Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

USS HAVEN Warship 361 (Armor Refitted)

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Evenlease, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Evenlease Trainee Engineer

Hello everyone, and welcome to the USS Haven! My first fully finished Warship.

I suggest watching the above video if you want to know what each button does in the Command/WAR room.

Ether that or figure it out/change the layout of the buttons.

>>> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=302536750 <<<

Armor refit complete! Let me know what you think! Please.

2. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

S+ Ship interior

I did watch all 22min video and didnt notice its so long with all details and function on ship :rof:
    ( I didnt like rooms with same function next to each other and only few security turrents, but its my personal taste :p )

3. Fab Apprentice Engineer

Engine are too close to eachother. Bridge exposed. The structure that links the engines to the body can be destroyed easily. Consider re-building or re-designing.

Also, that hull is pretty bland.

4. Evenlease Trainee Engineer

Thanks for the feedback, with this info I can begin a refit on the USS HAVEN.

As this is really my first fully finished ship, I'm proud of it. But I know it'll have its flaws, hoping I'll make top quality ships soon.

Fail, Learn, Try again.

5. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Owch. I winced at the feedback there :p

One vitally important thing to remember when building ships is the community here represents many, many different crowds with many different ideals, tastes and opinions. I think the biggest problem as someone making 'show ships' in creative (as I myself do) is the larger part of the community lean more towards the survival side of things, where very different criteria are used to judge a ship and in fact making something that is both interesting to walk around and practical for survival is borderline impossible with the way the game is designed. For example, why have anything other than as many engines and guns as you can fit on an armored box; no excess space beyond ships systems is in any way necessary.

I used to see a lot of small 'large' craft posted on here and on steam which just seemed bland, boring and at times downright ugly yet getting rave reviews and downloads and it took me a while to realize that they were indeed being judged on their merits as an easy to build, hard to kill survival mode piece. It's almost like we're playing two games here. On top of that personal tastes play a big role - I'm not a fan of some of the (often well rated) industrial style stuff that is made, preferring to build sleeker stuff myself; but then I know some people dislike my style.

Finding the line to walk is very complicated. My Osiris for example is mostly a very combat ready vessel and based around 'realistic' interiors including crew quarters and facilities. There are however parts of it (like the gyro corridor) which make absolutely no sense from a realism/practicality value - it's there purely for aesthetics.

Decide why you feel something is right or wrong. Huge cruisers flown by 2 guys because of advanced AIs? Sure! The same ship needing 50 crew (and all the accommodation to go with it) because of the limits of AIs? Also fine! When making a show piece it's up to you to decide how things are done, and often if you explain it to people it becomes part of your style.

There's a lot of merit in what you've done already and a lot of your interiors are very polished. Not every ship has to have the excessive detail many of us aim for - a good overall shape and a decent paint job do wonders. Take the Normand SR2 (Mass Effect) for example... the overall shape actually has very little detail and variation yet styled correctly she's one of my favorite star ships.

In short, a damm good start, don't take any negativity to heart and build what you enjoy!

6. shark2199 Trainee Engineer

Bridge is there to be exposed, the CIC should be hidden away.

7. Evenlease Trainee Engineer

Just did an Armor Refit on the USS HAVEN! Let me know what you guys think :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This should fix some of the concerns before the refit.

8. David Halston Apprentice Engineer

That interior is really good, Better than most pretty much all of my ships. It was like you built it from the inside out. The exterior is okay but since it's a warship i dont think look really matters. My battlecruiser trashes other people with looks but it's weapon and interior is very lackluster. The bridge being exposed is okay, most of my ships are built like that because i believe the pilots' best tools are the traditional Mark One Eyeball. Combat Information Center, will be extremely well guarded. Maybe add more armor to the engines' connection but everything else pretty much clicks into place. Oh, and that ship isnt THAT big, this is big :D
    [​IMG]

9. Agnar Apprentice Engineer

Just like Tristavius said, there's two main groups of people here... I also build my creative ships more for show than functionality, because I find the super efficient min/max ships boring. (Just a personal opinion)
    I love glass bridges, and they are obviously a week point and thats the first thing people tell me, but at the end of the day the pilot would like a view, and the battle bridge can be secure.

The only thing I would personally change from the version shown in the video is the drop from deck 3 to the flight deck, it doesn't quite look right to me.

