the maximum upload speed is 100KB/sec with downloads being impossible while the upload bandwidth is maxed out.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Roxette Senior Engineer

Hey, I've been doing that for years, and a lot of those things have indeed been fixed... some of them have been fixed many times :D

21. Smokki Trainee Engineer

What was changed with the wheels in this patch? Suddenly ground vehicles that worked almost perfectly before, flip over almost instantly now while turning?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  22. odizzido Junior Engineer

Memory seems to be leaking pretty bad right now for me. Game starts at 4.2gigs and creeps up to 7gigs at which point I need to reload it.

23. Cetric Junior Engineer

I will revert to 1.186 now because I failed to load any save game from 1.186 into 1.187, ruined a computer over my attempts to seek out what the trouble is, and after hardware replacements (MB and SSD) still face the same situation. Somehow the saves are not converted right into the new format as it is proclaimed when trying.

24. posthy Apprentice Engineer

This might be the wrong topic for this, but i just found out that on small grid the large conveyor junction is not airtight. Is this intentional? Was it always like this? Or is it a bug? Since all other type of conveyor junction are airtight i think ot should be airtight as well.

25. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

Many things, for instance friction is much more powerful for side sliding so you might need to try lower settings. Personally I use dynamic friction value, faster you go lower friction is at geometrical rate. I apply same thing if it comes to height offset but in linear rate. Of course both values need to stop decreasing at some point to avoid slipping on ground or touching ground with car body. Also I've noticed that vehicle center of mass represents actual center of mass, so you need to build heavy lower part and light upper part of your car, placing heavy blocks as low as possible is crucial, so no longer reactors, batteries or antennas on roof. Good thing is huge mass of space ball, I place couple on wheel axis height to lower center of mass. Also they added drive overrides! That's true, you need to rebuild pervious builds, but now wheels are more reliable than ever. I love this changes, love them so much that finally I'm gonna publish couple creations, finally they are good enough!

Shame thay haven't reinstated damping and travel values, I miss them so much, but if you haven't got what you like, you like what you have.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  26. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

You might want to try using seToolbox to move over the contents of an old save file into a new save. I don't know if it will work, but it might be worth a try. I've recovered ships from corrupted save files in the past using this method.

27. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

Keeping ships in blueprint library is safest way to save any craft, vehicle or base. It should work in survival as well if it comes to saving. This is a good practice before any update, personally I save all moded things before leaving game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I kinda thought that was the purpose of publishing a blueprint. A place to keep the stuff you don't want to lose cause SE can be so squirrelly.

29. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

I believe work
    Personally I believe workshop is a place to publish creations, show off what you can do within game limits. I store my things on a hard drive plus onto USB memory stick (game has never crushed anything in my library thou), otherwise there would be hundreds of my creations, finished or not.

30. Petr Beranek Developer Staff

Have you tried... I don't know, creating a ticket here so we can look at it? ;) (having that save would definitely help, hope it is not another 150+ mod world)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.