Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Warheads Randomly not Exploding

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by subvironic, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. subvironic Trainee Engineer

Came across this issue building some Mines and Torpedoes, only Mod in use here is RB Compact batteries -
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=532433982

So i was Building Weapon Systems, like this one: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1309586867 When Mass-Launching Warheads i noticed, the First Warhead usually goes off, but if the next one arrives it bounces off harmlessly. I Testet: With and without sensor With an Additionial Timer to have a countdown and detonate now

Edit: Moar Testing Launch timers turn everything on, that works fine Sensors Are set to detonate now on Station (Test target), i can hear the beep beep they make. On Launch, each Warhead starts its countdown. I testet 3 Times, only around 20 to 23 of 72 warheads explode.

https://i.imgur.com/J63huzf.jpg https://i.imgur.com/J63huzf.jpg
    Demonstration Vid:

Warheads get Armed, Sensors have Power.

Sometimes the Munitions that bounced off wont even explode manually, but if cut and pastet back in they will sometimes.
    Behaviour is inconsistent as far as i can tell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Zhiila Tester Staff

Hi,

Can you share the blueprint?

Thanks.

3. subvironic Trainee Engineer

4. Zhiila Tester Staff

I finally reproduced it. :D I also created a ticket and somebody will look at it.

Thanks for cooperation!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

Hey hey... I just made a similar thread about this. I was having problems too with a warhead laden nose cone just bouncing off its target, rather than exploding.

6. Zhiila Tester Staff

@NoThanks

Are you using sensors to trigger the warhead?

7. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

@Zhiila

I am, yes by proxy. And when triggered by the sensor (with the countdown) they will generally explode normally, but not always. On occasion they will do exactly what was seen in the video... the sensor triggers a timer which causes the nose to separate and go to max thrust, while simultaneously arming the warheads and starting the countdown. So the nose will smack into the side of the target, and sometimes explode with the countdown (NOT from the force of the impact, which has been a problem for me), but sometimes it will just bounce off and drift away without doing anything. As previously mentioned since the nose separates in the first place the rest of the timer actions should be triggered as well (separation is the last event in the timer trigger).

EDIT - No mods beyond shader/skybox mod in play.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Sensors can only detect blocks that are owned. Sensors cannot detect armor. If you pair a warhead with a sensor and there are no terminal blocks within its detection field when it approaches a target... no boom boom.

I believe warheads have a 25 meter radius of exploding. So I would set the sensor to detect ranges of 25 meters in all directions with a pad towards the front of about 10 meters in case the game needs a tick or two to trigger the warhead.

9. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

Are you sure about sensors? When they change that?

10. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

The sensor in question is being triggered. I know because the nose cone separating from the fuselage is a visual cue that the sensor has been triggered. Once the sensor is triggered, it triggers the timer, which triggers everything else... the last trigger being to disable the merge block and allow the nose cone to separate.

If the nose cone was not separating then I could safely surmise the sensor may not be triggering the series of events... but it is. So the only answer left is that the warheads are occasionally not blowing up, despite being armed and having their countdown triggered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The "arm/disarm" portion of the warhead is a simple toggle. I don't believe there's a way to arm it in an absolute fashion. Is it possible that when you are arming the warhead, you might be disarming it? The sensor may also end up being tripped twice and disarming the warhead. If you are triggering a timer block rather than the warhead directly, you could set the timer to arm the warhead as well as to turn off the sensor at the same time and avoid a second trigger.

If you toggle Space Master mode on, you can copy the missile in flight and paste it elsewhere. From there you can de-power it and then set its velocity to zero and inspect it.

12. subvironic Trainee Engineer

I did everything you suggest on my system, Sensors are only set to detonate, Warheads are Armed without Redundant systems that could cause issues - Armed on launch, never touched again.
    Sensors Clearly trigger as i can hear the sound, yet they behave like in the vid i postet.
    I would say NoThanks replicates the circumstances accuratly enough.

Maybe its the arm/disarm toggle itself or sth els engine wise? Just guessing.

