Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Important Update 1.190 - Customizable LCD Screens, Replay Tool, and Decorative Pack

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Apr 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. WarHaber Trainee Engineer

Is there something wrong with wheels power and breaks? There are terrible week now.
    PS. Great DLC.

• Late Late x 1
  2. Arctic_Fox Trainee Engineer

Im mixed on this update. On the one hand yay new shiny stuff! and even the DLC aint bad in so far as that for how long the game has been around getting updates at all is something special and as such i dont mind helping keep KSH open. So overall positive and adding paid DLC items that have minimal inpact on gameplay to keep updates rolling in by keeping the game generating cash is A-OK in my book.

HOWEVER if the cockpit and storage issue is as players say and is not just a weird big that will be squashed in a day or 3 well....this is a dark path you tred upon KSH and i advise you to step off it and quickly. This is already having a negitive effect on your reputation and trust me when i say that the love of your fans is worth more then a couple sheckles that squandering it will bring. If you have a adoreing fanbase we tend to overlook many flaws and be willing to fight over being the first to buy a new game by your company.

If you alienate your fanbase and arent EA rich....your fans will abandon your brand and ignore almost anything you put out because we are pissed. And that will over the long term sink your company as we look for better alternitives.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Late Late x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. /dev/null Trainee Engineer

I have to say I'm not a big fan of any DLC - I strongly feel that possibilities and achievements in a game should come out of in-game efforts rather than out of real world purchases. That said, I think that by allowing other players to at least "be around" these blocks you found the most inclusive, non-obstructive way to do it... I'm totally fine with that, as long as you don't go full Star Citizen (ships for cash) or EVE (resources for cash). I think I'm going to buy the pack, but restrict myself to decorative blocks like plants and sofas, and not use the (very nice looking) industrial cockpits and exclude players that do not have that from actual functionality.

And the new LCDs are awesome... so many possibilities... the API is a bit quirky though
    * they can not be individually named, which makes the common "put X in block name to have progblock Y write something to it" impractical
    * the dedicated LCD blocks are now IMyTextSurfaces which inherit IMyTerminalBlock and do not have an IMyTextSurfaceProvider, BUT the new displays are ONLY accessible through an IMyTextSurfaceProvider and do NOT inherit IMyTerminalBlock

4. MrEvan312 Trainee Engineer

Hello, Keen! Overall am rather happy with the update but what I'm particularly excited for is the replay tool which I want to use for film and such. However, I have a problem: the tool won't allow for RC controlled vehicles. Switching between "players" basically boots the player from control of the vehicle and so when the replay is started they don't do anything. Is there a way to leave a "player" in RC control while switching between instances? This isn't "essential" but it prohibits the use of my smaller drones and such.

5. Thrak Junior Engineer

6. The Feel Sage Trainee Engineer

The new update is pretty nice overall. The LCD improvements are much appreciated and the DLC pack adds some cool stuff. However, I really don't like the new heavy armor block texture that looks like my ship has been sand blasted. Also, all blocks in projections now seem to be white, is that intentional?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kas Trainee Engineer

почему кабина добавлена в новый набор? и почему в ней с зади нет большой трубы конвейера а 2 маленькие?
    Why is the cabin added to the new set? and why is there no large pipe of the conveyor in the back, but 2 small ones?
    Here's another. guns and lockers do not have access to conveyors?

8. Valikai Trainee Engineer

I can’t seem to find the bonus tracks from the soundtrack in my Deluxe Edition folder. Where do these end up getting downloaded to? I didn’t see them in the game files either.

9. Cetric Junior Engineer

I am really shocked by the negativity of some people on FB and Steam comment sections. Such a reasonable price - I know another game where just a daily redeemable ship cost you up to almost 40 Euros as dlc - and all they have on their mind is no appreciation for free stuff, but rant. I am glad I am no dev, I don't have the thick skin to ignore that destructive influence on creativity. And it is the same in many games; those in early access, those published and those just being announced.
    They could have gotten hundreds or thousands of hour out of their original 20 something Euros/Dollars investment and still cry like this dlc and update would mean the end of the world. Really disgusting. I hope KEEN can bear it better than I would.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Kalantris Trainee Engineer

I do not like the fact, that there's a cockpit there in the decorative section. I would have bought the DLC just to support the devs, but I play with a couple of friends and they won't be purchasing it, so for the sake of keeping everything cross-functional I'm not going to buy something I won't use anyway. I would very much prefer them to be able to fly my contraptions. It's much funnier to watch them crash from outside.

11. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

I'm definitely in the camp of people that hates DLCs on principle, regardless of the price. Games should be sold whole. If they need more revenue, they should add more to the game at no extra cost to expand their consumer base. A constant stream of free expansions, like in GTA (the most profitable entertainment product in history), keep the game feeling alive and the online community active which means it constantly draws new players and maintains a high rate of sales.

