Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

War Horns for practical use.

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Ghostickles, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Open the drawbridge, close the gates, light the torches, raise the banner, stop the mill, ect.
    We have no remote control and with everything being a manual task the idea is to perhaps tie some of these actions to the sound of a horn. I am sure the guys are more than talented enough to figure out how to code this in and what should or should not be included, it seemed a nice way to give the game some remote functionality without sacrificing too much in the way of historic accuracy.
    I guess my suggestion is also more of a question; what would you have done when you blew the horn? Say if you had but three different 'tunes', what would you use them for in ME if it was a thing?

2. Yurets Trainee Engineer

Definitely drawbridge/gates. Since it's 2 block long it's not possible to open it from outside. It is also kind of logical use, player gives a command to a guard to open/close the bridge.

3. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

I really like that idea, but I see a problem.
    With that we'd have a sender, but what about the receiver part? You'd need somebody to hear and execute the signal, which would be a servant or something. Sure, you could use a static gate keeper model standing next to the gate, but I'm quite sure Keen would rather want the "real deal" (as in moving NPC with good AI). And that might be in the far future (0.7 I assume).
    So right now, this would rather be a great mod idea.

4. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

This also crossed my mind, but having no idea what is in the works for NPC's or other blocks/functions for the future hesitated to write too deeply. An SE style RC block and antenna (horn) combination, NPC's, or some other type of interface, its all what I meant by the guys can figure that out. Its the basic function is what I wonder; where should the lines be? If you could lower a bridge could you turn a handle? If you could light the torches could you also be able release a rope drum? All doors types or just large? What else would you want it to do? Summon a Horse?

5. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

Also: Would you command any servant that is the closest to the thing that needs to be activated, or would you assign a job to a servant first? Like, you there, you're a gate keeper now, you're a miller, you're a turn wheel turner?
    Another thing, would you carry one horn for each command, would activating it open a menu you could choose from, or (the coolest solution) a Zelda-like mechanic where you have to play the right melody (with a memory function for quick access)?

6. Yurets Trainee Engineer

For me it would be already good enough, if horn would increase range of interaction with objects. Then I just can imagine, that I'm just giving commands and imaginary servants do them. That would really help to turn on/off torches from the center of a big room, open gates, which are otherwise unreachable, and doors from distance.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.