Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version [Extra] --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

UPDATED: [1.181.0 - 1.181.3, Multiplayer] Airtight Hangar Doors (and others) Killing Players

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Selwyn Coy, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Selwyn Coy

The bug:
    Any type of door will begin killing players if they attempt to walk through it (or touch the block.) This bug doesn't happen constantly, but once a given door becomes deadly, it will remain deadly until the server is restarted.

Blocks affected:

Airtight Hangar Doors, Sliding Doors, and regular Doors.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Try to walk through the door; in the case of the Airtight Hangar Doors, try to walk through the 4-block area the door would occupy if it were closed. For Sliding or Regular Doors, either try to walk through the door or touch any part of the block.
    2. If the bug is occurring, you will die instantly.
    3. Repeat to your heart's content.

Player Log File:

Server Log File:

Note: Both log files are from the same session.

Aaaand, have an animated .gif just for fun. ;)

UPDATE:
    The doors don't kill us as long as they aren't completely open. It's safe to walk through the doors while they are closed, or in the process of opening or closing, as long as the animation is in progress. However, as soon as the door is completely open, it'll be deadly again. We also seem to run into the issue more often after moving the grid that the doors are attached to.

UPDATE 2:
    Okay, sometimes they kill us while they aren't completely open. We restarted the server and everything was fine, but after cycling one set of doors 3 or 4 times, every door on the server became deadly. It seems to be an all-or-nothing kind of bug.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 3
  2. Samoangtagey

I have similar issues. Only difference: It seem to only effect "movable" grids, vehicles (therefor cars, ships, etc.). On a static grids (ground base) the doors seem not to become "lethal".

sincerely,

Samoangtagey

3. Arcturus

Did the guy in a red suit, who had his jetpack turned on, get thrown backwards?

4. Zoladen

I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh at how silly that looks. I mean, it sucks that it happens, and I have issues with being able to walk through the hangar doors while they are closed, but I haven't had that happen yet. I guess we'll see when I get home this evening.

It's seems to get more funny the more I watch too...

5. Forcedminer

i do hate to laugh but that image looks like your engineer just tripped over. :p

6. Selwyn Coy

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's hilarious. Our ship has become one big floating OSHA violation, and I'm now in dire need of a "Wet Floor Sign" prop. :p

That said, now that we're in space it's borderline impossible to get out of our ship unless we cut our way out, since all of the exits are protected by various airtight doors. A friend tested the doors again with the new update and they still appear to be broken. Gonna go ahead and post a link to the bug report in the change log thread.

7. chrisb2e9

I've had some hilarious deaths due to this. I noticed that it's better when I leave all my doors open. Any change in atmospheric pressure usually results in an insta kill.

8. Arcturus

Post the .gif as well as the link.

9. Samoangtagey

[Update: 1.181.1] Still seem to happen, but also: I only witness this problem on vehicles/ships. Stations seem not to have that issue.

10. fxds

I can't speak for the guy in the red suit, but I've experienced this bug as well and after respawning I've found my body thrown hundreds of meters from where I died.

11. Selwyn Coy

Gave this a try after reading your reply. Unfortunately, some time after opening all the doors, we still got the bug. Interestingly, we've also been killed by our vents a few times...we haven't been able to figure out exactly what triggers it yet, since they've killed us with decompress both on and off. Once I get some footage of it I might throw that up in a separate bug report.

I haven't tested the bug on stations yet; the problem certainly seems to get worse when the grid the doors are attached to moves around a lot. I'll have to temporarily convert our ship to a station and see if the problem persists.

Done and done.

12. Arcturus

Theory: the door applies a massive force to the player, causing them to die and if they are not anchored due to a walking/jumping animation (i.e. jetpack ON) it causes them to gain massive velocity. How curious. Does the door think it is moving, or is it just full of hate for all life?

13. Selwyn Coy

See, I was getting the impression that - since doors take up their entire operating area when open, effectively switching between transparent and non-transparent - that there may be some sort of desync issue in their open/closed state. For example, an airtight hangar door takes up 4 blocks, even when "open;" if the game treats those blocks as solid objects instead of an open space, then perhaps it interprets the player trying to walk through the door as forcing themselves into a solid object, killing them instantly.

14. BondageFan

Can confirm with the sliding doors on my ship. It's like an angry bridge troll is on every doors. And the trolls bash your skull in instead of blocking your way.

15. Jens Müller

So, I dont know how I got the doors to bug like this.

