Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Voxel terrain on/near building blocks

Discussion in 'General' started by Kiin Kendov, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kiin Kendov Trainee Engineer

Hello

It is very difficult to put terrain voxels on and/or near building blocks.

For example I want to fill a inner corner of two stone walls with soil. It didn't end well.. it was difficult even in creative mode.. I had to cover with planks and move on with something else to calm down my nerves..

I also want to be able to pour soil ontop of building blocks, so that I can build underground storage without cheating in creative mode.

Are you reworking the voxels so that this will be easier in the future?

Best regards
    Kiin Kendov

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Hi, cool looking house plot you have going there :)

I had the same problem as you describe, trying to fill in soil gaps near the edges of blocks.

Then I discovered, just by accident, landscape stakes!

Check out this tutorial, http://www.medievalengineerswiki.com/index.php?title=Voxel_Terraforming

One thing though, be careful how far away from the ground you set them because you can create random 'tears' in the ground, like in my bug thread here (https://forums.keenswh.com/threads/bug-with-terraforming-tools.7399603/)

If you get those 'tears', they are kind of hard to get rid of, but other than that, the landscape stakes solve that problem of not being able to use the shovel to fill in edges near blocks. They are pretty handy, and they work along edges of blocks, unless my memory fails me. If not, you can temporarily remove the block, then shovel the dirt where your landscape stakes have your "plane" set, then put the block back in place and it will look just as if you had poured the dirt directly. That's how I created level ground around my structures without having to go into creative mode.

I don't think you can directly pour soil on top of blocks. If you want to build an underground storage, you'll have to get very creative about how you place the blocks. You can sort of do it, if you dig a hole big enough underground then start to line it with walls and foundations, adjusting the soil with further digging whenever it gets through the edges of blocks. I don't recommend using the landscape stakes to create vertical planes because as you saw in the screenshots of my bug report, it has some issues with creating tears when you use them regularly. If you try to use them vertically I think the algorithm will go crazy, but if you are brave enough you can try that. Might go faster. And try using three stakes to create the planes instead of four, as suggested in the thread if you decide to get ambitious with landscaping. That might help avoid creating the tears I got earlier on in the thread.

If you want to pour soil above ground, it gets a lot more complicated since you have to create the mound first, then dig into it to build a structure inside.

The landscape stakes are not perfect, but they offer an alternative solution to creative mode.

By the way, how did you get your vegetables to line up so perfectly? They look...like a real garden! :) (My vegetables are a total mess.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yurets Trainee Engineer

Unfortunately stakes work quite bad on small areas. For example I wanted to fill space between 2 parallel palisade walls in 1 block, but result was horrible. Making vertical planes maybe can work, but I'm not sure.

4. Kiin Kendov Trainee Engineer

Hi

I have done a lot of terraforming in ME and I have learned about the "tear"-bug, that you are describing, the hard way. I usually get the ground as I want it with the stakes, but never when close to blocks. sometimes I solve it like you describe; delete the block, pour more soil than needed, build the block again and then carefully take away unwanted soil.
    One of the problem now I think is that the shovel is also a weapon. when pointing at the block the animation switch to defend instead of pouring.. Second is that the block seems to be pushing the voxels away. I wish we could some how activate the side of the block so that the nearest voxels becomes slaves to the block = gets the shape of the wall.

The vegetables is planted in third person view, with the camera straight from above, if planted in large areas like the wheat. :)

Thank you for the nice comments! :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  5. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

One of the dirty tricks I like to do is make thin walls two walls thick to cover the vertical voxel gaps.

6. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

The best advice I can give is to not try to fill-in dirt around blocks. Remove the blocks, add the dirt, replace the blocks, and then mine the excess dirt away with a copper pickaxe.

7. sonicthe Trainee Engineer

I also found that when I dug the excess dirt out from one side of the wall, the shovel pulled more dirt away than I wanted, re-creating the hole I had filled in with the wall removed. I'll try @CptTwinkie's suggestion and update with how well that works when I get a chance.

8. MaxTheBuilder Trainee Engineer

Hmm just the copper pickaxe?

9. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

I recommended that one because it has the smallest cut radius. It makes it easier to remove small amounts

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

Oh i didn't know that different class of tools have different radius. I thought they have only smaller/higher durability and damage. Thanks :)

11. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

To be fair, it has been changing quite often while we worked on the new stats system and effects. We also re-balanced bronze to make it more useful recently. You can see the stats for the pickaxes on the wiki http://www.medievalengineerswiki.com/index.php?title=Category:Tag/Pickaxe

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.