Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Vanilla default missile acceleration, start and max speed

Discussion in 'Programming (In-game)' started by cheerkin, Mar 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. cheerkin Trainee Engineer

I'm tuning a predicted interception point logic, and have issues with precise missile travel time calculation. Right now I'm using hardcoded value of 195, which works more-a-less well.

I've checked the sources recently, and found this:

Code:
    if (ammoDefinition.AmmoType == MyAmmoType.Missile)
    	{
    		//missiles are accelerating, shotSpeed is reached later
    		var mDef = (Sandbox.Definitions.MyMissileAmmoDefinition)ammoDefinition;
    		if (mDef.MissileInitialSpeed == 100f && mDef.MissileAcceleration == 600f && ammoDefinition.DesiredSpeed == 700f)//our missile
    		{//This is very good&fast correction for our missile, but not for some modded exotics with different performance
    			//still does not take parallel component of velocity into account, I know, but its accurate enough
    			shotSpeed = 800f - 238431f / (397.42f + (float)(predictedPosition - Turret.GunBase.GetMuzzleWorldPosition()).Length());
    		}
    		//else {unknown missile, keep shotSpeed without correction}
    	}

This is quite confusing. 700 max speed?
    At 600m the equation above gives us ~560m/s average speed, but it seems very unlikely that a rocket would cover 600m in one second.
    Can anyone clarify this? How do you define speed function of the rockets in your aiming scripts?

2. Sirhamsteralot Trainee Engineer

afaik missiles are capped at 200m/s

3. Arcturus Senior Engineer

1. Sources found online are out of date, but
    2. that chunk of code is still in use when the game's current code is examined using C# reflection.

3. Missiles used to be 100 m/s initial, 700 m/s max speed with 600 m/s2 acceleration. This was changed in an update to 200 m/s max speed, causing missile targeting to be messed up. 01.179.0 or earlier.

4. Also, missiles still have 600 m/s acceleration, causing them to *push* against the 200 m/s speed limit.
    Launched sideways from a ship heading along X at 100 m/s, a missile initially has (x 100, y 100) m/s velocity.
    When it hits the speed limit it is travelling at (x 100, y 173) m/s, which has a vector magnitude of 200 m/s.
    A short time later it will be moving at (x 0, y 200) m/s.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. cheerkin Trainee Engineer

Thank you, that's very helpful. I found this via reflection (but probably not the latest libs) and just copied the original source for the sake of readability.

I guess the same truncation is applied to bodies in the natural gravity environment, right? Where can I find the exact function of how fast the remaining "side" component would be eaten by the normal component?

5. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Physics update steps are 1/60 of an in-game second (not a real life second due to sim speed ratio). This is about 16.7 milliseconds. Say a ship is flying sideways in-atmosphere at its maximum of 100 m/s and has a 10 m/s2 acceleration down towards a planet. In one step it gains 0.1667 m/s downwards velocity, so its total velocity is now 100.0001 m/s. Some vector math required. BUT now the game does the speed limit truncation, keeping the same vector direction, so it becomes 0.1666 m/s downwards and 99.9998 m/s. Some rounding error in there. Seems small, but your course starts to change until you align with the acceleration.

One of those players who programs in-game guided missiles and stuff once made code to crunch this math so they could drop unguided bombs at the right time from a fast-moving bomber. I forget where I saw that.

6. cheerkin Trainee Engineer

So I guess for x acceleration it is as simply as
    1. Apply the x velocity delta
    2. Reduce y respecting x^2 + y^2 < 100^2

7. Arcturus Senior Engineer

FTFY.

If the velocity of a ship was (80, 126.9) which is speed 150, it would scale like:

Velocity x 100/150 = (53.3, 84.6) which is speed 100.

8. cheerkin Trainee Engineer

Makes sense. Thank you again!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.