Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Valve (Steam) changes revenue split... and Bethesda.

Discussion in 'General' started by Ronin1973, Dec 4, 2018 at 18:44.

1. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Space Engineers has sold over 1 million copies as far as I know. Valve's new revenue split policy means more profit for Keen's future sales. I think of this as big news in an already turbulent month of video gaming.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/valve-introduces-revenue-split-changes-231421770.html

Epic Games is starting a competitive online store but only taking 12% of revenue.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/04/f...steams-head-with-epic-games-store/?yptr=yahoo

To mean this is big news. Game developers of Keen's size will be more profitable on Steam and even more so by jumping ship to Epic's platform.

But the take away is that a Space Engineers 2 could be a much more profitable endeavor. Keen sent out a recent survey asking about future titles. So I feel this will play into the decision making greatly.

If Keen switched to another service, besides Steam... would you subscribe if SE or SE2 was the anchor tenant?

I'm just curious and in no way affiliated with any of the above besides being a subscriber.

On the other hand, Bethesda is being raked over the coals for releasing Fallout '76 in such an incomplete state. How do you feel this will affect early-access titles and what qualifies for a "gold release?"

2. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

OK, can we please stop talking about this SE2 BS when SE hasn't been finished? There is still a Survival Major to be released, and many MANY bugs that are years old that still persist to this day.

Edit: I would buy SE1 (again, as a gift) on Epic's platform after it is finalized to a respectable level.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018 at 19:36
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Roxette Senior Engineer

... "finalized to a respectable level" ... it's never going to happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Keen is already talking about it. Sorry if the mention of it triggers you.

5. Malware Master Engineer

Eh, they're just thinking ahead. Nothing wrong with that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Keen talking about it isn't the issue. They're a business and need to plan ahead to stay competitive.

US talking about it like it's OK that they're moving on from an incomplete project gives them the wrong impression. OP's post is business focused and I personally am fine with that part of the topic. I just want to make it clear that that is what is being discussed, and not some sort of 'Gosh there's a new shiny to talk about'!

From a psychological perspective, the more you talk about SE2, the more SE becomes old news (and Keen knows this).

7. bleakhead Trainee Engineer

KeenSWH described Space Engineers as follows
    "Space Engineers is a sandbox game about engineering, construction, exploration and survival in space and on planets. Players build space ships, space stations, planetary outposts of various sizes and uses, pilot ships and travel through space to explore planets and gather resources to survive."

All of the mentioned features are already implemented in the game. The game itself is Beta. I think there is no rule for that, but you can say that an alpha stage is for implementing features and beta to fix bugs. Space Engineers is in the Beta. I do not think, that they will bring Space Engineers to a higher level with new features. In my opinion, it is better to start a new Game after the Beta has ended.

Maybe a new start will solve problems that they have with liquids and do not forgot medieval engineers. Maybe they will move some devs to them, while the others start the first steps in the development of the Space Engineers 2 Game.

But this Thread goes away from the key post.

8. mojomann71 Junior Engineer

I still manage to have fun in SE, but would I buy it again if they switched platforms? Not unless I got a discount for already owning it. If they wanted a full price from me then a definite no.

However, I am sure Steam keeps an eye on the competition and will probably adjust their rates to be more competitive to Epic. Maybe throw in some extra incentives to smaller developers etc.

Don't get me on the SE2 thing. Pretty sure it is not a thing, just talk of future endeavors.
    I agree SE2 speculation should be kept to a minimum.

9. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

You're such a Debbie Downer! (j/k)