Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Warning for new players.

Discussion in 'General' started by Dragonspride, Dec 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dragonspride Apprentice Engineer

Don't play survival for about 3 months, this game is still way to buggy to bother.

• Disagree Disagree x 20
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Electroflux Trainee Engineer

Totally agree. Still haven't bothered turning on the game since beta release especially.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Malware Master Engineer

Funny. I play survival all the time. Works for me...

[Edit]
    I mean single player survival. Important distinction.

Also I must apologize about the tone. It was not fair.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 14
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

@Malware
    The question is here ... what "is" survival .... for the different players ...
    If it only-> i musst look for resources and cant build anything from nothing ,, but if any build "suddenly" explode .. it harms not so much and if i die .. maybe .. itls life ....
    Or -> i musst get the resouces to build something, and if anything explode random "without my fail" (aka BUG) then it is horrible and destroy the whole game fun (especialy if i play with friends where all player should have the same chance and behavor ..) and if i die from an bug .. it is horrible too - as it is an SURVIVAL game .. not an "i musst not care if i die" game ...

The problem looks the most "survival" player , play only the first style , where is "at best" Survival "light" ....

Regards

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Dear players, hopefully you should already have a understanding that this game is in development and accepted those terms upon purchase as is. And also that experiencing and <properly> reporting bugs is greatly appreciated.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Dragonspride Apprentice Engineer

No one said it wasn't I just said that don't bother getting into survival because its to buggy to waist their time.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

I think survival is perfectly viable with a few caveats:

Save often/redundantly when you jump, merge/unmerge grids and similar.

Don't have lots of grids landing-geared or connectored together at any given time.

Make liberal use of safety locking rotors/pistons.

Be very gentle on the wheels.

8. MrDoctorDIV Apprentice Engineer

Do people really have that many issues even in survival? What do people try to build/do? I haven't had much of any issues that would deter me even as a new player [as far as survival is concerned, servers are another story]

9. Phoera Senior Engineer

what was sayd is that you decided what better for ppl.
    same as Malware i play mainly survival, and it is fine. always.

10. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

It is like buying Win XP, being updated to Vista with no chance to go back. Then wondering if or when 7 will ever come out.

experiencing bugs is greatly appreciated :stare:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

@tankmayvin
    This are nice and sensefull list ..
    But mostly, hard doable on an MP DS where you cant restart the server all 15min if any of the players get an "crash" ...
    Sure - i have an highly insane hardcore survival server on running .... and with an "handbook" of many rules it is barrelly playable ....
    But the "new netcode" have get NO ONE advantage over the netcode we haved before the horrible "Server Side Control" switch ....
    None of the many bugs we haved before and none of the bugs we haved after is in the actual version fixed .. additionaly to an couple of "Brand New" bugs ...
    So the "Hope" of an new and better MP gaming is mostly destroyed on narly all user i know and like to play "Real" Survival ...
    It was not the thinking of having an nearly perfect runing netcode with the new version ...
    But anything that give ONE REAL advantage over the before used code ....
    And the only advantage i (and the players i know) realy see, is the SimSpeed is good again (a little bit better as with the old code before the ServerSideControl Switch ..) and with an
    good simspeed, the many desync problems was always only rare happens ... but this is the only advantage to the old code (the version before ServerSideControl ..)

And this is not enough for the Big hopes many user haved ....

Regards

12. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

@Malware Your continuously faithful support for KSH is reaching worrying levels. You used to be one of the more realistic people around here, criticizing when needed, with the right arguments concerning development, now... all I see is you making one excuse after another in the name of KSH.

Survival is buggy, that's a fact... specially in Multiplayer, there's no way around that fact. Even in SP, if you a PC that is not mid to high end, you're in trouble. SE is currently a Indie game that require AAA performance.

These are facts, not FUD, until KSH fix better the game, this will remain fact. I don't know why there is this urge to run and suppress anyone making a legitimate complaint, we all know the survival aspects of this game can't really be called survival, not if you compare it to likes of Empyrion. So let people speak, or in this case, post...

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. DDP-158 Master Engineer

I'm ddp, and I play survival.

14. Stiletto Apprentice Engineer

I see that the usual suspects are still going strong in their whine.

Anyway, haters are gonna hate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

So, anyone who agrees with the fact this game is still buggy, is now a hater?

