Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Uses for bounding box information?

Discussion in 'Programming Questions and Suggestions' started by CptTwinkie, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. CptTwinkie Moderator

I've been seeing a lot of interest in information about bounding boxes lately. I haven't needed it for what I've been doing so I don't really know what anyone is using it for. I was just wondering then what some of the uses might be?

2. Malware Master Engineer

Collision avoidance for automated drones is one.

3. CptTwinkie Moderator

Collision avoidance was the only thing I thought of (using it for a maintenance drone specifically had not occurred to me). What I can't figure out is how the bounding box will help exactly. You would need to know where the object to be avoided is and that means a handful of sensors. So where does the bounding box come in?

4. fabricator77 Apprentice Engineer

The bounding box will tell you how big the ship/station/asteroid is. If you have to fly around something to avoid it, knowing how big it is helps.

5. CptTwinkie Moderator

That's my point though. You can't know how big the other thing is from a programming block. It's a separate grid or in the case of an asteroid not a grid at all

6. mhalpern Senior Engineer

no but you know how big the drone is, therefore how quickly it should allow itself to turn to give room for sensors to stop a collision, if its a big ship, with a limited ability to stop its rotation, it must rotate slower to compensate for its size and the limited sensor range

7. CptTwinkie Moderator

Good point

8. Malware Master Engineer

Isn't it also possible to access the last detected entity from the sensor? I think I saw that somewhere...

May have been a script mod and not ingame script though, I couldn't be sure.

9. mhalpern Senior Engineer

Also if you were to store a station's bounding box information on a drone, or at least some of it, perhaps a set of coordinates based on it even, it could make autopilot drones more efficient in their return functionality, generating a set of way-points to get to the target connector that would minimize sensor use to a degree would be very useful, also could help adjust to a degree when sensor piloting. That is of course assuming the bounding box information is a little more detailed than a cube around the extents, in which case it could be used to trim down when sensor piloting is activated reducing lag.. To account for obstructions, a basic "is there something in front of me" sensor might be left on for the journey, but the more you can trim down sensor usage the better, both in quantity of sensors active and (more importantly) the area they cover, if you have information stored as to the bounding box of your autopilot drone's target, it could allow it to slow down later and have a much smaller sensor range for smaller drones, this would also help if you had a predetermined entry and exit path set, that would prevent the occurrence of cross-traffic between automated drones, and by extension, prevent collisions. Even when we get antenna access, however, I don't know if it'd be good for total collision avoidance, mainly for fine tuning a set path, I mean for weaponized auto pilot I would use it to calculate a general set of way-points to avoid friendly large ships if they still have their antennas, before deployment, continual retrieval of the information seems like its just a lot of data to be sending around constantly.

10. Malware Master Engineer

A bounding box is per definition just that, a box. 8 points. No more detail. Doesn't have to be a cube though, can be a cuboid.

You'll have to go down into the grid's cube level if you want more detailed information than that.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.