Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Important Update 1.188 - Airtightness, In-game Help, Relative Dampening

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

First of all, I love new update, but... Why there always have to be but? Butt..? But... I can't turn good.bot top left corner box. I've been in options but checking/unchecking, restarting game or any action doesn't turn it off, this box takes way to much space to ignore it so my question is, am I only one with same problem? Am I doing something wrong? Any hints will be appreciated.

Edit. After restarting Steam good.bot turned off, weird.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

I agree. they might have been more proud of their hints than their optimizations and asteroids, but it doesn't mean that I should *have* to see "welders weld things, drills drill things" distracting and taking up space.
    I'll try again whenever another patch is.

edit: will try that

3. odizzido Junior Engineer

Looks pretty solid, nice patch :)

4. Petr Beranek Developer Staff

Well... you (and everyone else who has problems with Good.bot) could... you know... finish it :D There are not that much help information and once they are done, they will be gone forever (until you delete SpaceEngineers.cfg where it is stored what helps you have already completed)

5. chrisb Senior Engineer

I'm also liking the clusters of asteroids, much more realistic I feel. Its a great shame about the skybox still, but there are plenty available via mods to sort that out. The game is also much more stable when using speed mods.. I see that as a good sign for stability in general, I could be wrong, but my fingers are crossed.

Only issue I have had, which I corrected in the files, is that planets don't seem to spawn in at the right size. If I set a planet to 120km it spawns in smaller.. Not sure if that is a mod I'm using, but I have sorted it anyway. Would still like to push the planet size envelope though, I'm sure 250km diameter planets would work fine, it would be nice to have that option.

Still, steps to be applauded at the moment.

6. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Give Good Bot a body and a voice and a weapon and make him kill us if we don't do it's bidding......

That is all.

I really like the Relative Dampening, it is very clever.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. boromir Apprentice Engineer

In game, push <esc> go to Options -> Game and uncheck the checkbox for Good.bot in-game hints. This turns off the semi-transparent tutorial objectives/walk-thru box in the top left corner. You can still press <enter> and ask Good.bot questions that start with a '?' whenever you want.

• Like Like x 2
  8. sammyvoncheese Apprentice Engineer

I asked Good.bot why bugs take so long to get fixed, and it crashed my machine :(

• Funny Funny x 7
  9. Cetric Junior Engineer

With the looks of your avatar, hehe.
    --
    Ufff.. We veterans are just too unkind with good.bot. For new players, it will be very helpful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Keten Kennek Trainee Engineer

TYVM for the awesome update. Happy Birthday to the best game ever made!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Cryptic1293 Trainee Engineer

Two issues I have seen while playing: Turrets on grids, whether with mods or without, sometimes float away from their base. Second, Most of the Predefined asteroids have many tunnels going through them.

12. boromir Apprentice Engineer

Please post this as a bug on the support site.

13. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Have you not seen Empire Strikes Back? Beware the Space Worms :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I put on the corruption ai mod and this was what I first saw, it was so cool....... Keen, seriously, this good bot thingy could really do a lot for the game for singleplayer.

I have no idea if the bot was replying to me but this was just so awesome, it was like it was talking to me, that was so cool... this is what the game is missing.

*edit*

It was a trap....... the ship asking for help turned angry and tried killing me... I feel lied too.

*editit*

Just noticed the bullet counter for the weapons, I wonder if keen are working on reload mechanic now.... that will be cool if true.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Advercius Trainee Engineer

I would have to say that the visual hole fix has probably got to be the biggest relief for me in this update.
    It feels like forever I was drilling hidden crevices just to avoid creating those eye sores.
    :tu:

16. HellArea Trainee Engineer

Thumbs in the In-game script menu now is broken for steam. Also after the publication of the script, image not uploads to the workshop (and from old folder \AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\IngameScripts\local\.. and from new one). :(

In the INFO section now is full text from steam description - seems like

[ h1]Commands[/h1]
    [ table]
    [tr][td][h1]+,-[/h1][/td][td]Gear up and down[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td][h1]0[/h1][/td][td]Stop[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td][h1]ray[/h1][/td][td]Scans for objects, stores the velocity vector.[/td][/tr][/table]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  17. Pie Apprentice Engineer

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. AtomAmp Trainee Engineer

I also noticed this problem with the Ore Detectors. The hand drill also works weird.

19. GoatBOT Trainee Engineer

Awesome, thanks for the continuing effort guys

20. jemccro Trainee Engineer

I noticed this as well, there are a few reports on https://support.keenswh.com/ regarding it. KSH was able to reproduce it and state "it will hopefully be fixed soon."

21. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

Finally I've found some time for vast test of recent major update. Unfortunately since I've been gone abroad I couldn't get update from 30th of October.

Game really work nicer but it loads a little bit longer, alt tabbing seems to take more time, but if this is a price for smoother gameplay I can pay it. When update was released I had problem with good.bot, @Petr Beranek yes I've tried to complete it, I couldn't cause objectives, tasks told by in game helper couldn't be done in any way, so I couldn't just pass it. @boromir this was the first thing I've tried, it didn't work for me, restarting everything helped.

Now I've got other problem, I can't exit game and start anything else on steam without restarting whole steam app, had it after release of 1.188 now it's back and even more annoying. Even after restarting steam SEs can't be started normally, need to pass 4 error screens saying some components are used by other program. Funny thing is I can pass it by clicking Ignore button or Try Again, after 4 prompts game starts normally and works fine till I try to exit again. Problem I've mentioned can't be raported via game game raporting system, I'll try to update game somehow and if this issue will still be there I'll post pictures of this comm, there are lot of informations in there, so much it can't be just rewritten.