Sorry, but that's lazy thinking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. notintheface11 Trainee Engineer

There's a difference between thoughtful criticism (with which this forum is already rife) and petulant whining. Whether the concerns are legitimate or not, mindless complaining like what the OP is doing is doing nothing except fueling negativity. Yes, defending Keen for every decision and misstep is lazy. So is criticizing their every shortcoming and effort.

I'll also say that based on my 30 or so hours of survival play since the big patch, the game has been the most stable it's ever been for me. Survival is not only playable, it's infinitely more enjoyable than it was even 6 months ago. That doesn't mean there isn't still work to do.

17. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I've been playing Survival on and off for a few hours over the last few weeks and aside from a small memory leak (and two accounts of invisible asteroids) i haven't noticed anything majorly broken - the usual horrible balance of Survival aside. Granted, it wasn't fun but it wasn't unplayable.

18. [LP] OMG Shadow® Trainee Engineer

The only thing @Malware said was that it works for him. He didn't support KSH in any manner here. So please, stay fair.

And to add my view on the topic, survival works fine for me, neither do my creations explode nor do I have memory leaks or crashes.

19. Lothos Apprentice Engineer

the bugs people bitch about exist in creative too. so why the hate for survival? I only play survival 99.9% of the time ever since I started. Never had any issues to gripe about that weren't of my own causing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. dispair Apprentice Engineer

I play survival on two different machines, an old laptop and an older tower with a new graphics card. My moon base in survival is now supporting a full scale Lexington build. Survival is fine so long as I play for less than two hours. On my tower I can play for 4 hours before it locks up. I'm certainly not a Keen zealot, but survival works fine for me.

Broad statements like " no one can play survival" or " everyone can" is a bit unrealistic. Results will certainly vary.

21. Dragonspride Apprentice Engineer

• Inappropriate Language
    [Inapproriate Language Removed]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2016
  22. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

First ....
    All user where play survival in SINGLEPLAYER or as Host in an NonDS Multiplayer .... ---> THIS "Warning" IS FOR MULTIPLAYER SURVIVAL on DS as CLIENT ....
    Second ....
    As i buy SE last year just after the planets was relased ...
    The MP was "not brilliant" .. but it have worked .... this was the First (old default) Multiplayer Code Version ( aka MP v1) ....
    The SimSpeed was good (at last, before the switch to the "genius" multiplayer code with Server Side Control - aka MP v2 - v1.129 Apr07.2016 IMHO ) by 0.85/0.9 with 8 players online and over 20 large grids and an big amount of small grids ...
    The driving with an Car was basicaly nice ...
    The Reaction time for fly/jump or other manuevers was o.k.
    The problems was (for use on Survival) with the OLD MP v1 code from before Apr2016 :
    Ships/Cars shake without reason .. not infrequently to death if you notice it to late ...
    Sometimes an grid was vanished or invisible ...
    Sometimes you get not the inventory updated if you transfer components (the item is not more on the old location but show even not on the new ..)
    Sometimes the client hang , and this can lead to explosion/death if you in this moments drive an car on an bad location or fly an ahip ....
    Sometimes trees or/and rocks ReArange positions with bad result is the new position is in an Non-Static grid ...
    Solarpanels frequently not working right or not at all ...
    Sometimes you/the grid fall thrue the ground on Planets ...
    Sometimes an grid was for one player visible on one position/in one rotation .. for the other player different ...
    Sometimes rubberbanding .....

With the "Shine New" netcode (or improvement ..) from Apr.2016 (aka MP v2 - Server Side Control) it was promised many of this problems (where the root are desyncs..) will vanish and all will go now better .....................................................LOL
    First versions was horrible and not realy playable at all (massive shaking/rubberbanding of char and grids ..) - but o.k. ... it was the first version ...
    It is then going better, but still the char controling not feel "fluid" and good controlabel from the reaction time .. an bad behavor for an game where you can fight like in an FPS ......
    And the biggest problems was ... :
    The SimSpeed was MASSIV worse ..
    And --- NONE of the above problems was fixed ... NONE !!
    Driving with Cars was horrible bad .....
    Sometimes still massiv rubberbanding ...
    Grids STILL on different positions for 2 player and STILL shake ....
    Additional to the massiv more bad SimSpeed we get "Shine New" Bugs - like Hydro/Oxy replication for free ....
    Very bad Oxy pressurization Calculation, to an level of bugs, where Keen set this at default off ...........
    Before we haved at drilling manual or with Grid Drillers no problems with stone/Ore/Ice chunks ... now she jump, roll or make other funny things ... to an level, keen deactivate the generation of chunks for grid drilling complete ... nice fix ... deaktivating ....
    Grids floating in space if landing gears are delocked in gravity ...
    The "new" option to Look an subgrid (Piston/Rotor/Wheel) is an nice idea .. but works horrible and produce only massive problems - even if you not use this option ... nice ..
    Before the "Again New Netcode" last weeks (Now MP v3 ..) we haved with 3 players on the SAME world as before an SimSpeed with 0.28/0.25 ............