Once this bug occurs it is reproduceable. The player gets damage when standing near the sliding door while openening/closing.
    This bug has been tested in Space with gravity, and without.
    It feels like some Air is explosively escaping the Sliding Door-Block to both sides.
    I did turn off Air Generators, but this bug appeared even minutes and several tries later.
    This bug also might appear to randomly kill the player standing next to the door, without opening or closing it.

Bug Setup:
    1 Floor (lets say 15 x 15 light blocks - big ship), 1+ Sliding Doors
    It seems like the Station is somehow moving while not being connected to a ship or sth else.
    This Bug occured on Windows 10

This seems not to behave like intended. Please correct me if I misuse the sliding door ;)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  16. Arly

This is happening to me as well in my survival world; even getting close to the door is resulting in your character being automatically killed.
    And it is also happening with the classic doors.
    • The bug only begins happening after a certain random amount of time playing; until then the doors work normally.
    • I believe the death is caused by the character being pushed back and hitting a solid object like a floor, wall or ceiling. When attempting to enter a door from space, the character is pushed backwards at a very high velocity, but takes little or no damage if you don't strike a solid object.
    • Attempting to walk through an open doorway is enough to trigger a death; you do not have to had opened or closed the door beforehand.
    • Exiting the game and restarting fixes the problem.

17. Forcedminer

just like the airtight doors. :/

18. Jens Müller

I think I found another puzzle piece:
    I only got this problem while these sliding doors where placed on a unconverted station, so a big ship construction. This might affect this situation

*Edit* I dont longer think that this is connected to oxygen.

19. mikeloeven

There is an easy way to test if its a decompression thats causing the death
    Try using the Airlock door mod
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=643820962

If it kills you just like the sliding door its a physics issue and you can rule out decompression since this block always remains airtight and will not trigger decompression

if the airlock functions normally but the sliding door keeps killing you its most likely due to the decompression

20. Arly

In my case, if it is a decompression kill, it is a bug. The doors in question are in a captured mining hauler, which is decidedly not airtight. I have retrofitted a small section on the top for crew quarters, but have not pressurized those sections, which were away from the doors in question in any case.

Also, you die in my game even if the door is wide open already; just attempting to cross the threshold results in an unseen force pushing you back; if you try to walk through it, you are killed.

21. Samoangtagey

First: There is already a Thread smilar to this, which I already posted in, just can't fid it right now.

So far I found out following:

• Seem not to happen on stations as long as set to station
    • Seem not to happen on Vehicles/Ships as long as anchored (like landing geard connect to ground, vehicles are in park mode)
    • As soon as a vehicle moves, or a ship releases landing gears, you better stay away from sliding doors !!!!!!
    So ... whatever is wrong with the doors, it only seem to happen on "movable" grids, more precise "grids that moved". Even if you stop afterwards and anchor again, the door keeps killing you until you restart the server (dedicated server in my case). You could safe the game with the new position of the vehicle where it's anchored and restart the server, and the doors will stop killing you until you move the vehicle/ship again. Air Pressure seem not to be the issue, because the vehicle I have is always on ground on an earthlike planet and always has pressure on both sides. The ship has been on planets and now in space, and same behavior, regardless if pressurized or not.

Sincerely,

Samoangtagey

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Forcedminer

how does this happen? im more amazed than anything.

23. Samoangtagey

I wish I knew .... I guess the DEVs too :D For now it's just fact it happens... so ... either grinding out all sliding doors for now or just stop using these vehicles/ships for the time being ...

24. Jens Müller

I have no Idea how this bug gets triggered :D
    I hope it never shows itself again, only had it this one time for 30 min, and it disappeared after relaoding the game.

25. Selwyn Coy

Heyo, I recorded a similar bug with Airtight Hangar Doors, Sliding Doors, and Normal Doors. On our server, this issue appears whenever we cycle our doors a few times, particularly when we also change the air pressure inside our ship. I haven't had the time to test it on station grids, but we've encountered the issue in our large grid both in space and in atmosphere, particularly when the grid had been moving.

You can find my report over on this thread. Hopefully between the two of us there's some useful information!

26. Selwyn Coy

UPDATE: Bug still occurs as of version 1.181.3. See original post for full bug description. I've created a new .gif and uploaded a new pair of server logs:

My log:
    Blue Player's log:
    Dedicated Server log:

27. Arcturus

If you turn off the ship gravity, and then coast into the killer doors slowly on jetpack with dampeners turned off, does it throw the body away at high speed or do you just stay put?

28. I23I7 Tester Developer

Merged threads and giving some attention to this bug as we speak.

29. Arcturus

30. Delizin

I've been having this happen to me a lot in single player. It seems to happen more often after moving my large ship around, but if I convert my ship to a station then back to a ship I can safely walk through the doors again.