Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

We need some SERIOUS optimization for planets.

Discussion in 'General' started by Schnitzel, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

What I was going to chip in with. I bought an I3 for £400 from PC World nearly 9 years ago and it did a good job, updated the gpu but that was it. Trying to play DayZ or SE was an uphill struggle but it worked because its what I had. After spending just over £500 on parts couple years back I now have a cracking gaming that keeps on giving. Buying parts and building it yourself is not for everyone but you learn a hell of a lot while feeling a lot more self satisfaction at making it work. Alot can go wrong especially if you haven't built one before but considering a lumox like me built it first time and its still working its a good learning curve.

2. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

I mean, I have an entirely stock 500$-ish laptop that served my gaming requirements fine for three-plus years. I was able to play Black Mesa, and Space Engineers ran (mostly) fine.

It's only now that it's literally falling apart at the seams that it overheats if I try gaming.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. TodesRitter Moderator

This reminds me to the guy which streamed at twitch how he builds his new computer without a tutorial. it went very bad :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SirLANsalot Apprentice Engineer

Could not have said it better myself. +100,000 for that. I have been on both sides, like you, having to make due with what you got, then finally being able to build the best system known to man at the time.

Truly it is not hard to stay in "high end" land once you reach it, its reaching it in the first place that is the hardest hurdle to cross. This also greatly depends on where you live, and its always best to state that early on when asking for help, because otherwise people are going to assume your from the US. Best suggestion I can make for people looking to break into the high end world of true gaming, start saving! Nice thing about PC gaming is prices usually stay around the same level, even when new stuff shows up, and the old stuff will drop in price. If your wanting a current day system, your looking at least about 2 grand for a system, and thats with a solo card (not SLI). Set aside about 2500 for one with SLI, but that system will last you a LOT longer with two cards, then with one. So set aside about 100 bucks a month, and yes you CAN do that with a min wage job, gotta learn how to budget (might be ramen night for a while LOL). In 2 years you would have the money to get a new top of the line system, and I guarantee you wont be Min Wage by then either, hell a burger flipper would be promoted in 6 months to something better anyways, with better pay. Just have a list of components for your new rig, then update that list as new tech comes out so you know where the price truly sits as time goes on. I have had friends do exactly this, and they even completed there system sooner then 2 years when they got a better job, or promoted, and were able to put more money to the build (and yes some of them were married with kids and were able to do this).

I just did an update to my rig, and am about to do another side grade (just cards only) and taking one of the old cards and dedicating it to physx (Had twin 980 GTX SC's, one died, so I am on one card right now, looking at going twin 980 TI's and taking the solo 980GTX for dedicated physx). Reason I am even going with twin high end cards is I run triple 4k screens, and just the last man standing 980 is having a hard time running games in 4k (when I had both it was fine). I have always gotten SLI systems, as it keeps the preformance in games up, while the system can age. Best example of this happening to me was with my old system (now little bro has it) in which I ran twin 460 GTX's for nearly 3 years (2 nvidia number changes 500's 600's) before getting twin 770's. Those two 460's were some of the best cards I have EVER used, and was able to run on medium/low settings even on Mechwarrior Online during Closed Beta and ran 5 accounts in EvE Online during that time I was playing! Just got to know how to tweak the game settings to keep it looking nice, while keeping FPS up. I now look forward to doing the same with two 980 TI's and the 980 GTX, where I should be able to run for at least 4 years before the system shows its age. Only reason these days to do a full build is when the motherbord cannot handle the amount of RAM your adding (as was the case with my old system), otherwise I would of been still running my first gen i7 920!
    Rest of the system for reference.
    i7 3930k (6 core) 3.2ghz
    16 GB DDR3.
    1200W PSU

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

You know the guy that always electricutes himself while showing experiments and gadgets? Ye thats me...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. frannic Apprentice Engineer

I play on a laptop, i7 16gb ram amd firepro m5100.
    This thing is not designed for gaming, but when i turn the flora to low,no grass, graphics to medium, and turn the resolution down to 1280x something, i can play nicely.
    I get 20-30 fps on planets and around 120 in space.

My point is please try to lower the resolution a lot, turn flora to low, no grass, and graphics to low.
    The lower resolution really helped me a lot in my case and i am very interrested to see what it will do for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ribs Apprentice Engineer

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
  8. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

is it dusty inside?

9. Idartacus [Farstar Gamer] Trainee Engineer

remember: never thrust sellers. thrust more experienced friends, or do it yourslef (wich is always the best otpion). If you want to check it out for yourself, go on sites like tomshardware and so on. plenty of good infos and explanation. i built up my pc from 0 following what i've learned this way, and i am very satisfied

10. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

I was going to suggest it might be something to do with laptops and bodily fluids but im about to have lunch. So I won't.

11. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Its held together by tape.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

Don't upgrade yet, wait for Nvidia Pascal/AMD Polaris at the end of the summer, they are gonna be game changers. AMD demoed one of their new polaris gpus this Jan, and it provided the same level of performance as a GTX 950 with less than half the power draw. This next gen is goimg to provide Titan X performance in a laptop, and the top end card will have the performance of SLI Titan X's in one GPU.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

Thats what Im waiting for, Im still running a sabertooth 990fx verson one motherboard thats 4+ years old with one of the latest amd proccessors just because amd hasnt changed sockets or cpu architecture in that long(mildly change but you know...)

