Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

wanted ingame ships/engineer weaponery

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by xexcel, Feb 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. xexcel Trainee Engineer

hi here post about your idea for new weapon in S-E

personaly there are 3 types of weapon that i want and that for the 3 we can change color of the ammo as we want (plasma) (laser) and (E-M-P) plasma and laser have a turret and an usual small ship gun but E-M-P is only a small ship gun an there is a limited amont per ship

1 a powerful plasma canon that shot anywere but fast and powerfully that we use like the miningun and misile

[​IMG]

2. xexcel Trainee Engineer

2 laser that is long range and realy efective against small ships (low damage agains armor)

[​IMG]

3. xexcel Trainee Engineer

and 3 an E-M-P weapon that temporarly disables objects on a ship like light or weapon, propulsor and/or lower enrgy suply but dont make physical damage[​IMG]

4. ataaron Apprentice Engineer

FYI: A plasma weapon would be nothing else than a flamethrower. (At least if its not going to be a magical sci-fi shiny bullets gun) though you could compress it into a projectile but it would not be green.

And EMP weapons would not only stun your target/hostile so that's pretty useless.

5. Szakal Trainee Engineer

What I would love to see is some kind of heavy beam turret for large ships (But non-moveable, just like rockets in small ships), required to charge, not spammable, and with heavy space/energy requirements. I see no point of making other personel weapon and I ould not want to have single 'foot soldier' to be able destroy a ship or damage it badly. Only anti-personel weapons for them.

6. Thalion Apprentice Engineer

Definately not energy based weapons. Some kind of capital ship artillery is missing though. I won't need anything else new.

7. ataaron Apprentice Engineer

Rockets need to be slow when fired and then accelerate
    so a Cannon could fill the role of the current missile, though they have some rotational and directional recoil while missiles do not have any recoil (gives pros and cons and is still realistic)

8. Lippe Trainee Engineer

I think energy weapons and EMP are a must have.

Plasma weapons for close combat, loses power over greater distances
    Big Lasers to cut through armour and maybe an anti fighter version, the big version would be the best weapon to start a fight over long distances.

My suggestion to energy weapons is to limit the firepower and/or fire rate of lasers, plasma or rail guns via capacitor banks.
    The reactors load continuously the capacitors, but the energy consumption while shooting with max power is much higher, so you have breaks between firing.

For example Rail and Coil guns get powered by large capacitor banks, as you can see in the picture and the energy storage is the limiting factor today.

[​IMG]

9. DemonFiren Apprentice Engineer

I want something that is at least hypothetically possible in the time frame given (sixty years in the future). If you have to mess about with artificial gravity as handwave then fine, it's already established as such for sufficiently large constructs.

But please, watch the directed-energy weapons. Carefully.

10. DocTanner Junior Engineer

Railguns are a reasonable technology to have. Laser weapons? Maybe, but not like you see in most sci-fi. All a laser really does is generate heat. A sufficiently powerful one might be able to melt armor... but that's a huge amount of energy which would probably be more effective in another form.

As for plasma weapons... I feel like people don't actually know what that means and just use terms they've seen in games and tv shows.

11. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

You know... It's a little disturbing just how much emphasis is being made on "moar weaponz" suggestions and requests for implements of mass destruction. I'm beginning to think people are playing the wrong game :)

12. DocTanner Junior Engineer

"For every person who wants to build, there are always many who wish to destroy." Ancient proverb I just made up.

13. Leonhardt Senior Engineer

Hey, blowing stuff up is just a form of reverse engineering.

14. DocTanner Junior Engineer

That's my thoughts about mining: why use a drill when I have warheads?

15. DemonFiren Apprentice Engineer

Because warheads are likely to pulverise and otherwise render uncollectable materials you'd wish to gather?

16. DocTanner Junior Engineer

I mine to make holes in asteroids in which to build things. I know a lot of people like resource gathering and look forward to manual mode. ... I am not one of them. I have no intention to build in anything other than creative. So when I DO need a large rock of something, I tend to just edit the save.

17. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

Heh, perfect... I think that'll be my new motto!

18. DemonFiren Apprentice Engineer

Asteroid building...I tend to look for very large rocks, seek out the naturally-formed caverns and attempt not to alter them. The limitations this imposes I view as challenge.

19. Jakejud Apprentice Engineer

Large KE and HE rounds...... I'm not a fan of the pewpew.......

20. paswert Junior Engineer

Ahem...