Edit: should mention, warheads in my system are all on a 5 second timer, they should detonate no matter what. they are armed, sensor-triggered and on a countdown, yet completely safe while ramming into stuff or flying about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

@Ronin1973

Yeah, while I can't rule out human error, the fact that a tester was able to reproduce it and I'm not the only one seeing this issue leads me to believe it's a genuine bug. Others have had time to test it with more simplistic systems than I have, but it seems we're all... or mostly coming to the same conclusion.

I know that collisions used to cause the design I had to detonate immediately, timer be damned. Now the collisions do not seem to cause the warheads to set off at all, but the countdown timer isn't doing it reliably either.

14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

If your warhead is damaged beyond the point of being operational... will it still explode? I'm not denying there's an issue. I'm just trying to rule out why a warhead would not explode. When it comes to player made weapons with warheads, I generally don't use the countdown timer. I'll simply use a sensor that triggers the warhead to explode when in proximity to a neutral or enemy block.

Another useful way of testing is to play in single player and pause the game. Even when the game is paused, you can still move around the world and interact with it as Space Master (but not as the character).

15. subvironic Trainee Engineer

I doubt the damage, when i copy one warhead in question it will happily explode sometimes, console shows no damage.
    There are reasons ingame that provoke this behavior, but after those are ruled out it still occurs.

Did a test where i just launched them into space with an countown of 5s, same thing, many warheads did not explode, but where definetly armed and counting down. Same thing with timers and detonate now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tesseract5 Trainee Engineer

Having the same issue over here, warheads not exploding, neither by countdown nor by manually detonating. Countdown is started correctly, yet the detonation event / whatever doesnt kick in. Copy-pasting the grid with the affected warhead causes it to explode normally, (so far) every time.

17. sammyvoncheese Apprentice Engineer

I have had the same issue. One thing I noticed, was often times the warheads that would not blow up were invulnerable and could not be destroyed. Turrets would continually shoot at the invul warheads bouncing around. In my case it always seemed to occur when the game engine was stressed (low sim speed).

18. Tesseract5 Trainee Engineer

Wasnt this an older Bug that was supposed to be fixed? Interesting, in my case, the warheads could still be damaged, even destroyed, they just wouldnt explode.
    Appears like there are actually two bugs around

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. cheerkin Trainee Engineer

I have similar issue. Spent half day debugging my missile and script only to find that warheads work randomly. I set Arm and Countdown programmatically in the script. Half of the time the whole warhead chunk flies away, some of them are green, some are yellow, and enemy turrets fire at them with no effect. If I ctrl-x ctrl-v this chunk, they explode after 1 second.

And got a 100% reproduced game crash on small missile explosion with about 30 small warheads controlled by the same script.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TenshouYoku Apprentice Engineer

I did some stupid stuff like copy and pasting already armed warheads and drop them from heights just for the lols.
    It does seem that if the game is currently stressed, ie. A lot of warheads detonating and shortly after, however high the warheads are dropped, they will just bounce off and do not blow up. After a small break (~3 seconds when the particle effects die out for a bit), dropping warheads will explode immediately upon impact.
    I guess this has something to do with sim speed and the game decided to not let it explode for the sake of simplicity or something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. cheerkin Trainee Engineer

Had this again and saved a video. It's clear that warheads become invulnerable and cause heavy indirect damage by attracting turret friendly fire. After re-pasting they undick respecting their intended state:

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  22. Zhiila Tester Staff

@cheerkin

Could you upload the scene with some steps to reproduce please?

23. cheerkin Trainee Engineer

Here you go

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1377772724

Select all blocks of the missile and give them to SPRT faction, the missile will fly to the player (sitting in one of the ships), as shown in the video.

This is the same version of everything from the video. I tried several times today but it can be hard to reproduce.

24. Zhiila Tester Staff

I tried it about 10 times and it didn't happen even once. I will try it again later but I probably won't be able to make a ticket from this scene. At least I know it can happen and will be looking for it.

Thanks anyway, I appreciate the effort!

25. cheerkin Trainee Engineer

No problem. I think it happens at simspeed dips indeed, and when lots of destruction takes place.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.