Now we come to the "Actual" MP code (aka MP v3) ....
    First we haved 3 versions to "test" .... the conclusion was sobering ...
    2 was only in particular things better as the old v1 or v2 code in many other things much more worse .... and one looks like an light more optimised version of the v2 code ...

Now we have become an "Mix" of the "Best skills" from the 3 test version ...
    As an result .......................... we have now AGAIN an good simspeed (imho a little bit better as with v1 ...) ...
    BUT have ALL of the above problems , that mainly are here for ONE YEAR or more and STILL new bugs....
    AND ---- i have not wrote over the "Holy Grals" like, working Pistons or rotors ...............................................

So it should realy a little more in the "New MP code" as an fallback to the MP v1 version with an big pack of additional bugs that was collected over the year.......!!

And PS: Empyrion have in the last patch Rised the Multiplayer limit on Dedicated server to 256 player SIMULTAN ONLINE !! it was to many servers online where hit the old limit from 128 player ... one thing SE cant even dream about .... .. only as an side note .....

Regards

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  23. Dragonspride Apprentice Engineer

Finally someone gets it, thankyou.

24. Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

Seems to me there's a bit of confusion happening in this thread between playing multiplayer and singleplayer? :p

As far as multiplayer goes well they did just throw out the old multiplayer and try and bring in a new hybrid one cobbled from three different solutions. I am not surprised the first iteration is still chaotic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. notintheface11 Trainee Engineer

Judging from the thread's title, I don't think the OP meant to single out MP survival. What new player is going to jump into a dedicated MP server with the game's learning curve still being so large and the tutorials still largely inadequate to prepare them? Look, we've all had things go horribly and frustratingly wrong in SE through no fault of our own, but if you feel the need to get on the forums and pointlessly lash out about it then SE isn't the only thing you're doing wrong. We all know exactly what's wrong with the game. There are better ways to discuss it than this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Dragonspride Apprentice Engineer

Past 3 days I had about 5 new players jump in and ask what they were supposed to be doing.

27. Malware Master Engineer

That the learning curve is way too high, especially because tutorials are still severely lacking, is absolutely true. Also I don't play multiplayer, so I cannot comment on multiplayer survival. But OP did not specify that. However I still take self-criticism that I didn't specify that I meant single player survival when I said it works for me, because that is a very important distinction and I definitely should have mentioned that. The tone was also not needed, so I must apologize to @Dragonspride for that. I may not agree with your way of dealing with the game's problems, but that is beside the point. I will edit the post to reflect these facts. Single player survival is quite playable, I have played that near-daily throughout christmas. Sure there are bugs, but I haven't encountered any game-breaking ones - albeit there are a couple of annoying ones.

28. Dragonspride Apprentice Engineer

Thank You for the apology, that shows a character that to be honest I though was lost in communities like this. Yea im talking about multiplayer survival. I have been so fed up with the "this is alpha" brigade. These bugs we are, as you have correctly stated we are complaining about have been around for years. And adequately diagnosed by... well everyone. Its sad that a company with multiple devs and testers are being outdone by single person indie devs (im talking about from the depths) I find it rediculous.

29. notintheface11 Trainee Engineer

I feel it also needs to be said that small-scale hosted MP survival is only slightly less stable than SP. Me and 2-3 friends can have long sessions planetside with huge grids with relatively few problems. If we're talking about a new player experience, it honestly doesn't get much better than that at this point.

30. Harrekin Master Engineer

This isn't Alpha anymore...those people are obsolete ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.