Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Water?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ravenal, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ravenal Apprentice Engineer

Curious for those Keen guys for ME.

Is ME going to have lakes, rivers, oceans to explore too?

2. Lancezh Trainee Engineer

See. This is the great thing, people already run wild with what you could explore in ME

I didn't see this happen in Space Engineers aside from new features on what to build. But in this concept you can actually have game content rather easily. I'm so excited and i hope yes, rivers, lakes... underwater depots. proper Survival!

3. EZ Pickins Trainee Engineer

Hope so. I see windmills...makes me think sailing ships could be possible :)

4. PastequeSauvage Trainee Engineer

Oh yeah ships ! >o<

5. Warki Trainee Engineer

Selfbuilt ships! Selfbuilt Siege weapons on your ships!!!

6. TodesRitter Moderator

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/useful-links-and-information-7248163?pid=1285770679#post1285770679

The Second Video is a Q&A

7. DJ_BAIZIL Apprentice Engineer

THAT'S WHY I DO NOT LIKE MINECRAFT!!! (Ok, sorry for caps.)
    Cos. you can't build your ship and sail!
    Just little tiny boats... :c

8. waterlimon Senior Engineer

IMO water is a central element to this kind of mediavelylelelaylmao game.

Things I want related to water:
    -Pipes/tanks
    -Steam (heat pipe/tank and the pressure will increase)
    -Run machines with this steam power
    -Build modern toilet with pipes
    -Primitive fluid simulation (voxel based, low res) just for things like leaks causing everything to flood or storing water in cisterns and pools and stuff

Things I dream about:
    -Blocking a mountain river to create a massive dam and to dry the enemys farms (And then blow it all up with black powder whoo)
    -Create steam powered spaceship and fly to SE

Other features I want:
    -Temperature (seasons) with fire for heating, pipes would freeze at winter if not heated etc. Build things with ice. Play in permanent winter mode and build ice castle.
    -Trading so I can dig for my local ore and sell it for other more distant ores (considering they want ores found in their natural locations, this makes sense. You cant have it all in one place) and stuff like prebuilt war machines or explosives or such
    -Dwarf race so I can pretend im playing an user friendly version of Slaves to Armok: God of Blood - Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress

9. Rantage Trainee Engineer

That would be absolutely fantastic....but would not only require that the procedural world feature large bodies of water, but that an aerodynamic system (even a primitive one) be added to the game. Along with the fluid model that Marek mentioned in the LSG video, that could be quite a bit of overhead.

I suspect that at the moment, the windmills are the solar panels of ME: they're always on, and 100% reliable for simplicity's sake.

10. Textor Junior Engineer

Great, we are already starting into the "lasers" debate of ME

11. Rantage Trainee Engineer

I don't want to be a buzzkill, but I believe the steam engine dates back to the 17th century....so if ME handles 5th to 15th Centuries it will likely be out of scope.

Would definitely be cool, though. As a DF fan, I'm also quite excited about the possibilities of a fortress game with far superior graphics.

12. Ash87 Senior Engineer

I called it an hour ago... Gird your loins folks, there be steampunks.

In all seriousness: Waterwheels, windmills, animal power, manual power... these will probably be your power sources.

13. Lancar Senior Engineer

Steam engines may be a bit far off, but pumps and pipes were invented over far earlier and is definitely inside the scope of the games timeframe.
    Waterwheels and windmills can supply the needed rotary motion to make them work.

14. Ash87 Senior Engineer

Archimedean screw.

Yep.

15. EZ Pickins Trainee Engineer

Ok...so no water....but carriages :) Thanks for the link!

16. waterlimon Senior Engineer

Im not so sure steam is out of place given that we'll be seeing cars and walkers and computers and whatnot as well... It IS a simulation of the world, so it should support anything.

17. Textor Junior Engineer

Cars and computers? What video were you watching?

18. Ash87 Senior Engineer

He is betting that someone with a lot of free time, will sit down and figure out how to make a computer, out of pulleys, rocks, and paperclips.

19. Textor Junior Engineer

Ah. Well, just because people can figure out how to make a computer out of sticks and stones doesn't mean that the technology suddenly "exists" in the world. Steam applications would require calculating how much pressure the steam is building to convert to measurements of power-- it isn't something that I think can be intuited out of the system like a computer conceivably could. How many steam engines did we see in vanilla minecraft?

20. Bobylein Apprentice Engineer

And windmill powered cars/siege towers, yep ;)

21. Kilsonx Trainee Engineer

Antikythera mechanism <---- analog computer 100-200 AD... so yes Computers Steam power was being experimented with in the 1550's Steam devices were known by 100 AD look up Heron of Alexandria. So if history went a little different there might have been useful steam engines by the 1000AD.

As for water .... I do want... but with out killing my CPU... Want to build ships...

22. Kémy IronGator Bergeron Trainee Engineer

Windmill Powered Moving Fortress.
    I do have a new mission in this world.

23. TheDeinonychus Trainee Engineer

Ok, from what the LSG interview said, at least what I make of it, is that Keen wants to add procedural water. Things such a rivers and lakes that you can divert. Maybe have it so that if you mine too close to a lake or river your mine will flood. However they're holding off on that for now because they're not sure if they'll be able to implement it just yet. The thing about fluids in games like this is, they often use up a lot of system resources to run. Unless you go with a pure block system like Minecraft, while it would be neat, it could make the game far too unstable.

So they're simply waiting to see if they can add it in once things are more solid. They may be looking at options to handle fluids that won't bog the game down. Or simply want to focus on the rest of the game first. It's just a wait and see situation.

No one is denying that having moving water would be a huge plus to the game. Waterwheels, moats, Archimedes Screws, aqueducts, sailing ships. These are hugely important bits of engineering that would have a place in the game. But if it's a choice between not having them in the game, or having a game only the most powerful, top end computers can run, I'd rather make due without.

24. Bobylein Apprentice Engineer

Exactly! :D

Thought it will probably consist mostly out of wood and wood tends to burn quite good :/

25. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

You obviously didn't hear right, they said volumetric water may or may not happen depending on performance, I hope it does.

26. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Can we get a summary of that interview somewhere, I know it's silly but I really do not like siting down and watching a 25 minute long interview and prefer a synopsis of it if at all possible or at least a sort of organization thing so I can just go to the parts of the video that interest me.

Also, looking forward to raiding my friends village using authentic looking viking longboats.

27. EZ Pickins Trainee Engineer

I hope so too...but my take on what Marek said was that it was unlikely. So we're landlocked, no big deal.

28. webik150 Trainee Engineer

Howl's Moving Castle?

29. Mr. Stormy Trainee Engineer

The Antikythera mechanism comprised of gears and used them for power, not steam. All the other stuff you say checks out, but in application to what things could be used for in Medieval Engineers, I don't think this technology was practiced and developed enough.

30. Kilsonx Trainee Engineer

The Antikythera mechanism was not steam powered sorry if it seemed like I suggested it was.( I forgot to put a period after Computers.) All I was pointing out was that it was an analog computer that could compute the orbits of certain celestial bodies to help the ship captain figure out where he was. It ran a program (gears) that would move the dials to where you should see certain stars/planets. I believe it was muscle powered by a hand crank. So there were computers of a type back then was my point. As for steam being used for practical applications it was not. But the first steam water pump was around 1600's. As for why steam power was not more advanced before then, thats up to debate.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.