SE could add diverse play modes to draw in more diverse gamers. Dedicated PvP and race modes could bring in a new mass of players. Adding a campaign story every month for the next year or two could attract more players, especially if it's a continuing story. Expanding character level play (stuff done outside of a vehicle) could broaden appeal. Keen has plenty of options to increase community hype about the game and encourage more sales.

That said, I'm still going to buy it. Most games I'm quite content to not buy the DLC's but Keen is the kind of developer I actually want to support. Also, I reserve the right to frown disapprovingly while buying it. That's because I see SE and ME not as games, but solid foundations for great games. If supporting them means they'll continue to build on top of those foundations, then I'll dish out the money and encourage others to do the same.

There is a limit to that though. If trying to get a new player into the game ever means they have to dish out $100+ to get the game and all the DLCs... well then Keen will have the integrity of EA and I'll be done with them.

12. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I play SE in offline mode and accidentally clicked on Workshop and it is stuck like this forever.... I had to close the game via task manager.

[​IMG]

13. Kalantris Trainee Engineer

Developing expansions is not a free process, that's why there's microtransactions in GTA:V and we all know microtransactions are cancer. I would welcome paid DLCs if they added substance to the game keeping in mind there's basic substance missing atm, which should be developed and released first. I would also very much welcome fixes to clang-prone constructions, namely moving parts in moving objects, which heavily limits our abilities to actually engineer in Space Engineers.

Paid DLCs I would welcome would be new planets, scenario packs, expanded production lines /more resources/ etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. JakeCWolf Trainee Engineer

Paid DLC is a one way road to oblivion for the reputation of a game and it's developers. Space Engineers built it self on a once and done price, so that all you needed was to own the game to experience everything it had and everything to come. It doesn't matter that it's only a few bucks, DLC will divide the fanbase, and it spits in the face of all the modders who have made things like this and more available for free for years. Why would I buy this DLC if I can just find it on the Workshop? Sure there version is arguably nicer, but I'd be willing to settle for less to prove a point.

And I'm well aware servers and what not don't pay for themselves, but this short-term cash influx is offset massively by the long term damage to the community player base, whom I will remind you have stuck through some of the jankiest times with this game. This DLC might as well be a massive middle finger to those people, who sung this games praises while so many griped and pointed out her numerous flaws.

Some people might remember the .99 USD per piece Halloween engineer skin two Halloweens ago, and how bad the backslash was from that, and thankfully Keen never did it again, and forget/forgave them, but here are one more time, but instead of poking their head into the rabbit hole, they dove right in.

Keen I beseach you, consider what you are doing if this your plan for Space/Medieval Engineers going forward, no matter the sweet nothings the Marketing Department is whispering in your ears, you are making a deal with the devil, see reason that this will be the first step to the end of Space/Medieval Engineers, and probably your studio as a whole. If you need money so badly find another way, don't go to DLC, don't become one of those game devs, there are other ways, host servers for a small fee, open a Patreon to support the game, but do not go down this road any father.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. KissSh0t Master Engineer

While I am "sort of" ok with this Decorative Extra Content, please do not become like Koei Techmo.

[​IMG]
    It's still driving me nuts that there is no reload animation / mechanic for the player held weapons....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MjasNick Trainee Engineer

Let me explain my point of view, which is so negatively reacted all sorts of fans. I'm not against the DLC as such, I'm against trying to turn this good project to suck. If you do DLC, then do qualitatively, as an example I can give ARK Survival, where each addition is almost a new game (I bought almost all of them). If the paid content will be good and interesting(3-4 hours in lenght) scripts(scenario) in unique star system, I'll be happy.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  17. Wastefield Trainee Engineer

Wow! I'm all in for this update and yeah - after these 5-6 years that I've been playing and following SE, I think I'm ready to give my support for the continued development of this great title! This DLC pack is very reasonably priced after all!

And now that I saw you added a very cool-looking console-block that displays a hologram of a blueprint, I just have to add a suggestion about a block/feature I've wanted for a long time: a "blueprint designer" or "ship designer"! I almost never use blueprints because I usually build whatever I need for the current job and I don't want to interrupt survival gameplay by going into creative even though it would be so much easier to build there by just placing and deleting blocks, using symmetry mode and even changing block placement distance! Or not having to worry about placing too many blocks before welding, then being unable to reach some of the inner ones...
    Be it a temporary "instanced virtual creative within survival" or something like a 3D-model editor, but there's very useful functionalities in creative to make designing and building ships (the core feature of the game) a bit easier, there has to be a way to bring these to survival (much like you managed to bring blueprints there through the Projector block)!