Other thing whitch surprise me is lack of airtightness of some window blocks placed onto slops, especially window slop sides placed onto slops. I was almost certain that after fixing airtightness, airtightness of all blocks has been reconsidered, so when I was building new rover I was sure I can place 1x2 slope and respective window onto it's side, and it will be sealed. It is not, logic made foul out of me and I had to use cubes and normal windows instead of nicely angeled ones, my rover looks less dynamic, esthetics really suffer cause of that.

Anyway SP game with everything turned On haven't crushed even a single time! So even with all of those slight problems I enjoy it without interruption. I'm sure everything will be repaired with time, even without my whining about it, some day window blocks will provide airtightness according to logic, I will be able to exit game and get back to it normally, just need to be patient.

If anyone have or had same problem please inform me. If you have same problem it means you are not alone in your suffer and misery, if you had it, it means there's a cure. One way or another please let me know.

22. Malware Master Engineer

The way airtightness works makes it all but impossible to support every single configuration of blocks, thin sloped blocks like windows will likely always have some issue or other. Report the failing configuration you found, maybe they can manage to create an edge case test for it - unless it impacts performance badly, that is.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

@Malware perhaps the only way to do this is to make corner window blocks totally airtight no matter if there is slop on other side to cover it. Slop side isn't airtight, corner window also isn't airtight both side shapes aren't cubic so how game could check if this compilation is sealed. Hmm but in other hand corner window placed next to window slop create sealed structure, so this should be possible. I'll have to report it somehow, however this is hard to believe nobody hasn't noticed it yet.

24. Malware Master Engineer

@Allammo Hard to believe maybe, but I've been making several airtight structures without hitting this issue of yours, so... Clearly not impossible :p

25. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

I also have not experienced this issue since the update. Before the update the 1x1 sloped window was notorious for leaking (as was any vanilla corner or slope block). I am currently not experiencing air leaks in any of my vessels where I knew I had them before. Now I just have different leaks :p.

But fewer of them :).

I lost access to my computer shortly after 1.186 and missed 1.187 entirely. I bought myself a new computer just as 1.188 released so my SE experience today is profoundly different. I have a computer now that meets the recommended specifications and it is clear that a good video card with lots of memory makes all the difference. I can't bring this computer to its knees by having my entire fleet in one place any more. I suppose I'll have to start using more scripts :D.

Also, now I can leave the graphics settings on "high" and see all the blocks in their full glory. Vanilla blocks look really good now, right down to the scratches ;).

I'm grateful that blueprints can be put into folders. Is there a way to do it in-game?

Back in 1.183 a typical 150+ mod session of mine took about 45 minutes to load. Today a 200+ mod session loads in less than five minutes. No more loading the session and then making a pot of coffee.

I will still occasionally get a BSOD. There doesn't seem to be anything consistent about it. It just happens. This computer only runs Steam and Space Engineers, plus whatever background crap Windows 10 insists on running. It's an MSI gaming rig and it supposedly has software that optimizes for gaming and I have that running. I'm guessing it's probably just Windows being Windows.

Aside from that I can't really comment on any other aspects but generally speaking this game is working great. Nice work, Keen :tu:

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. Malware Master Engineer

That's not a good sign. I haven't had - or known anyone who has had - BSODs for years without it actually being a hardware issue :(

• Agree Agree x 3
  27. Roxette Senior Engineer

If it's a bug in Nvidia drivers or code dependent upon them, does that count as a hardware issue ? Because I've seen a few of those.

28. Slywolf117 Trainee Engineer

I'd LOVE to try this update out...If the damn game would actually let me ONTO a server. I spent almost 3 hours trying to get onto various servers yesterday. when it DID let me in, the mods wouldn't download/error text box when it spawned me in. After reinstalling the game, it let me onto a server finally and everything worked. This morning, infinite loading screens. Have been at it for over an hour now trying to get onto servers. Even servers with like 2 or less mods, same thing. Endless loading screen that freezes and does nothing, forcing me to close the game out even after 30+ min of waiting.

29. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Well, I haven't gotten one on any of my other computers. The only one I did get them on was the previous computer I was using to run SE. Now the only computer I get them on is still the computer I run SE on. @Roxette I suspect you might have something there about a Nvidia connection. When I get a crash that doesn't result in a BSOD I usually get some kind of video card driver warning.

30. Hyomoto Apprentice Engineer

First off, I'm very impressed with the team. The game shocks me with how stable it's become, and that I promise is a compliment. I'm also happy to see some of the experimental features make it back into the regular game. So, as the game chugs along towards 1.0 I would like to bring up what I think is the biggest hindrance: the game is impossible from a empty start. Games like Minecraft or Factorio start you with nothing and the whole game is accessible from that state. In Doom ( and Doom II ), many level designers like to ensure that the maps they create can be completed from a 'pistol start'. Space Engineers has no such state. You absolutely must begin with a source of power, an assembler, a refinery and a full set of tools. There are so many soft-failure conditions in Space Engineers that cannot be recovered from because having all of those items in a functioning condition is mandatory.

If, for some reason, you end up in one of these soft failure states you can only recover if another player has the thing you are missing, or if you kill yourself. Kind of grim. But mechanically speaking the game is acknowledging these requirements by giving you the things you need when you die. So, if I can suicide to get a free suite of tools and machines, why is there no way to get to that same state without it? For a 'finished' game, those soft-failure states should be addressed. The most obvious solution is to allow the engineer to perform refining/crafting without the machines, limited or otherwise. That's how every other game generally handles this. But I recognize Space Engineers is about engineering challenges, and being able to magically craft might not be thematically relevant. Perhaps you should be able to lose. But, if that is the case, the game should acknowledge these soft losses and let you decide if you want to keep playing. After all, if it's going to unrecoverable there might as well be a Game Over screen to christen it.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.