Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

We need some SERIOUS optimization for planets.

Discussion in 'General' started by Schnitzel, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Schnitzel Trainee Engineer

It's a little bit ridiculous to require us to use DX11, really. I bought a ASUS M32BF model PC (stock, no modifications), expecting it to be able to run SE with planets.

Surprise surprise, it can't. Why is there so much emphasis on adding more and more content? Why can't we just fix the bugs, and make planets able to be run on a low-medium-high-ish PC?

Why, keen? I had so much hope for this update. I had everything planned and set up for this update. And then.. I couldn't even run it.

Please, keen. Stop adding new content and fix stuff.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm probably really late to this. But, why haven't we seen any progress on this front?

• Disagree Disagree x 13
    • Late Late x 6
  2. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Planets are literally not possible with DX9. Sorry.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. DDP-158 Master Engineer

And dx11 cards are not that expensive

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. TodesRitter Moderator

Did you bought the pc for gaming or office stuff ?

If i found the correct one its seems like the computer is more for office stuff which explains why you cant run dx11.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Taemien Apprentice Engineer

Problem isn't KSH. The problem is you're running on a french fry.

You have a computer designed for School/Work not gaming. That means you can do internet stuff such as social media, email, maybe watch some videos. As well as word processing, and maybe even coding. For some reason the machine is inflated with more RAM than it will ever need. Your GPU is not even a dedicated Video Card. I'm surprised SE will even launch for you. I'm surprised any game will launch with that. But that at least explains the extra RAM.

You need a computer dedicated to gaming.

For anyone who is wondering what the OP has, this is it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...esktop_PC_M32BF-US004S-_-83-220-689-_-Product

Take note of the CPU/GPU which you can see here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113288

The issue isn't Directx 11.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

What on Earth made you buy an office computer for gaming?

Also, my FPS on planets has almost doubled since their release, and I have an equivalent of a baked potato with butter on top (and a hint of garlic).

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Right there. This is what is wrong with people moaning about SE. I couldn't disagree anymore with that statement. It. Is. Not. Ridiculous. At all. Never ever.

8 years people. Its been around for 8 years!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Malware Master Engineer

DX11 wasn't ridiculous, but required. Those of us who worked with the Github source code back then know they tried to get it to work with DX9. Tried hard. It didn't work all that well. They needed DX11 tricks to get it to work.

Like the others have said, the performance on planets have increased incredibly since the initial release.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Schnitzel Trainee Engineer

I was told by the Best Buy guy that it was great for gaming. What an effing ripoff.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Planets are running quite good now, when planets were first released they ran absolutely horribly.

Of course there is still some room for optimization, with that said, if your computer is struggling to run planets "now" then it's your computer that is the limiting factor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Sumyunguy Trainee Engineer

Yeah. Best Buy salesmen seldom know what they are talking about. Sorry you had to experience it firsthand.

My general rule is: If it is associated with Geek Squad (which BestBuy is), stay far away.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Schnitzel Trainee Engineer

It's been a while, I'll boot it up and try running it again. If it doesn't work.. well, I'm screwed.

EDIT:
    Thanks for letting me know that, Sum. I'll make sure to get my stuff from other stores/sites from now on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Taemien Apprentice Engineer

You weren't really ripped off. Gaming is very similar to cars. If you go to a dealership and ask for a really fast car, the dealer will point at a car that's likely faster than his. Doesn't mean its the fastest on the lot, nor the fastest available in your area. In addition there are aftermarket things you can do to improve performance. Or if you really want to get into it, you can get something a bit more customized. Which is what many do. And a sales rep isn't going to know squat about gaming unless they are into it themselves (most aren't.. can't afford to on that salary unless absolutely single). What runs Minecraft for their kid isn't going to run SE well.

Computer gaming is not like console gaming. On a console you expect to slip in a game disc or download for the console, turn it on and it just works. Nothing more needs to be done. Computers are not like that. Computer gaming is a hobby.. an expensive hobby, maybe not the most expensive hobby out there, but its up there. The higher the game requirements, the better performing PC you'll need. SE is on the high side. Its not quite the highest, but its up there.

