Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version [Extra] --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.
  3. Apologies for enabling the dark skin as the forum default. This was unintentional and the light theme that we've been using for the last couple of years will remain the default.

For anyone who hasn't noticed:
    We've enabled a dark skin on the forums called Keen Software House - Dark. It's not perfect but it gets the job done for anyone who doesn't enjoy white backgrounds. Go to your preferences page https://forum.keenswh.com/account/preferences or click the skin name at the bottom left of any forum page to switch

Warning: Modified density of asteroids is not supported

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Phand, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Phand

Hi guys,

we are receiving reports that the game is crashing when loaded. We found out that this is caused by modified XML files, where player changes density of generated asteroids in already existing world. We do not support it and you should never modify already existing files by changing density of asteroids (other modifications are supported).

The reason is that IDs of asteroids are firmly set when the world is created, if you change it, it will cause duplication of IDs (which will cause crashes), asteroids generated inside each other or over already existing grids (causing explosions and other stuff). It may really cause a lot of problems so please avoid it.

If you already made that change there is workaround for saving the world file: go to your sbc file and delete all items with .vx2 and it should be stable (if you are lucky).

Thank you for your attention and understanding.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Geneticus

In all fairness, you should at least implement a toggle to convert non procedural worlds to procedural ones and include it in the API.

I would love to be able to do a level design where the player is restricted to a small group of asteroids until a trigger is met then put them in procedural mode(with the correct seed, density, and prefabs) with a goal 4 AU from the origin.

edit: I should have been more clear. The reason that people are modifying it in the first place is because they noticed it when up converting non-procedural worlds.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
  3. fabricator77

I've found any annoying side effect of this behaviour.
    It's clear moving a procedural asteroid (mined or edited), say using SEToolbox or xml editing, will cause the game to crash. Even renaming the asteroid didn't fix the cause.
    As it's storing coordinates and seed data in the asteroid itself.

I resolved the crash by changing the world seed so the asteroid's duplicate will never be created. An alternative would be to use the Mod API to save the full asteroid voxel data.

If you get a crash involving duplicate dictionary entries, after moving an asteroid, this is the cause and how to fix it.

Could we at least have a more user friendly exception thrown ?

4. goblox

I don't have time to confirm but I'm going to throw it out there - I don't believe I ever modified density or seed on a save impacted by this issue. Instead, I did resize the world from 300KM, down to 150KM, then back up to 300KM. It seems to me asteroids generated the first time the save was at 300KM are being overwritten (or at least, attempting to overwrite). Good times.

If true, seem like an impossibly simple fix would be to just delete everything (or at least asteroids) outside of the current map limits on load.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  5. teegee

I think you may be right - at least in my case, I dropped world size down from 100km to 75km, and now if you venture more than a few km from our central point, we get a crash about a duplicate key.

6. Visentinel

LOL this was probably me reporting them with the game crash reporter hehe sorry guys if i wasted your time with doing this silly thing.

What i was doing was what the guy before me said i created a world with a limited number of asteroids (to make it hard) then later i added unlimited procedural via edit of the XML then a couple of days later i was getting crashes due to ID issue :( if i had known it was the asteroid ID's i could of salvaged the world but i did not know instead i did a brand new map restart and imported our ships and moved from there.

***What i would like to ask a Dev here is if i move a world originally made in the game client to the DS will it cuase any issues with asteroid ID ? if i DO NOT change the world size (leave it unlimited) and dont touch the procedural density its going to be ok ?

7. Saureco

Is this similar or related to starting a new world with a premade scenario and then adding changes via the World Generator option before even loading the world?

The example I experienced was starting a new Habitable Planet scenario world and adding in the Extreme: 16 large asteroids. Upon initial loading, asteroids are nowhere to be found; all I see is the planet and moon. Using Creative Mode (Space Master?) I was able to find the asteroids, but they were hidden inside the planet. Both the planet and the asteroid cluster share the same world spawn coordinates.

On possibly a related issue, this adversely affects the planets gravitational field and atmosphere. Trying to land on such a scenario planet shows no atmosphere even at sea level.

8. Ronin1973

@Phand A bit of a necro-post but if asteroids overlapping asteroids are problematic, how are rocks on planets (tiny asteroids) handled? The planet is considered one big asteroid and the rocks are micro-asteroids. I ask because I'm curious if the information is outdated as well as places other rocks on planets and the consequences when designing levels/worlds.

9. Saureco

Planets are predefined procedurally generated asteroids. Some of that procedural generation (driven by the seed code) creates rock formations, or, to be more specific, coordinate locations of predefined rock formations on the planet/moon.

10. Keltuzhard

This explains why when I leave the orbit of a planet the game freezes ?. this happens every time I leave a planet.

11. JimTheSoundman

So correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the problem arise only if increasing the asteroid density?

If you have an asteroid density of .9, and you change it to .4, how could that possibly cause a problem?

12. Mattes

I guess the problem is that the map generator would try to spawn the asteroids in once again when value for asteroid density is changed, which results in asteroids spawning in invalid locations such as other asteroids or out of bounds, causing the game to crash.

--- Automerge ---

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  13. Visentinel

just delete all modified procedural asteroids, if there are absolutely none you can change the density and or seed.

this does apply to random encounters to as that's part of the procedural info.
    setoolbox is the tool you need.

14. AngelinaGets

I would like to to specify.Do for change of XML files provided ban?
    Sorry for my English

15. Mattes

You CAN change the xml files all you like, but there is no guarantee that modifying asteroid density will work properly, thus crashes or ot bugs are to be expected.

16. Michael123

like no saving for me