Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Using Gravity Generators to Eject Unwanted Stone

Discussion in 'General' started by Spaceman Spiff, Apr 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yeah...I'm a purist...I don't like stone. OK, now that I've gotten that out of the way...

I'm building a super-duper mobile miner/refinery thingy, and I thought it would be spiffy (excuse the pun) if I could eject the excess stone away from the vehicle while mining. I once built a gravity generator cannon that worked on planets, but have since lost the blueprint. I tried reproducing it for this application, but the stones just sit there looking like...well...stones instead of launching horizontally away from the vehicle. Are gravity generators now completely disabled on planets?

• Like Like x 1
  2. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Gravity generators only work in partial gravity. Like on the moon it will add .75g to give you 1g. On planets (moons) you can not go beyond 1g. (Unless of course is a modded planet that has more than 1g) but the generators will not give you more than 1g even if you stacked 100 of them.

3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

It used to work. Bah! (Me spitting on ground.)

4. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

You might want to have a look at the Chutes mod. It works best if you up your object count so rocks don't disappear too quickly.

5. Malware Master Engineer

No. It didn't. GGs were always shut down on planets. If there was a time where it did work it was during a very short time - and a bug.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roxette Senior Engineer

No problem, use a rotor. Either an advanced rotor with radial conveyor lines attached and connector set to 'throw out' on the end, or use a rotor to spin a heavy armour block paddle and have the 'throw out' connector mounted above it. Either of these will achieve your objective perfectly well with no risk at all. >.>

• Like Like x 1
  7. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

I thought gravity generators worked on planets/moons if the planet/moon gravity were 0.25G or less. I thought gravity generators worked on the moon, for instance. Badly, but they worked.

8. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I thought of that, too; I just haven't tried it. The advanced rotor concept sounds interesting, but only if I can get the timing correct so I don't end up throwing rock back at my mining rig. The ideal situation would be to have a script that activates "throw out" when the rotor hits a certain angle.

9. Roxette Senior Engineer

Proof of concept :
    [​IMG]

10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yes...and no. I want to exhaust the stone out the rear of the mining rig. Your concept sort of "helicopter's it" in all directions. In its own way that would be cool and would certainly discourage players from getting too close when it's tossing ejecta. Just think, player died getting crushed by a flying rock. Now that's cool!

11. Malware Master Engineer

I just dump it behind the vehicle with ejectors without any further ado.

12. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I used to dump stone out the back also, but now that I can get "free" Iron, Nickel and Silicon from it I do tend to keep more stone around now. I do of course run a mod to keep the gravel to a minimum. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Roxette Senior Engineer

Actually, if it's a local game, just set <MaxFloatingObjects> to a low number say 5 to 10 and it becomes much less of a problem.

14. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. I've also set up a dump on the refinery side for the gravel (for the stone that does make it through the conveyor sorter).

15. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Just don't accidentally toss out the sorcerers stone!!!!!!!!!! :)

16. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Nah. The only thing I'll toss with a gravity generator on a planet are my cookies.

17. dispair Apprentice Engineer

For a while I had two ejectors on the bottom dumping stone. Add them to a group and turn it off near your base. I decided all those stones rolling down hillsides probably used CPU time so I stopped doing it. Now I dig a small pit and have the station dump into it so they don't roll around. Of course its gravel... the new stone. As mentioned by rox and spaceman, I keep objects count low so they get cleaned up.

Even though stone can now be processed, it is not efficient, my new 4 drill miner ejects stone. A sorter and 2 electors with a hot bar key to turn them off. Its probably an osha violation to eject stone from an aircraft. :)

18. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

I may be out of date on this, but I think they removed player collisions with mined rock/etc. I can remember hand-drilling little caves in asteroids and "bumping" rocks into a corner to keep them from bouncing out of the cave and into deep space. They last time I was seriously playing though, rocks no longer collided with me (they just pass through). Vessels/vehicles would be another matter I suppose.

-Morloc

19. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Hey, I was just speaking figuratively, not literally.

20. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

I have be fooled. I wear the Stone of Shame.

:(

-Morloc

21. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

22. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

Hmm? I've always thought of you as acute...

-Morloc

23. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I am everything to everyone.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.