[​IMG]

21. xexcel Trainee Engineer

tanks to everyone to come in here and post your opinions i apreciate it ;)

[​IMG]and DocTanner irespect your opinion but i have seen a lot of documentaries that speek of top secret U.S.A prototype

they at least got an big laser prototype that is fonctional and a lot more there was somes sites and pictures about it on the internet but... when you come to them it say that it was deleted by the gorvernement and they say that theses prototypes or a lie it is was a lie i think that they are beter to say that it is not beacause others nation will fear them more but they want to keep their weapon secret they may not yet have an army of space killer robot with laser guns but at least they have one big laser prototype
    i see that first in a documentary that speek about ONU and gouvernement of us that take the treath of an alien invasion realy seriously and the documentary was showing a lot o theories and somes secrets of somes planed strategies and there was ex U.S higt ranked soldiers that skeaket of secret weapon and that laser gun

so it may not be perfect and populat but we already have powerfull secret weapon on earth

nd no in the documentary they dont tell that green aliens will come from mars tomorow
    they speak seriously about that it is sure than life exist in another planet at least a lot of them and they find the one thing that may bring them in here no it is not gold like in cowboy v alien no for gold there is a lot more in somes small space rock 100 time all the gold on eart!
    that one thing is the life! the real gold of the universe and they may send some kind of mothership powered by ai cause its may be long to trave to their planet to us
    and we call them sending mesage in space so they are maybe already comming![​IMG]

or maybie we are one of the first life form in the universe and we will do the alien first
    just think about it and do your opinion warning dont watch too mutch scientific documentaries or you may end crazy like me
    im only a 15 year old canadian from quebec
    you need to see these 4 things http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2010/01/12/army-building-ultra-high-power-laser-guns/
    http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/140685-neutronbomb-baghdad.html
    http://randomimpulse.com/top-secret-navy-laser-weapon-info-released/
    http://xzonenation.blogspot.ca/2010/10/truth-behind-ufo-sightings-and-us-air.html

[​IMG]
    also a lot of documentaries and teories say that aliend are working with U.S
    [​IMG]

22. ctiberious Apprentice Engineer

I think we're more then 60 years away from having usable, effecient laser weapons. I supposed if you really wanted on it would be doable but you'd have to dedicate massive amounts of fusion reactors just for firing the laser and even then it's questionable.

I would like to see rail guns, though. I know someone made a post about rail guns being made of small blocks. The larger you make the gun, the more powerful it would be. Since rail guns are feasible now, they would definitely be valid in 60 years.

23. freshmango55 Apprentice Engineer

+1 for artillery weaponry

24. tomxp411 Apprentice Engineer

Wrong. The Navy is already testing lasers on ships.

http://www.intelros.ru/readroom/jfq/jfq-64-quarter-2012/12917-the-high-energy-laser-tomorrows-weapon-to-improve-force-protection.html

According to other documentation I've read from Boeing, one of the companies developing next-gen laser cannons, is that these guns are rated to fire continuously. There's no need to capacitor banks or recharge time. You throw a switch, it starts melting your target. You turn off the switch it stops. It can run for as long as your generators can supply power.

And the amount of power needed? Far less than Space Engineer's thrusters use right now. In fact, all things considered, a laser weapon may be the single most efficient way to defend your mining claim in space.

Here's something to think about: all weapons, be they bullets, missiles, or lasers, rely on energy transfer. When you fire a bullet, you're burning chemicals in the bullet casing to propel the projectile. There's a huge waste involved, though: the need to transport all that lead!

A laser simply takes electricity and turns it into light... which is turned into heat at the target. Current laser systems have a "wall plug efficiency" of around 25%, with 30% as a feasible goal. It is certainly possible to make lasers more efficient, which is one of the things Boeing is currently doing.

So what's the energy efficiency of a bullet? Currently, firearms only use about 32% of the expended energy to actually move the bullet. Oh, and you have to counter that motion with your ship's engines. So the efficiency of a bullet on a spacecraft is actually only 16%.

So purely from a thermodynamics standpoint, lasers beat bullets.

25. Leonhardt Senior Engineer

You might as well say "Hey, we have the Kuratas, so that makes Gundams completely viable for Space Engineers."

Those lasers are purely defensive, for shooting down small things, like drones or missiles, that follow a set path, and can be cooked over time until they melt or explode as the laser follows that same path. We're not going to get a working laser cannon that can punch through a meter of ship block with a single shot in under 60 years. And a laser that you have to sit and continually fire before heating up the impact point would be virtually useless in an actual dogfight, unless you happen across another player's base while he's AFK and have time to sit there and smelt his stuff, or are a 133t h4ck3r and use an aimbot to track him perfectly to melt off 1 block at a time.

26. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

+1 great idea.

27. DocTanner Junior Engineer

Specifically, lasers melt and weaken a very small part of the target object. It's wind sheer and atmospheric forces at high velocity that do the rest. In space, it wouldn't do much of anything.

28. Ice Forge Apprentice Engineer

Having both though, if you are continuesly heating up plating all over their ship while bullets are scratching its bound to tear some holes in it.

29. Igneous01 Apprentice Engineer

microwave laser turrets, guided missiles, flares and chaff. I know some people on the forum don't like the idea of guided missiles, but if we get chaff and flares, than I don't really see a problem - I'd prefer to have engagements that are similar to todays air combat standards than world war II.

30. Oselotti Junior Engineer

I'm very sure we will get guided missiles. Anyway it's not even missile if it's not guided but just a rocket propelled grenade. Also radio control for torpedos is needed. Also ECM for defending against them.

Heavy lasers are already coming fast to real work IRL but some people just hates them.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.