18. Iskaroth Trainee Engineer

I love the new Pack but I have an issue with the kitchen module. Where is the Coffee machine? Its the most essential part of every ships Kitchen module, and in most science fiction storys I read the heroes were caffeine addicted.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Thalyn Trainee Engineer

For such that it is worth, I'm going to throw my voice behind the argument that the cockpit should be part of the base game, rather than the DLC. Allow me to explain, though excuse the wordiness of it.

Firstly, I want to make it apparent that I'm not opposed to cosmetic DLC. Never have been, never will be. This is things like costumes, furniture, gestures, decals and the like. This is the kind of fluff that people can buy to make a contribution to the devs which has next to zero impact on gameplay. If you load up a ship and a chair is missing or inaccessible, which only serves the purpose of allowing you to sit down, what harm has been done? It may not look quite as nice but it's still perfectly functional. So long as the default offerings aren't deliberately crippled to make way for these things, than I say you can have at it all you like.

This goes for almost every block on offer in the new DLC. Can't use the lockers? Oh well, a few litres of storage gone. It couldn't be conveyored into the system anyway so it can't be critical. At best you could hide a few platinum ingots and some uranium in there. Can't sit at the desk? Well, you can still stand where it should have been, or next to it if it's actually there. It's not like that part of the corridor will suddenly disappear, decompressing the whole ship. It's all purely optional, and not having it just makes things look a little more dull.

The cockpit, however, is a fundamental game block. As soon as this comes into play, you start to encounter unnecessary complications with regards to gameplay. Load up a ship and it's missing? OK, you can fit another cockpit instead - but first you'll have to re-do some of the conveyor system, since its ports don't match any of the existing options. Find one in multiplayer and want to steal it? Same thing. But if your friend builds a ship in your world and you want to use it, and all it has is an Industrial Cockpit? Well, now you've encountered a one-of-a-kind situation: a ship which, no matter what settings are changed, you simply cannot use without it being modified, and not because it doesn't work.

Others may try to argue that there's some kind of competitive advantage to a more open cockpit. Perhaps there is, perhaps there isn't. That's not the issue, however. Even if it had all the visibility of flying from the inside of a letterbox, it would still run into exactly the same problems for exactly the same reasons. As such the issue is not aesthetic or even preferential, but one of basic gameplay. It's an unnecessary restriction which ultimately leads to frustration at worst, and it's a nuisance at best.

So add a chaise lounge, a player piano, a disco ball, a water feature, and a pinball machine; and Iskaroth's coffee machine, too. Create more skins than a tannery. But don't start making it tedious to share functional grids at the player's expense. And certainly don't be tempted to start offering unique or improved functionality via the same methods.

• Agree Agree x 6
  20. warpig2255 Trainee Engineer

Nice Job Keen you broke my server every time when i try to click (Hide Message of the Day) my game crashes... What is wrong with you DEVS dont you try things ? I pay for my server whos gona pay for the time ? Also who was that genius with the DLC pack and let players cant use the blocks thats so dump. Make your game stable and playibel and if you want to know where you could start begin there: https://support.keenswh.com/spaceen...l/status/all/category/all/sort/popular/page/1 more then 10 sides of bugs/problems you should fix. THEN you can sell things. I buyd the DLC and i cant play on my PAYD SERVER. And thats so fckn anoying. Fix this crap its getting really nerv wrecking #KEEN

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. jhorro Trainee Engineer

So this was it with the vanilla blocks, so I have to start using mods. I bought the game 2014 in early access, supported and now I have to pay again. I play only single player and there is nothing to play with. Single player - building a ship and going around with it and that is it. Empty space, paid blocks, empty game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. warpig2255 Trainee Engineer

Pretty much or you play on a modded server couse normal ones have problems.... But even on modded servers like i have Keen breaks something with every update.... everytime. And its a DONE GAME they sayd... I PAYD for DLC to play on my PAYD Servers and what we have ? People cant join or crash. I wouldnt be so pissed if there where bugs there are always bugs but to cant play is even more nerving....

Think about this : You wana play with your friend this game.
    You ask someone who plays it, or look videos like i do when i buy something.

And you ask me as a long time player: Would you recommend it ? I would say NO. In this state not.

God damn it #KEEN TEAM# fix your game make more tests and dont get greedy we all know EA and not many players like EA dont start with this shit here too. Thx.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Micle Trainee Engineer

I tell everyone that I play this game only because there is a programmable block in it. For me, this game is something like LEGO Mindstorms, where I can create programs and study C # in parallel. In my plans to combine the pilot's seat and monitor, make the mouse cursor displayed on the panel and make my own menu, drawn by the programmable block. In my plans to put satellites into orbit, so that they could report the real picture of what is happening on the map. It would be great in the future to attend programming lessons on the example of this game.[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  24. NSI-Gromit Trainee Engineer

Why don't you use Eikester's mod named "(DX11) Kitchen" ? You'll find there a coffee machine you need and more...

25. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

You get one thing right - you take the leap and do twenty things wrong - I wish this wasn't your pattern Keen. Paid DLC For decorational blocks - especially when there's already workshop support for ALL of these blocks that DO NOT require additional recompense is a bad move. Also speaking of workshop - you do realize that like your other P2w content (skins) someone's just going to make an "unlocker" mod that causes that investment to be wasted.

On the Topic of LCDs - again your trying to divert our attention from the real problem - YOUR LCD scripts have NOTHING on Automatic LCDs 2 Script and that's a fact. Horizons were also again already available via player-made scripts. Clocks are so simple even *I* could make one that broadcasts it on a LCD - even a beacon. Fact is this "smokescreen" is just moving people further away from your modding community - the one thing that keeps SE Alive through the years. If you /really/ want to improve the game how about adding some ORIGINAL ideas :/
    --- Automerge ---
    Pretty sure that's not a good reason to paid for something that you could've gotten better, and easier for free....
    --- Automerge ---
    Not surprising - they weren't really "real" blocks to keen to begin with -- especially the space ball; Everyone laughed when they first released it in disgust at what Keen had time for that didn't matter :/
    --- Automerge ---
    The question is NOT wil we be able to use the OLD Cockpits, it's if we build a NEW Cockpit DLC-style will people without the pack be able to fly that ship? The answer is no.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

People need to get over the idea that they should be given things. I stated somewhere else on this forum , bottom line Keen is a business. Any goal of a business is to make $. You want more content from Keen, well they have to pay their talent somehow.... If you don't want it don't buy it. It will not change your game play if you do not get it.
    Quit griping, grow up and move on. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. Wastefield Trainee Engineer

I really like the DLC blocks, great work! And indeed, the whole development has been people want this, people want that... Then they added so many things that were even listed at the game's release as "things not originally planned". They've made it clear that they'll continue both the improvements/fixes for all and include some optional dlc extras at the same time to keep funding continued development. I seem to remember it was even the players' suggestion to just make and add the decorative blocks as a paid DLC that they'd be happy to buy as Keen was struggling with resources for everything requested?

But I have to note the "Industrial Cockpit" lacks a large conveyor port on small grid... I always use that large connection on my welder ships so I can freely move steel plates and tubes etc freely between all inventories as well as the character's own inventory. Many times I do that also with other types of ships...it's just annoying, having to jump out to get a hydrogen bottle refilled in an O2/H2 generator!
    But for the constructor ships - should really have that in a cockpit meant for industrial use...

28. Thalyn Trainee Engineer

The reason you pay for it is to support the devs. That's all. Yeah, you could probably get a lot more - and possibly a lot better - from the workshop for free. You always could, and it's no different now. But that doesn't show your support for Keen.

This is a "quid pro quo" situation. Something for something [else]. You could probably just send Keen money to show your support, but this way lets you have something in return. It's not about trying to usurp the workshop or stick it to the people who made similar items before - it's just a way to provide monetary support to Keen themselves.

I still stand by my observations on the Industrial Cockpit, however. If it were an exact 1:1 substitute for an existing cockpit (basically just a skin) than I might feel differently, but it isn't. It's an inconvenience which people pay good money to introduce to their games.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  29. Tippin Trainee Engineer

Perfect. Thank you Keen. Really love the new blocks and more than happy to pay for them to support you. I have never understood how people will pay £3 for a coffee which gives them maybe 5 minutes of joy but won’t spend £3 on DLC to support the devs and bring possibly hours of joy. Like I said, more than happy to support you guys I’ve more than had my money’s worth and please make more I will buy them too. One less coffee this week...

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. Michael Neumann Trainee Engineer

Really nice.
    Ilove this update and I'm happy to get the most blocks I love from several mods in the decorative pack (Holo-Table, Toilet and industrial cockpit) now I need three mods less than befor. I had Mods with much new block and I only used one of it.
    Good work. =)

In spite of all:
    I've had no probleme to pay 3.59 EUR for decorative Pack. The opposite is the case.
    But I must say that a few critics are right. The industrial Cockpit is more than a devorative block. It functional. I see your effort to avoid a splitting in community, but in my opinion is that not the right way with that special block.
    I would have bought the DLC also, if the cockpit would have been unlocked for everyone and I think I'm not alone with that opinion.
    I recommand you to think about it to unlock it to every player. I see it in forums/chats of other SE-communities, that now that's happend what you wanted to avoid: A splitting of the community in "They've done right"- and "Big misstake Keen"-guys.

At least let me say: Thanks a lot to the developer-team and all involved guys. You've made a nice job. ;)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.