But I wanted to say I AM IN ABSOLUTE LOVE with your CIC. Especially the battle lighting for the whole ship!

Moving forward, build what feels right to you, don't put too much stock in community feedback

10. Evenlease Trainee Engineer

Thanks so far for the comments guys! :D

@David Halston: I actually did create the ship from the inside out, I put the rooms up before the walls.. And I probably will continue to do that as it felt more natural to me :thumb:

@Agnar: Thanks, the CIC was a big pain in the rear due to already placing all the turrets and thrusters before deciding to do that.
    So I had to go in and rename each and every one so I could group them accordingly.

11. Leon026 Apprentice Engineer

For big ships especially, I think its also important to point out on the reason it was built. I think making an art piece certainly has its merit, as does making a utilitarian ugly-duckling for survival mode. But I for one would be also interested in seeing "technology demonstrators", where its more about the inside and how its built, rather than the design and 'survival mode functionality'.

There's always a specialization 'minority' in each category, and I know that when it comes to fighter designs for example, I'm incredibly picky, but there's also less people designing fighters due to how finicky it can be. The large ship crowd is definitely more cut-throat with no punches held though.

In the end though I think if you're building ships just to get rave reviews and downloads from 'customers' other than for yourself, then you may have your objectives and priorities a bit mixed up...

12. Agnar Apprentice Engineer

This +9000000000000000000

13. Evenlease Trainee Engineer

Well guys, I'm not posting here to get rave reviews and be congratulated, if that happens then cool... But I'm here to get criticism, suggestions, did I do good, how can I improve?

I want to become a Master Ship Builder. Thanks for any feedback.

14. David Halston Apprentice Engineer

Ehhh
    Your interior is top notch, but your exterior is very lackluster, im sorry. Try experimenting with different blocks/wings/moving parts to create something good lookin.
    I'll give you an example of my WIP ship the USS Savannah, part of the USSC fleet (United States Space Corps). Sorry if it's a lot of pictures, I dont usually post this many pics on another member's post but i thought you might want to see into other's people works and how they create them. The ship is mostly unfinished (I just started construction today) and she's on top of my priority list, aside from beating Mass Effect 2 over again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's 2 moving thingy on the top, i thought it looked cool. There's also 2 moving wings on the bottom. You dont necessarily need to make them flap around or somethin, just give the boring straight edge a little slanted look. You can also add different parts protruding from the ship's main body to give the ship that modular/industrial look without breaking the overall aesthetic of the ship if you know how to round/decorate them really well. Seeing that you know a lot about the game this shouldn't be a problem at all to you probably. Adding rotors to ships might spawn some navigational problems and you need to secure the moving part with landing gear to stop them from moving about when you're turning.

15. Evenlease Trainee Engineer

Alright @David Halston, thanks for the suggestions. I will continue to work on the USS HAVEN. Through battles and wars, its design will continue to improve for better crew survival and battle readiness.

16. Fab Apprentice Engineer

You still should reconsider the placement of the main engines, sorry if I'm being annoying, I'm actually helping you make a better ship.

17. freshmango55 Apprentice Engineer

Looks nice, exterior is a bit strait forward (Another words, has a low visual profile and enemies don't know where to shoot other than the nacelles.) and interior is nice and diverse.
    I suggest increasing the thickness/width of the beams connecting your nacelles as was previously mentioned by Fab.

Not sure where he would relocate the main drive besides the two side pods.

18. NMEofCHAOS Trainee Engineer

Great interiors! How do you build inside out or outside in?

19. freshmango55 Apprentice Engineer

Upon testing of the beams that connect the nacelles they are actually more durable than they look, it took about 2 torpedoes to sever the drive pods off the main body.

Though upon testing of the main body the armor was rather fragile for future reference I would suggest trying to place your C&C deck in the bowels/center of your ship or most armored area. (I hope you don't mind me testing your ship and posting the results here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Though not much could stop this torpedo, it's always good practice to put your control area in the most armored area of your ship as well as your reactors.

20. Evenlease Trainee Engineer

@NMEofCHAOS I built this ship from the inside, feels more natural to me to start from the interior.

@freshmango55 I love that you're testing the ship, put it through all the paces you like man! If you really want to you can test out my newest the USS Glory as well!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.