Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Using Antennas with a hidden Base

Discussion in 'Survival' started by delabu, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. delabu Apprentice Engineer

Is there a way to use antennas to navigate back to my deepish space base on a PVP Survival server?

Just slapping a beacon/antenna on and maxing the range will obviously advertise my base's position to everyone.

I thought of a trail of antennas from my base to the asteroid cluster. Problem here is, if someone finds any one of the antennas, they can just fly right up to it, which will reveal the next one in the chain, and so forth until they have followed the trail back to my base.

It would be really convenient if there was a way to set them up so that I can use them as navigational aids without revealing my base's position.

2. Evil_Tom Trainee Engineer

If you're going for navigational aid, rather than a long distance communications/remote control method you could do something like point the antenna in the direction of your base (or the next antenna out of range) (or opposite direction as long as you remember the orientation). Then you don't need to have another antenna in range of the directional one for you to find your way home.

Of course the major disadvantage of this will be that you lose visibility of your base and also remote control.

There is also the risk that someone might decipher your message/pointer too. If this is the case they will probably be savvy enough just find your base anyway.

3. Floki Apprentice Engineer

4. stellarfirefly Trainee Engineer

You can make an antenna directional? How is this done?

5. yokse Trainee Engineer

a waypoints system inside the ships can solve this big problem...(you need capture the ship to know the enemy base position)
    actually is a griefer paradise...

my idea:
    http://forums.keenswh.com/post/waypoints-block-7001511?highlight=waypoints&pid=1283630509#post1283630509

sorry for my english.. :)

6. Cronos988 Junior Engineer

Could you elaborate on how this is working, and how the "layers" of security work? From your graphic I assume that you can see any antenna that is inside the broadcasting range of any friendly antenna, but an enemy will only see the antenna once they are inside the antennas own broadcasting range?

7. Evil_Tom Trainee Engineer

I apologise. I should've been a little clearer as what I said was ambiguous. There is no way to make the antenna directional or forming the 'beam' into a different shape.

I merely meant that being as the antenna is usually longer in one plane than the other, you could have it physically pointing in the direction of your base. Almost like an arrow, but only you will know.
    This will mean that it's potentially no-where near your base. People can come along and see the antenna but not see your base at all. All you need to do is go to the antenna, align your self with it and head off until you see your base.

8. delabu Apprentice Engineer

Floki's method is to see active beacons at the roid field from your base. It will not work as a way to navigate back home. So it's not applicable to my question. When you are at the roid field in Floki's diagram, you will only see the detector antenna and the "outer antennas". The last inner antenna's transmission range is too short to notify the outer antennas where it is.

If you turn up the inner antenna range, you will see your base from the roid field BUT enemies simply have to follow the antenna trail by flying to each one (until the next one becomes visible), following the breadcrumbs right to your base.

So, for now, there is no way I can find to set them up to provide SAFE navigation for your faction.

9. Evil_Tom Trainee Engineer

It's probably not possible then at this stage.

There's a way to note down the coordinates of your base and your position to find your station. Otherwise just go in the direction of the main star/sun in the system. Although a few people do that, so you should be careful.

10. delabu Apprentice Engineer

I won't play on a server without XYZ coordinate beacons (it's one of the dos and don'ts in my topic in my sig). So, on those I can at least go back to my deep space base. Of course it's a bit fiddly and effort. A nice antenna solution would have made life easier, though.

11. Evil_Tom Trainee Engineer

It would be nice if there were 'faction' encrypted transmissions. So you perhaps you can see the original relay that's transmitting, but not what it's transmitting Ie: location beacons.

12. Cronos988 Junior Engineer

The antenna could just send the suit an encrypted message containing the position of the base relative to the antenna and any other reference points available, resulting in your suit displaying the position to you without any beacon ot antenna at the base. In gameplay terms: You can set and display waypoints, perhaps with the help of an antenna or similar.

13. raystmr Trainee Engineer

What they need to add to make this work is to create Frequencies and passcodes that way to unlock the signal you need to know the Frequencies your fraction is using then the code so you can connect to the arrays. The cool part of this now you can add an entire new level to the PVP game where you have people hacking other faction codes and maybe even be able to send orders between ships. I think the XYZ readouts need to be add as well to tie this entire thing together. You can also make signal detectors where the person has to scan around until they signal gets stronger that way they can trace it back so many ways you can make this work so let's see where the Dev team takes us.

14. Cronos988 Junior Engineer

You cannot "encrypt" the source of a signal. The only realistic way to make sending antennas less visible is a "beam" sending mode that only sends in a very narrow cone. We just need some kind of map/navigation system and using antennas/beacons to find your base will be unnecessary.

15. elch Apprentice Engineer

This ^^

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.