Building your own PC is very rewarding, and you can normally keep costs way down if you aim for one notch below top of the line, I have a asus 970gtx because it was 2/3rd's the price of a 980gtx, and in two years the whole thing will be a wash as that current hardware will quash what ever is put now.

14. Potter Apprentice Engineer

+1 on waiting for the pascal drop. I'd like to see sources @Lt_Duckweed's claims on performance though. It certainly is possible, but I was just browsing OCN and a fee other tech forums looking for news on it and I didn't see any solid sources in performance specs. Though the 16nm node and HBM2 will undoubtedly be the biggest shake up of the GPU market in recent years, so whether your claims are accurate or not it's going to be something to look forward to.

15. chrisb Senior Engineer

Planets run well, although for a while I did start getting paranoid i.e. started checking how each planet run against other types (fps wise). That made the game become more of a test than a game, so I stopped looking at the fps and don't bother now. I haven't had any problems performance wise, that I can see anyway, so I suppose its o.k.

But fps watching can become a habit, that's hard to kick. I know if your having problems it tends to be the first thing to look at. If however, your doing alright or are borderline, don't bother looking and just keep enjoying instead.
    That said, if the game slows to a halt, or near that point. Get off that planet and load a desert one. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

I'll be honest, I don't have a source, it is really hype on my end, bit they are both touting a doubling in perf per watt. I came up with numbers based on that.

17. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Global warming is.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. SirLANsalot Apprentice Engineer

Its cool and all when they cut down on the power consumption of a card, but really its nothing to get all excited about. "yay my card takes less power then before, whoop de effing do". Now if the power cost is cut in half, and the performance is the same, thats nice, now give me a card that takes 200 watts again and tell me the performance, because I really do not care how much power a card takes, there are reasons 1000+ PSU's were made LOL.

I know the new cards are about to drop soon, they always do around march, and you can also sense a new one coming once a Ti variant comes out, as those usually are the top of what that card type can do. Might take my time on pulling the trigger on getting the new cards. Running a solo 980 @4k is pushing its limits (just one screen, and i have 3 monitors that are 4k so I COULD be running 12k games lol), usually having to put games into 1920x1080 to keep frames up, but then can turn setting up to max. Its one half twice the other right now in games, either I can run at 4k but settings at like medium/low, or run at 1920 with settings on high/ultra, depends on the game really. Sad the second GPU gave up and warranty wont take it back (effing buggers).

19. Potter Apprentice Engineer

Based on what I could find on OCN, most are speculating titan X like or better performance from the mid range card, assumed to be GTX 1070. Very exciting indeed.

20. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

I know, right? Like, why the hell did I have to ditch my old 486 with Win95 and DX4. The latest FarCry won't run in my 486, their game is so full of crap. It's ridiculous it requires a NASA computer to run.

• Funny Funny x 5
  21. frannic Apprentice Engineer

You got a 486?!
    Now i'm jealous. :(

• Funny Funny x 3
  22. Devon_v Senior Engineer

I built my own 486. It ran at 80mhz, and had FOUR MEGABYTES OF RAM! It totally ran Dark Legions at 60FPS, and could even run Bioforge!

• Like Like x 2
  23. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

I actually went through almost all stages of CPUs. I had an Amstrad that used cassettes, I had a 386, a 486 SX, a Pentium I, an AMD K6-2, a Pentium 3, at least 2 Pentium 4s, an Intel Core2 Duo (from the dawn of multicore CPUs), a cheap Intel Pentium (a modern low-cost rebrand), and the one I have now, the AMD FX-8350 8x cores. I wish my dad hadn't trashed the Amstrad or the 486, they were truly collectors toys.

24. Potter Apprentice Engineer

Tales of an age gone by.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blako Apprentice Engineer

Conversely, I built a computer with a focus on low power, low heat, low noise. Why? You ask. For editing sound in a hot room.
    :D
    To each their own.

26. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

Well, cards over 300 or so watts start to give air cooling a challenge. Nvidia likes to stay within a 250W TDP. The more power eficient they are, the more performance they can cram inside that thermal envelope. This is also a boon for people with laptops. Being able to max 1080p without having a massive bricktop will be a huge thing for those who either have to, or prefer to, have a laptop. The 980m has a 100 watt TDP, the more performance you can squeeze into 100w, the better.

27. Devon_v Senior Engineer

The biggest boon will be to laptops, but desktops could see some expanded overclocking potential without enormous cooling units. The next generation of consoles should benefit as well.

I've actually got an Atari 800XL and a Commodore 64, but neither works particularly well. Keyboard is dead on the Atari and the C64 overheats something fierce. The Atari does work in console mode though.

28. Potter Apprentice Engineer

If I'm not mistaken, and forgive me for not having a source ready, I've read that Nvidia expects Pascal to have a 60% performance increase over Maxwell.

29. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Yeah, that will come from being able to fit more transisors on the die, but it doesn't necessarily follow that the performance per dollar will increase. They're squeezing more components into a smaller space, the price of the card will determine its ultimate value. I was talking more of being able to design cards with the output of todays cards but with less power draw and less waste heat which is what laptops need most. Consoles tend to be cramped for space and short on cooling, so that would help them as well. In terms of PCs we just get a bigger case and slap a water cooler on it, so while it's nice, it doesn't really give us anything new.

30. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well there's your problem right there. Never EVER listen to a sales guy. Pick out a card. Then go to Youtube and type the card name and the word "review." You can also do this on Google. Get some straight facts about the card that you want and THEN purchase it.

Never trust some guy making $7.25/hr giving you computer advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.