Like most hobbies when you get into them. You need to get versed on them. OP you posted a PC model. That alone told me you know very little about what you actually got. In fact without touching your computer, or even seeing it, I was able to tell what GPU it had (it didn't), and what CPU and RAM it had. My computer is a custom built with parts I selected and put in myself. There's no model number for my computer. In fact many of the parts have been in use for a while. The case is the oldest, from 2007, PSU from 2008, Mobo/CPU/GPU/RAM from 2015, Monitor from 2011, and Keyboard and Mouse from 2 weeks ago.

Point being. If you want to computer game and actually do graphic heavy games. You need to do some research. There's tons of guides on youtube on how to put together a PC. But there's alot of research that will need to go into what is actually good for gaming. Otherwise you'll be like "that looks good and cheap, lets use that" and end up building something like you had. I can give you a link to a prebuilt gaming PC that will rock SE at 40-70+ FPS on planets. But what happens in 4-5 years when you need to upgrade? I didn't really do you a favor there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Clunas Junior Engineer

Unless you go to a dedicated computer store, most store employees won't know a power supply from a disk drive. According to that poor guy, some free flash game might be the most demanding computer game he has ever played.

The good news is, the Newegg entry for your computer shows it as having an empty PCI slot. That means that you could potentially put a better graphics card in there. I don't know squat about AMD processors, so maybe someone here can weigh in on whether or not yours is really suitable. Just going off of speed, it looks okish.

You'd probably need a bigger power supply to make things work though. Depending on that case... it may or may not fit. Luckily, most motherboards can be dropped into a different case fairly easily.

You still have options :carlton:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

@Schnitzel: the bad news is that your ASUS M32BF does not qualify as a gaming rig. The good news is that it's not entirely a lost cause. You can install a graphics card and your computer will be able to run recent games with a playable FPS. However, if you choose a graphics card that's more power hungry than a GTX 750 Ti, you'll need to replace the power supply too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

Good god, what is wrong with you???
    This is your PC's CPU vs my last processor I had on my motherboard that I stoped useing sometime last year
    ---
    http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/765/AMD_A8-Series_A8-5500_vs_AMD_Phenom_II_X4_970_(rev._C3).html
    ---
    I mean my old procesor beats the crap out of your computers, and I bought it when the radeon 6870 when that was new.

This is my last graphics card compared to your current one
    ---
    http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7560D-IGP-vs-Radeon-HD-6870
    ---

Dude, your on a potato, about all that things good for is minecraft.
    I had to trade up because mechwarrior online was running poorly, and that game is less intensive than this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Schnitzel Trainee Engineer

Okay, good news and bad news. It can run the smallest possible MARS planet with.. 30 FPS. Sadly, that's about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

Did you try putting all graphics settings to low and decreasing resolution a few notches?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. KissSh0t Master Engineer

What type of video card does your system have and what model is the CPU?

• Like Like x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  20. Frigidman Apprentice Engineer

I know on my rig that can play stuff like Mad Max on 'ultra' at 100+ fps (144hz monitor)... this game barely manages at 40fps with 'medium' settings. I also noticed that if I tried to set textures to 'high' the game absolutely wrecks my entire computer via overzealous ram usage.

This game is NOT optimized in the slightest, at all. Just have to drive all the settings down until you get to a point where the crappy fps isn't annoying enough not to enjoy the rest of the game ;)

Eventually Keen n Company will get with the times and do some cleanup passes on the graphics code (well, we all hope at least).

21. Schnitzel Trainee Engineer

https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/M32BF/

All the stuff you need to know is here. Everything is stock. It has a quad-core CPU (AMD A10) and some kind of AMD graphics card that can run most games fairly well (It can run Arma 3 with medium settings!)

Pretty much how I feel at this point.

22. Ribs Apprentice Engineer

I agree. The optimization for this game in general is total garbage. They need to fix it up, or perhaps switch to a another engine. The planets don't look that good, nor are they that big to make my computer lag. Great job wasting a entire year to make this garbage... Would prefer the game without planets, without oxygen. Hype is a terrible tool.

• Disagree Disagree x 11
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. KissSh0t Master Engineer

That is an ok little system, nothing wrong with it at all... it's not high end but it will play games, maybe some of the newer games at lower settings.

The video card in that system is a HD8760 2GB

24. Clunas Junior Engineer

Wow way to be an ass about it.

@OP: but really though, you can likely upgrade that system quite a bit. Might need to change the box it is in, but at least you aren't at ground zero, and you know the base system works

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

Still worse than my videocard that came out in 2010

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-8760-vs-ASUS-Radeon-HD-6870

Best way to think about this game, it is most likely still going to be a few years before this game is "released", so they are aiming for what top end hardware can run right now, not what ever tosteroven your hiding under your desk. You wana run planets? Without game looking like Michal J Fox is holding the camera? Your going to spend ~$1000. maybe 600 or 700 if you hit the lowest end and own a case and monitor and power supply. A $400 desktop is not going to be able to come close to handling this game.

Edit:Yeah, I am a bit Clunas, thats why I normally avoid the forums.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Clunas Junior Engineer

@StuffYouFear I mean, you're not wrong. Strip out the jabs, and yeah that's exactly the price range the OP needed to be looking at.

Speaking of, @Schnitzel can you give us a picture of the inside of your computer case?
    Like this:
    [​IMG]

If your interested in trying to improve your current setup that is

27. Cassius Faux Apprentice Engineer

I run planets around 30 fps. Got a decent amount of stuff. Alien world. Trees at minimum. In a desert. Buuuuuuuuuuuut.. When I go to an area with trees, red ones or snowy ones. My framerate is murdered so horribly that detectives would be lost on the case.

28. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Now now guys, play nice :)

Over the years I've been a rich gamer, a poor game, an even richer gamer and a grownup and I've seen this from all sides.

The simple fact is $400 is never, ever going to be a gaming machine, but many who don't understand PCs are not going to know this, hence all the so called computer stores of the world making a fortune off this. What I tended to find in the UK with these over the counter jobs is they'll promote one specific part - Look at all this RAM or the size of this hard drive - while skimping on everything else. You are only ever as fast as your slowest component as the old mantra goes. Ironically, sometimes hardware which was high end but is several years old and now being thrown away can actually be a lot more powerful than the low end, current market gear. If I only had $400 to spend, I'd consider trying to get a serious gamer's old gear heading for retirement rather.

This of course is why consoles appeal so much to the mass market but few of us PC lot would touch one; they are effectively frozen in time, they come with certain hardware and you know that's it for a good few years to come... the box won't change and games will keep being made for it (and optimized for it). It's a safe way to make sure you only have to drop money every 4+ years and a lot less money at that.

To remain cutting edge (and I mean top 5% performance bracket) you'd probably need to upgrade some (but not all) components yearly and throw a steady stream of money at the problem. To stay high-end, I find a top 15% machine will be excellent for about two years and mediocre for a further 2 or so with a maximum upgrade schedule of 4 years. Tends to be less in a laptop which can be bricks in 3 years and struggling after 1. My usual budget for a 'high' (not extreme) system not including peripherals and screens (which aren't really upgraded over time, just when they break down) is about 1500 GBP/2200 USD. I expect a couple of compromise choices would bring those figures down by a third while remaining a good system.

Once upon a time I was extremely poor; my computers were often partly scavenged and held together with tape. It didn't mean I couldn't game, it just meant I couldn't pull the latest titles off the shelf but had to stick to stuff from a few years ago, and even then the up to date stuff wasn't always a problem. I was main raid leader and main tank in a WoW (Vanilla) guild with a fair few world firsts and never once had above 1 FPS the whole way. I don't think I even realized how much it sucked until a few years later when my career took off and suddenly I could drop a few thousand a year to stay cutting edge.

I've now been through my 20-somethings phase of extreme machines and entered an awkward grown-up state where I have the money to keep doing this, but some annoying voice says 'no, buy another investment property' or some other annoyingly boring thing. I still build high end, but try to stretch it out as long as possible upgrading my machines on the 4 year mark instead of the 2.

• Agree Agree x 3
  29. TodesRitter Moderator

Never buy a pc from a store. Build it on your own or buy the parts and let somebody build it for you.

You know that SE uses his own engine ? if they change the engine they would nearly start from 0.

some people in the forum would react like "do you even know what an alpha is ? ".

• Agree Agree x 5
  30. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

haha reminds me of my computer a couple years ago. I thought it was somehow fine playing World of Tanks at 20fps with everything stripped down. and sure enough when I upgraded to play at a more standard framerate I realized I was doing terrible

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.